PDA

View Full Version : Hibs.net on social media

matty_f
17-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Did you know you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter - handy for getting updates on issues with the site etc.

Twitter: @hibsnet
Facebook: fb.me/officialhibsnet

Diclonius
17-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Have you ever thought of making a Facebook group too? The current Hibs ones on there have almost no quality control and are pretty grim reading tbh.

Austinho
17-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Have you ever thought of making a Facebook group too? The current Hibs ones on there have almost no quality control and are pretty grim reading tbh.That’s actually not a bad idea you know.

matty_f
17-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Have you ever thought of making a Facebook group too? The current Hibs ones on there have almost no quality control and are pretty grim reading tbh.

Something to consider, although ideally we'd want to see conversation on here than on Facebook - less to moderate as well!

Austinho
17-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Something to consider, although ideally we'd want to see conversation on here than on Facebook - less to moderate as well!And you’ve swiftly swung my opinion around again!

Think a few changes to the site would keep conversations (and users) here - the ability to embed images, links and videos without having to be some kind of coder would make a big difference.

matty_f
17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
And you’ve swiftly swung my opinion around again!

Think a few changes to the site would keep conversations (and users) here - the ability to embed images, links and videos without having to be some kind of coder would make a big difference.

That's a good shout as well. :agree:

calumhibee1
17-10-2018, 10:39 AM
And you’ve swiftly swung my opinion around again!

Somethings that’s always been a bug bear of mine, attaching images, gifs etc is out of my comfort zone on here yet easy enough everywhere else. Not that it’s a big deal mind :greengrin

matty_f
17-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Somethings that’s always been a bug bear of mine, attaching images, gifs etc is out of my comfort zone on here yet easy enough everywhere else. Not that it’s a big deal mind :greengrin

I think this site benefits from a lack of gifs and images, you see the nick of some of the threads on other sites and it's like folk have completely lost the ability to communicate.

Also, I have no idea how to do it either, so....

Lemonade
17-10-2018, 02:11 PM
The Hibs pages on Facebook are shockingly bad.

Hiber-nation
17-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Auld Hibs is the exception.

cleanyman
17-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Facebook is a cancer

I've deleted it after a full ten years of having it

Dashing Bob S
17-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Facebook is a cancer

Did the same. Have felt probably 25% better about life in general since. Relationships with real people in my life and world in general massively improved. Instantly resented the years I spent on it. Such a shocking waste of a huge chunk of my finite, precious existence on this planet.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Facebook is a cancer

Done similar years ago and my life was instantly enriched.

CallumLaidlaw
17-10-2018, 04:26 PM

I help admin one and it’s almost impossible to quality control in fairness. We can accept or reject new posts, but as long as it’s Hibs related it tends to get accepted. The comments are even harder to monitor. Problem with Facebook is there’s even more young kids than there is on here. Hibspage has nearly 10k members so I almost turn my phone off after a bad defeat. Although I tend to avoid the main board on here after a defeat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
17-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Facebook is a cancer

its not really, i have friends and family that live abroad and its good to see what they are up to and how kids etc are getting on

calumhibee1
17-10-2018, 05:59 PM
I think this site benefits from a lack of gifs and images, you see the nick of some of the threads on other sites and it's like folk have completely lost the ability to communicate.

Also, I have no idea how to do it either, so....

That's true. :agree:

Callum7
17-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Have you thought of making an instagram?

matty_f
17-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Have you thought of making an instagram?

I'm not sure what we'd get from it, in all honesty. Probably just me being an old fart though. :greengrin

Callum7
17-10-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure what we'd get from it, in all honesty. Probably just me being an old fart though. :greengrin

I use Instagram a lot more than twitter and I never use Facebook. Maybe that’s just me though. :)

matty_f
17-10-2018, 06:17 PM
I use Instagram a lot more than twitter and I never use Facebook. Maybe that’s just me though. :)

The correct order is :
Hibs.net (best, obviously)
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook

:greengrin

Gloucester Hibs
17-10-2018, 06:31 PM
its not really, i have friends and family that live abroad and its good to see what they are up to and how kids etc are getting on

This is probably the only reason I’m still on Facebook. Since my family and I moved down south a couple of years ago it’s been a valuable tool for keeping family members up to date on goings on, and vice versa. Would use another form of social media but Facebook has the biggest reach (for us anyway).

cleanyman
17-10-2018, 06:39 PM

It's time wasted and conversation reduced to data.

Hopefully more folk in their 20s follow suit because it's killing us

Allant1981
17-10-2018, 07:11 PM

thats your opinion, i find it very handy

Tinribs
17-10-2018, 07:13 PM

I only use Facebook for the car groups, and only under duress.
Facebook groups have effectively killed most of the traditional owners club forums, which is a real shame.
Admins, bear this in mind if you open a Facebook group..

matty_f
17-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Facebook groups have effectively killed most of the traditional owners club forums, which is a real shame.

We've no plans to open a Facebook page, we love it right here!

Golden Bear
17-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Absolutely dire in fact.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2018, 07:32 PM

A few of us admins had a discussion about this recently.

I think the general consensus was we need to embrace social media more and maybe explore a few new media opportunities but ultimately the forum structure was our bread and butter and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Personally I'm aware that the forum model is somewhat alien to the 18-20 something generation. The 1 comment, no challenge, no explanation structure of Twitter etc seems to appeal more. I've always been philosophical about it though. We've had a better run than most, we've grown beyond what anyone could have expected (for better or worse) and for now we are still going strong. When it's over, it's over. That won't be for a while yet though.

Since90+2
17-10-2018, 07:42 PM
As someone who doesn't have Facebook I'd personally hope that the main discussions on Hibs.net remain on the forum rather than a social media platform. I think the setup is perfect now as it is.

Golden Bear
17-10-2018, 07:44 PM

I think the general consensus was we need to embrace social media more and maybe explore a few new media opportunities but ultimately the forum structure was our bread and butter and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Personally I'm aware that the forum model is somewhat alien to the 18-20 something generation. The 1 comment, no challenge, no explanation structure of Twitter etc seems to appeal more. I've always been philosophical about it though. We've had a better run than most, we've grown beyond what anyone could have expected (for better or worse) and for now we are still going strong. When it's over, it's over. That won't be for a while yet though.

Glad to hear that PB.

O'Rourke3
17-10-2018, 08:57 PM
A Facebook page would out a lot of posters and deny anomimity. Be a lot more bother in the stands [emoji23] or major over politeness

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Tinribs
17-10-2018, 10:12 PM

The one thing I would say is that it's easier to monetise on FB, but that's not really the be all and end all.
Personally I love this place, and I suspect the vast majority might agree.
Maybe a hibs.net app might appeal to some, but that would cost serious dosh I think.