PDA

View Full Version : Rory McIlroy

theonlywayisup
26-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45991575

He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

I hope he can but wonder if he's peaked.

Tornadoes70
26-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Had a bit of a nightmare today. Is he on the decline or can he regain his spot as the world's best golfer.

He has undoubted talent, but doesn't seem capable of doing it consistently well for fourth successive tournament rounds.

Golfers of all standards invariably hit a trough. Golfs a very difficult game to play consistently well all the time and played at disparate courses and in disparate weathers with small but niggling injuries impacting swings. It must be concerning for Mcllroy though that he's very inconsistent at the moment but maybe he just needs a rest from the game for a few months to fine tune fitness and refresh his mindset. He'll definitely reproduce his top form at some point its just a matter of when.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

greenlex
26-10-2018, 06:31 PM
He needs to sort his putting and short game out. He’s wedges and flat stuck are poor fir someone at the top end of the game.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Dons his tin hat. I thnk hes a good player dont get me wrong but is vastly overrated.

Not quite as overrated as Westwood and Casey were but hes getting there.

Tornadoes70
26-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Dons his tin hat. I thnk hes a good player dont get me wrong but is vastly overrated.

Not quite as overrated as Westwood and Casey were but hes getting there.

Just as well you've a tin hat on. You sound much like a rugger fan wading in with both feet to a discussion on football players. :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Smartie
26-10-2018, 11:27 PM
He's a bit of a nightmare on the betting front - because every now and again he puts a few good rounds together and puts himself in contention. When he has a good day with the putter he's deadly, and his drive is some weapon when it stays in play.

The previous poster was 100% right about his wedge play. There are players who you back to put it stone dead regularly from within about 150 yards. Rory is the slackest big name from that distance by some margin.

I still feel he's a tweak away from being best in the world, but he still has horrible, horrible days.

ac1
27-10-2018, 07:05 AM
He is a nightmare to bet on thats a definite :wink:

When he won the Arnold Palmer his final round was untouchable - when he plays like that he would win everything but........

his putting is abysmal at times. Misses so many putts that he should make and ends up making bogey out of nowhere when he hits a 330 yard drive straight down the fairway.

I think he is miles better then Westwood or Casey though. Both of them would chew their own arms off for 4 majors.

Casey is even worse trying to bet on. His bottle seems to crash whenever he is in with a chance. I stopped betting on Casey and Matt Kuchar years ago as they could never be relied on in contention.

Lancs Harp
27-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Just as well you've a tin hat on. You sound much like a rugger fan wading in with both feet to a discussion on football players. :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

I'll have you know that I have holed in one the 18th at Jubilee Gardens Crazy Golf course in Cleveleys, aged only 10. Up the monstrous hill, down the other side, through the little tunnel and straight in the hole. Something Rory hasnt done and never will, as the course has made way for a carpark, pub and cinema.:wink:

I like Rory but as others have alluded to he frustrates the hell out of me.

Smartie
27-10-2018, 09:28 AM
I also wouldn't read too much into what happened this week.

I always get the feeling that when the Ryder Cup is out of the way players play in competitions but don't take them as seriously as when the majors are on.

It is at this time of year he'll be making the biggest changes to try to sort out his problems - this sometimes makes them worse before it makes them any better.

Tornadoes70
10-11-2018, 02:37 PM
He is a nightmare to bet on thats a definite :wink:

When he won the Arnold Palmer his final round was untouchable - when he plays like that he would win everything but........

his putting is abysmal at times. Misses so many putts that he should make and ends up making bogey out of nowhere when he hits a 330 yard drive straight down the fairway.

I think he is miles better then Westwood or Casey though. Both of them would chew their own arms off for 4 majors.

Casey is even worse trying to bet on. His bottle seems to crash whenever he is in with a chance. I stopped betting on Casey and Matt Kuchar years ago as they could never be relied on in contention.

Not had a tour win since 2014. Two shots clear of the field going into the third day of the OHL Classic. He's played brilliantly so far and this could very well prove your reasoning or not as he's well in contention and has a great chance if maintaining his form. Very interesting to find out if he can finally achieve his eighth PGA tour win after going without winning one for such a long period for a player of his undoubted quality and after competing in so many of them.

ac1
11-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Yeah looks like this should be a victory here for Kuchar. Fair play I am not his biggest fan after being burnt a few times but he should be able to get it done here especially as it’s not stellar leaderboard behind him

Smartie
11-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Yeah looks like this should be a victory here for Kuchar. Fair play I am not his biggest fan after being burnt a few times but he should be able to get it done here especially as it’s not stellar leaderboard behind him

Back to back bogeys on 14 and 15 after having been very solid.

Is he going to chuck it away?

Tornadoes70
11-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Watching Kuchar throw it away. Biggest bottle merchant in golf if he lets this one slip.

Tornadoes70
11-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Kuchar 1/66 money on shot a short while ago now 2/5. Unbelievable.

Smartie
11-11-2018, 07:45 PM
This is sheer f*****g torture!

Tornadoes70
11-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Kuuuuuuuccccchhhhhhhh :thumbsup:

ac1
11-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Tense if you had any cash on him but got the job done in the end - Well done if anyone had a few quid on him!

greenlex
11-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Not had a tour win since 2014. Two shots clear of the field going into the third day of the OHL Classic. He's played brilliantly so far and this could very well prove your reasoning or not as he's well in contention and has a great chance if maintaining his form. Very interesting to find out if he can finally achieve his eighth PGA tour win after going without winning one for such a long period for a player of his undoubted quality and after competing in so many of them.
Both him and Westwood win the same day. Spookily they last won the same day the last time they had a win in 2014.

Smartie
11-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Tense if you had any cash on him but got the job done in the end - Well done if anyone had a few quid on him!

I had my entire betting account resting on him (after Garcia failed to win earlier on today).

He certainly made me sweat.

Good for him, he played well over the 4 days and deserved to win. He didn't play badly, just got a bit shaky over a few tricky putts over the back nine.

Tornadoes70
11-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Similarly to yourself mate I've had very little luck continually backing Kuchar until this weekend at a very tasty pre tournament 50/1. The last win I had was some time ago when Andrew Puttnam won so this is a bit payback for me. Delighted.

Both him and Westwood win the same day. Spookily they last won the same day the last time they had a win in 2014.

An outlandish coincidence indeed.

Tornadoes70
14-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Rory apparently considering increasing his participation across the pond in the PGA tour. He wants to be playing with the best more frequently and may give up his European card in doing so. I agree with him in so much that the PGA tour is the better quality of field compared against the European Tour which may seem bizarre to some with the Europeans recently winning the Ryder Cup. I think a switch with committing himself significantly to playing mostly on the PGA tour might just provide him with the consistency kick start he desperately requires. I note he's favourite for the DP championship but I've backed against him due to the inconsistency issues he has and the way he's competed over the last two years or so he should be around a more genuine 25/1 however the bookies are scared of Rory as we all know he has the potential to come out and tear up the field as he could well do in this one. Very interesting indeed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-is-considering-giving-up-his-european-tour-membership-in-2019

theonlywayisup
06-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Rory apparently considering increasing his participation across the pond in the PGA tour. He wants to be playing with the best more frequently and may give up his European card in doing so. I agree with him in so much that the PGA tour is the better quality of field compared against the European Tour which may seem bizarre to some with the Europeans recently winning the Ryder Cup. I think a switch with committing himself significantly to playing mostly on the PGA tour might just provide him with the consistency kick start he desperately requires. I note he's favourite for the DP championship but I've backed against him due to the inconsistency issues he has and the way he's competed over the last two years or so he should be around a more genuine 25/1 however the bookies are scared of Rory as we all know he has the potential to come out and tear up the field as he could well do in this one. Very interesting indeed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-is-considering-giving-up-his-european-tour-membership-in-2019

Was a bit disappointed by the stepping stone comments. I can fully understand why he has made the decision to concentrate on the US tour, but he didn't need to knock the European tour at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Anyway good start so far, he's second going into the final round three behind Woodland. Was surprised how few competitions that Woodland has won, so maybe he's a bottler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46773484

Tornadoes70
07-01-2019, 02:29 AM
Was a bit disappointed by the stepping stone comments. I can fully understand why he has made the decision to concentrate on the US tour, but he didn't need to knock the European tour at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Anyway good start so far, he's second going into the final round three behind Woodland. Was surprised how few competitions that Woodland has won, so maybe he's a bottler.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46773484

Just finished watching Xander Schauffele pip Gary Woodland to the Sentry's. An unbelievable final round of -11 for Xander.

