PDA

View Full Version : Rejects

Jackh
21-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Absolutely appalling comments yesterday from Lennon. Absolutely no way he should be labelling his team as rejects. Granted he did go to say how well they had done but that doesn’t excuse what he said. Shocking

SRHibs
21-10-2018, 10:32 AM
I think he may have just been grasping for a word and unfortunately ended up with that. With the additional context it’s hard to disagree with the overall sentiment.

marinello59
Seriously?

MWHIBBIES
Who is appalled? Seems to just be you.

What Lennon says in papers and what he tells the players are probably very different.

Don't look for something that isn't there

Leith Green
21-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Absolutely appalling comments yesterday from Lennon. Absolutely no way he should be labelling his team as rejects. Granted he did go to say how well they had done but that doesn’t excuse what he said. Shocking

Kind of thought that myself. Would be a bit disappointed if i was one of those players.

weecounty hibby
21-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Rubbish. Lets not get all high and mighty about everything said and done. I and Im sure most of the others who heard the comments understand what he's saying. Im sure the players will as well. If not they will probably ask him about it, it'll be explained and all forgotten about. Except by folk like yourself who want to make a big deal out of it

Dancehibs
21-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Normally term managers used. No great issue. He’s using term to highlight gap in budgets between us and Celtic

Fergos
21-10-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm outraged that there are some that are outraged by this, it's outrageous.

Leith Green
21-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Im not outraged.. Would just be disappointed if my manager publicly labelled me a reject

BlackSheep
21-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Lets put it this way....

Using the term rejects shows what the players previous clubs may have thought of said player... not how Lennon or Hibs views them.... they are no longer rejects now they are at Hibs.

Ofir Marciano was not the first choice at his previous club so they let him go.
Adam Bogdan was nowhere near the starting eleven.
Darren McGregor's contract was allowed to run down.
Stevie Mallan barely got a look in at Barnsley.
Daryl Horgan wasn't a starter at Preston.
Florian Kamberi didn't get his chance at Grasshoppers.
Jamie MacLaren didn't see much game time at Darmstadt.
Efe Ambrose was and still is viewed as a bombscare by Celtic....

Need i go on.

Lennon has turned players whose previous clubs rejected their talent into first team players who have improved our club.

Michael
21-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Is Edouard not a PSG reject?

Bit of a harsh term though.

Since90+2
21-10-2018, 10:43 AM
What did he say?

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 10:45 AM
nothing appalling when you read or hear the full interview, lighten up

G B Young
A quick glance at the OP's previous posts reveals that negativity about all things Hibs is a common theme. Most likely a yam with little better to do.

I thought Lennon's post-match comments were, as ever, honest and accurate.

Allant1981

get a grip, im guessing you didnt grasp what he was saying

Carheenlea
21-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Surely most people would know what he meant with the term and understand the point he was making.

Fergos
21-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Im not outraged.. Would just be disappointed if my manager publicly labelled me a reject

Shocked I think was the term you used, a mild form of outrage....no?

Heat of the moment, emotional stuff from NL, maybe better we all start to focus on turning over the jumbos next week instead of looking at criticising within. IMHO of course.

GGTTH

Golden Bear
21-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Somethings are best left unsaid and that was certainly one of them. Personally, I think that Neil should forget about the Press interviews and allow someone else to take them on his behalf.

DH1875
21-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Is Edouard not a PSG reject?

Bit of a harsh term though.

Exactly :agree: 99% of professional footballers are rejects because Real Madrid or Barcelona don't want them.

Golden Bear
21-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Surely most people would know what he meant with the term and understand the point he was making.

:agree:

However the same message could be delivered by using a better choice of words.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Somethings are best left unsaid and that was certainly one of them. Personally, I think that Neil should forget about the Press interviews and allow someone else to take them on his behalf.

Do you actually think Lennon is daft and just blurts things out?

Knows just what he's doing.

Pete
21-10-2018, 10:49 AM
So this thread isn’t about the department store in Kirkcaldy?

Very misleading.

Heisenberg
21-10-2018, 10:52 AM

It seems a couple are outraged by it. He is right though, the players will know exactly what he means too. Kamberi is a cast off. Boyle is another who is a prime example. Hibs have been great for these players and in turn, as Lennon points out, they have done brilliantly for us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Very misleading.

My Mrs loves that shop but we never ask for a carrier bag right enough.

G B Young
21-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Very misleading.

Indeed. I assumed it was the announcement of a Cockney Rejects tour.

Leith Green
21-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Shocked I think was the term you used, a mild form of outrage....no?

