PDA

View Full Version : 4 year deal for Anthony Stokes in Iran

Tom Hart RIP
26-10-2018, 01:03 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3403206/anthony-stokes-celtic-hibs-tractor-sazi/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good for him

heretoday
26-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Where do you get a pint in Iran?

SirDavidsNapper
26-10-2018, 01:43 PM
I think we all know how good Stokes is when he has his head screwed on. Seems like Iran has been a good move for him.

Diclonius
26-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Good to see him doing well.

CMurdoch
26-10-2018, 02:11 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3403206/anthony-stokes-celtic-hibs-tractor-sazi/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good for him

Has he paid the Elvis impersonator yet?

basehibby
26-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Well done Stokesy!

Hopefully you don't get bombed there as the current incumbent American Idiot in Chief seems set upon such a course of action.

The 90+2
26-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Great news for a legend. Brilliant food, less drink although beautiful ladies :)

The 90+2
26-10-2018, 02:14 PM

With his Scottish cup final goal bonus I hear.

Ryan69
26-10-2018, 02:18 PM
At least he wont be able to get into many drunken bust ups in Iran...:)

His teams playing at the moment. 0-0

SouthMoroccoStu
26-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Definitely a legend and we will all always be grateful for his contribution that day in May, he was practically unplayable that day!

He’ll always go with my good wishes but I can’t believe it cost us £200k to get rid of him last season - gross misconduct and breach of contract should have seen him gone

eastcoasthibby
26-10-2018, 02:46 PM
He wont see it out .....unfortunately doesn't have it him to hold it together for that long hope he does cos he has some talent, maybe he should pay back the £200 k contract termination seeing as he took the piss for most of the part of last season he was with us ...

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Definitely a legend and we will all always be grateful for his contribution that day in May, he was practically unplayable that day!

He’ll always go with my good wishes but I can’t believe it cost us £200k to get rid of him last season - gross misconduct and breach of contract should have seen him gone

This has the potential to become another Hibs.net fact.

There's no evidence to support it. The accounts (which have been forensically examined by my lovely assistant Cav and I) are just not clear on it at all.

Col2
26-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Great for him. He should never need to buy a pint in Edinburgh for the rest of his life.

Just like SDG who should never leave the club even when his playing days are over.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Astounded by that! Hope he screws the nut and it works out for him.

GloryGlory
26-10-2018, 03:19 PM

There's no evidence to support it. The accounts (which have been forensically examined by my lovely assistant Cav and I) are just not clear on it at all.

I would assume any payment by Hibs would be at least partly mitigated when he got a contract at another football club.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 04:20 PM

The lovely (and outgoing) Jamie Marwick did however clearly state at the AGM to our shareholders, body of the hall, that a substantial proportion of said loss (tangible assets blah blah blah) was down to the termination of said contract of Mr Antony Stokes. Fact. Not £200k but substantial all the same and indeed, the only loss where such specific reference was made.
No one present queried his statement. You would think unclear accounts might have been questioned by those in a position to scrutinise.

SirDavidsNapper
26-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Great for him. He should never need to buy a pint in Edinburgh for the rest of his life.

Just like SDG who should never leave the club even when his playing days are over.

Great point regarding SDG. I'd love to see him remain at the club in some capacity one he hangs up his boots. He's sown nothing but class since day one.

matty_f
26-10-2018, 04:38 PM

Got to love him for that cup final performance, though.

Since90+2
26-10-2018, 04:43 PM

The question every Hibs fans is dying to have answered.

danhibees1875
26-10-2018, 04:43 PM
The lovely (and outgoing) Jamie Marwick did however clearly state at the AGM to our shareholders, body of the hall, that a substantial proportion of said loss (tangible assets blah blah blah) was down to the termination of said contract of Mr Antony Stokes. Fact. Not £200k but substantial all the same and indeed, the only loss where such specific reference was made.
No one present queried his statement. You would think unclear accounts might have been questioned by those in a position to scrutinise.

The accounts aren't unclear though. They just don't present every little detail. Hibs present what they're required to and are very open and transparent when asked questions in my opinion.

The fact it was brought up voluntarily would lead me to believe that we paid Stokes a decent wedge to leave, but we don't know how much.

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 04:53 PM
The accounts aren't unclear though. They just don't present every little detail. Hibs present what they're required to and are very open and transparent when asked questions in my opinion.

The fact it was brought up voluntarily would lead me to believe that we paid Stokes a decent wedge to leave, but we don't know how much.Let me take you through what we do know....

We got rid of players that had a book value of 190k. Stokes, Fontaine and big Dave. We got nothing for them. So, there's a loss of 190k right there.

The accounts show a loss on disposal of players of 220k. According to Jamie, that happened because we terminated contracts, plural.

So, to get to that figure, the total pay offs had to be 30k.

However, all of that is complicated by the notion that we also received add-ons for Jason Cummings. Nobody knows whether that was the case, or how much it was.

Conclusion therefore.... the total pay offs for all 3 players was 30k PLUS whatever we got for JC's add ons.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 04:54 PM
No one present queried his statement. You would think unclear accounts might have been questioned by those in a position to scrutinise.See above. The 200k wasn't the pay off.

I heard him, and didnt query it because I didn't see any reason to.

danhibees1875
26-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Let me take you through what we do know....

We got rid of players that had a book value of 190k. Stokes, Fontaine and big Dave. We got nothing for them. So, there's a loss of 190k right there.

The accounts show a loss on disposal of players of 220k. According to Jamie, that happened because we terminated contracts, plural.

So, to get to that figure, the total pay offs had to be 30k.

However, all of that is complicated by the notion that we also received add-ons for Jason Cummings. Nobody knows whether that was the case, or how much it was.

Conclusion therefore.... the total pay offs for all 3 players was 30k PLUS whatever we got for JC's add ons.

:agree:

It was only Jamie's decision to reference Stokes without prompt that makes me assume it's a reasonable amount.

Does the receipts on disposals in the cash flow of £270k help us? Is that going to be the money in for JC? Or is it muddied in with something else?

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 05:26 PM
:agree:

It was only Jamie's decision to reference Stokes without prompt that makes me assume it's a reasonable amount.

Does the receipts on disposals in the cash flow of £270k help us? Is that going to be the money in for JC? Or is it muddied in with something else?

The cash flow statement is a dog's breakfast [emoji23] ( code for "I don't understand it"). For example, the additions to intangibles there don't match the intangibles note. I suspect that's to do with timing differences, but.....

Put this another way... had we got rid of Stokes with no pay-off, the accounts would have said a loss of 190k.

Inadvertently, by mentioning it at the AGM, he's shone a light on it and caused this debate.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 06:24 PM
See above. The 200k wasn't the pay off.

I heard him, and didnt query it because I didn't see any reason to.

I know. I stated this in my post.
Substantial part of it he said. Agreed?

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 06:30 PM

The fact it was brought up voluntarily would lead me to believe that we paid Stokes a decent wedge to leave, but we don't know how much.

Jamie Marwick evidently concurs, having delivered this statement quite clearly. That’s my point. There’s no Hibs.net myth here. The paid director has said so. Voluntarily, as you rightly point out. No questions asked. Seemed clear to me on the night that the loss figure was largely down to what we had to pay the man to leave. Until CWG gets Jamie’s job then I’ll stick with what I heard.

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 06:43 PM
I know. I stated this in my post.
Substantial part of it he said. Agreed?The loss on getting rid of AS was the main reason for the 220k figure in the accounts. I agree with that, and don't have a problem with what Jamie said.

That's not the issue, though. Had we paid him and the others nothing, the figure in the accounts would have been 190k. That's what they were valued at, and we got nothing. Hence there was already a loss of 190k before we paid anything to anybody.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 06:51 PM
The loss on getting rid of AS was the main reason for the 220k figure in the accounts. I agree with that, and don't have a problem with what Jamie said.

That's not the issue, though. Had we paid him and the others nothing, the figure in the accounts would have been 190k. That's what they were valued at, and we got nothing. Hence there was already a loss of 190k before we paid anything to anybody.

Terminating Antony Stokes was not the substantiating reason for the loss after all then in your opinion? Would he have been better keeping his trap shut?

danhibees1875
26-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Terminating Antony Stokes was not the substantiating reason for the loss after all then in your opinion? Would he have been better keeping his trap shut?

Presumably stokes was the main contribution to the loss. But the £190k was a loss on disposal of an asset, not any cash changing hands.

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Terminating Antony Stokes was not the substantiating reason for the loss after all then in your opinion? Would he have been better keeping his trap shut?Of the 3 players that we got rid of, AS would have been (By far), the most valuable in the accounts. So, of course, the loss on him would have been much higher than that on the others. Again, there's no argument on that.

One way to settle this. If anyone can tell us how much we got for Cummings in add-ons, we can calculate the total pay offs.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Presumably stokes was the main contribution to the loss. But the £190k was a loss on disposal of an asset, not any cash changing hands.

You should have just left it at that first bit really.
Like Jamie did.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Of the 3 players that we got rid of, AS would have been (By far), the most valuable in the accounts. So, of course, the loss on him would have been much higher than that on the others. Again, there's no argument on that.

One way to settle this. If anyone can tell us how much we got for Cummings in add-ons, we can calculate the total pay offs.

Ships sailed......

Bristolhibby
26-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Would winning the Scottish Cup be worth giving Stokes a wedge of cash and getting him to off ****?

I reckon so.

J

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Would winning the Scottish Cup be worth giving Stokes a wedge of cash and getting him to off ****?

I reckon so.

J

Me too. Definitely not what he said though :greengrin
And by the way, he off ****ed for nowt immediately after winning the Scottish Cup.

J-C
26-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Maybe being away from Scotland/Britain means he's not being tempted by alcohol and daft mates, instead he's having to concentrate on just playing football.

Ryan69
26-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Even if we paid 200k...who cares????

Let's get that problem out the way.

His value that day was far more than money can buy!!

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 07:15 PM

This is true and no .net myth. However, it was a few AGMs ago now.

dp00
26-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Could it be the case that he has went over there , no outside influences and just played football and enjoys it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverhibee
26-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Maybe being away from Scotland/Britain means he's not being tempted by alcohol and daft mates, instead he's having to concentrate on just playing football.

He was back in Edinburgh a few weeks ago, sure the club he is at will give him time off to come back home to see family every now and then.

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 09:13 PM
He was back in Edinburgh a few weeks ago, sure the club he is at will give him time off to come back home to see family every now and then.Next time he's home, gonny ask him how much his pay off was? [emoji16]

Mibbes Aye
26-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Don't know about daft mates but there's a bit of a misconception in the West about alcohol in Iran.

It's illegal and the police do crack down on it with varying degrees of frequency and intensity (though non-Muslims are allowed to make their own, for their own consumption).

Nevertheless, alcohol use is still widespread amongst Iranians, especially the middle classes or wealthier elements, whether home brew or smuggled in through Iraq etc.

Stokes or any other European plying their trade in Iranian football won't have any trouble getting their hands on drink, it just takes place at home rather than in a pub or club.

Mick O'Rourke
26-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Don't know about daft mates but there's a bit of a misconception in the West about alcohol in Iran.

It's illegal and the police do crack down on it with varying degrees of frequency and intensity (though non-Muslims are allowed to make their own, for their own consumption).

Nevertheless, alcohol use is still widespread amongst Iranians, especially the middle classes or wealthier elements, whether home brew or smuggled in through Iraq etc.

Stokes or any other European plying their trade in Iranian football won't have any trouble getting their hands on drink, it just takes place at home rather than in a pub or club.

Anthony will have no problem getting his Iran Bru

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2018, 01:44 PM
The worst thing that happened in the whole AS saga in all of his stints as a player was our decision to bring him back the third time … I didn't agree with it at the time and given what transpired I was right.

But not a jot of that changes the fact that Anthony Stokes is and always will be a Hibs legend and when the time comes his third time at the club will be forgotten and all that will be left is Anthony Stokes the legend … that's how it will be for this Hibs fan anyway.

Hope he makes a go of it in Iran … though ah hae ma doots :greengrin

A Hi-Bee
27-10-2018, 02:59 PM
The worst thing that happened in the whole AS saga in all of his stints as a player was our decision to bring him back the third time … I didn't agree with it at the time and given what transpired I was right.

But not a jot of that changes the fact that Anthony Stokes is and always will be a Hibs legend and when the time comes his third time at the club will be forgotten and all that will be left is Anthony Stokes the legend … that's how it will be for this Hibs fan anyway.

Goog luck to a legend, The Anthony Stokes Scottish Cup Final forever in the history books now.

The 90+2
27-10-2018, 04:09 PM

And he’s made the club much much much more since then.

weecounty hibby
27-10-2018, 04:20 PM

When he came back for the third time me and my son had been waiting all summer for the announcement and even my Mrs was excited about it. When he did sign it was amazing and we got ourselves down to ER bought the new strip and like almost every other kid he got Stokes 28 on the back. We really really hoped he would consistently play like he did in the SC final when he was magnificent. Total legend for that one day alone and I wish him all the best wherever he goes but it ended so disappointingly. Would love to have a few beers with him and he wouldn't have to out his hand in his pocket all night!

Renfrew_Hibby
27-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Where do you get a pint in Iran?

Believe it or not, Christians in Iran can freely drink alcohol!
The Iranian national team either has or recently have had a Christian captain and he celebrated victories with a glass or two of the local Persian vino.

This is Persia remember, not Saudi or some gulf/Arab state.
Actually very different.

theonlywayisup
28-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Like of non Iranian players to have played in Iran.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_footballers_in_the_Persian_Gulf_Pr o_League

Interesting that one of Stokes teammates is Harry Forester once of The Rangers. They could obviously pass time talking about that day in May 2016. Forester was out injured at the time having been injured in the Challenge Cup Final.

Smartie
28-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Goog luck to a legend, The Anthony Stokes Scottish Cup Final forever in the history books now.

I think we should also be pretty grateful to Neil Lennon for cutting short the nonsense before it got bitter or messy, so in years to come we can continue to properly appreciate Stokesy's contribution to our club.

There's a wee part of me wonders whether it will be a help or a hindrance to him in 20 years time to have parts of the world where he need never buy a drink again though......

Jamesie
28-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Jamie Marwick evidently concurs, having delivered this statement quite clearly. That’s my point. There’s no Hibs.net myth here. The paid director has said so. Voluntarily, as you rightly point out. No questions asked. Seemed clear to me on the night that the loss figure was largely down to what we had to pay the man to leave. Until CWG gets Jamie’s job then I’ll stick with what I heard.

I'm glad someone else heard what I heard!

scoopyboy
02-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Tractor-Sazi 2-0 up after 32 minutes against Peykan.

Stokesy scored the second in the 10th minute.

He scores most games.

flash
02-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Tractor-Sazi 2-0 up after 32 minutes against Peykan.

Stokesy scored the second in the 10th minute.

He scores most games.

He is doing well there. We are doing well here. Seems like a pretty good resolution to it all.

scoopyboy
02-11-2018, 11:54 AM
He is doing well there. We are doing well here. Seems like a pretty good resolution to it all.

indeed

Jamesie
02-11-2018, 05:37 PM
The Iranian national team either has or recently have had a Christian captain and he celebrated victories with a glass or two of the local Persian vino.

Actually very different.

When I was in Iran in 2012 it was a very interesting experience to compare and contrast the Shia areas of one of the more conservative cities, Isfahan, with its Armenian Christian quarter, Jolfa. I believe there are certain shops in Jolfa where alcohol is served, far from liberally though, to Armenian Christians.

Jamesie
02-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Even if we had to pay off say £180k, I think most of us would happily pay effectively £90k per goal for Stokes' strikes on 21 May 2016!

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Actually very different.

I am of Persian Jewish descent on fathers side and they freely buy and scoop up wine and beer at home bought from shops. Stokes will just have to have a bar in his house.