PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland 1-0 Kyle Lafferty

Hibeesmad
16-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Kyle Lafferty pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad the night before they were due to meet up for their Nations League fixtures. Therefore Northern Ireland have invoked a FIFA five day rule which means Kyle Lafferty wont be able to play for The Rangers this weekend. :na na:

ballengeich
16-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Can't blame him. I've got better things to do on Sunday than travel to Hamilton.

Sir David Gray
16-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Although it's funny because it's affecting them, I think the rule itself is harsh.

Surely it's up to the player and his club to decide when he's fit? Since the club pays the wages, if they don't think he's fit to play for the international side then it's surely possible that he may be fit enough to play for his club a week later?

I wouldn't be chuffed if this happened to a Hibs player.

HTD1875
16-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Although it's funny because it's affecting them, I think the rule itself is harsh.

Surely it's up to the player and his club to decide when he's fit? Since the club pays the wages, if they don't think he's fit to play for the international side then it's surely possible that he may be fit enough to play for his club a week later?

I wouldn't be chuffed if this happened to a Hibs player.

Couldn’t of happened to a better team get it right up them.

MSK
17-10-2018, 05:16 AM

I wouldn't be chuffed if this happened to a Hibs player.Then again, maybe if it happened more often then it may eventually reverse the trend of players picking and choosing which games they play. In days gone by players seen a cap as an honour, nowadays a lot of them couldnt give a ****.

calumhibee1
17-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Then again, maybe if it happened more often then it may eventually reverse the trend of players picking and choosing which games they play. In days gone by players seen a cap as an honour, nowadays a lot of them couldnt give a ****.

In years gone by fans cared about the national team aswell. Generally speaking, nobody cares about international football anymore - players, managers or fans.

CentreLine
17-10-2018, 07:14 AM
In years gone by fans cared about the national team aswell. Generally speaking, nobody cares about international football anymore - players, managers or fans.

I think that view is only true in countries where we are not doing so well internationally. Even just taking those close to us, Irish, welsh and English fans turn out in numbers. Northern Irish and Scots, well you see where I’m going with this. Just take a look at the difference in attitude of, not just English fans but also the English press, at the last World Cup. Try suggesting French, Spanish, German, Icelandic even, fans don’t give a toss. But Italians are a bit muted right now for the same reason as we are. So it’s only where international teams are failing there is a disinterest in international football and if we only look inwardly, we see what we want to see. That applies domestically as well. Only three years ago we were lucky to get 8000 at ER for a game.
If, hopefully when, Scotland put a team together that can qualify and compete then the fans will flock back. Everyone will care just as they do in all of the countries that have success.
Our problem is that we have not cared to encourage our international team since the days of Ally McLeod. Ever since then we have run ourselves down and called it “realistic”.
Time to get the swagger back, or as John McGinn says in today’s papers, “puff up the shoulders”. I think he meant puff out their chests but the sentiment was there.

where'stheslope
17-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Kyle Lafferty pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad the night before they were due to meet up for their Nations League fixtures. Therefore Northern Ireland have invoked a FIFA five day rule which means Kyle Lafferty wont be able to play for The Rangers this weekend. :na na:

Wonder if Scotland could do the same with Griffiths?

Pulled out to work on fitness, that says he's unfit????

B.H.F.C
17-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Wonder if Scotland could do the same with Griffiths?

Pulled out to work on fitness, that says he's unfit????

The SFA would never have the balls to do that to an Old Firm player.

How may times over the years have they had players pull out of squads (usually for friendlies) then play for the ugly two 3 or 4 days later.

Ozyhibby
17-10-2018, 07:47 AM
There is plenty interest in the national team even though it’s failing badly again. I do think the number of international fixtures is too many these days as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
17-10-2018, 08:11 AM
The SFA would never have the balls to do that to an Old Firm player.

How may times over the years have they had players pull out of squads (usually for friendlies) then play for the ugly two 3 or 4 days later.

It's a fantastic rule but the SFA will never employ it.

A great example was a few years ago when around 8 or 9 OF players pulled out "injured" for a Scotland game but were all expected to be fit for the OF derby just days later.

Steve20
17-10-2018, 08:18 AM
It's a terrible rule. Club pays his wages and the player and his club should decide if he's allowed to do his job on Sunday. If the national team are that upset about a player doing it, then don't pick him again.

