PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig penalty miss

theonlywayisup
28-10-2018, 06:56 AM
On a sad day for football yesterday, it's good to have something funny to divert your attention from the sad events.

Has anyone seen Liam Craig's penalty miss from yesterday?

Apologies if this rekindles memories on another of his penalty misses.

Northernhibee
28-10-2018, 07:03 AM
I like Liam Craig. Good Hibee, decent player, gave it his all and was treated appallingly by some.

GreenArmyyy!
28-10-2018, 07:21 AM
I like Liam Craig. Good Hibee, decent player, gave it his all and was treated appallingly by some.

Echoing on from this Liam Craig was an excellent pro and a decent player as well, treated horrendously by our support though.

Jones28
28-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Echoing on from this Liam Craig was an excellent pro and a decent player as well, treated horrendously by our support though.

He was hounded out by many. A good pro and a Hibs fan who was in a really **** situation. Scored a great penalty against Hearts at ER

weecounty hibby
28-10-2018, 07:33 AM
I liked Liam Craig. He is definitely one of us no matter how some may paint it. Lives a couple of doors away from a pal of mine and still talks very very fondly of Hibs. I met him on the morning if the SC final and said "we" and "us" when talking about Hibs

we are hibs
28-10-2018, 07:36 AM
My main memory of Liam Craig apart from being captain as we went down was that penalty miss at tynecastle. Wasn't even close like the Dundee one the other night. He was bang average and probably suffered by being made captain. Clearly the responsibility was too much for him. Wasn't terrible but wasn't great either.

Northernhibee
28-10-2018, 07:39 AM
My main memory of Liam Craig apart from being captain as we went down was that penalty miss at tynecastle. Wasn't even close like the Dundee one the other night. He was bang average and probably suffered by being made captain. Clearly the responsibility was too much for him. Wasn't terrible but wasn't great either.

He was our top scorer when the Butcher took over. Like a lot of players they suffered from his management. Scored some lovely goals from midfield.

SirDavidsNapper
28-10-2018, 07:41 AM
That squad of players including Liam Craig should not have been anywhere near relegation. Thought he was a good player. He was excellent when we horsed Sevco 4-0.

Pretty Boy
28-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Decent player but my abiding memory is him sitting with his head in his hands at Dingwall. We still had one game to avoid the play offs and the captain should have been taking that squad by the scruff of the neck and telling them as much rather than sitting wallowing in a very public misery.

He did his bit in restoring some pride in the 1st season in the Championship but it was best for all when he moved on. He ended up back where he has shown his best form and we eneded up with a few superior players. A win win in the end really.

Fuzzywuzzy
28-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately for keatings he missed a sitter yesterday. Looked as though the ball got stuck or something. Felt bad for him. Would have been great for his confidence

FilipinoHibs
28-10-2018, 08:02 AM
He was hounded out by many. A good pro and a Hibs fan who was in a really **** situation. Scored a great penalty against Hearts at ER

I thought he stopped trying and was a Celtic fan.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately for keatings he missed a sitter yesterday. Looked as though the ball got stuck or something. Felt bad for him. Would have been great for his confidence

Just seen that one on the news.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 08:06 AM
That squad of players including Liam Craig should not have been anywhere near relegation. Thought he was a good player. He was excellent when we horsed Sevco 4-0.

He had a great run of form as Scott Allan and Dominique Malonga got established and we went from the shambles of the second half of the relegation season to the one that started the Championship badly to the one that finished above Sevco in the league and but for a few injuries might have squeezed through the playoffs.

He's had a good career before and since being with us, and it's good to see a fair few folk acknowledging that he just happened to be at Hibs at a horrific time.

Liam Craig is miles down the list of people who were culpable for our fall from grace.

SChibs
28-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Liam Craig was a decent player. He had a knack of scoring against us and I was delighted when we signed him. For whatever reason it didn't really work out for him at hibs though. The last game against Hearts in the 14/15 season said a lot about the guy. He never got on the pitch but he was celebrating like he had scored the winner.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Tbh when I saw the Dundee one I immediately thought of the one he missed in that derby.

Tom Hart RIP
28-10-2018, 08:23 AM

👍

.Sean.
28-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Liam Craig wasn’t a Hibs fan.

I didn’t mind him, he was just a very ordinary player. That penalty miss aye tynecastle was a shocker however.

Diclonius
28-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Liam Craig's penalty at Tynecastle was the worst penalty by a Hibs player I've ever seen.

If that had gone in our entire season could have been different.

MWHIBBIES
28-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Liam Craig's penalty at Tynecastle was the worst penalty by a Hibs player I've ever seen.

Would we have started beating Dumbarton and Alloa and Falkirk?

We would've gone 1-0 up, that's all that would've been different.

500miles
28-10-2018, 08:46 AM
It's funny, him and Scott Robertson were very decent players. However, Butcher tried to switch Craig to a deep lying playmaker, when he wasn't great defensively, and Robbo was always getting injured.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 09:50 AM

I agree that it's a bit harsh to pin that much on his penalty miss, but seasons pivot on key moments.

I suspect that had it gone in, it might have had a bigger effect on Hearts than it did on us, as we still had a good few weaknesses to work on and a new team to bed in. They got off to a flyer, started the season well and built up a big lead that nobody could peg back. If that penalty had gone in it might have been different, their fans on their backs etc.

It's all ifs buts and maybes.

It all worked out the way it worked out.

Hermit Crab
28-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Mixu's at ER vs Hearts in injury time. They found the ball in Lochend park I believe. 0-0 draw.

Pretty Boy
28-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Mixu's at ER vs Hearts in injury time. They found the ball in Lochend park I believe. 0-0 draw.

Cummings in the semi v United must be up there as well. If you're going to be a smartarse you have to get it right

Smartie
28-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Cummings in the semi v United must be up there as well. If you're going to be a smartarse you have to get it right

Have we ever had anyone be a smartarse (ie try a Panenka) and get it right?

I can only think of Mixu and Jason making a mess of it.

Liam Craig thumped one or two down the middle.

YanYansen
28-10-2018, 10:59 AM
I agree that it's a bit harsh to pin that much on his penalty miss, but seasons pivot on key moments.

I suspect that had it gone in, it might have had a bigger effect on Hearts than it did on us, as we still had a good few weaknesses to work on and a new team to bed in. They got off to a flyer, started the season well and built up a big lead that nobody could peg back. If that penalty had gone in it might have been different, their fans on their backs etc.

It's all ifs buts and maybes.

It all worked out the way it worked out.

Imagine that happened again....

Diclonius
28-10-2018, 11:14 AM

After beating us and Rangers Hearts were flying. The added confidence must surely have helped the scorelines in their thumping wins against the wee teams.

We had a good team and played as well as Hearts in that game. If we had gone ahead we could have easily held on to win (or draw) and experience the same confidence boost.

matty_f
28-10-2018, 11:16 AM
I remember Liam Craig scoring a winner from the spot against Hearts at Easter Road, think it was the penalty that made the fan disappear down a hole in the Famous Five.

RoxburghHibs
28-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Liam like his old man grew up a Celtic fan sadly. That said he was a good pro for us and I prefer to remember his winning new year derby penalty at Easter Road.

Seveno
28-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Liam Craig was one of good players ruined by Butcher.

Lago
28-10-2018, 11:54 AM
:top marks

Hermit Crab
28-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Aye, the ball still is I think.

Eyrie
28-10-2018, 12:12 PM

:agree:

I think much of the criticism he gets is simply because he wasn't able to meet the expectations of the support when he came here. Always looked a useful player for St Johnstone and I was surprised that he never managed to replicate that form for us under Fenlon or Stubbs. Playing under Butcher would prevent anyone doing well.

Northernhibee
28-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Liam like his old man grew up a Celtic fan sadly. That said he was a good pro for us and I prefer to remember his winning new year derby penalty at Easter Road.

His finish in the 4-0 game against Sevco was quality too.