PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Europe

Austinho
26-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Just seen the results of our European Cup Quarter and Semi Final are recorded on the official UEFA Champions League website:

http://i.imgur.com/XLdEQf9.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fGx1GPO.jpg

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/season=1955/matches/round=893/match=61175/index.html?iv=true

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/season=1955/matches/round=892/match=61167/index.html?iv=true

So there it is, immortalised and set in stone: Hibernian FC - European Cup semi finalists. What an honour. 2 games away from being the Champions of Europe. Manchester City haven’t managed that yet.

An achievement that our rivals try to belittle by the fact we were invited yada yada yada. Eventual winners Real Madrid don’t seem to care, displaying that seasons European Cup as equally proudly alongside the other 12 they’ve won. It was part of the famous La Decima, and now their La Decimotercera. If it’s important enough for the greatest club on the planet, it’s good enough for us:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTSpntuXvyavsMcSkAIDI7gKQBf6Fa J7VZp06r13C_bkenLMav3

And with derby day looming, and petty arguments and rival banter aplenty, let us just remind our maroon chums that Hibernian are absolute European giants in comparison to them:

Hibernian
European Cup: Semi Finalists x1
Fairs Cup: Semi Finalists x1, Quarter Finalists x2
Cup Winners Cup: Quarter Finalists x1
UEFA Cup: Round 2

Heart of Midlothian
European Cup: Qualifying Round Three
Fairs Cup: Round 3
Cup Winners Cup: Round 2
UEFA Cup: Quarter Finalists x1

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2018, 06:48 AM
I can almost hear the music..... .

........ THE CHAMPIONS! :greengrin

monarch
26-10-2018, 09:52 AM
If away goals had counted double in the early sixties we would have been Fairs Cup finalists.

hfc rd
26-10-2018, 09:55 AM
I thought Vlad promised everyone Hearts would have won the Champions League by now? Wonder what the delay is?

SirDavidsNapper
26-10-2018, 09:59 AM
I thought Vlad promised everyone Hearts would have won the Champions League by now? Wonder what the delay is?

They're concentrating on winning the "wee cup" instead.

hfc rd
26-10-2018, 10:03 AM

That’s a bit strange? They are far too big a club to be concentrating on trying to win the “wee cup”! Thought they told us that “wee cup” is for small clubs like Hibs to try and win, not the mighty BIG famous Heart of Midlothian who have bigger fish to fry with Europe’s elite for continental success?

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Hearts operate under the name of Real Madrid when they play in Europe, I thought this was common knowledge :wink:

SirDavidsNapper
26-10-2018, 10:11 AM
That’s a bit strange? They are far too big a club to be concentrating on trying to win the “wee cup”! Thought they told us that “wee cup” is for small clubs like Hibs to try and win, not the mighty BIG famous Heart of Midlothian who have bigger fish to fry with Europe’s elite for continental success?

They did tell us that. Fast forward a few years and a "wee cup" semi final at Murrayfield is their cup final. Infact wouldn't be surprised if they release a DVD about it.

Eyrie
26-10-2018, 10:45 AM
They did tell us that. Fast forward a few years and a "wee cup" semi final at Murrayfield is their cup final. Infact wouldn't be surprised if they release a DVD about it.

Probably to celebrate drawing with Celtc at half time. The second 45 minutes won't be included for obvious reasons which would normally make the DVD half price but the Hearts support are used to paying full price for an inferior product.

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 11:14 AM
I always thought UEFA should recognise the trailblazers who participated in the first ever European cup by affording them the honour of some sort of insignia on their strip reflecting the fact … perhaps the UEFA badge worn permanently on a sleeve or something.

It shouldn't be forgotten that some clubs / FA's were sceptical of European competition and clubs like us paved the way by accepting the invitation to participate when others turned it down. In view of the fact that a few of the clubs who took part in the first competition are highly unlikely to make a dent in European competition in the future it would be a nice gesture by UEFA.

Perhaps Hibs could moot the idea to UEFA on the QT …. they might like the idea as it would show to some extent that it isn't all about the giants of the game all the time and the contribution of clubs like Hibs, Rot - Weiss Essen and especially Reims hasn't been forgotten.

It isn't lost on me that such an accolade wouldn't half piss off the Jambos :greengrin

Austinho
26-10-2018, 11:20 AM
I always thought UEFA should recognise the trailblazers who participated in the first ever European cup by affording them the honour of some sort of insignia on their strip reflecting the fact … perhaps the UEFA badge worn permanently on a sleeve or something.

It shouldn't be forgotten that some clubs / FA's were sceptical of European competition and clubs like us paved the way by accepting the invitation to participate when others turned it down. In view of the fact that a few of the clubs who took part in the first competition are highly unlikely to make a dent in European competition in the future it would be a nice gesture by UEFA.

Perhaps Hibs could moot the idea to UEFA on the QT …. they might like the idea as it would show to some extent that it isn't all about the giants of the game all the time and the contribution of clubs like Hibs, Rot - Weiss Essen and especially Reims hasn't been forgotten.

It isn't lost on me that such an accolade wouldn't half piss off the Jambos :greengrinI love that idea. I’d even encourage you to get in touch with the club about it.

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 11:37 AM
I love that idea. I’d even encourage you to get in touch with the club about it.

Definitely going to.

I think if Hibs were to be in receipt of such an honour it would be a good selling point for us when it comes to attracting new supporters, fans love stuff like this that adds to the uniqueness of their club, and IMO it would certainly do that, I would hope the commercial possibilities wouldn't be lost on Hibs, or the possibility of a bit of oneupmanship over our city rivals :greengrin

Perhaps we could begin with an approach to the clubs concerned who like us have fallen from grace compared to the likes of Real Madrid and PSV with a view to making a joint approach to UEFA.

