PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst referees

cameronw-hfc
20-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Bit different, who is the best ref in the country at the moment? Usually I'd go for McLean but not been impressed recently. Worst has to go to Willie Collum. Worst of all time is Richmond imo however. Always remember him nearly causing a riot at ER v Falkirk if I remember correctly?

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2018, 10:50 PM
All dreadful

LaMotta
20-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Bit different, who is the best ref in the country at the moment? Usually I'd go for McLean but not been impressed recently. Worst has to go to Willie Collum. Worst of all time is Richmond imo however. Always remember him nearly causing a riot at ER v Falkirk if I remember correctly?

Think thats Alan Freeland for the Falkirk riot. He was hopeless that day and on many other occasions (eg Killie away last game of same season).

Louis Thow was horrendous in the late 80s early 90s. Craig Thomson obviously, but still think he was bought by Romanov.

overdrive
20-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Controversial but Dallas Jr has probably been the best we’ve had this season (and on more than one occasion).

Worst - too many to mention.

Crunchie
20-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Steven McLean will always be the best ever referee in my eyes.

Tornadoes70
20-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Controversial but Dallas Jr has probably been the best we’ve had this season (and on more than one occasion).

Worst - too many to mention.

Probably this to be perfectly honest.

I grew up as a Hibernian fan when open hostility to our club was to be expected. Mcluskey, Valentine and McGinlay were all masons no doubt about it. Mike McCurray and the swine who sent off Grant Brebner for bugger all, Freeland, Hugh Dallas, etc etc etc have all since vindicated that we were not at all 'paranoid' but there actually was an agenda against clubs like us. The present lot of Clancy, Collum etc do nothing to think things have changed but they are now more sneaky about it in they pretend to be so incompetent against both clubs yet sneakily award undue penalties/sending offs in favour of one team the yams while both sets of fans think they were just rotten to both teams. Pathetic and needs seriously addressed.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Montford
21-10-2018, 12:27 AM
Mike McCurrys cheating of Dundee Utd at Ibrox in 2008 will take some beating
I remember saying at the time Rangers must have some kind of hold on him
Then 2 weeks later he (as a married church elder) was outed for having a relationship with a 19/20 year old girl from his church and resigned from refereeing
Surprised no one joined the dots

lapsedhibee
21-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Mike McCurrys cheating of Dundee Utd at Ibrox in 2008 will take some beating
I remember saying at the time Rangers must have some kind of hold on him
Then 2 weeks later he (as a married church elder) was outed for having a relationship with a 19/20 year old girl from his church and resigned from refereeing
Surprised no one joined the dots

Was there not also some mystery surrounding McGinlay's sudden disappearance from an international tournament? Not sure if that was also scandal-related.

AltheHibby
21-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Didn't happen. I know him and his family. Daily ****** made it up with her.

One Day Soon
21-10-2018, 11:39 AM
There’s no difference, they are all ****s

cleanyman
21-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Dougie McDonald was a good referee. As was John Rowbotham who is a lovely big chap.

Hugh Dallas was one of the best for me and was nice to talk to.

Its a shame we no longer have two of these guys in the youth set up for various reasons.

The WORST is Alan Freeland. Many referees agree with this. You're not allowed to criticse but I'm no longer part of an association so all good

Del Boy
21-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Rowbotham was about best I can remember

McCurry probably the worst. Clancy probably the worst one at the moment

Famous Fiver
21-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Rowbotham was/is a Jambo.

Tiny Wharton was the most obvious mason/Rangers supporter by a country mile.

Freeland was just useless.

in my opinion.

TelaStella
21-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Controversial but I’ve always thought Thompson has been okay with us ever since that cup final but nonetheless he will never ever be forgiven. I like McLean but it’s quite hard to give him a good word given the Jordan Jones incident a couple weeks ago. Collum and Clancy are both absolute calamities where as I never really know what to expect with Madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
21-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Andrew Dallas is by far the worst. Not even Sunday league standard and only there because of his last name.

where'stheslope
21-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Andrew Dallas is by far the worst. Not even Sunday league standard and only there because of his last name.
If you seen any of the Hamilton Rangers game today, some of his decisions were incredable!
Playing on when Rangers attacking, pulling back when Hamilton on the ball???
Gave Rangers 2 of the softest pens ever just after Hamilton equalised??
And was a yard from Morellos at the restart after Hamilton equalised, he ran straight into Bingham and went down requiring treatment, ref told him first to get up, but don't know why he never yellow carded him????