Heat of the moment, emotional stuff from NL, maybe better we all start to focus on turning over the jumbos next week instead of looking at criticising within. IMHO of course.

GGTTH

You are confusing my post with the original post from jackh.
I said id be disappointed if i was one of the players he was referring too.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2018, 11:13 AM
I'm absolutely raging, i'm not sure why though?

cleanyman
21-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Don't see the problem

He's probably right

Frazerbob
21-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Get a grip. I’m sure the squad are having a good laugh about it this morning.

Dancehibs
21-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Get a grip. I’m sure the squad are having a good laugh about it this morning.

On thier way to rods house

One Day Soon
21-10-2018, 11:31 AM
I’m outraged at how little effort 5hit stirrers and undercover Poppy Thieves put into their attempts to promote discontent on .net.

You would almost most think there was a correlation between low post counts, transparently stupid posts and being a member of the Rover preservation society.

Fergos
21-10-2018, 11:51 AM
You are confusing my post with the original post from jackh.
I said id be disappointed if i was one of the players he was referring too.

Apologies, you are correct.

My post was in regard to the OP and the use of terms such as "shocked" and "appalling".

GGTTH

judas
21-10-2018, 11:56 AM

I am outraged, that you are outraged that there are some people on here that are outraged by this outrageous event.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Think it was regrets and the op has had a major spello?

judas
21-10-2018, 11:59 AM
I think Lennon has played the psychological game quite well in his time at Hibs and it’s probably the reason we are more consistent under his tenure.

essexhibee
21-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Where are these comments?

WoreTheGreen
21-10-2018, 12:11 PM
I am outraged, that you are outraged that there are some people on here that are outraged by this outrageous event.

I’am outraged that i’am not outraged

Famous Fiver
21-10-2018, 12:12 PM
I think the OP should jump on the no 33 bus and get himself off to his natural habitat.

oldbutdim
21-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Martin Boyle was rejected by Dundee, it destroyed his future development.

He was more recently rejected by Judas for international duty.
He'll have no future as an internationalist now for sure.

I doubt very much if he will ever have a decent game again.

It's outrageous.

Forza Fred
21-10-2018, 12:20 PM
I think the OP should jump on the no 33 bus and get himself off to his natural habitat.

I smell strangers.......

Bangkok Hibby
21-10-2018, 12:30 PM

I thought he was very measured in his interview. Angry at the ref but stayed relatively calm. The rejects comment as has been said here was merely pointing out the difference in class/cost of his squad to Celtic. He's praised his team in the vast majority of interviews this season and he did it again yesterday.

Fergos
21-10-2018, 12:41 PM

I know Judas, it's just outrageous that you are outraged by me being outraged that there are some people that are outraged about NLs comments.

Im outraged beyond belief now, can't believe how outraged I am. Bloody totally completely outrageous.

FilipinoHibs
21-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Typical Lennon outburst after a game. How many internationalists do we have?

Robbo6-2
21-10-2018, 12:50 PM
You could argue Efe is a Celtic reject and I wouldn't mind 11 Efes

One Day Soon
21-10-2018, 12:58 PM

'Outburst'.

I was outraged with the shop assistant's 'shock revelations' yesterday that the rolls were finished, then there was 'shock news' as I had tea instead of coffee mid-morning, followed by being 'rapped' by the neighbour for the state of our hedge and 'slammed' by the kids for yesterday's dinner. I think I'm probably set to be 'axed' by the wife for not getting chocolate hob-nobs in again. Just as well I'm not a 'love-rat' with a 'love nest' too.

But aye, 'outburst'. :rolleyes:

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 01:08 PM

how many were rejected by their last clubs? bogdan, mcgregor, ambrose, gray, horgan, maclaren, kamberi, boyle, marciano. probably more than those lot that werent wanted at the previous clubs so he was right in what he said

WhileTheChief..
21-10-2018, 01:33 PM
He was saying that in comparison to Celtic having a £9m striker, we have players rejected by other clubs. He was in no way, at all, putting his own players down.

A complete non story. Stop trying to stir up what isn’t there.

Kojock
21-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Lee Marvin did okay with a dozen rejects.

Here’s Lucy!
21-10-2018, 04:59 PM
There is no doubt that NL used the wrong word. There is equally no doubt that he didn't mean it.

Have folk on here never, when in a pressurised situation, used the wrong word in error and then regretted it. I know I have.

Move on, nothing to see here. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Relax.
See the context in which Neil Lennon said what he did (Celtic's budget against ours)
This current group of players know exactly where he was coming from.

