PDA

View Full Version : £40 Million Pound McGinn?

Famous Fiver
20-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Some Aston Villa supporters speculating that if Villa turned down a reported £40 million bid from Spurs for Grealish in the summer, McGinn is the one they should now be looking at with that sort of price tag.

Had another outstanding game today apparently but picked up his 5th booking, so is out for their next match against Norwich.

Tin hat on,but we could have done with him today.

I'll just have to get over it.

Shrekko
20-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Obviously we miss him but pointless even thinking about it.

Talksport commentator finished his match report today by singling SJM out and said “once again, outstanding”.

He doesn’t have Grealish’s reputation yet but I doubt Villa would consider any less than £20 million for McGinn. Crazy but true I think.

Keith_M
20-10-2018, 07:57 PM
No Tin Hat necessary, he would have made a world of difference.

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Better players than McGinn moved for much less than that this summer. Not yet.

Montford
20-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Do we have a sell on clause??

DetroitHibs
20-10-2018, 08:11 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather keep players like McGinn for the remaining 12 months, than take a pittance of what they are worth.

Tornadoes70
20-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Apparently SJM was outstanding against Swansea and an absolute 'steal' at three million according to Villa fans on their website. Good to see young John continuing to shine. Can't be too long before Premiership scouts are travelling in numbers to Villa Park to evaluate him.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Billy Whizz
20-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Think we do. Probably get more for him if he’s sold, than we sold him for

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2018, 08:19 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather keep players like McGinn for the remaining 12 months, than take a pittance of what they are worth.

I'd rather we gave them new contracts after a year or 2

neil7908
20-10-2018, 08:21 PM

I'm not sure. SJM for 12 months or Kamberi, Mallan, Milligan all permanent, with McLaren on loan with a deal to buy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-10-2018, 08:22 PM
One good thing about SJM not being at Celtc Park today was that he wasn't playing for them.

JimboHibs
20-10-2018, 08:25 PM
One good thing about SJM not being at Celtc Park today was that he wasn't playing for them.

No **** Sherlock

Tornadoes70
20-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Exactly. He could have gone to them for even less however they decided to haggle themselves out of signing an outstanding young player. Delighted he went down south to prove himself on a bigger stage.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

DetroitHibs
20-10-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure. SJM for 12 months or Kamberi, Mallan, Milligan all permanent, with McLaren on loan with a deal to buy.

Adding up the season ticket sales that apparently is for strengthening the squad, we should have covered all that and McGinn for the remainder of his contract.

We paid £100,000 for Kamberi undisclosed for Mallon. Wages for those players at say £4000 a week is under a million quid. Season ticket sales covers that two times over.

Keith_M
20-10-2018, 08:46 PM
I really hope we got a decent sell on clause.

hibbysam
20-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Adding up the season ticket sales that apparently is for strengthening the squad, we should have covered all that and McGinn for the remainder of his contract.

We paid £100,000 for Kamberi undisclosed for Mallon. Wages for those players at say £4000 a week is under a million quid. Season ticket sales covers that two times over.

We just ignoring the rest of the club that need money spent on it?

neil7908
20-10-2018, 08:53 PM

I just don't think we can ignore the impact £3m (or whatever we got for John) can do for us. If it is doesn't help us sign those players it'll be ones in January or the summer. Or get us the improvements in the training complex.

SJM wouldn't have got us 1 or 3 points today IMO. We are not in a financial position to lose that much money for 9 months of football.

Players come and go, the club and fans need to focus on the future.

JimboHibs
20-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Is that all Kamberi cost 100k ? wow what a bargain did the club release the transfer fee,I must have missed that.

overdrive
20-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Is that all Kamberi cost 100k ? wow what a bargain did the club release the transfer fee,I must have missed that.

It was the sell-on clause quoted at the time when he signed on loan.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Guff.

DetroitHibs
20-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Guff.

What part is guff?

13,000 season tickets at say an average of £250 is well over £3 million quid. £3 million for McGinn, that's £6 million quid.

adhibs
20-10-2018, 10:15 PM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/florian-kamberi/profil/spieler/284020 lists it as £117k. I know it's not always the most reliable, but that seems too specific to be untrue.

Tug Wilson
20-10-2018, 10:16 PM
What part is guff?

13,000 season tickets at say an average of £250 is well over £3 million quid. £3 million for McGinn, that's £6 million quid.

You seem to ignore that we have a whole squad to fund from that. Indeed a whole club.

Also, we could not afford Mark Milligan prior to John McGinn left so I imagine that we spent a bit of wedge on upping our offer to him.

McGinn is gone. We have replaced our midfield well. We will have plans to boost the squad come January. Just move on.

And if we have been smart enough to get a sell on clause for Super then we might get another few million if he moves to the Premier League.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2018, 10:49 PM
What part is guff?

Arf! We are paying a huge payroll of staff. Top to bottom. Overheads everywhere. You’ve pointed to two signings and we’ve made more than that. How many players and coaching staff, groundsmen, bus drivers, cleaners, cooks and kit folks do you think we pay in the course of a season? Who pays the bills? Have a wee look at that famed list of creditors that the Sparryheids shafted back in 2013 for some guidelines.

Is that city of yours bust yet mate?

Montford
20-10-2018, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;5581610]Arf! We are paying a huge payroll of staff. Top to bottom. Overheads everywhere. You’ve pointed to two signings and we’ve made more than that. How many players and coaching staff, groundsmen, bus drivers, cleaners, cooks and kit folks do you think we pay in the course of a season? Who pays the bills? Have a wee look at that famed list of creditors that the Sparryheids shafted back in 2013 for some guidelines.