Deek9
26-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Definitely going to.

I think if Hibs were to be in receipt of such an honour it would be a good selling point for us when it comes to attracting new supporters, fans love stuff like this that adds to the uniqueness of their club, and IMO it would certainly do that, I would hope the commercial possibilities wouldn't be lost on Hibs, or the possibility of a bit of oneupmanship over our city rivals :greengrin

Perhaps we could begin with an approach to the clubs concerned who like us have fallen from grace compared to the likes of Real Madrid and PSV with a view to making a joint approach to UEFA.
That is an excellent idea mate. Go for it.

monarch
26-10-2018, 12:53 PM

It isn't lost on me that such an accolade wouldn't half piss off the Jambos :greengrin

Celtic were initially very critical of our teams playing in European competitions (also of playing under floodlights). To be fair they still don’t appear t be comfortable playing against European opposition.
:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 12:56 PM
That is an excellent idea mate. Go for it.

E Mail sent and in the current and highly impressive way Hibs have of operating these days I have received an almost instant and ( I'm pleased to say ) positive response from the club. :greengrin

ancient hibee
26-10-2018, 12:57 PM
To quote “revered Celtic chairman Sir Robert Kelly”. “there’s no future in European football”.

Austinho
26-10-2018, 01:56 PM
E Mail sent and in the current and highly impressive way Hibs have of operating these days I have received an almost instant and ( I'm pleased to say ) positive response from the club. :greengrinGood on you! Would love to see the dialogue.

Sheffield FC were awarded a FIFA Order of Merit for being the world’s oldest football club. Whilst our escapades don’t quite match that, perhaps even simply a plaque from UEFA could be arranged. Something along the lines of ‘Inaugural European Cup participants’ or similar.

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Good on you! Would love to see the dialogue.

Sheffield FC were awarded a FIFA Order of Merit for being the world’s oldest football club. Whilst our escapades don’t quite match that, perhaps even simply a plaque from UEFA could be arranged. Something along the lines of ‘Inaugural European Cup participants’ or similar.

Nah mate. For me it has to be something we can display permanently on the strip and other official merchandise for all the world to see, that way it not only enables Hibs to exploit it commercially, it also enables us as supporters to shove it down the throats of certain other clubs who seem to think they are better than us :aok:

SirDavidsNapper
26-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Just seen the results of our European Cup Quarter and Semi Final are recorded on the official UEFA Champions League website:

http://i.imgur.com/XLdEQf9.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fGx1GPO.jpg

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/season=1955/matches/round=893/match=61175/index.html?iv=true

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/season=1955/matches/round=892/match=61167/index.html?iv=true

So there it is, immortalised and set in stone: Hibernian FC - European Cup semi finalists. What an honour. 2 games away from being the Champions of Europe. Manchester City haven’t managed that yet.

An achievement that our rivals try to belittle by the fact we were invited yada yada yada. Eventual winners Real Madrid don’t seem to care, displaying that seasons European Cup as equally proudly alongside the other 12 they’ve won. It was part of the famous La Decima, and now their La Decimotercera. If it’s important enough for the greatest club on the planet, it’s good enough for us:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTSpntuXvyavsMcSkAIDI7gKQBf6Fa J7VZp06r13C_bkenLMav3

And with derby day looming, and petty arguments and rival banter aplenty, let us just remind our maroon chums that Hibernian are absolute European giants in comparison to them:

Hibernian
European Cup: Semi Finalists x1
Fairs Cup: Semi Finalists x1, Quarter Finalists x2
Cup Winners Cup: Quarter Finalists x1
UEFA Cup: Round 2

Heart of Midlothian
European Cup: Qualifying Round Three
Fairs Cup: Round 3
Cup Winners Cup: Round 2
UEFA Cup: Quarter Finalists x1
World War 1 - Winners
World War 2 - Winners

Better give Hearts war efforts a mention

Mick O'Rourke
26-10-2018, 02:58 PM
The Hibernian chairman at the time,Harry Swan,has in the past come in for criticism, regarding "The Harp Affair".
However, it must be remembered that Harry was way ahead of his time in his thinking on how football would develop, both during his tenure at the club and after.
He said when becoming chairman of the Club " i will make this club great again"
Well he did.

3 League championships and the best brand of football in the UK/Europe.
And some say more would have been won had it not been for the War !

Not to mention a forward line that was known far and wide.

Even in South America,where Hibernian of course went on tour in the 1950s.

Hibernian invented the term "Floodlight Match"
Midweek evening matches against English and European sides.

All before the Fairs Cup (now Europa League) and Cup winners Cup(merged into Europa League)

No one else was doing it "The Hibs Way",but clubs soon followed suit.

All down to Harry Swan.

For younger fans, do search "Harry Swan Hibernian"
This is a wee bit about Harry Swan i copied from an old EEN article

[Harry Swan was not only Hibs’ guiding light for 30 years, but one of Scottish football’s greatest thinkers and innovators, a legislator and a visionary far ahead of his time.
Among the many predictions he would make before they ultimately came to pass were competitive European football, shirt sponsorship, the introduction of floodlights, all-seated stadiums and reconstruction of the leagues]

Well he got that right !
Remarkable man

I mentioned The Harp Affair", the removal of that emblem from the club stand/entrance.
Harry took the flak for that.
i think a stand could have been named in his honour.
His place in Hibernian/Scottish football merits some recognition.
As does the club for its pioneering in European football.

GGTTH

Here’s Lucy!
26-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Ain't it funny how it keeps changing name? :confused:

It was 'wee' in 2007. It was 'big' in 2013.

2018? Well, that depends on what happens at Murrayfield, doesn't it?

Hope it becomes the 'wee cup' again on Sunday.