PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crash at the Leicester stadium

overdrive
27-10-2018, 08:06 PM
I see a helicopter has crashed outside the Leicester stadium after the match tonight. Doesn’t sound as if this will have a happy ending.

BoomtownHibees
27-10-2018, 08:07 PM
Seeing some news about the Leicester owners helicopter crashing outside the stadium tonight. Doesn’t look good with the pictures on Twitter etc.

Navids Numpties
27-10-2018, 08:07 PM
Was just about to post this. Leicester’s chairman’s helicopter with him inside has crashed. On sky sports just now

Sir David Gray
27-10-2018, 08:08 PM
The footage looks horrendous, doesn't look good at all.

Del Boy
27-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Looks really bad from the photos, hope those on board are ok

Hermit Crab
27-10-2018, 08:11 PM
No detail on any injuries yet. Hope all involved are ok.

overdrive
27-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Looks really bad from the photos, hope those on board are ok

It seems to have crashed in the car park so there possibly would have people in the car park at the time as well.

Hermit Crab
27-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Media picking it up now, looks like it went up in a ball of flames, doesn't look good at all.

bingo70
27-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Hope everyone is ok but it appears doubtful looking at those pictures.

What a day for the guys at BT Sport, the presenter was visibly shaken after witnessing what happened to Glenn Hoddle, to then witness, or be so close to, a helicopter crash in the same day is horrendous.

CMurdoch
27-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Online photo shows a massive ball of flames, unless they landed softly and bailed out i am afraid all aboard will have perished.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Hope everyone is ok but it appears doubtful looking at those pictures.

What a day for the guys at BT Sport, the presenter was visibly shaken after witnessing what happened to Glenn Hoddle, to then witness, or be so close to, a helicopter crash in the same day is horrendous.

Agreed, Jake Humphrey will not recall this day with any happy memories

Jim44
27-10-2018, 08:52 PM
What is it with helicopters that involves them in more accidents than any other aviation vehicles? Or am I misjudging the facts and statistics,

Iggy Pope
27-10-2018, 08:58 PM
What is it with helicopters that involves them in more accidents than any other aviation vehicles? Or am I misjudging the facts and statistics,

Probably not but probably not near the gist now either.

The 90+2
27-10-2018, 08:59 PM
God bless there are survivors.

Lancs Harp
27-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Sounds horrendous. What was the name of that Chelsea bloke that died in copter crash returning from a match, probably back in the 80s? He was their major investor at the time.

jacomo
27-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Helicopters are terrifying things. Most other vehicles are designed to withstand a failure of their power source.

Cod Boy
Sounds horrendous. What was the name of that Chelsea bloke that died in copter crash returning from a match, probably back in the 80s? He was their major investor at the time.

Matthew Harding I think.

CMurdoch

Matthew Harding

Jim44
Probably not but probably not near the gist now either.

Sorry if my comment is untimely or inappropriate to you, but, as a reluctant flier, this sort of incident freaks me out.

frazeHFC
27-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Was just about to post this. Leicester’s chairman’s helicopter with him inside has crashed. On sky sports just now

Did it actually say he was inside it? BBC saying it's not known whether he was.

Horrific either way.

BoomtownHibees
27-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Horrific either way.

It had landed whilst the post-match analysis was happening on BT Sports and then crashed afterwards so my assumption is that he was on it

frazeHFC
27-10-2018, 09:12 PM
It had landed whilst the post-match analysis was happening on BT Sports and then crashed afterwards so my assumption is that he was on it

Yeah does make sense - would be highly likely.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Helicopters are terrifying things. Most other vehicles are designed to withstand a failure of their power source.

Helicopters are designed to be able to land easier than plane with engine failure apparently, however having been on a helicopter just two weeks ago, it certainly make you think doesn't it.

Iggy Pope
27-10-2018, 09:15 PM

Horrific either way.

Horrific also if you’re in that car park I reckon.

Lancs Harp
27-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Just imagine even seeing that. Traumatic.

BoomtownHibees
27-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Staff car park as well

speedy_gonzales
27-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Helicopters have autorotation, if their engine fails they still have the ability to land, just as aeroplanes can glide.

Ryan69
27-10-2018, 09:42 PM

So true.

At least in a jumbo...you know it's still able togo 400 or so miles with complete engine failure.

Helicopter...Your Ducked

The 90+2
27-10-2018, 09:43 PM

Matthew Harding joint owner with Ken Bates mid 90s

brianmc
27-10-2018, 09:45 PM
So true.

At least in a jumbo...you know it's still able togo 400 or so miles with complete engine failure.

Helicopter...Your Ducked
Not from 200 feet!

LancashireHibby
27-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Really looks an unthinkable, dreadful situation. BT have done tremendously well in their coverage and I’ve no doubt that Gary Lineker found it hard to introduce MOTD just now. Found myself turning over after his introduction, seemed pointless watching the game.

Matthew Harding. Was on the way back from Bolton bearing Chelsea 2-1 in the League Cup at Burnden Park in October 1996 (I was at the game). The anniversary was only 5 days ago.

Zazu62
27-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Surely they must know who was on the helicopter?

Ryan69
27-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Not from 200 feet!

True. But generally

PatHead
27-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Chairman was on board according to BBC.

A statement will be issued tomorrow.

silverhibee
27-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Chairman was on board according to BBC.

A statement will be issued tomorrow.

BBC saying that there was problems with the helicopter when it landed in the ground.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2018, 10:24 PM
BBC saying that there was problems with the helicopter when it landed in the ground.

Surely not, couldn’t Imagine any pilot taking off again if there was.

lyonhibs
27-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Not good. A tragedy has happened here, regardless of who was on board. It wasn't being flown by an Android ultimately.

HH81
28-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Sad times. Looking at the video online anyone onboard won't have stood much chance getting out.

Jones28
28-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Brutal stuff. Eyewitness account from a fan says it was out of control as soon as it emerged from the stadium.

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Still no word on who was on board etc. Seems strange as I’m sure they know by now

Allant1981
28-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Still no word on who was on board etc. Seems strange as I’m sure they know by now

bbc reporting the chairman was on board, not read anything else yet

Bangkok Hibby
28-10-2018, 07:04 AM

If the stories of it "spiralling out of control" are true then it's probably gearbox failure which often stops the tail rotor and sends it spinning to the ground. NO chance of a controlled landing in these circumstances

Bangkok Hibby
28-10-2018, 07:12 AM
Surely not, couldn’t Imagine any pilot taking off again if there was.

Don't know how anybody would know this.
Helicopters companies are duty bound to inform the Civil Aviation Authority of any and all faults and that helicopter is grounded until thorough checks have been carried out. Privately owned though by a billionaire............

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Don't know how anybody would know this.
Helicopters companies are duty bound to inform the Civil Aviation Authority of any and all faults and that helicopter is grounded until thorough checks have been carried out. Privately owned though by a billionaire............

Ownership is immaterial, the pilot wouldn’t have taken off again if it had a fault when landing which makes me think that suggestion is nonsense.

Caversham Green
28-10-2018, 07:24 AM

If there have been fatalities they'll want to inform families directly rather then have them hear it on the news or by social media.

Bangkok Hibby
28-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Ownership is immaterial, the pilot wouldn’t have taken off again if it had a fault when landing which makes me think that suggestion is nonsense.

I agree I doubt very much there was a reported fault and how anyone would know anyway.

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2018, 07:30 AM
If there have been fatalities they'll want to inform families directly rather then have them hear it on the news or by social media.

Yeah good point. Just felt with it happening about 12 hours ago then something would have been released by now

Baldy Foghorn
28-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Saw some pictures on social media. Horrific stuff. By all accounts the messages I read are saying owner was on helicopter.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Been thinking about this. No life is more or less important than another.

Families should be informed their rights respected and I was wondering whether folks on the ground are included in the number of casualties?

Smartie
28-10-2018, 07:59 AM

The aviation industry takes safety very seriously.

Whilst there are still accidents and the odd nutter, they almost never cut corners so I agree that this is most likely nonsense.

Billionaires tend to be a bit smarter than to say "aye, f***k it" when asked if they want to travel in a dodgy helicopter.

If the NHS were in charge of the aviation industry planes would fall out of the sky every 5 minutes.

Betty Boop
28-10-2018, 08:10 AM
What a tragedy. An horrific end to a fairy tale for Leicester. Such a shame.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Whilst there are still accidents and the odd nutter, they almost never cut corners so I agree that this is most likely nonsense.

Billionaires tend to be a bit smarter than to say "aye, f***k it" when asked if they want to travel in a dodgy helicopter.

If the NHS were in charge of the aviation industry planes would fall out of the sky every 5 minutes.

The NHS - I like my lateral thinking as much as the next man but really? Not really sure what you’re trying to get at here NHS gung-ho attitude to patient safety? but perhaps the diversion ends here.

Since90+2
28-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Your post makes sense apart from the last part which is just a ridiculous comparison to make.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 08:27 AM
The NHS - I like my lateral thinking as much as the next man but really? Not really sure what you’re trying to get at here NHS gung-ho attitude to patient safety? but perhaps the diversion ends here.

Just that safety is a bit further down the list of priorities than meeting budgets, targets etc.

Look at the "never events" that happen in hospitals etc compared to the aviation industry.

The aviation industry is held up as something to aspire to within healthcare, as they know they can and should do better.

Leith Green
28-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Im pretty sure if the Leicester owner had survived that we would have heard by now. Horrible thing to happen for the family and the football club.

Ryan69
28-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Just that safety is a bit further down the list of priorities than meeting budgets, targets etc.

Look at the "never events" that happen in hospitals etc compared to the aviation industry.

The aviation industry is held up as something to aspire to within healthcare, as they know they can and should do better.