Think in the annual report it said the club was delighted to get wage bill under 57% of turnover for first time
This as a result of highest turnover for many years, since 2007 I think

stoneyburn hibs
20-10-2018, 11:16 PM
We'll definitely make serious money from his next move. SJM will captain an EPL side.

Deansy
20-10-2018, 11:16 PM

Hope so - highly likely our cut will far exceed what we sold him to Villa for !

SChibs
20-10-2018, 11:26 PM
My jambo mate went to the villa game today. When i asked how mcginn was he said it sickened him to say that he was actually man of the match.

Austinho
21-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Don’t know if I want to see Villa get promoted or stay down. On the one hand, promotion would probably see us get bonuses, and McGinn would go from strength to strength. More likely that Villa would be able to hold onto him. On the other hand, if they don’t get promoted, he’d be more likely to be the subject of bids from PL clubs and for us to get a sell on clause.

What would be the best scenario for Hibs?

CMurdoch
21-10-2018, 12:26 AM
You seem to ignore that we have a whole squad to fund from that. Indeed a whole club.

Also, we could not afford Mark Milligan prior to John McGinn left so I imagine that we spent a bit of wedge on upping our offer to him.

McGinn is gone. We have replaced our midfield well. We will have plans to boost the squad come January. Just move on.

And if we have been smart enough to get a sell on clause for Super then we might get another few million if he moves to the Premier League.

Agreed, Milligan is a high quality player who we will have spent a good wedge on for a signing on fee and wages.
He has filled a massive hole in our team and looks like he will give us 2 wonderful years of service.
We did well having McGinn for as long as we did and his transfer fee will have paid for this seasons rejig, next seasons and the season after that.
I believe this season is only part 1 of the rebuild and next season it will be completed and we will be stronger than our team from the second half of last season.
Good times.

renato
21-10-2018, 06:28 AM
Don’t know if I want to see Villa get promoted or stay down. On the one hand, promotion would probably see us get bonuses, and McGinn would go from strength to strength. More likely that Villa would be able to hold onto him. On the other hand, if they don’t get promoted, he’d be more likely to be the subject of bids from PL clubs and for us to get a sell on clause.

Suspect it’ll be a sell on that nets us more money. Rumour was a £1m add on if Villa get promoted but there’s not a hope in hell we wouldn’t have insisted on a sell on clause, of which I suspect it’ll be closer to 20% than 10%....which will result in probably our highest ever fee for a player.

Not only is the lad a legend, he’s destined for the top and will help us sign some quality players in future.

Smartie
21-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Promotion, getting the bonuses associated with that then having him strut his stuff on a bigger stage.

As a performing midfielder in the premier league, the type of move he might attract would be crazy.

I suspect, as before, he'd want to see Villa, is and St Mirren profit too.

Jdawg
21-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Promotion, getting the bonuses associated with that then having him strut his stuff on a bigger stage.

As a performing midfielder in the premier league, the type of move he might attract would be crazy.

I suspect, as before, he'd want to see Villa, is and St Mirren profit too.

Surely St Mirren won’t get a fee if he is sold? Or can you still get one two sales down the line?

Juniper Greens
21-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Surely St Mirren won’t get a fee if he is sold? Or can you still get one two sales down the line?

You get one as long as the next team has put future clauses in.

lucky
21-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Villa are huge club. They’ve apparently got money now and if they get promoted SJM will be at club hoping to break into the top 6. I doubt he’ll get a bigger club than Villa.

random sub
21-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Villa are huge club. They’ve apparently got money now and if they get promoted SJM will be at club hoping to break into the top 6. I doubt he’ll get a bigger club than Villa.

How long is he under contract at Villa for?

Might be a while before he moves anywhere.

DstN75
21-10-2018, 04:38 PM

Playoffs then a starring role in the semi and final in a losing cause? Lots of tv coverage and column inches, Villa stay down but a load of mid to high-table Prem sides start a bidding war...

Here’s Lucy!
21-10-2018, 05:13 PM
How long is he under contract at Villa for?

Might be a while before he moves anywhere.

Was it not a 2 year contract?

Michael
21-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Was it not a 2 year contract?

4 years.

Famous Fiver
21-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Someone suggested they just give him Player of the Season now with seven months still to go.

Another suggests that even if Villa are not in the Premier League next year SJM will be.

If there is a sell on clause as reported bring it on.

AgentDaleCooper
21-10-2018, 08:04 PM
I'd rather they go up, we get our bonus from that, then he shines next season and gets signed for big bucks in summer 2020.

Billy Whizz
21-10-2018, 08:21 PM
I'd rather they go up, we get our bonus from that, then he shines next season and gets signed for big bucks in summer 2020.

Me too

Onceinawhile
21-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Villa go up, we get more cash, then they go down and he moves on for big bucks.

jacomo
21-10-2018, 09:00 PM
I don’t believe for a second that Spurs offered £40m for Graliesh or anything like it.

Therefore, this speculative valuation of SJM based on a highly dubious valuation seems a bit silly to me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-10-2018, 09:23 PM
No **** Sherlock

Read the post after yours and then grow up?

hibby6270
21-10-2018, 10:25 PM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/florian-kamberi/profil/spieler/284020 lists it as £117k. I know it's not always the most reliable, but that seems too specific to be untrue.

Just a thought.
The £117K amount is possibly a conversion from what was paid in Swiss Francs? It was after all a Swiss club we paid the money to. If that was the case it would equate to (given rate fluctuations) CHF150K which is a more ‘rounded’ and ‘sensible’ figure.