PDA

View Full Version : NHC Ipswich Town

bingo70
25-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Next time you start to get annoyed at the hibs spare a thought for the poor Ipswich fans.

As if it’s not bad enough they’re lingering about the bottom of the league they’re set to appoint former Norwich manager Paul Lambert as their new manager.

Dreadful manager that’s not done anything for years and strong ties to their biggest rivals. What the hell are their board thinking?

I’m amazed all of these English championship clubs are ignoring the work Neil Lennon has done with us but long may it continue.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Next time you start to get annoyed at the hibs spare a thought for the poor Ipswich fans.

As if it’s not bad enough they’re lingering about the bottom of the league they’re set to appoint former Norwich manager Paul Lambert as their new manager.

Dreadful manager that’s not done anything for years and strong ties to their biggest rivals. What the hell are their board thinking?

I’m amazed all of these English championship clubs are ignoring the work Neil Lennon has done with us but long may it continue.

He took their biggest rivals from the same position Ipswich find themselves in now and to the EPL.

As for Lennon, I was amazed he could only get Bolton after what he done at Celtic. I think he’s a stick on when Rodgers leaves also.

bingo70
25-10-2018, 07:56 PM
He took their biggest rivals from the same position Ipswich find themselves in now and to the EPL.

As for Lennon, I was amazed he could only get Bolton after what he done at Celtic. I think he’s a stick on when Rodgers leaves also.

How many years ago did he do that with Norwich though? Has he not been pretty **** at every job since?

Agree with your second point.

Lancs Harp
25-10-2018, 08:00 PM
How many years ago did he do that with Norwich though? Has he not been pretty **** at every job since?

Agree with your second point.

Personally I think Neils next gig will be in England. I'd be surprised if he went back to Celtic. I think Celtic will be looking for something a bit different and will appoint a non British manager. With Lennon they have been there and done it and moved on

bingo70
25-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Personally I think Neils next gig will be in England. I'd be surprised if he went back to Celtic. I think Celtic will be looking for something a bit different and will appoint a non British manager. With Lennon they have been there and done it.

In danger of going off on a bit of a tangent here as I really never meant this to be a thread about Lennons next job, I disagree though, they’re desperate to get this 10 in a row so they need to go with a safe pair of hands that knows what they’re all about, they can’t afford another Ronny Delia situation.

Lancs Harp
25-10-2018, 08:05 PM
In danger of going off on a bit of a tangent here as I really never meant this to be a thread about Lennons next job, I disagree though, they’re desperate to get this 10 in a row so they need to go with a safe pair of hands that knows what they’re all about, they can’t afford another Ronny Delia situation.

Well we'll see, but for me re-appointing Lennon is a serious lack of ambition from a Celtic POV, where they need to make some kind of impression in Europe, All IMO of course. Just cant see the re-appointment of Lennon being a step forward for them.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Is this the same Ipswich who chased big Mick out, for being mid table?

Hope we never get fan ownership at Hibs

HibbyAndy
25-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Colchester and Lambert beat Norwich 7-1 !! First game of the season in division 1 at Carrow road ..Norwich appointed Lambert the very next week and he took them to back to back promotions.

I actually think PL could do a half decent job at Ipswich

B.H.F.C
25-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Getting big Mick out wasn’t the issue. He was there for years and they didn’t look like doing anything. Who they appointed after was the issue.

It was like us with Fenlon. Some might argue differently but, IMO, getting rid of him wasn’t the wrong decision. Appointing Butcher was.

Lancs Harp
25-10-2018, 08:36 PM
The problems at Ipswich are mainly down to a club operating at a loss and an owner unwilling to invest anything significant. They are in serious danger of going down this season, they will be one of about 6 or 7 clubs who will involved in the relegation battle all season.

bingo70
25-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Colchester and Lambert beat Norwich 7-1 !! First game of the season in division 1 at Carrow road ..Norwich appointed Lambert the very next week and he took them to back to back promotions.

I actually think PL could do a half decent job at Ipswich

That was almost 10 years ago.

Since then he’s failed at Aston Villa, Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke. He must have a hell of a good agent.

Newry Hibs
25-10-2018, 08:40 PM
There was an Ipswich fan on the radio a few weeks back saying that he didn't mind being bottom. Just glad they got rid of McCarthy and were at least trying to play some football. Wonder what he thinks now that they are still struggling.

HibbyAndy
25-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Since then he’s failed at Aston Villa, Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke. He must have a hell of a good agent.

Crikey i never realized it was that long ago !

I agree though , He has failed everywhere else he has gone ..I just feel Ipswich is a good choice for him..He won't get them into a play off place but he will keep them up , Good knowledge of the Championship has got to be a plus

bingo70
25-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Crikey i never realized it was that long ago !