JimBHibees
21-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Yamtastic. Kok of a comment.

JimBHibees
21-10-2018, 06:44 PM
I'm absolutely raging, i'm not sure why though?

:faf::faf:

we are hibs
21-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Why is everyone who doesn't think the sun shines out lennon's arse get called a "yam"? It's absolutely embarrassing. He may have said it in the heat of the moment but I still find using the word reject poor. Maybe he should give himself more time After games before getting interviewed rather than coming out with rash comments after defeats?

cmcd
21-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Rubbish. Lets not get all high and mighty about everything said and done. I and Im sure most of the others who heard the comments understand what he's saying. Im sure the players will as well. If not they will probably ask him about it, it'll be explained and all forgotten about. Except by folk like yourself who want to make a big deal out of it

Well said

JimBHibees
21-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Why is everyone who doesn't think the sun shines out lennon's arse get called a "yam"? It's absolutely embarrassing. He may have said it in the heat of the moment but I still find using the word reject poor. Maybe he should give himself more time After games before getting interviewed rather than coming out with rash comments after defeats?

Nothing rash about his comments totally spot on. Anyone who regularly criticises Hibs or our manager regularly and for little or no reason absolutely deserves to have their agenda questioned.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 07:00 PM

have you actually heard or read the full interview? if so then i dont understand why you think it was poor

we are hibs
21-10-2018, 07:05 PM
have you actually heard or read the full interview? if so then i dont understand why you think it was poor

Does it matter what context it was used in? It's poor calling your own players rejects. He could have put across the same point but worded differently.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Does it matter what context it was used in? It's poor calling your own players rejects. He could have put across the same point but worded differently.

so im guessing thats a no you havent read it or heard it, and of course it matters, most of our players weren't wanted by their previous club, they are wanted here and are doing well as he said

Golden Bear
21-10-2018, 07:33 PM
so im guessing thats a no you havent read it or heard it, and of course it matters, most of our players weren't wanted by their previous club, they are wanted here and are doing well as he said

Must admit I never knew about the last sentence, I only remarked on what i read on the thread.

Allant1981
21-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Must admit I never knew about the last sentence, I only remarked on what i read on the thread.

sorry these my words not the direct quotes

The Spaceman
21-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Cummings was a Hearts reject...

It isn't a bad thing - most of our signings were elsewhere before us at a higher level and "failed". That is why they are here. Maybe wasn't a necessary comment but it is true! Could be said for almost every player in world football outside of the top 10 biggest clubs though...

basehibby
22-10-2018, 12:05 AM

What a load of slavering gibberish!

Lennon does a good interview - he is usually quite eloquent and enjoyable to listen to. He is the man who picks the Hibs team and fans want to hear what he has to say.

ThomasAgyepong
22-10-2018, 01:57 AM
Tbf, Lennon has done nothing but state the truth there however could’ve maybe used a different choice of words.

Austinho
22-10-2018, 04:39 AM
We have a Liverpool reject, a Juventus reject, a Manchester City reject, a Feyenoord reject and a Panathinaikos reject - funnily enough, I’m ok with that.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-10-2018, 07:10 AM
We have a Liverpool reject, a Juventus reject, a Manchester City reject, a Feyenoord reject and a Panathinaikos reject - funnily enough, I’m ok with that.
Grasshoppers reject .

Bangkok Hibby
22-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Have any of the players responded to the "rejects" comment? I very much doubt it. People who get offended on others behalf should reel their necks in.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Just back from holiday and feel really frustrated I missed out on the opportunity to experience some outrage.

Anyone know when the next opportunity is?

22-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Just back from holiday and feel really frustrated I missed out on the opportunity to experience some outrage.

How about Hearts awarded 2 soft penalties?

https://youtu.be/hHU2goJJwLI

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2018, 10:06 AM

How about Celtic only gave away two fouls the whole match HIBS 18 ???

Billy Whizz
22-10-2018, 10:25 AM
How about Celtic only gave away two fouls the whole match HIBS 18 ???

If that stat is right, meant that Celtic didn’t commit a foul in the whole of the 2nd half

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Just glance at a Daily Record headline if you walk past a newsagent.

Pretty ure you’ll find something you can come on and tell us about and we can all share your outrage!

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2018, 11:12 AM
This thread is actually a belter. The folk that are complaining didn’t even listen to the interview!!!

Context is everything.

Some of you need to grow up or better still just go do one instead of trying to cause mischief.