So the Doctors and nurses are pretty unprofessional then?

Certainly hope you dont need their excellent help anytime soon.

overdrive
28-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Sky News now reporting that the owner was on board.

SeanWilson
28-10-2018, 09:00 AM
What is it with helicopters that involves them in more accidents than any other aviation vehicles? Or am I misjudging the facts and statistics,Physics alone suggests they shouldn't actually be able to fly.

Dreadfully sad news.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
28-10-2018, 09:00 AM
reports saying 5 people were on the helicopter, after seeing pictures id be very surprised if any survived, real shame for the families

frazeHFC
28-10-2018, 09:03 AM
The owner and his daughter on board, along with 2 pilots and an unidentified fifth person, according to sky news.

Eyrie
28-10-2018, 09:10 AM

That's hardly the fault of the NHS or those who work in it. Responsibility lies with the politicians of all parties for setting those targets and not providing sufficient funds to meet them.

Leithenhibby
28-10-2018, 09:11 AM
The owner and his daughter on board, along with 2 pilots and an unidentified fifth person, according to sky news.

Dreadful news...

Smartie
28-10-2018, 09:17 AM
So the Doctors and nurses are pretty unprofessional then?

Certainly hope you dont need their excellent help anytime soon.

They're hugely professional, and are too often let down by not having access to the resources they need to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

Their professionalism and dedication has papered over too many cracks for too long.

It tends to be doctors and nurses who hold opinions like mine in an effort to improve services.

I also hope that I don't need their help any time soon, and I hope that when I do the service is of a high standard. That doesn't tend to be the case when an institution is immune to criticism.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 09:28 AM
That's hardly the fault of the NHS or those who work in it. Responsibility lies with the politicians of all parties for setting those targets and not providing sufficient funds to meet them.

Precisely.

Which is why I am critical of it as an institution rather than pointing at any individuals who work within it.

The aviation industry isn't underfunded, it takes safety more seriously than any other industry and is an example to all others.

kaimendhibs
28-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Absolute tragedy. Heart goes out to all affected.
Wild horses would not get me in a helicopter.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Bangkok Hibby
28-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Absolute tragedy. Heart goes out to all affected.
Wild horses would not get me in a helicopter.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Wish I could say the same. 16 flights a year and although I don't personally know anyone who's died in a crash, I do know people who have lost friends and family. Scary machines indeed.

CraigHibee
28-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Complete tragedy for this to happen, obviously they haven't announced much more information with the exception that the chairman, his daughter and 3 other people were on board but in all honesty it doesnt look like there would be any survivors in this accident. It Was quite harrowing watching the video on sky news of the helicopter on fire knowing potentially there would be people inside

overdrive
28-10-2018, 10:35 AM
I think the fact local hospitals haven’t released any statements saying they are responding to the incident, treating the injured, etc. is pretty telling in terms of there being survivors. You usually get one of those statements pretty quickly after a major incident like this.

staunchhibby
28-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Bit ott to drag nhs into this thread about the helicopter incident.Lots of people have been treated and looked after by nhs.

Seveno
28-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Dreadful that 5 lives were lost but quite amazing that no-one on the ground was killed given the location.

tamig
28-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Bit ott to drag nhs into this thread about the helicopter incident.Lots of people have been treated and looked after by nhs.

That’s not up for debate. The comparison being made was perfectly valid imo.

JimBHibees
28-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Dreadful that 5 lives were lost but quite amazing that no-one on the ground was killed given the location.

Totally agree very sad as the crash is for those involved this could easily have been so much worse given the number of people who would have been in the area at the time.

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Totally agree very sad as the crash is for those involved this could easily have been so much worse given the number of people who would have been in the area at the time.

Agreed, I wonder if the pilot managed to avert a bigger disaster or it was just good fortune in relation to further casualties where it actually came down.

CraigHibee
28-10-2018, 01:07 PM

:agree:

i've had 2 operations with the NHS, can't thank them enough, never had any issue personally with them

28-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Awful indeed, no word as of yet on any deaths or what their conditions are but it doesn't look good.

Thoughts to all the families and everyone connected to LCFC. Puts everything into perspective really.

Paisley Hibby
28-10-2018, 07:28 PM

WTF???? That's a ridiculous and completely inappropriate comment.

overdrive
28-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Confirmed that five died in the crash including the owner.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Owner died along with four others. Just confirmed by Leicester.

CMurdoch
28-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Owner died along with four others. Just confirmed by Leicester.

Sad stuff, never had a chance.

The 90+2
28-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Horrible horrible news.

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2018, 09:22 PM
All five now named, though apparently not yet all been formally identified.

LustForLeith
29-10-2018, 05:12 AM
What now for Leicester? I think they’re trying to cancel their game against Southampton in midweek and they’ve got Cardiff away next week. I can see this having a massive effect on them.

dp00
29-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Terrible news , a club that gave everyone hope. A few years ago everyone was willing them on to win cause it was a great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk