PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: ON THIS DAY | HIBERNIAN 7-1 KS BESA

RSS Bot
25-10-2018, 09:00 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9357)

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2018, 09:31 AM
I remember we were coming back from an away game on the Saturday and stopped at the BBQ Fish and Chip Shop on Glasgow Road for a supper.

The KS Besa bus stopped at the lights so we ran across with our suppers and HIBS scarfs on jumping up and down going radge giving them the finger.

Welcome to Edinburgh.

I know juvenile but seemed a good idea at the time

Albania at that time was a communist state and the HIBS team Turnbulls Tornadoes blew them away with a scintillating brand of attacking football indeed the best brand of football the worlds ever seen!

The KS Besa players definately knew they were in another world

Hibbyradge
25-10-2018, 09:34 AM
I remember the game, but I've always referred to them as FC Besa, not KS.

Is my memory playing tricks again? :confused:

CropleyWasGod
25-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Get out of my mind. :greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
25-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Would be fantastic if we could ever draw another Albanian team. Its a changed country nowadays. Would be an awesome trip!:agree:

SonOfDavidFrancey
25-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Wa there not some story about the away leg that the crossbar was too low so the grounds man dig a trench along the goal line? Sure I read that somewhere but equally I may have advanced dementia.

SonOfDavidFrancey
25-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Klubit Sportiv Besa, for those of us fluent in Albanian . (Or able to use google translate.) FC is a translation.

Was thinking about this last night as the BBC site gave Red Star their proper Serbian name.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2018, 10:20 AM

My thoughts exactly I remember having this argument a few years back but Wikedpedia has them as Kiubi Sportiv Besa I am sure the match programme also has KS Besa but like you I remember F.C. Besa

Edit match programme actually has F.C. Besa on official site

GloryGlory
25-10-2018, 10:37 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9357)

I remember that at that time, even for an Iron Curtain country, Albania was very hard line
and Tommy Docherty quipped re the second leg that Hibs only problem would be getting out.

Green_one
25-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Wa there not some story about the away leg that the crossbar was too low so the grounds man dig a trench along the goal line? Sure I read that somewhere but equally I may have advanced dementia.

I recall that was a Dutch team they played in a previous round. Long time ago

MKHIBEE
25-10-2018, 12:15 PM
I recall them as FC Besa we played them the round after we beat Sporting Lisbon if I remember correctly.I had to indulge in some skulduggery to get to Easter Road for the Besa game as I had been banned from matches by my parens after getting hammered at the Sporting game.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2018, 12:48 PM
I recall them as FC Besa we played them the round after we beat Sporting Lisbon if I remember correctly.I had to indulge in some skulduggery to get to Easter Road for the Besa game as I had been banned from matches by my parens after getting hammered at the Sporting game.

How old were you then? :greengrin

Albanian Hibs
25-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Would be fantastic if we could ever draw another Albanian team. Its a changed country nowadays. Would be an awesome trip!:agree:

Wouldnt go that far 😂 it's still a bit behind the times, beach resorts down south are cracking though. Going for Scotland game next month.

Mick O'Rourke
25-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Remarkable nights,under the lights !
The round previous we took Sporting Lisbon to the cleaners.:on toast!
The Tornadoes in full flight !
A sight to behold !

The round after Besa we played Hadjuk Split.

The tie and result that led to Turnbull breaking up the finest team to wear the Green since the late 40s/early 50s.:not worth

Still raging :grr:

What might have been !
Que sera sera

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 03:45 PM
10 year old with my dear departed old man who treated me to all those European nights and I was a lucky lad. Sporting, Besa, Hadjuk, Leeds, Juventus ....stuff of fantasy.
I vividly remember Paddy giving the stand side linesman pelters at this one.

EastThomasSTboy
26-10-2018, 03:53 PM
I recall that was a Dutch team they played in a previous round. Long time ago

Nah, it was FC Besa in Albabia. Bobby Robertson was our unfortunate Goalie who had to take his place in the "newly-dug" trench. He also tells that they were followed every where by "inspector Gadget" govt agents in Trenchcoats.
It was such a backward spot, they had to take all their own food!!.

GGTTH:flag::flag:

Pagan Hibernia
26-10-2018, 04:05 PM
How is it possible I’m so nostalgic about a team I never saw, whose finest season was a decade before I was born?

Iggy Pope
26-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Nah, it was FC Besa in Albabia. Bobby Robertson was our unfortunate Goalie who had to take his place in the "newly-dug" trench. He also tells that they were followed every where by "inspector Gadget" govt agents in Trenchcoats.
It was such a backward spot, they had to take all their own food!!.

GGTTH:flag::flag:

Neebor of yours????? :greengrin

IberianHibernian
26-10-2018, 09:57 PM
I remember being in the Cave at the 7 v 1 game . Special permission was given to open half the Cave for standing during work to make it all seated . Don`t remember goalie Robertson . Did he play much in first team apart from 45 minutes in Albania ? Roddy McKenzie was goalie when we lost at Tynecastle in early 73 / 74 in first Derby after 7 v 0 .

eastterrace
26-10-2018, 10:02 PM
I remember being in the Cave at the 7 v 1 game . Special permission was given to open half the Cave for standing during work to make it all seated . Don`t remember goalie Robertson . Did he play much in first team apart from 45 minutes in Albania ? Roddy McKenzie was goalie when we lost at Tynecastle in early 73 / 74 in first Derby after 7 v 0 .

Bobby Robertson worked beside me back in the 90 and he did play for hibs in that game , he said he played a few other games but not many. I can’t really remember him much at hibs myself memory a bit faded. Was a lovely guy not seen him since back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk