PDA

View Full Version : Converting fans of other clubs to the Hibees

madhibby
16-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Was on the Jambo’s site to see if they had anything about Scotland U21 match tonight - maybe criticising likely Hibee selections like Ryan Porteous.

Anyways couldn’t find anything but they did have an interesting thread on fans they have managed to convert to support them. ( allegedly a fair few were previous Hibees)

Any Hibs fans converted fans of other clubs/neutrals to the Hibs?

I assume the best way to get somebody to become a Hibee is to ensure their first games as a youngster are seeing the Hibs. I do remember a good while ago taking a younger lad that me to see the Hibs (I was maybe 15 at the time) when he hadn’t been to any football matches and was unsure between Hibs and Hearts. He did become a regular at Easter Road. It was the Turnbull Tornadoes side so there wasnt really much of a decision to be made if you wanted to see free flowing attacking football!?

JXM73
16-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Does converting myself count?

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 02:54 PM
I used to be a Jambo but I’m all right now

Did Yamback list names and addresses of these defectors to the Dark Side? 😂

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-10-2018, 02:56 PM
A guy I used to work beside at Meadowbank House changed from Hearts to Hibs, couldn't get my head round it, he went whole hog though, so fair play I suppose! 😜

surreyhibbie
16-10-2018, 03:02 PM
many years ago I had a young cousin who had been taken to Hunbrox with an uncle. The uncle stopped going and my cousin missed his football so asked if I could take him to ER with the Musselburgh Hibs bus.

soon got hooked, he has been a Season Ticket holder for years now, and so have his two daughters !

Mission accomplished :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-10-2018, 03:15 PM
I managed to persuade my bro to change from Arsenal to The Hammers when he was a youngster, he got a bit starry eyed when he met Cass Pennant outside Upton Park whilst going through his (not Cass') CCS phase! 🔨

EH54
16-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Back at school I managed to get a jambo, a bun, and a Celtic fan all to get season tickets. All still hibby's to this day!

thorbs
16-10-2018, 04:22 PM
I supported Rangers when I was a kid. Was more into Rugby as I got older then started going to ER with my dad who has always been a Hibee and now have season tickets. My laddie has got his first Hibs kit already and he's only 1, not going to let the same thing happen to him :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
16-10-2018, 04:34 PM
I know of a guy that grew up a Jambo and became a Hibs fan after we won the cup in 1991. He still goes to most games home and away.

hibeg
16-10-2018, 04:36 PM
My mates girlfriends 12 year old grandson was a Dundee season ticket holder

His first Hibs game was last seasons Youth Cup Final and was overwhelmed by the drummer and singers

He told his gran after the game he wanted to be a Hibee, much to my mates delight

He now has a season ticket beside the rest of us in FF upper and is honestly fanatical. He loves the singing and says the footballs like watching Brazil compared to his old team :greengrin

green day
16-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Good friend of mine when I was wee was a Hibby at primary school, big bunch of us used to go to matches.

Changed to Hearts in 2nd year at high school, it was a religious thing - remember him saying "I am a protestant, dont know why I ever supported Hibs".

Fanny

offshorehibby
16-10-2018, 04:49 PM
I can imagine as a kid you might chop and change your team but I, personalty could not imagine changing teams, even if we were in the Lowland league.

Bostonhibby
16-10-2018, 05:23 PM
My cousin was a fan of the now defunct Glasgow rangers, only hun in our family, he lives in Edinburgh and when two of his daughters wanted to go to football he said straight away he didn't want them involved in all the sectarian hate stuff so takes them to ER. He's not been to a sevco game for quite a few years now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
16-10-2018, 07:12 PM
I wouldn’t say converted, but I introduced one of my football enthusiast Irish brother in laws to the joys of Hibs. Been over for three games - two at Easter Road and one away game at Fir Park and he’s hoping we have a game when he’s next over. Bought a few items from club shop and keeps up to date with all the news, and was particularly pleased when we signed Daryl Horgan who comes from his home town of Galway.