I agree though , He has failed everywhere else he has gone ..I just feel Ipswich is a good choice for him..He won't get them into a play off place but he will keep them up , Good knowledge of the Championship has got to be a plus

Personally think he’s on a hiding to nothing, most managers get a honeymoon period from the fans but he’ll be under huge pressure from the first minute and every misplaced pass, never mind a defeat will have the fans going mental.

Players can’t thrive in environments like that, He’s Got no chance and it’s a crazy appointment by their board IMO.

Hopefully he’ll still be employed by them when Scotland inevitably sack Mcleish though.

HibbyAndy
25-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Personally think he’s on a hiding to nothing, most managers get a honeymoon period from the fans but he’ll be under huge pressure from the first minute and every misplaced pass, never mind a defeat will have the fans going mental.

Players can’t thrive in environments like that, He’s Got no chance and it’s a crazy appointment by their board IMO.

Hopefully he’ll still be employed by them when Scotland inevitably sack Mcleish though.

Yeah ex Norwich manager he won't be the most popular choice

Lago
25-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Wasn't he being spoken about as a candidate for the Scotland job before McLiesh got it ?

bingo70
25-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Wasn't he being spoken about as a candidate for the Scotland job before McLiesh got it ?

Yes but only because he was Scottish and unemployed, thankfully Stoke got their first.

hibs#1
25-10-2018, 09:27 PM

Might be nearly 10 years ago but I still remember having Norwich on my coupon that day 😡

Lago
25-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Yes but only because he was Scottish and unemployed, thankfully Stoke got their first.
So instead Scotland got someone who was Scottish and unemployed :greengrin

bingo70
25-10-2018, 09:33 PM
So instead Scotland got someone who was Scottish and unemployed :greengrin

Correct, and I think I know the credentials for the next Scotland manager too 😜

tamig
25-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Whats fan ownership got to do with it?

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:39 PM

He would be a better appointment than GJP. I get the point about him doing well at Norwich 10 years ago but he’s been firefighting a lot.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Whats fan ownership got to do with it?

Ipswich fans chased McCarthy out. I think the point is fans aren’t best to judge.

bingo70
25-10-2018, 09:41 PM
He would be a better appointment than GJP. I get the point about him doing well at Norwich 10 years ago but he’s been firefighting a lot.

Thank god he’s no a fireman then.

I think that would be a credible defence of him if he’d had at least one success in those jobs but as firefighting goes he’s no been great.

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 09:45 PM
😂 true.

tamig
25-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Ipswich fans chased McCarthy out. I think the point is fans aren’t best to judge.

I don’t think fan ownership works in that way tbf. Just thought it was an irrelevant comment in the context of Ipswich.

jgl07
25-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Ipswich fans finally got Mick McCarthy the sack.

Look where it has got them!

The 90+2
25-10-2018, 11:22 PM
I don’t think fan ownership works in that way tbf. Just thought it was an irrelevant comment in the context of Ipswich.

I do agree, I was just pointing out where the poster was coming in my view.

Vault Boy
25-10-2018, 11:30 PM
It's safe to say the locals here have some pretty strong views about this news

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2018, 12:24 AM
Ipswich fans finally got Mick McCarthy the sack.

Look where it has got them!

Yeh, but lets face it 90% of the time losing the fans is what gets a manager the sack, owners and chairmen rarely stick it out with a manager when fans start protesting and worse stop going. Somebody mentioned fan ownership, but that's the way of things fan owned or not.

Here’s Lucy!
26-10-2018, 04:37 PM
When you think of the great Ipswich sides in the 70's too.

European nights and squads full of internationals.

John Wark, Mariner, Mills, Beattie etc.

They even had Alan Brazil :greengrin

tamig
26-10-2018, 07:53 PM

They never had the great Benny though 😀

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:01 PM

Thijssen and Muhren. Brian Talbot. And the wee goalie whose name escapes me.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Cooper?

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Cooper?

Yes!

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Yes!

They were a very fine team and played some good football. Trevor Whymark is another name I'll throw into that great Ipswich team.

Did Terry Butcher play for Ipswich?:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:g reengrin

heretoday
26-10-2018, 09:22 PM

The man for me was Eric Gates, a fast and smart wee right-midfielder. He would have got more England caps if it hadn't been for Keegan.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:23 PM
They were a very fine team and played some good football. Trevor Whymark is another name I'll throw into that great Ipswich team.

Did Terry Butcher play for Ipswich?:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:g reengrin

Aye. And we shouldn’t forget that drunken balloon George Burley. Or the mercurial Makem Eric Gates.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:24 PM
The man for me was Eric Gates, a fast and smart wee right-midfielder. He would have got more England caps if it hadn't been for Keegan.