Xander drove over 370 yards then hit another beauty at the last par 5 to finish around 11 feet or so for eagle. He ended up birdieing it but golf has changed so much when they're driving 370 yards with Dustin able to drive 400.

It wasn't so much Woodland shat it more an unbelievable final round from Xander that included two eagles to pip him by a shot.

Magic watching.

Rory had a good tournament but his final round was low key. However, its all about fine tuning games going into the new season's tour and of course the majors.

Smartie
08-01-2019, 11:00 PM
I thought that Rory's game looked in much better shape.

His final round was a bit weak, and I still don't really trust him with a wedge in his hand, but he looked more like himself.

I'm not convinced he has the mental resolve to really dominate. A few times recently I've seen him in contention in the final round but his head goes down a bit too easily - he doesn't seem to have the steely resolve that other contenders have.

Still, it is early days and there are a lot of tournaments to come and go between now and when the majors start.

Schauffele's final round was immense. He's got a major in him this year.

Smartie
13-01-2019, 02:30 AM
Similarly to yourself mate I've had very little luck continually backing Kuchar until this weekend at a very tasty pre tournament 50/1. The last win I had was some time ago when Andrew Puttnam won so this is a bit payback for me. Delighted.

An outlandish coincidence indeed.

Funny coincidence that it is now Kuchar leading the way ahead on Puttnam this week.

Kuchar is playing some great stuff this week, and his win at the end of last year should help him through his often-wobbly final round.

Smartie
13-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Stuttering start for Kuch, it remains to be seen if he's choking again.....

Tornadoes70
17-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Funny coincidence that it is now Kuchar leading the way ahead on Puttnam this week.

Kuchar is playing some great stuff this week, and his win at the end of last year should help him through his often-wobbly final round.

Sorry mate, only just seen this post.

Yes, I was on both Kuch and Andrew Puttnam last week but would have won more if Puttnam had won but a wins a win and very fortunate as its a lottery most weeks.

Kuch has hit a rich vein of form lately but can easily blow cold again whereas Puttnam's up and coming.

:aok:

theonlywayisup
22-02-2019, 06:58 AM
McIlroy seems to be doing better this season - currently leading in the WGC-Mexico Championship. It could have been better had he not had a seven at a par five, after he got into tree trouble.

This follows three successive top-five finish at PGA Tour events. Sounds as if he's putting better that in previous seasons.

Tornadoes70
22-02-2019, 07:26 PM
McIlroy seems to be doing better this season - currently leading in the WGC-Mexico Championship. It could have been better had he not had a seven at a par five, after he got into tree trouble.

This follows three successive top-five finish at PGA Tour events. Sounds as if he's putting better that in previous seasons.

Started his second round really well going a few shots clear then chucks a par five down the drain by going for glory with a shot that wasn't really on ending in the water and taking a six when laying up as the other two did was by far the best option.

Back to only one clear. If I had money on Rory I'd be absolutely fuming at his shot choice there when coasting it.

Looked completely bent to be frankly honest with you.

Sympathies if anyone has money on Rory and he doesn't go on to win it as he literally chucked shots away there.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Tornadoes70
22-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Rory just took four putts from inside 15 feet to chuck yet another two shots to go from coasting it as leader to fall behind DJ.

Literally similar to jockeys jumping from horses to prevent their horse from winning. I've no money on him as I never back him but feel very sorry for those who have as he self inflicts defeat on himself.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

greenlex
09-03-2019, 08:36 PM
I think it’s fair to say that McIlroy is far more consistent this season than he’s been for a very long time. I’ll be having a pint on him at the Masters.