StevieT
21-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Dougie McDonald was a good referee. As was John Rowbotham who is a lovely big chap.

Its a shame we no longer have two of these guys in the youth set up for various reasons.

The WORST is Alan Freeland. Many referees agree with this. You're not allowed to criticse but I'm no longer part of an association so all good

I am and just landed a £150 fine from the compliance officer for criticising.

angus hibby
21-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Rowbotham was/is a Jambo.

Tiny Wharton was the most obvious mason/Rangers supporter by a country mile.

Freeland was just useless.

in my opinion.

Not sure Rowbotham is a jambo? Was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago where he was guest speaker. He told an amusing story about the time he had great delight in sending off Pressley at Tynecastle.

dchibs
22-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Not sure Rowbotham is a jambo? Was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago where he was guest speaker. He told an amusing story about the time he had great delight in sending off Pressley at Tynecastle.

Yes I saw him at a speakers night and said he was a big Raith fan, the story was a local fife derby where he gave Raith a late pen and after he scored he ran into the Raith fans, but didn't book him because he was too busy running to the half way line with his shirt over his head.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Charlie Richmond was a shocker. Dunno if he was genuinely **** all the time, or just to us but he was horrendous!!

To be fair, I reckon most leagues, including far wealthier than ours have the same issue. Players don't exactly play fair where there's an advantage to be gained

It's always easier to blame officials. Steve Clarke prime example went ape at them. Yet his club have benefitted from some baffling calls all season then claims to not see them or it "evens out"

Tom Hart RIP
22-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Rowbotham sent Yogi off at Tynecastle for nothing. I saw incident close up and he wasn’t looking but responded to hearts players protesting.
Then he didn’t sent a Gazza off at Ibrox for a Ziddane type headbut on Aberdeen player. The following week he was given a Civil Service Strollers game in Muirhouse.
Worst ever was Bobby Davidson though

Alfiembra
22-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Arrrrgh I thought I'd never hear that name again I'll need counselling again now. :confused:

JimBHibees
22-10-2018, 11:56 AM

Is that serious?

allezsauzee
22-10-2018, 11:59 AM
At the moment , Kevin Clancy is the worst of the top division refs. I don't think I've ever seen him being remotely competent. I would say that Steven McLean is normally head and shoulders above the rest but I thought he was weak in the cup against the hatchet men

overdrive
22-10-2018, 12:16 PM
At the moment , Kevin Clancy is the worst of the top division refs. I don't think I've ever seen him being remotely competent. I would say that Steven McLean is normally head and shoulders above the rest but I thought he was weak in the cup against the hatchet men

McLean has been garbage ever since we started getting him again once his brother left us.

Smartie
22-10-2018, 12:31 PM
McLean is generally a good ref, but is very lenient when it comes to punishing clogging.

This would be good if we were planning on booting a far superior team off the park, but we've had him twice against Aberdeen at home which is the nightmare scenario.

I normally like an unfussy ref who allows a physical game to flow, but you need to clamp down on the outright thuggery that the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts bring, and McLean doesn't do that.

Up The Bracket
22-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Controversial but I’d say Craig Thomson is the best in the league currently, since that cup final he’s actually been alright in our games largely.

Worst has to be John Beaton, complete tool who can’t control matches.

JimBHibees
22-10-2018, 01:51 PM
McLean is generally a good ref, but is very lenient when it comes to punishing clogging.

This would be good if we were planning on booting a far superior team off the park, but we've had him twice against Aberdeen at home which is the nightmare scenario.

I normally like an unfussy ref who allows a physical game to flow, but you need to clamp down on the outright thuggery that the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts bring, and McLean doesn't do that.

Agree totally and IMO too many refs let kicking teams get away with too much. It seems like depending on the teams some players get away with clear yellows which only means they get another chance to boot someone. If that was controlled more then the league would be much more watchable. Far too may clogging teams in the league IMO.

Actually think Bobby Madden is the best though he too can be a bit slow in producing cards though you get the impression he does understand the game unlike some obvious others such as Collum/Clancy etc.