CMurdoch
22-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Lennon is a Bolton reject.
He probably should have mentioned that for balance.

poolman
22-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Grow up FFS

It can't take a lot to shock you

ian cruise
22-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Have any of the players responded to the "rejects" comment? I very much doubt it. People who get offended on others behalf should reel their necks in.

This is the sort of moment where you need a Kris Commons type in the squad, being pictured at training sitting in a wheelie bin with reject written on it. I very much doubt any player has taken it personally they'll know the context in which it was meant.

Crazyhorse
22-10-2018, 11:46 AM

There's still time for you to make a 'Down with this sort of thing' placard and head over to East Mains.

allezsauzee
22-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Not sure we've had such a motivated squad of players as we have now in my 40 years of watching the team so I'll trust Neil to know what he should and shouldn't be saying to and about them over the psychology experts on here who are critical of his methods.

jacomo
22-10-2018, 12:04 PM

I’m outraged that I missed this interview and therefore missed an opportunity to be outraged.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I’m outraged that I missed this interview and therefore missed an opportunity to be outraged.

If you want to be outraged you’d be better just reading the comments on here - listening to the interview will just make you nod along and agree with NL.

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Time for the “Marlon Brando in The Wild One” approach.

Townsman”What are you rebelling against?”

Marlon “What have you got?”

Keith_M
22-10-2018, 12:48 PM
I heard his interview and have to agree with the OP. It can't have done the players' confidence much good to hear how he decided to describe them.

The feeling I got from the interview was that he was embarassed to be in charge of a team that were outclassed at his former club and would have said anything to minimize any blame that could be put on him.

Not very classy

Bangkok Hibby
22-10-2018, 01:10 PM
I heard his interview and have to agree with the OP. It can't have done the players' confidence much good to hear how he decided to describe them.

The feeling I got from the interview was that he was embarassed to be in charge of a team that were outclassed at his former club and would have said anything to minimize any blame that could be put on him.

Not very classy

That's the strangest interpretation of the interview I've heard but everyone is entitled to an opinion

I'm Spartacus
22-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I don't think it was harsh at all, every club in Scotland has picked up rejects from other clubs, that's Scottish footballs level.

Folk get their knickers in a twist over anything.

Allant1981
22-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Not very classy

rubbish

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Not very classy

:faf: I have written some real sheite on these pages over the years, but well done for beating mine hands down. :thumbsup:

The 90+2
22-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Reject perhaps wasn’t the best choice of wording but it was simply to play down talks of titled challenges coupled with a loss that Neil would be hurting from. It’s not that big a deal at all, most players are rejects from other clubs but the point was they dwarf us in terms finance and the standard of player they can attract. Oh and hello hibs.net :)

The 90+2
22-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Not very classy

Sorry but that’s not the context of the reply to the question he was asked.

Bangkok Hibby
22-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Reject perhaps wasn’t the best choice of wording but it was simply to play down talks of titled challenges coupled with a loss that Neil would be hurting from. It’s not that big a deal at all, most players are rejects from other clubs but the point was they dwarf us in terms finance and the standard of player they can attract. Oh and hello hibs.net :)

Welcome

O'Rourke3
22-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Not very classy

Trolling or piss ripping, which is it?

Keith_M
22-10-2018, 04:18 PM
That's the strangest interpretation of the interview I've heard but everyone is entitled to an opinion

Sorry, but that's how it came over. Why else would he describe the players the way he did?

BTW, I'm not a Lennon hater, as I think he's doing a very good job at ER, but I do wonder sometimes if he thinks before opening his mouth.

Keith_M
22-10-2018, 04:21 PM
:faf: I have written some real sheite on these pages over the years, but well done for beating mine hands down. :thumbsup:

That really is high praise, coming from you

:greengrin

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Not very classy

You should listen to it agian.

Honestly, I didn’t get one bit of what you did from the interview.

I actually thought you were on the wind up!!

The 90+2
22-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Welcome

Thank you.

The 90+2
22-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Cummings was a Hearts reject...

It isn't a bad thing - most of our signings were elsewhere before us at a higher level and "failed". That is why they are here. Maybe wasn't a necessary comment but it is true! Could be said for almost every player in world football outside of the top 10 biggest clubs though...

Jason wasn’t a hearts reject, they released him because they where skint and he was injured. Classy.

Lago
22-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Not very classy
You don't half come out with some bull s**t at times.

Inconsequential
22-10-2018, 04:46 PM
So our manager is getting flak because he was being realistic. Most of our players are rejects ( from other clubs) but that doesn't mean they don't have ability. It is the coach's job to improve and guide them to achieve more and I believe this is what Neil Lennon excels at.

