PDA

View Full Version : Let’s have a beer at Easter Road. And the PBS. And Ibrox. And Hampden...

3pm
25-10-2018, 08:44 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45970058

Billy Whizz
25-10-2018, 08:47 PM
No thanks

calumhibee1
25-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Not for me.

Hillsidehibby
25-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Nah. Bad enough people going back and forward during the game.

Give their bladders a rest!

Plus they would charge a fortune for pisswater

cleanyman
25-10-2018, 08:54 PM
I vote no

Diclonius
25-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Nah.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2018, 08:56 PM
I’ll pass 🤔

Hulk1875
25-10-2018, 09:00 PM
When we all go to Germany or that for a football match we all rave about being able to get a beer, it has too happen we need to move on. Then again the way catering is going at ER we’d end up with flat warm beer along with horrible hard pies

Paul1642
25-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Surprised at lack of support for this. As it is now fans determined to get pissed just drink as much as they can before the game so turn up steaming. Allow a few beers during the game and it might do away with that. Reminds me of when I lived in England and in pubs people would be on the shots by half 9 because the pub shuts at 11. I don’t see that up here due to the later opening hours.

Hulk1875
25-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Surprised at lack of support for this. As it is now fans determined to get pissed just drink as much as they can before the game so turn up steaming. Allow a few beers during the game and it might do away with that. Reminds me of when I lived in England and in pubs people would be on the shots by half 9 because the pub shuts at 11. I don’t see that up here due to the later opening hours.

I very rarely go to the pub before matches but as you say people that do some try get in as many pints as possible but if you can get one at the game there’s no need too

Elephant Stone
25-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Yes. Adds to the experience for those who do want to drink, more money to the clubs and an improvement in atmosphere too. 100% in favour of this.

Lancs Harp
25-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Is this a reference to taking a beer into the seating area,like say Germany or just being able to buy and consume under the stands before the game and at halftime like in England?

Not bothered either way myself, I like a drink on my football days but prefer a bevvy or two in the pub before the game, not botheredpersonally about getting a drink at the ground. The stuff they normally serve in England is overpriced and pretty dire but Im sure younger elements in our support would like to indulge* :greengrin

* I say that based on experience in England where its usually "the lads" hogging the bar areas under the stands from about the 40th minute to the 50th minute.

MWHIBBIES
25-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Don't want it. Days out at Hampden are miserable with pished fans everywhere, fighting etc.

I don't think it will happen anyway, the amount of incidents involving fans on the pitch in Scotland is far too much. Many cannot be trusted.

Sir David Gray
25-10-2018, 09:40 PM
I think it could work at low risk games i.e. Dundee v Livingston, Motherwell v St Johnstone etc and see no reason why it cannot be done.

Higher risk games i.e. Rangers v Celtic, Hibs v Hearts would be a big no-no and I can't see that ever changing. There's already enough of a security risk at these games as it is, without making alcohol available within the stadium.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:42 PM
No way I would want our club selling drink to the Glasgow **** that come and also hearts. Can you imagine the carnage and abuse in the ground?

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Don't want it. Days out at Hampden are miserable with pished fans everywhere, fighting etc.

I don't think it will happen anyway, the amount of incidents involving fans on the pitch in Scotland is far too much. Many cannot be trusted.

Hampden might be different looking at it, many fans are smashed before the game drinking fast as they can before hand. If they sold pints in the ground it might actually be more relaxed.

hibby6270
25-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Selling alcohol in the ground would be a backward step imo.
OK - you can’t stop those going to the pub before a match but as others have said, there are some right disruptive pissheads who ruin games for the majority.
Once again we’d be pandering to the minority by bringing it in.
And another point, when was it ever sold in grounds previously? Not in my lifetime as I recall.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Selling alcohol in the ground would be a backward step imo.
OK - you can’t stop those going to the pub before a match but as others have said, there are some right disruptive pissheads who ruin games for the majority.
Once again we’d be pandering to the minority by bringing it in.
And another point, when was it ever sold in grounds previously? Not in my lifetime as I recall.

What about a drinking stand like the family stand?

superfurryhibby
25-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Not for me. Too many pissed up ersepieces as it is.

Surely the bevvy merchants can last a couple of hours without peeve.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Not for me. Too many pissed up ersepieces as it is.

Surely the bevvy merchants can last a couple of hours without peeve.

Perhaps it would encourage more people to come to the game if they can have a couple of pints there instead of sitting in the boozer?

ancient hibee
25-10-2018, 09:57 PM
No thanks.Fortunately it’ll never happen the Scottish Government already warns about lives ruined by alcohol and won’t relax drink laws.

NGP
25-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Most grounds in Scotland can't handle the queues for the food, let alone booze. Not too fussed either way, but if it happened it would be overpriced plastic glass poor quality beer. Not for me, but if people want to pay £5 for a pint of Fosters, their choice.

superfurryhibby
25-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Perhaps it would encourage more people to come to the game if they can have a couple of pints there instead of sitting in the boozer?

I doubt the numbers of people who don’t go to games because they can’t drink is significant. It’s been well over thirty years since alcohol was banned at games.

Maybe the probable heightened incidences of peeved idiocy would deter folk though?

hibby6270
25-10-2018, 10:04 PM
What about a drinking stand like the family stand?

LOL. Might resolve the empty seats conundrum in the allegedly “sold out” FF I suppose.:rolleyes:

Still don’t agree with it mind you!!

hibby6270
25-10-2018, 10:09 PM
I doubt the numbers of people who don’t go to games because they can’t drink is significant. It’s been well over thirty years since alcohol was banned at games.

Maybe the probable heightened incidences of peeved idiocy would deter folk though?

Banned at bringing it in to games - yes - but it’s never been sold inside the ground before. Has it?
Think that’s what most folk on here are objecting to.

superfurryhibby
25-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Banned at bringing it in to games - yes - but it’s never been sold inside the ground before. Has it?
Think that’s what most folk on here are objecting to.

Certainly never sold on the terracing.

I think most folk are actually in favour of keeping stadiums drink free during matches.

marleyhib
25-10-2018, 10:14 PM
100% yes from me, you can eveywhere else in Europe so why not here.

ancient hibee
25-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Certainly never sold on the terracing.

I think most folk are actually in favour of keeping stadiums drink free during matches.
Never ever sold within a ground only behind the scenes in hospitality areas or in fans bars without access from the ground.In my young days OF fans used to get off the train outside ER and lug crates up onto the terracing.Many a fortune founded on collecting the empties:greengrin.

SideBurns
25-10-2018, 10:23 PM
I doubt I'd bother with a pint at the game as I like my pre and post match pub time, but are we seriously suggesting the English are able to manage this situation but the Scots can't? After all, the original ban on alcohol was a knee- jerk response to the 1980 cup final riot, and no-one is advocating a return to cairry-oots on the terracing!

It could provide much needed finance to our clubs, and won't make any difference to those who turn up blootered in the first place. If the polis did their jobs properly then the "bevvy merchants" wouldn't get into the ground anyway!

Hibbyradge
25-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Of course we should have this available.

IberianHibernian
25-10-2018, 10:36 PM
100% yes from me, you can eveywhere else in Europe so why not here.Where in Europe is alcohol sold in stadiums without control ? Germany is often mentioned but even then I`m sure there are restrictions . In Spain they used to sell beer in grounds but since about 10 years ago there are strict controls with clubs being fined and now only low/non alcohol beers are sold in plastic glasses . Whole issue of booze in Scottish stadium seems to be an issue promoted in press ( maybe encouraged by brewers who sponsor clubs and advertise in papers ) but with little support among fans .

yonder1875
25-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Absolute no brainer. Over the past couple of years I’ve watched football in Brazil and Germany with a beer and some rowdy fans and it’s not a problem there. Why should we be holding back on a better fan experience?