As it's Kyle Lafferty, glad it's happened.

calumhibee1
17-10-2018, 08:21 AM
I think that view is only true in countries where we are not doing so well internationally. Even just taking those close to us, Irish, welsh and English fans turn out in numbers. Northern Irish and Scots, well you see where I’m going with this. Just take a look at the difference in attitude of, not just English fans but also the English press, at the last World Cup. Try suggesting French, Spanish, German, Icelandic even, fans don’t give a toss. But Italians are a bit muted right now for the same reason as we are. So it’s only where international teams are failing there is a disinterest in international football and if we only look inwardly, we see what we want to see. That applies domestically as well. Only three years ago we were lucky to get 8000 at ER for a game.
If, hopefully when, Scotland put a team together that can qualify and compete then the fans will flock back. Everyone will care just as they do in all of the countries that have success.
Our problem is that we have not cared to encourage our international team since the days of Ally McLeod. Ever since then we have run ourselves down and called it “realistic”.
Time to get the swagger back, or as John McGinn says in today’s papers, “puff up the shoulders”. I think he meant puff out their chests but the sentiment was there.

True!

JimBHibees
17-10-2018, 08:21 AM
It's a fantastic rule but the SFA will never employ it.

A great example was a few years ago when around 8 or 9 OF players pulled out "injured" for a Scotland game but were all expected to be fit for the OF derby just days later.

Griffiths should probably be getting the same. As you said would never happen to an Of player. Prime example being the loss to Georgia when in with a great chance of qualifying under previous Mcleish management unfortunately was an OF Derby the weekend after and a few players couldn't make the trip then miraculously recovered. Also think mcculloch got himself booked so he would miss the game.

Apparently Lafferty phoned ONeill at midnight on the Sunday how classy.

Jack Hackett
17-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Agreed. I spent the first 2 weeks of the WC on the Costa del Sol, and the interest from most of the nationalities also there on holiday whose teams were involved was very high. Bars were packed and the atmosphere was excellent. I was gutted not to be involved at the same level as them

hibbysam
17-10-2018, 09:30 AM
It's a terrible rule. Club pays his wages and the player and his club should decide if he's allowed to do his job on Sunday. If the national team are that upset about a player doing it, then don't pick him again.

As it's Kyle Lafferty, glad it's happened.

The rule is there to stop players mugging off their international team. If the player isn’t interested in playing they should retire from international duty. Fairly simple. Lafferty is only a household name due to his Northern Ireland exploits.

The rule shouldn’t be optional, it should be invoked every single time a player pulls out, whether the national side want it or not.

SirDavidsNapper
23-10-2018, 05:47 AM
I see he's been caught sending nudes to a young lass a couple of weeks after becoming a dad. Classy piece of work is Kyle.

Keith_M
23-10-2018, 05:55 PM
I see he's been caught sending nudes to a young lass a couple of weeks after becoming a dad. Classy piece of work is Kyle.

Not meaning to contradict you in any way but I thought it best to point out that the young lass is 22.

I'm not excusing his behaviour, it's just in case somebody misinterprets your post.

:aok:

Famous Fiver
23-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Must be moving on from his self confessed gambling issues, then.

Without knowing too much about him it appears he has got issues.

barcahibs
23-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Ridiculous that a third party organisation is able to stop a guy going to his work and doing his job. International football is a joke and long past time the national federations had their wings clipped IMO. They need to be careful, if they wanted to the big clubs could already tell the National Associations where to go (they already do in Scotland) and that trend is only going to, rightly, continue.

But, on the upside, in this case it's happening to the huns so a fair rule rightly enforced.

hibbysam
23-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Ridiculous that a third party organisation is able to stop a guy going to his work and doing his job. International football is a joke and long past time the national federations had their wings clipped IMO. They need to be careful, if they wanted to the big clubs could already tell the National Associations where to go (they already do in Scotland) and that trend is only going to, rightly, continue.

But, on the upside, in this case it's happening to the huns so a fair rule rightly enforced.

That’s nonsense. FIFA protecting its product from being even less interesting for players’ clubs as it already is. If players don’t want to play then they can retire from international football, fairly simple. If they do want to play and they are fit then they should turn up.

Famous Fiver
23-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Interesting situation developing.

FIFA want a new style World Club championship, UEFA totally against it.

Paul1642
23-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Interesting situation developing.

FIFA want a new style World Club championship, UEFA totally against it.

Club world cup

I'm Spartacus
24-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Surprised this thread hasn't developed, Hun, ex-Yam, now Hun again and we let it slip by? Come on .net!!!!!

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2018, 12:52 PM
I am sure I read somewhere last week that Laugherty had his Norwich Championship Play Off badge 2015 on eBay for £350-£400 He surely Cannae be that desperate I think I would rather have the medal

Counter claim by Laugherty flatly denying the allegation to outraged Norwich City fans

A lot of outrage on these threads