Tornadoes70
09-03-2019, 09:57 PM
I think it’s fair to say that McIlroy is far more consistent this season than he’s been for a very long time. I’ll be having a pint on him at the Masters.

His first two rounds were very average but more than made up for in the third round. He's got that in his locker but can he consistently produce when it matters I'm not so certain. In saying that he should go on to win it tomorrow.

I stuck a fiver on the European Tour sensation that is Matt Wallace at 100/1 pre tournament who's just a shot behind McIIroy and I'd be much more hopeful if McIIroy wasn't up there. Still had a run for my money whatever happens tomorrow with Wallace playing some exciting golf.

Tommy Fleetwood fans and backers must be very disappointed at the way he's capitulated as he looked certain to be in the mix for tomorrow until having a meltdown.

Its going to be very interesting tomorrow as its a tough course with lots of water hazards around so anyone close to the top who has a good round could find themselves in with a shout but if Rory turns up he should win it.

greenlex
10-03-2019, 08:03 AM
His first two rounds were very average but more than made up for in the third round. He's got that in his locker but can he consistently produce when it matters I'm not so certain. In saying that he should go on to win it tomorrow.

I stuck a fiver on the European Tour sensation that is Matt Wallace at 100/1 pre tournament who's just a shot behind McIIroy and I'd be much more hopeful if McIIroy wasn't up there. Still had a run for my money whatever happens tomorrow with Wallace playing some exciting golf.

Tommy Fleetwood fans and backers must be very disappointed at the way he's capitulated as he looked certain to be in the mix for tomorrow until having a meltdown.

Its going to be very interesting tomorrow as its a tough course with lots of water hazards around so anyone close to the top who has a good round could find themselves in with a shout but if Rory turns up he should win it.
My thinking is he’s played 4 times this year finishing 4th twice, 5th and 2nd. He’s right up there this week again. His short game seems miles better. He will win a few times this season I reckon.

theonlywayisup
10-03-2019, 06:56 PM
My thinking is he’s played 4 times this year finishing 4th twice, 5th and 2nd. He’s right up there this week again. His short game seems miles better. He will win a few times this season I reckon.

Tonight he seems to be playing with his handbrake on, but still only two behind.

I think he just needs to get that win and he'll then win a few.

Smartie
10-03-2019, 07:01 PM
He needs a big back 9 and hasn't been impressive enough so far.

Without necessarily reaching Kuchar territory, his final round often lets him down when he's in contention.

If he doesn't get another birdie within his next couple of holes I could see him getting frustrated and then he's hopeless.

Only 2 shots back though, and we all know what he's capable of.........

Golden Bear
10-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Molinari looking strong. If he birdies the last hole then he must fancy his chances.

theonlywayisup
10-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Molinari looking strong. If he birdies the last hole then he must fancy his chances.

What a putt?

Golden Bear
10-03-2019, 07:25 PM

What a putt! 64 last round, sheer brilliance. That will take some catching.

greenlex
10-03-2019, 07:34 PM
The golfs top drawer tonight. Sometimes the pga tour bores me but not tonight.

Golden Bear
10-03-2019, 07:57 PM
The golfs top drawer tonight. Sometimes the pga tour bores me but not tonight.

It must be strange for the American galleries, this is one of the most prestigious events on the Tour yet there's not a USA player in contention.

greenlex
10-03-2019, 08:28 PM
It must be strange for the American galleries, this is one of the most prestigious events on the Tour yet there's not a USA player in contention.
True. :agree:
One by one Molinari’s challengers are fading away or failing to step up to the challenge. Great viewing.

Tornadoes70
10-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Thankfully I didn't put a pile on Rory today as I was sorely tempted to at this morning's price of 7/4. Price looked too good to be true and it turned out to be exactly that.

He's still entirely inconsistent and the bookies pal just now. He'll win sometime but when who knows.

Well done Molinari, some round to come from off the pace to win it.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

greenlex
10-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Fab. Bring on Sawgrass at The Players next week.👏👏👍

Smartie
11-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I love the PGA golf on a Sunday night but I have to say I found it a bit dull last night?

After Molinari posted his excellent score none of the contenders ever really got going so I thought it was a bit of a damp squib.