Or if some people don’t want to be near drunk people, introduce areas of the stadium where you can drink and other areas that you can’t e.g family areas.

joebakerforever
25-10-2018, 10:44 PM
I go to watch the match and if folk need an alcohol fix during the match then why should the rest of us have our view interrupted by others needing to fill or empty their bladders during play?

If alcohol is to be sold at ER, then it should be restricted to 30 mins before kick-off & consumption should be limited to specific hospitality areas outwith the match viewing arena.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Where in Europe is alcohol sold in stadiums without control ? Germany is often mentioned but even then I`m sure there are restrictions . In Spain they used to sell beer in grounds but since about 10 years ago there are strict controls with clubs being fined and now only low/non alcohol beers are sold in plastic glasses . Whole issue of booze in Scottish stadium seems to be an issue promoted in press ( maybe encouraged by brewers who sponsor clubs and advertise in papers ) but with little support among fans .

Is anyone suggesting that there would be no controls?

Hibbyradge
25-10-2018, 10:50 PM
I go to watch the match and if folk need an alcohol fix during the match then why should the rest of us have our view interrupted by others needing to fill or empty their bladders during play?

If alcohol is to be sold at ER, then it should be restricted to 30 mins before kick-off & consumption should be limited to specific hospitality areas outwith the match viewing arena.

Folk are allowed to fill and empty their bladders now.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 11:11 PM

Some would be encouraged more though if there was drinking allowed in the stadium and more importantly the club would reap the profits instead of boozers. I’m not fussy either way to be honest but it’s worth investigating into.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 11:12 PM
LOL. Might resolve the empty seats conundrum in the allegedly “sold out” FF I suppose.:rolleyes:

Still don’t agree with it mind you!!

I would probably situate the drinking section beside the away support category b games. It would also allow the peaceful away supports to be served also.

Nobody is going to sit and get smashed either, down South you can get a pint per person at Newcastle just not allowed to take up to the stands.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 11:16 PM

Should we restrict food and juice sales similarly? I got to Easter Road to watch the football, not having to stand up every five minutes for greedy gits going up and down getting food and their caffeine fix or is that different?

It doesn’t bother my either way by the way I wouldn’t actually moan about neither.

marleyhib
25-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Where in Europe is alcohol sold in stadiums without control ? Germany is often mentioned but even then I`m sure there are restrictions . In Spain they used to sell beer in grounds but since about 10 years ago there are strict controls with clubs being fined and now only low/non alcohol beers are sold in plastic glasses . Whole issue of booze in Scottish stadium seems to be an issue promoted in press ( maybe encouraged by brewers who sponsor clubs and advertise in papers ) but with little support among fans .

I never mentioned anything about no control. I don’t think you can say it has little support amongst fans either, I think you are basically spouting nonsense.

Crunchie
25-10-2018, 11:58 PM
I personally think it would be an unmitigated disaster if they allowed drink back into football for the masses. This country is unlike any other when it comes to alcohol consumption and football.

tamsonsbairn
26-10-2018, 12:45 AM
As a publican who ran a pub in easter road i would be dead against it. most pubs these days in and around stadiums need the extra custom to balance the days when they are not so busy. i have noticed a trend in pubs all over edinburgh are not opening their doors until afternoons because there is so little custom. its a dog eat dog situations, you have the wetherspoons at the foot of the walk selling beer at 1970s/1980s prices. the smaller pubs just cannot compete with that. so again its a no from me. i remember going to Hibs friendlies at Bolton when you could buy beer at the game but the shutters came down just before kickoff, they sold tokens as well for half time where you presented the token and you received your beer that had been poured just before half time. :nlgwa :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 12:51 AM

Where does this come from? Every time this subject comes up you see comments like this. I've been to every Hibs semi final and final since 1979 with the exception of the defeat of Rangers in 1991 and the replay defeat by Dunfermline in 2007 … I cant be bothered to count back but that's a hell of a lot of trips to Hampden, not to mention other Hibs semi final venues and this picture of hoards of pished up folk all fighting with each other just doesn't represent my experience.

I'm not saying for a second that you don't see pished supporters or that I haven't ever seen the odd altercation between Hibs fans either … but its nothing like the picture some folk like to paint :bitchy:

As for drinking in the ground, I'm not bothered either way. I would like to see ER have a large and successful supporters bar, but could care less if they sell booze during the actual game. In fact, as a firm supporter of protecting local boozers I would hate to see the pubs around ER suffering a drop off in customers which I'm sure helps keep them going throughout the season due to losing trade if drink was available inside ER during the game.

The 90+2
26-10-2018, 01:09 AM
Where does this come from? Every time this subject comes up you see comments like this. I've been to every Hibs semi final and final since 1979 with the exception of the defeat of Rangers in 1991 and the replay defeat by Dunfermline in 2007 … I cant be bothered to count back but that's a hell of a lot of trips to Hampden, not to mention other Hibs semi final venues and this picture of hoards of pished up folk all fighting with each other just doesn't represent my experience.

I'm not saying for a second that you don't see pished supporters or that I haven't ever seen the odd altercation between Hibs fans either … but its nothing like the picture some folk like to paint :bitchy:

As for drinking in the ground, I'm not bothered either way. I would like to see ER have a large and successful supporters bar, but could care less if they sell booze during the actual game. In fact, as a firm supporter of protecting local boozers I would hate to see the pubs around ER suffering a drop off in customers which I'm sure helps keep them going throughout the season due to losing trade if drink was available inside ER during the game.

Well said. I can also confirm that freezing cold pissing down night against Dunfermline there wasn’t much coming from the stands at all let alone boozed up hibs fans.

Bristolhibby
26-10-2018, 07:01 AM
I’ll have a drink in the ground when I visit English grounds. Definately have a drink when watching the rugby.

I guess people are not for it, due to never having it. (30 years ago), and I’m sure the sale of alcohol in grounds was not slick at all in the 80s.

I always have a cider when I watch Bath play, don’t see why this couldn’t happen with football. It would definately slow down the mass onboarding of drink prior to kick off if you could have a beer during the game.

J

B.H.F.C
26-10-2018, 07:24 AM
I personally think it would be an unmitigated disaster if they allowed drink back into football for the masses. This country is unlike any other when it comes to alcohol consumption and football.

A disaster? Really?

If people want a drink they will have a drink whether inside or outside the stadium. If anything, serving in the stadium might lead to it being more controlled. People might also be encouraged to get to the ground a bit earlier rather than ending up with the late rush and queues you see every week.

Juniper Greens
26-10-2018, 07:25 AM
I think this is a great idea. More money for clubs too. Would make it more appealing for external caterers perhaps or even become viable for Hibs to move that in house?
I am amazed people are against it. If you don't want a beer, then don't have one.
Thinking ahead of myself here, perhaps it wouldn't be sold in the family area of the ground, meaning that those seats might open up for families, as the families who grew up there but are now older would have more incentive to move?
Could solve all the Hibs.net gripes with one boozed up support! ;-)

Stuart93
26-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Would love to be able to get a pint during the match. Went down to see Newcastle a couple seasons ago and was good being able to get a beer at half time. There’s plenty people who sneak drink into games these days anyway. Like some said there would most likely have to be some control, 1 or 2 pints at a time maybe.

Jones28
26-10-2018, 07:39 AM
I couldn't give a monkeys personally, but feel it should be there for those who want to partake.

If paying a fiver for a pint of ***** lager in a plastic cup is your thing then bash on.

It hasn't been part of the football experience in Scotland for decades and I don't really get the clamour to bring it back.