Beat me to it.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Must be really tough for older supporters clearly remembering these times and now watching the club at the bottom of the Championship. But thats football. Lets face it we (and Hearts for that matter) should never be out of the top flight but as we all know with mismanagement it can happen.

tamig
26-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Butcher and Russell Osman were the centre halves. Fantastic entertaining team. Ipswich and West Brom in the late 70s were my favourite English teams to watch on the telly.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Butcher and Russell Osman were the centre halves. Fantastic entertaining team. Ipswich and West Brom in the late 70s were my favourite English teams to watch on the telly.

Didnt they play a classic FA Cup semi final at Highbury, Ipswich winning ( and then going on to win the cup) John Wile of WBA cracking his head open and wearing a big bandage across his head for the rest of the match. Epic.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Didnt they play a classic FA Cup semi final at Highbury, Ipswich winning ( and then going on to win the cup) John Wile of WBA cracking his head open and wearing a big bandage across his head for the rest of the match. Epic.

Yellow / Green striped kit? Loving this thread.

tamig
26-10-2018, 09:40 PM

I remember that. John Wile was a tremendous servant to Wedt Brom. There were some brilliant centre halves around at that time.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:41 PM
I remember that. John Wile was a tremendous servant to Wedt Brom. There were some brilliant centre halves around at that time.

Gordon McQueen amongst them.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Yellow / Green striped kit? Loving this thread.

Slightly moved on from Ipswich (apologies) but always remember Regis and Cunningham destroying United at OT 5-3 in one of the best team performances I have ever seen. Was truly magical.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Gordon McQueen amongst them.

Dave Watson was a great centre back too.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Slightly moved on from Ipswich (apologies) but always remember Regis and Cunningham destroying United at OT 5-3 in one of the best team performances I have ever seen. Was truly magical.

I remember watching that performance on Match of the Day. Incredible. Recently resurfaced following Cyrille’s passing.

heretoday
26-10-2018, 10:21 PM
I remember watching that performance on Match of the Day. Incredible. Recently resurfaced following Cyrille’s passing.

Classic.:agree:

Hiber-nation
27-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Lambert confirmed as Ipswich manager. If he saves them from relegation he'll probably be punted by Christmas next season when in another relegation struggle. Talk about uninspiring.

sambajustice
27-10-2018, 10:33 AM

Did Dougie Cromb not get the right hump because he felt the Hibs fans chased out Alex Miller? :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
28-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Arnold Mühren was some boy. He won all three European trophies, the first being the European Cup with Ajax. Fifteen years later he provided the cross for ​that Marco Van Basten goal at Euro 88.

I think his brother played in all three of Ajax’s consecutive European Cup wins in the early 70s, can’t recall to seeing him play but he must have been decent to stick in that side.

I have a childhood memory of listening to Ipswich playing Aberdeen in Europe in 1981, on the radio. Too young to realise at the time, but they were two great, great teams with excellent managers, both punching above their weight and both who would mark that brief ascendancy with silverware, both domestic and continental.

ancient hibee
28-10-2018, 11:27 AM
That Ipswich team wasn’t a patch on the one Alf Ramsay coached up through the leagues to the very top.A fantastic feat.

CMurdoch
28-10-2018, 11:33 AM
In 1981 I attended Ipswich v Liverpool at Portman Road
A great and memorable day with all the great players named above playing.

Ipswich won 1-0 against a Liverpool team containing Dalglish, Souness, Hansen et al

Ipswich team:
Paul Cooper (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/2356), Russell Osman (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/8695), Mick Mills (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/7895), Steve McCall (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/7347), Arnold Muhren (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/8169), John Wark (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/11899), Frans Thijssen (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/11229), Alan Brazil (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/1313), Paul Mariner (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/7138), Eric Gates (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/4054), Terry Butcher (https://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/1654)

PatHead
28-10-2018, 03:20 PM
That Ipswich team wasn’t a patch on the one Alf Ramsay coached up through the leagues to the very top.A fantastic feat.

Sure that team had a Scottish full back.

Here’s Lucy!
28-10-2018, 03:47 PM

Ken Malcolm?

PatHead
28-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Ken Malcolm?

Not sure of his name but remember when I started working at Scottish Widows way back, someone telling me about him.

Here’s Lucy!
28-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Not sure of his name but remember when I started working at Scottish Widows way back, someone telling me about him.

Right.

Pretty sure that was the bloke.

ancient hibee
28-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Certainly had a Scottish centre forward-Doug Moran(ex Hibs)and also Jimmy Leadbetter.Ramsay liked Scots in the team.