Here’s Lucy!
22-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Lennon is a Bolton reject.
He probably should have mentioned that for balance.

Very good! :thumbsup:

Here’s Lucy!
22-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Just what I said last night. Oh, and hello Hibs net from me too :aok:

SirDavidsNapper
22-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Compared to his antics at Tynecastle which i slated him for this is a complete non issue. Didn't think there was anything wrong with what he said. He was talking about the gulf in resources was he not? He certainly has his moments but i didn't see this as one.

Bangkok Hibby
22-10-2018, 05:20 PM

And welcome to you too :flag:

One Day Soon
22-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Sorry, but that's how it came over. Why else would he describe the players the way he did?

BTW, I'm not a Lennon hater, as I think he's doing a very good job at ER, but I do wonder sometimes if he thinks before opening his mouth.

Interesting. I’ve never wondered that about Neil but constantly think it’s true of a number of .net posters.

Here’s Lucy!
22-10-2018, 05:22 PM
And welcome to you too :flag:

flash
22-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Not very classy
Does anybody involved have a beard?

Eyrie
22-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Bit late to this thread, but I hate being left out so can I join in the outrage?

And could someone explain to me what I want to be outraged about?

Skol
22-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Who rejected hanlon & Stevenson ?

FWIW, I dont see any problem with Lennon's comments

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2018, 08:26 PM
If that stat is right, meant that Celtic didn’t commit a foul in the whole of the 2nd half
Yip! Very hard to believe. Confirmed on Livescores.
I remember Stevie Mallin taking two free kicks outside the box early doors after that not a foul awarded in HIBS favour the rest of the game
Cannae be right?
Just shows how biased the ref was
Lenny every right to be enraged! Sorry OUTRAGED!
Stat also confirmed by FlashScores

The 90+2
22-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Good to meet you Mack!

Nutmegged
22-10-2018, 11:50 PM
Poor terminology from an intelligent man, I know what Lennon meant and I understand his over the top way of getting his point across but I don't think it does anyone any favours if you're referring to them as rejects, huge fan of Neil Lennon and what he's brought to the club but like him I call a spade a spade and it was out of order, I'm sure he didn't mean it and doesn't think it but it's out there now.

Beefster
23-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Interesting. I’ve never wondered that about Neil but constantly think it’s true of a number of .net posters.

There’s no need to continually have a go at me on every thread. I hadn’t even posted on this one.

I’m outraged tbh.

Time For Heroes
23-10-2018, 11:37 AM
"I'm sick of hearing this 'title contention' stuff, they've got a budget of £60 million, and a £9 million striker.

"I've got free transfers and rejects from other clubs who are playing brilliantly, for me.

In that context I get what he's saying, he's right in all honesty, I doubt the players will care about those comments. Harsh by Lennon perhaps but he's not wrong imo

I'm Spartacus
23-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Pogba was a Man U reject.
Mata was a Chelsea reject.
Everybody is a reject of some kind!!!

Keith_M
23-10-2018, 12:09 PM

I don't know about everybody else, but I generally don't find the need to open my mouth before I type...

...or put my brain in gear

:wink:

Bangkok Hibby
23-10-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't know about everybody else, but I generally don't find the need to open my mouth before I type...

Nice response :wink: You've had a hard time here (but you deserved it) :agree::wink::wink::wink:

eastmainsmsh
23-10-2018, 02:37 PM
You could argue Efe is a Celtic reject and I wouldn't mind 11 Efes

Had a few efes in bodrum 😉

we are hibs
23-10-2018, 05:18 PM

I did hear it. He could have made the same point and just left it with I have a Squad full of free transfers rather than label them rejects.

Here’s Lucy!
23-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Good to meet you Mack!

You too mate. :thumbsup:

Here’s Lucy!
23-10-2018, 05:29 PM

:applause: I like that!

Keith_M
23-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Nice response :wink: You've had a hard time here (but you deserved it) :agree::wink::wink::wink:

I know, sorry guys, just having one of those days.

:aok:

green day
23-10-2018, 05:52 PM
I was going to post something supporting or hating this thread, but in the end I decided to write some meaningless drivel just to get my post count up :wink:

Allant1981
23-10-2018, 05:55 PM
I did hear it. He could have made the same point and just left it with I have a Squad full of free transfers rather than label them rejects.

but some of them weren't free transfers

One Day Soon
23-10-2018, 07:04 PM
I was going to post something supporting or hating this thread, but in the end I decided to write some meaningless drivel just to get my post count up :wink:

In the context of this thread you've nailed it completely.