G B Young
16-10-2018, 07:13 PM
I knew a hun who switched to the yams (not much of a leap I know) during the 85/86 season so that was quite amusing when his 'loyalty' was rewarded at the end of the season.

I'd imagine that more common than actually converting somebody who supports another team to supporting Hibs is 'adding' Hibs to the team they already support. Obviously that's not likely to happen often with somebody who already supports another Scottish team, but I have taken numerous friends and colleagues to Hibs games down the years and many have developed a genuine interest in the club as a result. Most of them have been English but there have been a couple of French guys, Irish, Aussies and Americans among them and it's great to get texts or emails from people like that when Hibs have a good result.

JimboHibs
16-10-2018, 07:21 PM
A guy I used to work beside at Meadowbank House changed from Hearts to Hibs, couldn't get my head round it, he went whole hog though, so fair play I suppose! 😜

A guy who is now a mate also went from Hearts to Hibs,never fully trusted him in doing it😂,said it never felt right being a Jambo & never enjoyed going to Tynecastle was more to do with area he was brought up as a child never got the option it was just said you support Hearts n that was that.Full blown Hibby for over 20 years now & absolutely detest the tramps.

monarch
16-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Off subject slightly but the following were all Hearts supporters prior to playing for the Hibees but became true legendary Hibs supporters :-
Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Tommy Preston, Davie Gibson, Alan Gordon. Also I would hazard a guess that Sir David Gray will now be a true hibby.

Another piece of historical interest/trivia is that Willie McCartney, the manager that assembled the Famous Five ( the players, not the stand :greengrin) was manager of Hearts for 16 years prior to taking over at ER.

Austinho
16-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Pat Nevin probably one of the highest profile turncoats in the country, making the obvious choice to drop the nonsense at Celtic and take his family to Easter Road. Used to see him in the old East Stand every week.

My dad moved up to Scotland when he was 6, chose Celtic very briefly before a classmate introduced him to Hibs instead. There’s a bloke out there somewhere unaware he’s responsible for create a whole Hibs new generation of Hibs daft family, myself included.

I have taken a few mates to games who’d only otherwise have a passing interest in football. I lived down south for a while, and have at least 10 mates who’d class Hibs as their Scottish team, look out for the results now and again, send me news clips with videos to Sunshine on Leith etc. Important to get the word out there!

tamsonsbairn
16-10-2018, 10:06 PM
When myself and my brother were kids i remember one xmas we got football strips as pressies, i got the Hibees top and my brother got a rangers top. our uncle sat us down and told us that our pocket money would stop, i got mine there and then and my brother decided all of a sudden he didn't want to be a hun supporter and happily got his pocket money, If i recall it was 2 bob each, not much by todays standard but then it was like the crown jewels. :nlgwa :aok:

cocteautwin
17-10-2018, 03:06 AM
The only adult I know who has changed sides is one of my best mates from Uni back in the '80s. He was a staunch Rangers supporter, framed Jock Wallace pictures in his house etc. When we left Uni he started going to see Hearts with another mate of mine as it gave him something to do with mates on Saturdays and didn't need to go to Glasgow and 30 years later he totally denies he was ever a Ranger fan (with a smirk). Even if I had tried to turn him to Hibs 30 years ago I think the exercise would have been pointless.

Ringothedog
17-10-2018, 06:25 AM
I know 2 guys who were Celtc supporters in their late teens, now both Hibs season ticket holders as are their kids

wpj
17-10-2018, 08:18 AM
I took the nephew of a Jambo pal to ER with his mum years ago, she is now a season ticket holder but he is a Jambo, I failed!
I have friends in Donegal who were Celtc by birth I guess in that part of the world but who now are more Hibs. My greatest achievement was converting a hun who to be fair was sick of bigotry and started to follow us. His brother sent him the orange strip which he put straight in the rubbish bin.

PatHead
17-10-2018, 08:37 AM
I know a guy who moved to Edinburgh a couple of years ago from Milton Keyes. Went to have a look at both us and them. Now both he and his wife are season ticket holders at Easter Road. They also attend a decent number of away games.