Hermit Crab
22-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Don Roberston, our ref from Saturday. He is horrendous and has had much criticism this season from other teams as well. Look at the foul count on Saturday. Hibs 2 fouls won. Celtic 18 fouls won. Tell me he's not a homer.

HoboHarry
22-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Tell them you are a Sevco fan and they'll dismiss the fine on appeal......

Fuzzywuzzy
22-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, anyone any idea what happened to the Patrick ref and linesman? Did Patrick ever get an apology or was it officially given 'move along, nothing to see here'

CMurdoch
22-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Controversial but I’d say Craig Thomson is the best in the league currently, since that cup final he’s actually been alright in our games largely.

Worst has to be John Beaton, complete tool who can’t control matches.

I think John Beaton is the worst at the moment.
Seems a decent guy but just gets too many things wrong.

Argylehibby
22-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Rowbotham sent Yogi off at Tynecastle for nothing. I saw incident close up and he wasn’t looking but responded to hearts players protesting.
Then he didn’t sent a Gazza off at Ibrox for a Ziddane type headbut on Aberdeen player. The following week he was given a Civil Service Strollers game in Muirhouse.

Rowbotham was advised by the lineman who was at the other end of the pitch to send him off. His offence was to ruffle some Frenchmans hair after we had scored and the guy rolled about as if he's been punched.

basehibby
22-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Think thats Alan Freeland for the Falkirk riot. He was hopeless that day and on many other occasions (eg Killie away last game of same season).

Louis Thow was horrendous in the late 80s early 90s. Craig Thomson obviously, but still think he was bought by Romanov.

Freeland was I think the worst I've ever experienced. He had the ability to totally spoil a game of football for both sets of fans regardless of the result - utterly infuriating idiot who should never have been in charge of a football match.

Others have I suspect been infuriatingly biased and/or cowardly or inconsistent but at least there have been portions of the game which were watchable.

StevieT
22-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Is that serious?

Yes it's serious. You can check the SFA disciplinary pages if you like. My comments related to the Patrick v Morton game. I was cited by the compliance officer and got a £150 fine

dchibs
22-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Always thought that callum Murray was quite a good ref.

Smartie
22-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Yes it's serious. You can check the SFA disciplinary pages if you like. My comments related to the Patrick v Morton game. I was cited by the compliance officer and got a £150 fine

I had a look at the SFA disciplinary pages and saw a citation and fine for a "Steve Turnbull referee" and saw the blurb next to it.

Where were the comments posted, and were they obviously your own?

It's a pretty sorry state of affairs if you've been fined a significant sum of money for criticising one of the worst decisions ever made in this country.

StevieT
22-10-2018, 06:27 PM
I had a look at the SFA disciplinary pages and saw a citation and fine for a "Steve Turnbull referee" and saw the blurb next to it.

Where were the comments posted, and were they obviously your own?

It's a pretty sorry state of affairs if you've been fined a significant sum of money for criticising one of the worst decisions ever made in this country.

Posted on social media and yes they were my own. I know I was in the wrong but you would think there may be more important things to address.

JimBHibees
22-10-2018, 06:32 PM

That is incredibly petty. Shocking to be honest.

Skol
22-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Charlie Richmond was the worst ref IMO...We seemed to get him every second home game for a while.

bigwheel
22-10-2018, 08:05 PM
Charlie Richmond was the worst ref IMO...We seemed to get him every second home game for a while.

With you on that. Not corrupt or anything. Just incompetent..

Skol
22-10-2018, 08:11 PM

I remember one game against Motherwell where some of his decisions either way were just bizarre. As you say incompetent.

PatHead
22-10-2018, 08:47 PM

Celtic supporters I know loved Rowbottom as they said they were guaranteed a penalty when ever he refereed.

JimBHibees
22-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Not so sure his sending off of booze after he was barged by fat Boyd takes some explaining.

H18 SFR
22-10-2018, 08:56 PM
That is incredibly petty. Shocking to be honest.

What on earth did they do this for? What did you say?

ancient hibee
22-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Charles Faultless.Maybe it’s longer ago than I realise:greengrin

StevieT
23-10-2018, 12:43 PM
What on earth did they do this for? What did you say?

Criticised the standard of refereeing