PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Mallan

My_Wife_Camille
23-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Managed to get a few days off work this week for my mates court case and before he was up, myself and a few mates were in the pub having a chat over a few beverages. Anyway, the subject turned to Stevie Mallan and the impact hes had on the club so far.

I think I can safely say that Wee Stevie is the finest player to pull on the green and white since John Collins

Carheenlea
23-10-2018, 01:30 PM
That reminds me - still got a couple of episodes of Mortimer and Whitehouse to catch up on.

SRHibs
23-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Don’t think he’s even close to the top 10 players I’ve seen play for us, however his free kicks are about the best I can remember from a Hibs player.

CMurdoch
23-10-2018, 01:31 PM
That reminds me - still got a couple of episodes of Mortimer and Whitehouse to catch up on.

:greengrin

basehibby
23-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Managed to get a few days off work this week for my mates court case and before he was up, myself and a few mates were in the pub having a chat over a few beverages. Anyway, the subject turned to Stevie Mallan and the impact hes had on the club so far.

I think I can safely say that Wee Stevie is the finest player to pull on the green and white since John Collins

I think he is the best striker of the ball from distance we've had since Deek Riordan at least.

Apart from that he has already shown himself to be a fine player but, as I'm sure he would himself admit, he still has plenty of room for improvement. So, given that the likes of Latapy, Sauzee and, more recently SJM have filled our hallowed shirts since JC was a Hibs player, I think your assessment is a bit OTT. Nice thoughts though - I'll have what you've been drinking when I've finished for the day :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Going well this thread for you so far! 😉

GreenArmyyy!
23-10-2018, 01:42 PM

I’m assuming you’re still in the pub? Lol

The_Horde
23-10-2018, 01:46 PM
He's been superb so far. Reminds me of John Rankin, able to get about the pitch, diminutive and got a great strike from 30+ yards.

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Jury still out for me
Off to a good start
Needs to do more imho
Brilliant at free kicks
Still young and learning his trade
Not up there besides Cropley Edwards Mcginn and Bremner just yet
See that’s how far SJM has come getting quoted in that company
But not for me just yet!

Oscar T Grouch
23-10-2018, 02:06 PM
I think he is the best striker of the ball from distance we've had since Deek Riordan at least.

Apart from that he has already shown himself to be a fine player but, as I'm sure he would himself admit, he still has plenty of room for improvement. So, given that the likes of Latapy, Sauzee and, more recently SJM have filled our hallowed shirts since JC was a Hibs player, I think your assessment is a bit OTT. Nice thoughts though - I'll have what you've been drinking when I've finished for the day :thumbsup:

I think that’s what’s exciting about him. He’s still young and got time and room to improve. With Lennon as his coach he’s only gonna get better.

MB62
23-10-2018, 02:13 PM

Jury still out for me
Off to a good start
Needs to do more imho
Brilliant at free kicks
But not for me just yet!

Maybe that's why he was in the pub having a pint :wink: :greengrin

SRHibs
23-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Jury still out for me
Off to a good start
Needs to do more imho
Brilliant at free kicks
But not for me just yet!

What tune is this to?

flash
23-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Jury still out for me
Off to a good start
Needs to do more imho
Brilliant at free kicks
But not for me just yet!
Parklife!

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2018, 02:29 PM
He's been superb so far. Reminds me of John Rankin, able to get about the pitch, diminutive and got a great strike from 30+ yards.
Maybe needs to add the squiggler to his repertoire next Wednesday night and take the Jambos unawares 😁

Diclonius
23-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ian cruise
23-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Parklife!

It actually works as well, get the singing section on it!

superfurryhibby
23-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Mallan has a long way to go as a footballer and hopefully our fantastic coaching team will ensure that his overall game becomes as good as his striking of the ball. I think there is more to come from Mallan and look forward to seeing him develop at Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2018, 04:09 PM
I agree with this. I actually enjoy most of BILLYHIBS's posts but then flash comes along and ruins it
Ha Ha ! I actually thought Flash’s post was quite funny 😂
I was disappointed with SR HIBS as I normally like her/his posts but was unsure if he/ she was taking the pish or having a laugh at the simple layout of my post/thoughts on Stevie Mallan who despite any criticism I think is an excellent young player with loads of potential and plenty of scope for improvement 😂
Bring oan the Jambos!

Bostonhibby
23-10-2018, 04:14 PM
We should be cracking down on free scoring midfielders in Hibs strips, we've had an embarrassment of riches in that respect over recent years, and the further out he scores them from the more stick we should give him.

It's even more unacceptable if the guy is a decent footballer as well.

I blame Neil Lennon.

Hiber-nation
23-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Deary me. Hibs.net once again proving that, much like a primary school playground, if your face doesn't fit you'll get picked on and insulted by those who think they are better than you.

What started off as a thread praising one of our key players this season, albeit accompanied by a little light hearted hyperbole, has needlessly turned into name calling, petty digs and bullying. What a terrible shame. This is not hibs class. This is not hibs class at all.

And still, people wonder why threads asking about cliques and double standards appear every few months.

That's definitely your funniest effort yet.

flash
23-10-2018, 04:21 PM
I can only assume that you don't think Mallan is able to get about the pitch, diminutive and has got a great strike from 30+ yards if you think that's trolling?

Last sentence of original post might be arguable.

DH1875
23-10-2018, 04:24 PM
I like him. Think he's been a great signing so far. Not sure about the finest player since John Collins though :greengrin

Hermit Crab
23-10-2018, 04:26 PM

:fishin:

Jay
23-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Can we try and keep it on topic and stop hurling personal abuse about. I can personally confirm MWC and Dexter are not the same person.

Back on track please

GreenOnions
23-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Jury still out for me
Off to a good start
Needs to do more imho
Brilliant at free kicks
But not for me just yet!

Maybe that's why he was in the pub having a pint :wink: :greengrin

:hmmm:

What tune is this to?

Disappointingly it just doesn't scan at all - although "We went to the animal fair" may have some potential?

GreenOnions
23-10-2018, 05:55 PM
FWIW - I really like what Mallan is bringing to the team. He's brought goals and set pieces but a good bit more than that too I think.

In his general play I've been quite surprised to find myself comparing him to McGeouch more than any of our other recent players - although just a bit further up the pitch. He has a good first touch and is excellent at finding small pockets of space and keeping possession/passing in little triangles in the opposition half.

He's got a bit to go before he reaches Dylan's level but definitely potential there I feel. Keep it going please Stevie!

Tobias Funke
23-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Can we try and keep it on topic and stop hurling personal abuse about. I can personally confirm MWC and Dexter are not the same person.

Back on track please

I think MWC and Dexter are the same person but 100% hermaphrodite.

The_Horde
23-10-2018, 06:27 PM
I think MWC and Dexter are the same person but 100% hermaphrodite.

I agree. We should both be faxed back to Kaunas.

Mr_F
23-10-2018, 07:25 PM

I’d love to have been this drunk at 2:30 today

EH54
23-10-2018, 07:41 PM
He's scoring one at tynie. Been picturing it since he signed.

J-C
23-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Weird to see a thread where there's as many deleted posts as there are posted ones.

FWIW I think Mallan is a cracking player, plays with his head up, decent passer and a wicked shot/free kick, he's still pretty young and can only get better, looking for big things from him in the future.

Shrekko
23-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Seems quite common to read people not being convinced by Mallan so far. Words fail me.

I'm_cabbaged
23-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Weird to see a thread where there's as many deleted posts as there are posted ones.

FWIW I think Mallan is a cracking player, plays with his head up, decent passer and a wicked shot/free kick, he's still pretty young and can only get better, looking for big things from him in the future.

Getting told to shut up by the Mrs!! 😂

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2018, 09:50 PM

Aye it looks like we missed out on the fun. :greengrin

And I agree with what you say about Mallan as well.

Smartie
23-10-2018, 09:53 PM
I think he's top notch.

Milligan and Mallan are first picks but I'm still not sure we've quite got the middle of the park right yet.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2018, 06:33 AM
I think he's top notch.

Milligan and Mallan are first picks but I'm still not sure we've quite got the middle of the park right yet.