I went to Murrayfield at the six nations and the system they had in place was excellent, large queueing areas and loads of back-bar staff to keep things moving. I just can't see this being feasible anywhere in Easter road to make it worthwhile.

What I would personally advocate would be a fan zone at the back of the east with beer stalls, food and screens for live games. The same could be done outside the west if it weren't for the car park.

neil7908
26-10-2018, 07:46 AM
I think another poster mentioned it would be good for games vs Killie, Livi, Motherwell etc but I have major concerns about derbies, games vs the OF or at Hampden. Right now half the folk seem to be pissed at these already. Imagine how much worse it'll be if they can go straight away from drinking at the pub to drinking at the game?

Juniper Greens
26-10-2018, 07:51 AM
I think from all the articles I have read that it would be Police Cat B games affected.

SChibs
26-10-2018, 08:16 AM
For the most part it will be folk having a pint at half time but by the replies on here you would think that would turn the fairly well behaved supporters we have now into drunken rioting maniacs.

People will say if it's only 1 beer then why have it at all but if the club are the ones selling it then it could make a decent wedge of cash. Say 1000 people buy a £4 pint and they make £3 profit that's 1500 a week. Could be the difference between getting our targets in.

bod
26-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Time to bring it back,bit like the catering at ER ,if you don’t like it or don’t want it don’t purchase it

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2018, 08:40 AM
For the most part it will be folk having a pint at half time but by the replies on here you would think that would turn the fairly well behaved supporters we have now into drunken rioting maniacs.

People will say if it's only 1 beer then why have it at all but if the club are the ones selling it then it could make a decent wedge of cash. Say 1000 people buy a £4 pint and they make £3 profit that's 1500 a week. Could be the difference between getting our targets in.

I'd doubt there would be that much profit on a pint. 75% Gross profit margin is at the higher end of the scale.

And then there is staff costs. And VAT. And additional stewarding might be required as a condition of the licence.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IGRIGI
26-10-2018, 09:02 AM
I can't imagine the sing songs that this would unleash :greengrin

Brizo
26-10-2018, 09:03 AM
Done it at very occasional visits to the rugby and tbh not much fussed either way. My experience was watered down over priced beer in a plastic glass in the freezing cold so didn't really do much for me.

If its an earner for the club any new income streams are worth considering , however given CWGs financial knowledge and comments above, it might not be that much of an earner.

Re it leading to bother, most of the bevvied nuisance types are well boozed up / coked up before they get anywhere near a ground, so cant see it causing much if any additional bother. Limiting how much an individual can buy at any one visit to the bar and restricting consumption to underneath the stands would however have to be imposed imo.

I'm quite happy to wait the 90 mins for the pub or Hibs Club (which is undergoing a major refurb, new bar Whelehans opening soon).

elevengoats
26-10-2018, 09:07 AM
No, bad idea.

SChibs
26-10-2018, 09:23 AM
I'd doubt there would be that much profit on a pint. 75% Gross profit margin is at the higher end of the scale.

And then there is staff costs. And VAT. And additional stewarding might be required as a condition of the licence.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm not very clued up on profit margins to be honest. I just thought it was likely to be so overpriced they would make plenty profit on it

mim
26-10-2018, 09:24 AM
I've had a beer at games in Germany, but it was pretty weak and nothing like the similar, stronger versions you buy in the pubs.
Here I normally meet pals for a drink before and after games. Happy with that and I wouldn't be queuing up for expensive drink at the game, but I guess others would.

Brightside
26-10-2018, 09:24 AM
We struggle to sell bovril and coffee at the moment. Id hate to see the state of the place if we had these poor kids trying to sell beer.

stantonhibby
26-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Not fussed either way. My understanding is you wouldn't be allowed to drink at your seat so if bar is open during the game (I think it is in England) you're not going to see the game ? Only difference would be a pint at h/time but can imagine the queues.

The Modfather
26-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Not for me. Some folk might moderate their pre match drinking with being able to get a beer in the ground. However we still have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country. Where to some getting as drunk as possible as quickly as possible pre match is a much part of the day as the football is. Would they moderate their drinkinh any or just end up drinking more, potentially to the detriment of everyone else’s match experience.

It would also be some watered down grim tasting beer on sale, like in England, anyway so wouldn’t particularly appeal to me much in any case once the novelty wore off.

Peevemor
26-10-2018, 09:49 AM
I like my pints. When I went to matches week in week out I always had a few pints before (and nearly always after) a match.

I went to a couple of matches in England and, for the novelty value, I had a beer in the concourse before the match and to be honest I don't see the interest. Crap, expensive, luke-warm beer accompanied by the stink of pish coming from the bogs. I'd much rather a decent pint in a pub. Also, for me part of the enjoyment of going to away games was having a pint in a different pub and, at times, mixing with the locals (as opposed to under some soulless stand).

I'm definitely against being able to take drink to your seat. At ER how long would it be before an opposition player gets a half-full plastic bottle or glass lobbed at him?

No thanks.

Cabbage East
26-10-2018, 09:57 AM
As a grown adult, i'd like the choice to have a beer at the football.

Kojock
26-10-2018, 10:01 AM
I wouldn’t want alcohol to be consumed in the seared area of the stand itself, but would welcome beer being sold to be consumed in the concourse (not any different from drinking in BTG prior to KO). Could possibly help prevent queues at the turnstiles as people would be arriving earlier and not all at once at 2.55pm.

Eyrie
26-10-2018, 10:38 AM
I wouldn’t want alcohol to be consumed in the seared area of the stand itself, but would welcome beer being sold to be consumed in the concourse (not any different from drinking in BTG prior to KO). Could possibly help prevent queues at the turnstiles as people would be arriving earlier and not all at once at 2.55pm.

More likely there would be a rush to finish pints at 3pm followed by more people heading to their seats after the game has started. Then there will be more people heading for a pee during the first half, more people leaving early before half time to get their pint, more people arriving back late for the second half because they were finishing that pint, and more people heading for another pee during the second half. All of which means more disruption for those of us who go to Easter Road to watch football.

There are enough pubs near Easter Road that we don't need a bar in the ground for those who want a pre-match drink.

Kojock
26-10-2018, 10:41 AM
More likely there would be a rush to finish pints at 3pm followed by more people heading to their seats after the game has started. Then there will be more people heading for a pee during the first half, more people leaving early before half time to get their pint, more people arriving back late for the second half because they were finishing that pint, and more people heading for another pee during the second half. All of which means more disruption for those of us who go to Easter Road to watch football.

There are enough pubs near Easter Road that we don't need a bar in the ground for those who want a pre-match drink.

Close the bar 30 mins prior to ko, allows people to relieve themselves and take their seat. Making alcohol available within the concourse will not increase footfall to the toilet during the game.

hibbyfraelibby
26-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Not for this. Its bad enough having to suffer the immature adicted pissheads who cant do without a fix of rocket fuel coming into a game half jaked annoying folk without having them getting up and down every 5 minutes topping themselves up or wetting themselves.

hibbyfraelibby
26-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Close the bar 30 mins prior to ko, allows people to relieve themselves and take their seat. Making alcohol available within the concourse will not increase footfall to the toilet during the game.

It would with my bladder...😏

Eyrie
26-10-2018, 10:57 AM

More alcohol consumption = more footfall.

And why would people want to use the in-stadium bar when it's going to stop serving a lot earlier, will have very limited options and charge more for those? Better off in the pub.

Sammy7nil
26-10-2018, 11:05 AM
I think it could work at low risk games i.e. Dundee v Livingston, Motherwell v St Johnstone etc and see no reason why it cannot be done.

Higher risk games i.e. Rangers v Celtic, Hibs v Hearts would be a big no-no and I can't see that ever changing. There's already enough of a security risk at these games as it is, without making alcohol available within the stadium.

I am for that and for selling alcohol to home fans only as a trial. It tends to be away fans that feel the need to get as much swally as possible to "enjoy" the day out. Home fans dont feel the need to get bevved quite as much so let is have a pint :greengrin

The Spaceman
26-10-2018, 11:13 AM
100% yes from me. Time to pull Scottish football out of the dark ages and add to the match-day experience. Might encourage a bit more of an atmosphere as well. Genuinely think good catering and a pint at the football would be a huge plus for keeping fans flowing in.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Is selling a couple of lukewarm, overpriced beers in the ground going to increase anti social behaviour? People who want to be pished at a game can achieve that quite easily now. We also have the charade of BTG which is essentially drinking in the ground you just have to go back out and show your ticket again 5 minutes before kick off.

We aren't talking about a return to the days of a slab of Diamond White and a half of Grouse being a fun Saturday out. Trial it, don't permit it at 'powderkeg' fixtures and if folk blow it then tough. I struggle to see Hibs v Ross County suddenly becoming a war zone because a few people have a pint of Carling pishwater at HT.

Phil MaGlass
26-10-2018, 12:25 PM
I like a good swally before games, but, its a NO from me. Scotlands full of too many er5eholes. That cannae handle the beer.

heretoday
26-10-2018, 01:27 PM
I like a good swally before games, but, its a NO from me. Scotlands full of too many er5eholes. That cannae handle the beer.

You're right. Football and drink are linked enough without sticking bars in grounds.

Keith_M
26-10-2018, 01:46 PM
I can't see the attraction of drinking warm beer out of a plastic cup, but each to their own, I suppose.

LancashireHibby
26-10-2018, 01:50 PM
As a season ticket holder at Bolton, I very rarely have a beer at home games. At away games I will have a couple of beers in the ground more often than not, but that is generally at 2.45 and then throwing one down my neck at half time.

The discussion is at two separate stages really as obviously in Scotland it is whether booze should be available in the grounds at all, whereas down here it’s whether you should be allowed to take it to your seat. The former hasn’t made any particular difference to behaviour other than maybe getting people in the ground slightly earlier than the 2.55 rush you get at ER and it certainly makes zero difference at home games, but it can occasionally raise the ‘boisterous’ level at away games. As for the latter, it’s something I’d be quite strongly against as it’s inevitable there would be beer chucked all over the place at a goal as was the fashion in the World Cup at the fan zones. When Bolton got a penalty at Rotherham on Saturday a minute or two in to the second half, there was a big rush of people from the concourse to watch the penalty being taken and a couple of Heineken bottles were thrown on to the pitch while this is also I’ve seen on a few occasions at rugby league so would be something to wary of if Scotland were to move further down the line.

basehibby
26-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Hell yes!

Sure the beer will be overpriced and probably piss poor - but so is the tea and the Bovril so no change there.

I do not see that it would make much of a difference to the levels of drunkenness as you would only be talking a couple of beers unless you wanted to spend the entire match queueing at the bar. This would be entirely different to the days when folk brought a large carry out to the terraces and proceeded to chuck their empties about like confetti - we have to sit in proper chairs these days which has something of a civillising effect.

I don't think I would indulge all the time but would be nice to have the option to whet my whistle with a beer if I felt like it.

The_Horde
26-10-2018, 02:04 PM
This will be great on derby day. Quite often when you turn up a bit merry, by the time you've left you're a bit hungover. The cure is a half time pint!

therealgavmac
26-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Thought I’d stick my humble opinion in here, for what it’s worth.....

I make no secret I watch rugby more than Hibs now, well, living in the wilds of Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion will do that for you......

I regularly get to the Principality Stadium in Cardiff and it is a pain in the ******g arse...... I kid you not, every 2 minutes ALL DAY people either going for a slash or going to buy more beer...... it has got that bad in the Wales national stadium that they are now designating non alcohol areas within the stadium....

I read on here Hibs fans at each other when pissed home or away, I can’t imagine what it would be like if they could not only drink before, but during the game......

The novelty will wear off very quickly!

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Man U and Liverpool fans, Millwall and Leeds fans, West Ham and Chelsea fans can all have a pint at the game v each other, the nut jobs at Luton and Cardiff can have a pint at any game, but Hibs v Hearts is considered too high a risk?
Nah.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Thought I’d stick my humble opinion in here, for what it’s worth.....

I make no secret I watch rugby more than Hibs now, well, living in the wilds of Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion will do that for you......

I regularly get to the Principality Stadium in Cardiff and it is a pain in the ******g arse...... I kid you not, every 2 minutes ALL DAY people either going for a slash or going to buy more beer...... it has got that bad in the Wales national stadium that they are now designating non alcohol areas within the stadium....

I read on here Hibs fans at each other when pissed home or away, I can’t imagine what it would be like if they could not only drink before, but during the game......

The novelty will wear off very quickly!

Is drinking during the game on the agenda?

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Pest three seats along from me goes for his pizza and coke bang on 40mins every ****ing game and wriggles back in before half time. Does my tatties in. I often consider relieving him of his chips.
I’ve no doubt the other irritants in my row are sneaking out for vaping purposes during game time.
You’d need to see it to believe it. 25-45 mins is up and doon like a barmaids knickers.
Beer is the least of our worries.

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Pest three seats along from me goes for his pizza and coke bang on 40mins every ****ing game and wriggles back in before half time. Does my tatties in. I often consider relieving him of his chips.
I’ve no doubt the other irritants in my row are sneaking out for vaping purposes during game time.
You’d need to see it to believe it. 25-45 mins is up and doon like a barmaids knickers.
Beer is the least of our worries.
You have pests sitting beside you anaw? 🤔
This topic deserves its own thread:
Same person going to the bog at least three times
Going for pies 5 minutes before half time
Arriving late
Sitting too far forward in their seat so the whole row has to lean forward
Putting your arm behind the seat beside you thus hitting the person behinds legs
Shouting out stupid comments
People giving their opinion acting all Pepe Guardiola
Blaming the same player(Whittaker) every week
Turnstiles no working
Does ma nut in ! 😬

beensaidbefore
26-10-2018, 04:25 PM
As a grown adult, i'd like the choice to have a beer at the football.

Exactly. Some folk on here sound like a right barrel of laughs.

If folk are too drunk chuck them out. Simple. That way those that want a drink can have one. Those that don't, well don't.

beensaidbefore
26-10-2018, 04:27 PM
You have pests sitting beside you anaw? 🤔
This topic deserves its own thread:
Same person going to the bog at least three times
Going for pies 5 minutes before half time
Arriving late
Sitting too far forward in their seat so the whole row has to lean forward
Putting your arm behind the seat beside you thus hitting the person behinds legs
Shouting out stupid comments
People giving their opinion acting all Pepe Guardiola
Blaming the same player(Whittaker) every week
Turnstiles no working
Does ma nut in ! 😬

Sounds an enjoyable day out. 🤣🤣

SingaporeHibs
26-10-2018, 05:09 PM
People that want to get shamshed for going to the Football already get smashed for going to the Football. The extra couple of pints you would get the chance to consume in the ground will make little odds to the overall behaviour of those that are smashed before they enter the ground. If we consider long queues added to the likely restrictions of sales per person, taking into account the weak as piss lager that would be on sale I doubt very much it would make any negative difference to the match day for the wider crowd.
For those that would like a beer or 2 at the match to drink in a responsible manner (which I believe to be the vast majority of people) this could add to the overall match day experience.
It’s also incredibly insulting to the people of Scotland that anyone would think we would behave any worse than those in England or Wales after being allowed a beer.
Remember the days before the fences came down? The world will end if Football fans aren’t caged like animals!!!