Rory needs to be doing much more when in contention, and it is interesting to see the difference between the "winners" and the rest. Molinari has become very good at hanging in there through the first 3 rounds and putting a solid final round together, and you could imagine that it will be quite intimidating now for players looking over their shoulder seeing him a few shots back. Coupled with his Ryder cup performance he looks outstanding under pressure and must be a decent shout for more majors this year.

Rory looks to be playing better but there are still too many frailties for the short odds he often finds himself at.

Can't wait until next week. Fantastic course, fantastic tournament, and the season really starts to get interesting here. I think the switch to the calendar is a good thing.

Tornadoes70
11-03-2019, 06:57 PM
I love the PGA golf on a Sunday night but I have to say I found it a bit dull last night?

After Molinari posted his excellent score none of the contenders ever really got going so I thought it was a bit of a damp squib.

Rory needs to be doing much more when in contention, and it is interesting to see the difference between the "winners" and the rest. Molinari has become very good at hanging in there through the first 3 rounds and putting a solid final round together, and you could imagine that it will be quite intimidating now for players looking over their shoulder seeing him a few shots back. Coupled with his Ryder cup performance he looks outstanding under pressure and must be a decent shout for more majors this year.

Rory looks to be playing better but there are still too many frailties for the short odds he often finds himself at.

Can't wait until next week. Fantastic course, fantastic tournament, and the season really starts to get interesting here. I think the switch to the calendar is a good thing.

I agree that it was fairly dull last night due to none of the leading contenders start of Sunday's round making it interesting after Molinari posted his round. Fair dues to Fitzpatrick and Wallace who both had great tournaments despite losing out to the very talented Molinari.

This weeks Players Championship at Sawgrass should be a cracker.

Rory remains frustrating but continues to dominate the betting being joint top with big DJ who in contrast wholly justifies favorite status.

Rory though could of course emerge as the winner but he has to begin well and maintain that form throughout and I'm tempted to pile on him at 12/1 in the hope that he does just that. However, real doubts still persist that he cannot for now appear to maintain a concerted effort rather than the odd very good rounds that put him into threatening positions but fail to materialise into winning ones.

Its weird to see Spieth out at 50/1 and just in case he returns to form I'll put a cheeky wee punt on him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of this lot at the top of the betting - DJ, Thomas, Rose, Rahm, Fowler, Molinari, Koepka win but you can't back them all and I'll be deciding where my ante post bets go over the next two days and whether or not to pile on Rory with a bit held back in reserve for after the cut on Friday evening just in case I've chosen duds. There's also the element that a bigger priced winner can emerge as we've seen many times before and it may pay to look to the likes of Fleetwood, Schaufelle, Kuchar, Finau, Reed, Day, Matsuyama, etc who're all very capable on their day.

Keith Mitchell's been in outstanding form in recent weeks and I'll be watching out for him and a few other outsiders who've been in recent good form to see if they can maintain it when so many of the top players are competing.

Looking forward to it and here's hoping a few Hibbys whoever they pick are in profit by end of play Sunday night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

WeeRussell
13-03-2019, 11:24 AM
I agree that it was fairly dull last night due to none of the leading contenders start of Sunday's round making it interesting after Molinari posted his round. Fair dues to Fitzpatrick and Wallace who both had great tournaments despite losing out to the very talented Molinari.

This weeks Players Championship at Sawgrass should be a cracker.

Rory remains frustrating but continues to dominate the betting being joint top with big DJ who in contrast wholly justifies favorite status.

Rory though could of course emerge as the winner but he has to begin well and maintain that form throughout and I'm tempted to pile on him at 12/1 in the hope that he does just that. However, real doubts still persist that he cannot for now appear to maintain a concerted effort rather than the odd very good rounds that put him into threatening positions but fail to materialise into winning ones.

Its weird to see Spieth out at 50/1 and just in case he returns to form I'll put a cheeky wee punt on him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of this lot at the top of the betting - DJ, Thomas, Rose, Rahm, Fowler, Molinari, Koepka win but you can't back them all and I'll be deciding where my ante post bets go over the next two days and whether or not to pile on Rory with a bit held back in reserve for after the cut on Friday evening just in case I've chosen duds. There's also the element that a bigger priced winner can emerge as we've seen many times before and it may pay to look to the likes of Fleetwood, Schaufelle, Kuchar, Finau, Reed, Day, Matsuyama, etc who're all very capable on their day.

Keith Mitchell's been in outstanding form in recent weeks and I'll be watching out for him and a few other outsiders who've been in recent good form to see if they can maintain it when so many of the top players are competing.

Looking forward to it and here's hoping a few Hibbys whoever they pick are in profit by end of play Sunday night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Really?! I'm more a causal follower of golf but I can't think that Speith should ever be 50/1 for any golf tournament, given his talent.

Smartie
13-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Really?! I'm more a causal follower of golf but I can't think that Speith should ever be 50/1 for any golf tournament, given his talent.

He's 50/1 on paddy power, I just checked.

Same as Patrick Reed (who has been a bit iffy recently but is capable of raising his game) and Lucas Glover.

Crazy odds, I've taken a wee bit of that e/w - they're paying up to 10 places on paddy power as well.

WeeRussell
13-03-2019, 05:29 PM
He's 50/1 on paddy power, I just checked.

Same as Patrick Reed (who has been a bit iffy recently but is capable of raising his game) and Lucas Glover.

Crazy odds, I've taken a wee bit of that e/w - they're paying up to 10 places on paddy power as well.

Right enough - Speith is 60s with 365! May well be out of form and not even make the cut but that has to be too big.

IWasThere2016
14-03-2019, 01:58 PM
On JT at 14/1 .. starts birdie, birdie, birdie, bogey, bogey, birdie :faf:

Smartie
14-03-2019, 08:20 PM
Speith gets 3 6's on the front nine and is sitting at +3.

If it sounds too good to be true.........

WeeRussell
14-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Speith gets 3 6's on the front nine and is sitting at +3.

If it sounds too good to be true.........

I guess if there’s one consolation about not having a great Cheltenham.. it’s that I didn’t manage to get involved in Speith bets 😂

Tornadoes70
15-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Probably the best second round of golf I've ever seen on the PGA. Some spectacular rounds none better than Poulter's whose putter seemed magnetised to the cups.

Don't know if the legend that is Greg Norman's lowest Players Championship overall will be beaten but it should be close if not.

Some amazing golf for a second round.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Tornadoes70
16-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Ladbrokes and William Hill will probably build a statue of Rory McIIroy when he retires as he easily converts from world class to amateur in the space of a day.

Jon Rahm had a brilliant round and could go on to win tomorrow.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Golden Bear
16-03-2019, 09:34 PM
It's building up to a great final day. In a way, Jason Day is the surprise package as he's been struggling recently. He's a dangerous golfer to be up there with a chance of victory and he might just do that tomorrow.

greenlex
17-03-2019, 05:31 PM
4 holes in and any one of a dozen or so could win this.

Tornadoes70
17-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Rory in amateur mode looking as if he's chucked it. The bookies must adore Mciiroy.

Anyone's guess who'll win it at the moment.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

greenlex
17-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Rory in amateur mode looking as if he's chucked it. The bookies must adore Mciiroy.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
Maybe not.:greengrin

greenlex
17-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Mon the Cabbage!!!
Or maybe aye.:greengrin

Smartie
17-03-2019, 07:52 PM
This is a cracking spectacle.

What a shot up the last that is from Furyk!

theonlywayisup
17-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Rahm has been disappointing.

Fleetwood hasn't got going.

greenlex
17-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Someone. Anyone gets a run of two or three going they will win. Might just be Furyk but Mcilroys to lose for me.

greenlex
17-03-2019, 08:39 PM
He’s been close a few weeks now. Got it done. He will win more this season. Masters first.:greengrin

Tornadoes70
17-03-2019, 08:40 PM
All is forgiven Rory!

World Class.

:thumbsup:

Tornadoes70
17-03-2019, 08:43 PM
He’s been close a few weeks now. Got it done. He will win more this season. Masters first.:greengrin

Few hairy moments but as you say he got the job done :aok:.

Can't be too long before Tommy Fleetwood's on the winner trail. A great player.

Well done Rory.

theonlywayisup
17-03-2019, 08:44 PM

Welcome back, Rory!

Golden Bear
17-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Great viewing tonight and for once the pace of play was acceptable. Rory's victory has been coming,I'm regretting not having a wee punt on him.

theonlywayisup
25-08-2019, 08:49 PM
In total control - $15m on the way to Rory

theonlywayisup
08-11-2020, 07:09 AM

It's over two years since I posted the above message.

He's obviously still a fantastic golfer, but doesn't seem to be as competitive as others at the moment.

It feels that every week he talks about getting better more competitive, but then always seems to be a few shots shy of winning.

Andy North and Curtis Strange say a soft course and a focus on big-hitting US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau will work to McIlroy's advantage. I hope they are correct, as I would love Rory to win Augusta.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/54826583

theonlywayisup
20-05-2022, 05:54 AM
Good start to the USPGA.

Heading into this event, McIlroy was a cumulative 35 over par in the first rounds of major championships since his last title in 2014, having been 19 under for his opening rounds in the four years before that. Yesterday, he went round in five under, leading by one.

Let's hope he continues this form into the next three rounds. My fear is that he always seems to have a round when he misses lots of key putts.

Hibby Bairn
20-05-2022, 11:06 AM
I was speaking with someone in Ireland last month who knows McIlroy well. He said that he has other things in his life that he sees as just as and if not more important than golf (always has) and whilst he still likes to win it isn't his absolute focus in life.

AugustaHibs
20-05-2022, 04:14 PM
Rory is the most naturally talented player on tour imo.

greenlex
12-06-2022, 07:56 PM
On unbelievable form tonight. Incredible.

hibeg
13-06-2022, 05:57 AM
Shows what he can do when his short game is hot. Incredible wedge play. Still missed a few short putts though.
It was great watching the final 3 ball going toe to toe

Golden Bear
19-06-2022, 05:42 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight's final round of the US Open. A lot of players still in contention so its anybody's guess who comes out on top. I'd like to see Rory do it but at the same time I'll be rootin for Matt Fitzpatrick as I admire his no nonsense get on with it approach to the game.

ACLeith
19-06-2022, 06:53 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight's final round of the US Open. A lot of players still in contention so its anybody's guess who comes out on top. I'd like to see Rory do it but at the same time I'll be rootin for Matt Fitzpatrick as I admire his no nonsense get on with it approach to the game.

I agree about MF. Him and I have a lot in common - we both putt with the flag in all the time! Don't ask about any other similarities

Scorrie
19-06-2022, 09:19 PM
Enjoy watching the golf but American crowds have got some right dickheads. Shouting all the time…

greenlex
19-06-2022, 09:33 PM
Fabulous viewing tonight. Great entertainment.

Golden Bear
19-06-2022, 10:25 PM
Fabulous viewing tonight. Great entertainment.

Brilliant and for the second Sunday in a row. !

greenlex
19-06-2022, 10:43 PM
Brilliant and for the second Sunday in a row. !

Quite unbelievable.

greenlex
19-06-2022, 10:50 PM
I think I’m more pleased for Billy Foster than Matt Fitzpatrick to be honest. Brilliant.

Golden Bear
19-06-2022, 10:52 PM
I think I’m more pleased for Billy Foster than Matt Fitzpatrick to be honest. Brilliant.

That's been coming for the last couple of months. I'm really chuffed for the guy (and his caddie!)

Smartie
25-06-2022, 05:31 PM
He's having an odd week this week, Rory.

Was 13 under through 29 holes on Friday, then played then next 7 in 5 over on a fairly easy scoring course. That back 9 included a quadruple bogey 8 and a double bogey 6.

As I speak he's just taken 3 strokes to get 180 yards on the 331 yard par 4 2nd before smacking his next up onto the green, looking at another double on a hole that he was trying to drive the green on.

It's one of my golfing nightmares - waiting for the reachable green to clear before duffing it...

He seems to be effortlessly flipping between the sublime and the ridiculous at the moment.