Agree still missing something. We need someone with dynamism to drive us forward to carry the ball from middle pitch to the top of the pitch able to put in a tackle receive a tackle and bounce up for more able to pick out a pass have strength speed determination a brilliant first touch and able to chip in with 15-20 goals a season. Most importantly needs to buy into our ethos and tradition of playing fast exciting entertaining and attractive football preferably a Hibby.
I would also like a PS4 a HIBS strip and 50” HDTV for my room

Thank you Santa

BILLYHIBS
aged 12 and three quarters

theonlywayisup
24-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Agree still missing something. We need someone with dynamism to drive us forward to carry the ball from middle pitch to the top of the pitch able to put in a tackle receive a tackle and bounce up for more able to pick out a pass have strength speed determination a brilliant first touch and able to chip in with 15-20 goals a season. Most importantly needs to buy into our ethos and tradition of playing fast exciting entertaining and attractive football preferably a Hibby.

Thank you Santa

BILLYHIBS

Sounds like you are describing Pogba. However even would have is Hibs.net critics.

SRHibs
24-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Sounds like you are describing Pogba. However even would have is Hibs.net critics.

Pogba reminds me of Sol Bamba.😅

Alex Trager
24-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Haha John Rankin?

Low praise indeed

scoopyboy
24-10-2018, 09:02 AM
I like Stevie Mallan and think he will turn out to be a huge signing in time.

He still has a long way to go though before he's the finished article.

I get a real buzz when we get a free kick around the box, probably more so than Sauzee or Deek.

Something tells me though that he can't keep his scoring rate up from them but would love to be wrong.

BSEJVT
24-10-2018, 09:09 AM
I like Stevie Mallan and think he will turn out to be a huge signing in time.

He still has a long way to go though before he's the finished article.

I get a real buzz when we get a free kick around the box, probably more so than Sauzee or Deek.

Something tells me though that he can't keep his scoring rate up from them but would love to be wrong.

Agree with the above

Mallan's ability when he has the ball is fantastic

IMO what will define how good he can become is if he can improve substantially his contribution when we don't have the ball.

Don't get me wrong Mallan is a very good player right now and is worthy of his place in the team

If he can improve his contribution when we don't have the ball he would become an exceptional player.

TheHarpy76
24-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Could be a great player for us but steady. At this stage he’s nowhere close to comparable with JC.

TheHarpy76
24-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Haha John Rankin?

Low praise indeed

I’ll take a “squiggler” next week :greengrin

Smartie
24-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Thank you Santa

BILLYHIBS

Not so much the tackle part, but Horgan is probably the closest to what you describe. I've quite liked his dynamism when he's played centrally.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Cracking player, but you really think he is a better player than the European Cup winning former French Captain Sauzee!?

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Not so much the tackle part, but Horgan is probably the closest to what you describe. I've quite liked his dynamism when he's played centrally.
Dunno! I don’t know why he was left out the team for a few weeks? I think Lenny might be unsure about his best position he is a winger but I think you are correct we need to deploy him more centrally. He started off brightly enough for us but I felt that he often chose the wrong option and his final ball is often wasteful His first twenty minutes against Celtic was forgettable but the same can be said of many others I remember one effort first half that he hammered high and wide when other options were on. Second half he was linking up well with Flo and that partnership together with the return of Jamie Mac might bear fruit

superfurryhibby
24-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Dunno! I don’t know why he was left out the team for a few weeks? I think Lenny might be unsure about his best position he is a winger but I think you are correct we need to deploy him more centrally. He started off brightly enough for us but I felt that he often chose the wrong option and his final ball is often wasteful His first twenty minutes against Celtic was forgettable but the same can be said of many others I remember one effort first half that he hammered high and wide when other options were on. Second half he was linking up well with Flo and that partnership together with the return of Jamie Mac might bear fruit

Horgan started well, but his form dipped for a few weeks and we have a fair bit of competition for places across the midfield, hence why he was benched?

As for Mallan, we all want our players to be the best they can be. I think there is plenty of scope for development with this laddie and our coaching team have shown they have the skills to do this. So far he’s done very well, butI think there is plenty more to come from him. The midfield are still gelling and they will also improve as the season goes on. As a couple of folk have said, we need to find the right blend. Guys like Slivka and Hyndman have shown promise and hopefully they will impose themselves on the first team in the coming months.