Kojock
26-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Going through to Ibrox you have loads of Hibbies milling about the away car park drinking, surely it would be more sociable to enter the away end concourse of the stadium and enjoy a beer and a wee sing song with your fellow fans.

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Going through to Ibrox you have loads of Hibbies milling about the away car park drinking, surely it would be more sociable to enter the away end concourse of the stadium and enjoy a beer and a wee sing song with your fellow fans.
Hello! Hello! Slightly intimidating went to the bar at the back of the Copeland Road end with the HIBS scarf up the jooks full o Huns one turned to me and said big three points the day big man? I put on my best weedgie accent and responded “Definaaaately” a la Charlie Nicholas 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

Scouse Hibee
26-10-2018, 07:27 PM
The erseholes I have mainly encountered at the football have been sober so it makes no difference to me. Twats with a drink are normally also twats without one anyway.

LancashireHibby
26-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Man U and Liverpool fans, Millwall and Leeds fans, West Ham and Chelsea fans can all have a pint at the game v each other, the nut jobs at Luton and Cardiff can have a pint at any game, but Hibs v Hearts is considered too high a risk?
Nah.
Not necessarily the case as alcohol-free games aren’t unknown, even more so in the away end. Was at Preston v Bolton a month or two back and there wasn’t any booze available after kick off. Similarly I’ve been at away games against Stoke and Rotherham recently and both only re-opened the bar at half time.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Not necessarily the case as alcohol-free games aren’t unknown, even more so in the away end. Was at Preston v Bolton a month or two back and there wasn’t any booze available after kick off. Similarly I’ve been at away games against Stoke and Rotherham recently and both only re-opened the bar at half time.

Any of the above that I noted alcohol-free you think? And pre-kick off and maybe half time is how it should be so I’m not sure of your point.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 08:32 PM

To be fair being a Blackpool lad, you'd need to be totally pissed to watch either of those two teams. :wink:

Dashing Bob S
26-10-2018, 08:34 PM
If I’m working in England and go to a game I usually pass. The queues are huge and not worth waiting in for a pint of overpriced pishwater partaken in some generic crowded concrete bunker under a stand. Only for desperate jakeys going into foggy depressive withdrawal after the lunchtime session, but it won’t go anywhere near salving their cavernous need.

So pretty much an irrelevance.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 08:34 PM
To be fair being a Blackpool lad, you'd need to be totally pissed to watch either of those two teams. :wink:

Ah. This is more like it. A Lancashire pagger. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 08:37 PM
If I’m working in England and go to a game I usually pass. The queues are huge and not worth waiting in for a pint of overpriced pishwater partaken in some generic crowded concrete bunker under a stand. Only for desperate jakeys going into foggy depressive withdrawal after the lunchtime session, but it won’t go anywhere near salving their cavernous need.

So pretty much an irrelevance.

Sounds a bit like somewhere full of plastic and concrete **** like Old Trafford than somewhere proper like say, Brentford.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 08:38 PM
Ah. This is more like it. A Lancashire pagger. :greengrin

Lancashire is a hotbed of Hibs support.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Sounds a bit like somewhere full of plastic and concrete **** like Old Trafford than somewhere proper like say, Brentford.

Griffin Park Brentford, has (or i think had one is closed now) four pubs, one on each corner of the ground. An away fans paradise. A pub crawl around a football ground. Sadly Brentford are moving away from Griffin Park, a sad loss for English football

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Griffin Park Brentford, has (or i think had one is closed now) four pubs, one on each corner of the ground. An away fans paradise. A pub crawl around a football ground. Sadly Brentford are moving away from Griffin Park, a sad loss for English football

All of this is true. The bars behind the main stand have a half decent pint though and in a nice atmosphere.

PS. Irish bar top corner on the street behind the Main Stand (can’t recall its name) is some place and genuinely Irish owned and staffed.

One Day Soon
26-10-2018, 08:47 PM
What is all this pi5h about eh?

heretoday
26-10-2018, 09:11 PM
I honestly can't think of anything worse than going to the match and having drinks under the stand beforehand. They are bound to be horrible Carlsberg stuff or similar in an overpriced plastic tumbler.

Get real, guys! Have a pint in the pub and march down to the game in time-honoured fashion. Easter Road's for footer not drink.

LancashireHibby
26-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Any of the above that I noted alcohol-free you think? And pre-kick off and maybe half time is how it should be so I’m not sure of your point.
Millwall at home to Leeds or West Ham would certainly be booze free in all areas. Would expect Liverpool fans can’t get a pint at Man Utd and vice-versa. Not sure what the arrangements are for the ‘bubble’ games (generally Burnley-Blackburn, Leeds-Millwall, Cardiff-Leeds).

The fourth one reopened last year. One of them - The Griffin - was used as the pub in ‘Green Street’. We ended up in a lock-in until 2am a couple of years ago watching Bolton there on a Tuesday night.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Millwall at home to Leeds or West Ham would certainly be booze free in all areas. Would expect Liverpool fans can’t get a pint at Man Utd and vice-versa. Not sure what the arrangements are for the ‘bubble’ games (generally Burnley-Blackburn, Leeds-Millwall, Cardiff-Leeds).

The fourth one reopened last year. One of them - The Griffin - was used as the pub in ‘Green Street’. We ended up in a lock-in until 2am a couple of years ago watching Bolton there on a Tuesday night.

Is the debate only around away fans though? Shouldn’t be. I don’t even buy a pie at Tynie. Man U won’t shut home bars no matter who the ****ers are playing, their Asian sponsors / suppliers wouldn't allow it.
Are you certain about the Millwall stuff?
Hate to drag the debate around but I can’t see Hibs / Hearts crowds being considered high risk when we are talking about the sort of lunatics that help generate ‘movies’ like the farcical Green Street.

CathroMustStay
26-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Anyone who says no to such a proposal is a tory who buys into the 'football fans are working class ****' narrative.

Fact.

SChibs
26-10-2018, 09:44 PM
I honestly can't think of anything worse than going to the match and having drinks under the stand beforehand. They are bound to be horrible Carlsberg stuff or similar in an overpriced plastic tumbler.

Get real, guys! Have a pint in the pub and march down to the game in time-honoured fashion. Easter Road's for footer not drink.

Better close behind the goals and hospitality then?

I don't understand this type of comment to be honest. I get that some people wouldn't want to drink at a game and that's fair enough but why stop other people? If you cant think of anything worse then you simply dont have to do it you just skip the drink queue and carry on as normal. To be honest I am not fussy about my beer/lager and don't mind drinking what some would describe as 'pisswater' out a plastic cup either.

It could actually make for a decent atmosphere in the concourse before the game and at half time.

LancashireHibby
26-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Is the debate only around away fans though? Shouldn’t be. I don’t even buy a pie at Tynie. Man U won’t shut home bars no matter who the ****ers are playing, their Asian sponsors / suppliers wouldn't allow it.
Are you certain about the Millwall stuff?
Hate to drag the debate around but I can’t see Hibs / Hearts crowds being considered high risk when we are talking about the sort of lunatics that help generate ‘movies’ like the farcical Green Street.
It tends to revolve around away fans purely because they’re naturally more boisterous/tribal than a home support, behind enemy lines and all that. And obviously far more likely to have been drinking already.

Eyrie
26-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Anyone who says no to such a proposal is a tory who buys into the 'football fans are working class ****' narrative.

Fact.

Anyone who says yes to such a proposal is an alcoholic who enjoys disrupting fans who want to watch the football.

END OF.

Chorley Hibee
26-10-2018, 11:25 PM
Lancashire is a hotbed of Hibs support.

Thriving support in the red rose county.

lord bunberry
26-10-2018, 11:56 PM
This thread confirms everything that has gone wrong with football in this country. People complaining about having to stand up cause someone needs a pish or people complaining because others might have had too much to drink.
Get a ****ing grip of yourselves, it’s the football, people will be drunk, people will need to go to the toilet.
Having a pint at the game will make absolutely no difference to anyone’s enjoyment of the game. People who would normally leave the pub at 2:45 will leave at 2:15 and have the last pint in the stadium. Some will have a quick one at half time. It happens everywhere else in the civilised world, but for some reason people think it wouldn’t work here because they would have to go through the horrible hardship of having to stand up to let someone past.
What the **** have we become?

Pete
27-10-2018, 12:40 AM
This thread confirms everything that has gone wrong with football in this country. People complaining about having to stand up cause someone needs a pish or people complaining because others might have had too much to drink.
Get a ****ing grip of yourselves, it’s the football, people will be drunk, people will need to go to the toilet.
Having a pint at the game will make absolutely no difference to anyone’s enjoyment of the game. People who would normally leave the pub at 2:45 will leave at 2:15 and have the last pint in the stadium. Some will have a quick one at half time. It happens everywhere else in the civilised world, but for some reason people think it wouldn’t work here because they would have to go through the horrible hardship of having to stand up to let someone past.
What the **** have we become?

Agree.

Look at the way the smoking ban in pubs was debated before it was brought in. The anarchy and chaos didn't materialise.

The same will happen in this instance.

lord bunberry
27-10-2018, 01:07 AM
Agree.

Look at the way the smoking ban in pubs was debated before it was brought in. The anarchy and chaos didn't materialise.

The same will happen in this instance.
Yes, most of us won’t even notice the difference.

BILLYHIBS
27-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Another analogy would be hands up all those that have paid say £65 x2 for a concert, gig or comedian that you have been looking forward to say for almost a year and you end up sitting beside a bunch of drunks high on whatever that giggle laugh spill drinks talk all the way through the proceedings disturb everyone around about them through continually going to the toilet or replenishing their drinks and give the impression that they do not really want to be there. Sometimes having a season ticket almost £400 x2 for family members can feel a bit like that on repeat and will only be exacerbated if we allow alcohol into our ground. I do not think asking people to arrive on time sit for 45 minutes go for a pee buy a pie and bovril at half time and sit for another 45 minutes and act in a civilised manner is too much to ask.

Yours truly

Victor Meldrew :greengrin

SChibs
27-10-2018, 07:17 AM
Let's be honest how long does it take to let somebody past? Maybe 3 seconds each way? So if 2 more people need to get past than usual that's on average 12 seconds people are going to be inconvenienced. Are people really using this as an argument? Chances are the folk drinking the pint at HT or before the game would go for a pish during the game anyway or would hold it till HT

Phil MaGlass
27-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Just a wee add, the beer sold at Dutch games is a weaker version of what is sold outside, I think its about 2.5% and it really is not worth paying for, if Scotland are to reintroduce alcohol in stadiums then it will be the weaker version I would think.
Again, its not very good. I normally have a few beers in the clubhouse directly outside the stadium, then I take my whisky flask in with me.

Pretty Boy
27-10-2018, 07:23 AM
I think the last few days have proven we are barely even ready for a sensible debate on this never mind actually having alcohol on sale.

I was driving the other night and had the radio on. When this issue was discussed Richard Gordon went on a long, irrelevant rant about how he got showered with glass from a whisky bottle thrown by a Celtic fan in 1923 or something. Several times other tried to point out to him that no one was suggesting going back to the days of a half bottle in the top pocket but he just kept ranting about 'chaos' and 'carnage'. Then we had a guy from the Scottish Police Federation shrieking about pytotechnics and toilets being trashed before concluding with it's a 'football problem' and we 'can't add alcohol into the mix'. Firstly go to a festival or outdoor gig and then tell me pyro is a 'football problem' or work in hospitality during a six nations weekend and tell me damaging property is a 'football problem'. Secondly alcohol is already 'in the mix'. Alcohol is on sale in the immediate area around almost every ground in Scotland or in some cases, as at Easter Road, in the ground itself. BTG is drinking in the stand; I could finish a pint at 2.50, walk out 1 door and 10 yards along the street and go through another door and be in my seat before kick off. This is acceptable but having a beer at 2.50 in the concourse isn't apparently and would lead to anarchy.

There's a lot of the worst kind of generalisations going on. Every week in Scotland tens of thousands of people attend football games and are able to refrain from battering people, trashing toilets, intimidating the public and behaving in an unaccepatble manner. It appears rather than deal with the minority who do behave like this the Police and others want to play the 'they're all the same' card and continue with an ineffective, not fit for purpose ban that has little to no effect on anyones alcohol intake on match day.

Personally I'm not bothered about a drink in the concourse. The 1st couple of times I went to St James Park I had a beer for the novelty but £5+ for a lukewarm Coors or Carling isn't that appealing. On the flip side some of the atmospheres under the stands at away games down south have definitelt been enhanced by the ability to enjoy it with a beer. Whether I want a beer or not is irrelevant though I should have the same choice as a rugby fan or a football fan in England.

we are hibs
27-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Some on here must be a riot at parties eh :rolleyes:

"Don't drink before games as it ruins it for others"
"Don't drink at games cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't go to the toilet cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't stand on the stairs with about 2 minutes to go as it ruins it for others"
"Don't stand at games cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't have the audacity to expect edible food at a game when your being charged a fortune for it"

Just sit on your seat, on your hands sober while watching us struggle to break down a pish poor bottom 6 side at home in the middle of December.

Eyrie
27-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Let's be honest how long does it take to let somebody past? Maybe 3 seconds each way? So if 2 more people need to get past than usual that's on average 12 seconds people are going to be inconvenienced. Are people really using this as an argument? Chances are the folk drinking the pint at HT or before the game would go for a pish during the game anyway or would hold it till HT

Must be nice to be able to stand up and sit down that quickly. Those of us who aren't able to spring up and down like you are going to take longer, which means that everyone around us will also have their view of the game disrupted for longer.

SChibs
27-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Must be nice to be able to stand up and sit down that quickly. Those of us who aren't able to spring up and down like you are going to take longer, which means that everyone around us will also have their view of the game disrupted for longer.

I get that, but there must be a balance struck somewhere? How about dedicated areas of the stadium where alcohol could be sold?

One Day Soon
27-10-2018, 10:35 AM
I think the last few days have proven we are barely even ready for a sensible debate on this never mind actually having alcohol on sale.

I was driving the other night and had the radio on. When this issue was discussed Richard Gordon went on a long, irrelevant rant about how he got showered with glass from a whisky bottle thrown by a Celtic fan in 1923 or something. Several times other tried to point out to him that no one was suggesting going back to the days of a half bottle in the top pocket but he just kept ranting about 'chaos' and 'carnage'. Then we had a guy from the Scottish Police Federation shrieking about pytotechnics and toilets being trashed before concluding with it's a 'football problem' and we 'can't add alcohol into the mix'. Firstly go to a festival or outdoor gig and then tell mr pyro is a 'football problem' or work in hospitality during a six nations weekend and tell me damaging property is a 'football problem'. Secondly alcohol is already 'in the mix'. Alcohol is on sale in the immediate area around almost every ground in Scotland or in some cases, as at Easter Road, in the ground itself. BTG is drinking in the stand; I could finish a pint at 2.50, walk out 1 door and 10 yards along the street and go through another door and be in my seat before kick off. This is acceptable but having a beer at 2.50 in the concourse isn't apparently and would lead to anarchy.

There's a lot of the worst kind of generalisations going on. Every week in Scotland tens of thousands of people attend football games and are able to refrain from battering people, trashing toilets, intimidating the public and behaving in an unaccepatble manner. It appears rather than deal with the minority who do behave like this the Police and others want to play the 'they're all the same' card and continue with an ineffective, not fit for purpose ban that has little to no effect on anyones alcohol intake on match day.

Personally I'm not bothered about a drink in the concourse. The 1st couple of times I went to St James Park I had a beer for the novelty but £5+ for a lukewarm Coors or Carling isn't that appealing. On the flip side some of the atmospheres under the stands at away games down south have definitelt been enhanced by the ability to enjoy it with a beer. Whether I want a beer or not is irrelevant though I should have the same choice as a rugby fan or a football fan in England.

This is exactly my own position on the matter.

eezyrider
27-10-2018, 10:41 AM
There's a lot of scaremongering in this thread. If you have ever been to a match in England and enjoyed a pint in the stadium you'll know that there is not an issue.

If it was allowed in Scottish grounds you wouldn't notice any difference. The amount people drink is usually dictated by how much they have in their pocket, not where it is sold.
So, all that will happen is that they'll have a drink or two at the ground instead of at a pub.

EZ

eastcoasthibby
27-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Another opportunity for the food vendors to take on another rip off contract to sell s#it beer at £9 a pint (price in tandem with the massively inflate pies, chips n pizza prices)...plus the inevitable bother that would go with and also the additional picing and stewarding needed for deong the problems from the drinks ...so nice thought but no thanks ....too many negatives !!

BoomtownHibees
27-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Anybody who calls it “footer” should be banned from ever attending ER again

where'stheslope
27-10-2018, 01:40 PM
If I'm not mistaken, most European Clubs serve non-alcholic beer at the games?
They to have segregation, and to let supporters get tanked up before and then during the game is a recipe for future disasters!!!!

lord bunberry
27-10-2018, 02:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, most European Clubs serve non-alcholic beer at the games?
They to have segregation, and to let supporters get tanked up before and then during the game is a recipe for future disasters!!!!

Utter nonsense. You can already drink in the stadium before the game. The only thing that will change is you will be able to have a pint at half time. The bars close during the game.
The amount of scaremongering that’s going on around this issue is unbelievable. Far too many people are either deliberately misrepresenting the facts or failing to understand what is being proposed.
Selling beer for and extra 20 mins at half time won’t, hasn’t and never will lead to disasters.

Since90+2
27-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Utter nonsense. You can already drink in the stadium before the game. The only thing that will change is you will be able to have a pint at half time. The bars close during the game.
The amount of scaremongering that’s going on around this issue is unbelievable. Far too many people are either deliberately misrepresenting the facts or failing to understand what is being proposed.
Selling beer for and extra 20 mins at half time won’t, hasn’t and never will lead to disasters.

Agreed.

People in this country tend to exaggerate and look at the downside of things. Case in point when it was announced that an Old Firm game would be played on Hogmanay a few years back you had predictions of riots and carnage all day and night. As far as I know it passed over pretty much without incident.

In England alcohol is sold in every single ground and I would argue that down south you have clubs with supports that are more inclined to cause trouble (Millwall,Leeds and West Ham as an example) than every club in Scotland with the possible exception of Rangers.

Like most I would not bother having a beer 9 times out of 10 but to suggest Scottish football fans cannot be allowed a low alcohol beer in the ground is ridiculous.

Bangkok Hibby
27-10-2018, 03:29 PM
100% yes from me, you can eveywhere else in Europe so why not here.

Because of every reason stated above :agree:

Billy Whizz
28-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Just as well there wasn’t any drink sold today inside Murrayfield, seemed to be enough trouble inside and outside

dp00
29-10-2018, 05:22 AM
It’s a no front me ... can already imagine the state and behaviour of some folk on Wednesday without giving them the chance to drink at the game too .

If someone can’t go a few hours without a pint then I think they need to look at themselves in the mirror

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2018, 07:59 AM
The aggravation inside and outside the home of Scottish Rugby before during and after the Hearts v Celtic Scottish League Cup Semi Final for an early afternoon Sunday kick off tells me that we won’t be getting Alcohol in our football grounds anytime soon.

The head of the SRU said that they have had 660000 punters through their turnstiles to a Stadium where they sell alcohol and have only had one arrest.

Hearts and Celtic had less than a tenth of that for one game and could not hold it together for ninety minutes.

Once again football has shot itself in the foot.

lord bunberry
29-10-2018, 08:05 AM
The aggravation inside and outside the home of Scottish Rugby before during and after the Hearts v Celtic Scottish League Cup Semi Final for an early afternoon Sunday kick off tells me that we won’t be getting Alcohol in our football grounds anytime soon.

The head of the SRU said that they have had 660000 punters through their turnstiles to a Stadium where they sell alcohol and have only had one arrest.

Hearts and Celtic had less than a tenth of that for one game and could not hold it together for ninety minutes.

Once again football has shot itself in the foot.
We already have alcohol in our football grounds. Maybe selling it in every stand would stop people getting tanked up before the game. How do they manage in every stadium in England?

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2018, 08:18 AM
We already have alcohol in our football grounds. Maybe selling it in every stand would stop people getting tanked up before the game. How do they manage in every stadium in England?

Imagine the carnage if alcohol had been on sale inside the ground and in every stand on Sunday?

I am sure the SRU feel they are glad their Bars remained closed given the circumstances.

I wonder if they will be so keen to lease their Stadium out to the Scottish League or SFA going forward?

Sylar
29-10-2018, 09:02 AM
I'm a little torn.

On the one hand, football fans are **** that can't be trusted (not all, obviously). The aggression, "billy-big baws" empowerment that many seem to get from attending a game and being a part of that "tribal mentality" is a cancer in our game IMO. It doesn't really matter the team, every support has them. And so long as this mentality continues to exist in Scotland, things will never change.

Having said that, it's a very classist argument - you CAN drink at the football if you're so inclined, but it depends on you being able to afford to do so (by attending via hospitality).

I agree, nobody should NEED to be able to drink when they're attending a game. But part of the matchday experience at the rugby, NFL or baseball games that I frequently attend is being able to sit with friends and enjoy a bottle/pint of beer while watching the game, knowing that everyone around you is enjoying the sport, cheering on their team and not focused on calling opposition players/supporters/coaches etc all the p******s, f*****s, n*****s or orange *******s under the sun (all four of those insults I've heard in the past 3 Scottish football games I've been to), and in the case of the behaviours on display yesterday, pondering the best way to put your fellow/opposition fans in A&E for a night.

SirDavidsNapper
29-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Hearts fans making an arse of themselves yesterday would have been even worse with more booze thrown in. No for me.

lord bunberry
29-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Imagine the carnage if alcohol had been on sale inside the ground and in every stand on Sunday?

I am sure the SRU feel they are glad their Bars remained closed given the circumstances.

I wonder if they will be so keen to lease their Stadium out to the Scottish League or SFA going forward?
It wouldn’t have made any difference. The alcohol wouldn’t have been on sale during the game, only before and at half time. The fans would already have been drinking before the game, so the only difference would’ve been that they would probably have queued for ages to get a watered down pint at half time. Hardly a recipe for carnage.
Again I ask, how does it work in English stadiums without the carnage that everyone keeps predicting will happen here?

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Not really into paying £5 for a pint of watered down pish in the stadium to be honest I enjoy a pint as much as the next man but perhaps it is Scotland’s uneasy relationship with alcohol throw into the mix the OF and sectarianism I also give you the 1980 Scottish Cup Final plus their excursions south to the towns of Newcastle Manchester Leeds and Barcelona the events of yesterday are not going to help your case.
Edit: typed while sitting in the Cask and Barrel 14:23 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

lord bunberry
29-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Not really into paying £5 for a pint of watered down pish in the stadium to be honest I enjoy a pint as much as the next man but perhaps it is Scotland’s uneasy relationship with alcohol throw into the mix the OF and sectarianism I also give you the 1980 Scottish Cup Final plus their excursions south to the towns of Newcastle Manchester Leeds and Barcelona the events of yesterday are not going to help your case.
Edit: typed while sitting in the Cask and Barrel 14:23 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆
I’m not sure I’d bother either, but we should have the choice. If the authorities think that certain games should be dry then that’s their choice. There’s no reason that anyone shouldn’t be able to have a beer at our game v St Johnston on Saturday.

happiehibbie
29-10-2018, 03:03 PM
I think after Sunday behaviour at Murrayfield this has been put back on the burner for another 20 years

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2018, 03:03 PM
I’m not sure I’d bother either, but we should have the choice. If the authorities think that certain games should be dry then that’s their choice. There’s no reason that anyone shouldn’t be able to have a beer at our game v St Johnston on Saturday.

I don’t think we would have had a problem at any home games so far this season.

I have also been in the fortunate position through Corporate Sponsorship where I have entertained loads of clients over the last thirty years and nothing beats a three course meal a few prematch drinks with your clients a host,a comedian and celebrity ex players followed by a good result though not always the case and a few post match drinks in pleasant surroundings.

The issue however is not down to us it is down to HIBS the Police and the Licensing Commission

A case in point a Canadian Family sat in the row front of us at a game during the summer the father shouted out to the family who wants Pizza? Who wants Hot Dogs ? Who wants fries? Who wants beer? To which our whole row started laughing. The father was puzzled and shocked to find out he wasn’t going to get his beer that day.

I was amazed they got into the game without being on our data base but that is another topic :greengrin

No doubt in the not too distant future beer will be the norm at Easter Road but still a lot of no’s on this thread and a lot of hurdles to overcome which brings us back to your point why England and not here ?
Licensing Laws for one, different culture policing issues certainly it would be a source of extra revenue for the club and certainly a lot of attitudes would have to change before it is finally implemented

SingaporeHibs
29-10-2018, 03:31 PM
I think after Sunday behaviour at Murrayfield this has been put back on the burner for another 20 years

I’ve seen the footage like most others but what has that got to do with beers being sold inside the ground?
The bus being attacked before the game? Did not serving beer in the stadium help that? Of course not. These were just morons looking for trouble. Beer in the stadium makes no odds.
Some yams and from what I saw on film very few Yams fighting amongst themselves. Was that caused by beers being sold inside the stadium? No.
Where is the link to beer being sold inside the stadium?
Would beer being sold inside the stadium make it less likely for some to get totally trashed before the game? Unlikely.
Would beer being sold inside the stadium allow (those that wanted) the vast majority of right minded people the chance to enjoy a beer pre and maybe at HT with little to no fuss caused by it? Of course.
I mentioned it on another post, I remember when people couldn’t get their head around fences at Football grounds coming down. All hell was going to break loose because all people wanted to do was get at each other. Never happened did it. Treat people like animals and they might just respond that way.
To compare football games now to the OF riot of 1980 or whenever it was is as ridiculous as comparing our over exuberance in 2016 to the same event. Absolute BS. The media, authorities, completely out of line and 100% wrong.
Tory’s from the 80’s attitude. Get a grip and move on because the world has.

green leaves
29-10-2018, 09:40 PM
oh the Hibs are still here so lets have a beer Wallace Mercer is dead and we're no

Sylar
30-10-2018, 03:36 PM
oh the Hibs are still here so lets have a beer Wallace Mercer is dead and we're no

Hopefully, like your name, you'll be leaving shortly :aok:

IWasThere2016
30-10-2018, 05:53 PM
As a season ticket holder at Bolton, I very rarely have a beer at home games. At away games I will have a couple of beers in the ground more often than not, but that is generally at 2.45 and then throwing one down my neck at half time.

The discussion is at two separate stages really as obviously in Scotland it is whether booze should be available in the grounds at all, whereas down here it’s whether you should be allowed to take it to your seat. The former hasn’t made any particular difference to behaviour other than maybe getting people in the ground slightly earlier than the 2.55 rush you get at ER and it certainly makes zero difference at home games, but it can occasionally raise the ‘boisterous’ level at away games. As for the latter, it’s something I’d be quite strongly against as it’s inevitable there would be beer chucked all over the place at a goal as was the fashion in the World Cup at the fan zones. When Bolton got a penalty at Rotherham on Saturday a minute or two in to the second half, there was a big rush of people from the concourse to watch the penalty being taken and a couple of Heineken bottles were thrown on to the pitch while this is also I’ve seen on a few occasions at rugby league so would be something to wary of if Scotland were to move further down the line.

A Carr's pastie with the pint?

IWasThere2016
30-10-2018, 05:57 PM
I'm in favour.. in concourses - and not to the seat. And some need to learn to behave.. in order not to spoil it for others.

LancashireHibby
30-10-2018, 09:32 PM
A Carr's pastie with the pint?
Of course! I’m still holding out hope to win a free one at half time! I used to work at BWFC and Carr’s provided everyone with a sandwich and pasty for their dinner. It was probably the best thing about working there!

Johnny Clash
31-10-2018, 07:39 AM
The best thing about the pints at Brondby was throwing them into the sky when Hibs ran onto the pitch!

hibbycraig
31-10-2018, 12:09 PM
There will be fans from both teams on the bevvy the now. If fans want to get steaming they will do, being able to have a drink at half time won't stop that. Same goes for early kick offs, start drinking at 8 in the morning.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2018, 10:12 PM
we should trial it at Tinycastle :agree:

on second thoughts, hows about NAW

neil7908
31-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Some on here must be a riot at parties eh :rolleyes:

"Don't drink before games as it ruins it for others"
"Don't drink at games cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't go to the toilet cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't stand on the stairs with about 2 minutes to go as it ruins it for others"
"Don't stand at games cause it ruins it for others"
"Don't have the audacity to expect edible food at a game when your being charged a fortune for it"

Just sit on your seat, on your hands sober while watching us struggle to break down a pish poor bottom 6 side at home in the middle of December.

Yeah, a few half time bevvies would have been just the ticket tonight.

Oh and why is it OK to stand in the stairs - your blocking other folks view. If you want leave early that's fine but just do it, don't stop others from watching the game.

Diclonius
31-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Yeah, **** that.

BILLYHIBS
01-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Hands up all those that still want alcohol introduced into our Stadia?

Oh ma aching sides!

:faf:

hfc rd
01-11-2018, 03:18 PM
After last night, hopefully this subject is now put to bed for good!

beensaidbefore
01-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Do we know if any of the folk last night had been drinking?

Let's not jump the gun.

BILLYHIBS
01-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Do we know if any of the folk last night had been drinking?

Let's not jump the gun.
Our own spy in the camp Johnny Boy aludes to this point in his thread : this is how it feels and sadly he is describing our supporters 😳

Keith_M
01-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Imagine giving the fans last night even more booze.

That's a rare idea!

beensaidbefore
01-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Our own spy in the camp Johnny Boy aludes to this point in his thread : this is how it feels and sadly he is describing our supporters 😳

Tossers.

Ozyhibby
01-11-2018, 05:55 PM
I would allow it in the upper tier of the main stand at the posh seats and that’s it. The have no access to the pitch. It will help sell hospitality without causing problems elsewhere in the ground. No stand with pitch access should be allowed beer sales, so none at Tynecastle at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juniper Greens
01-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Imagine giving the fans last night even more booze.

That's a rare idea!

They have said it won’t be the cat a games.

Easy