Scott Allan Key
17-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Off subject slightly but the following were all Hearts supporters prior to playing for the Hibees but became true legendary Hibs supporters :-
Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Tommy Preston, Davie Gibson, Alan Gordon. Also I would hazard a guess that Sir David Gray will now be a true hibby.

Another piece of historical interest/trivia is that Willie McCartney, the manager that assembled the Famous Five ( the players, not the stand :greengrin) was manager of Hearts for 16 years prior to taking over at ER.

Are Hibs the only club to be managed by Lennon and McCartney? Maybe teams in Ireland will also have done?

guidref
17-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I was born inDunfermline and stayed really close to East End Park so the start of myfootball fan journey was as a Pars fan.

My family moved to Prestonpans as my baby sister was very ill when she was bornand was in the Hospital in Edinburgh for over a year. My neighbour, who was thesame age as me and was my first friend when we moved, his dad had something todo with the Celtic supporters bus so I became a Celtic fan as I got on the busand into the games for free.
I startedplaying football pretty young and was not bad at it and I had the opportunityto become an S form signing with Hibs. I signed on the Monday night and Hibs wereplaying Juventus that week so that was my first game as part of the Hibs familyat Ester Road. From the moment I walked in the old wooden doors I was hookedand Hibs is now part of my DNA.

So I guess I ama true fan, I didn’t support because my dad (or other relative) told me too, Ididn’t support because it was the near my house, I supported because I wantedto, because I felt the magic, because I felt like I belonged

where'stheslope
17-10-2018, 04:26 PM
If you go back to the 60's and 70's, many Hibs fans would go to Tynecastle when Hibs were away and Hearts fans to Easter Road when Hearts were away!
Back then it was not easy to go to away games, hardly anyone had a car, and supporters buses usually sold out.
Remember you would occasionaly get supporters trains, they were like cattle trucks, but I remember going from Waverley to Starks Park Kirkcaldy and jumping off the train as it came into the station slowly, running over the tracks and climbing the fence to get in.
In these times many of the supporters would shift from 1 club to another but mostly just went with pals to see a game!!!!

BishopstonHibby
21-11-2018, 09:34 PM
I wouldn’t say converted, but I introduced one of my football enthusiast Irish brother in laws to the joys of Hibs. Been over for three games - two at Easter Road and one away game at Fir Park and he’s hoping we have a game when he’s next over. Bought a few items from club shop and keeps up to date with all the news, and was particularly pleased when we signed Daryl Horgan who comes from his home town of Galway.

I’m bringing up a group of friends from Bristol for the Dundee match on Saturday. What started out as a bit of a joke in March has now seen them become genuine Hibs fans – one even signing up to BT Sport just so he can watch Hibs matches.

A couple of them knew I was watching the St Johnstone game (the 1-1 draw when Marciano was sent off) and, whilst drinking in the pub, they started following the live text and messaging me about the game. They weren’t really football fans before but I think they were just intrigued by how much Hibs meant to me.

Since then, we’ve had a WhatApp group dedicated to Hibs chat and they’ve all become quite knowledgeable about the team, although for some reason Scott Allan has always been referred to as Brian! :dunno:

Quite often I’ll get a message with the starting eleven before I’ve seen it. And they don’t just comment on the games. E.g. “See Oli Shaw made his debut for Scotland under 21s last night”.

We had an evening watching Time For Heroes the other month and the club shop has seen some pretty good business from Bristol recently: home shirts, scarves, Hibs playing cards (!) and Hibs pint glasses. They’re very excited about going to Easter Road for the first time, although disappointed they won’t be seeing Brian play! One mate's been certain of the result for weeks now and who’s going to score. Hope he’s right!!

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Hard enough converting some Hibbies on here to Hibs!

Diclonius
21-11-2018, 09:44 PM
I was nominally a Celtic fan because of my Dad (had no interest in football) until 14ish, when I decided I liked football and chose Hibs as I was originally from Edinburgh. Never looked back since.

My Dad accompanied me to games and eventually did a complete U-turn and is a Hibs fan as well - this after a solid 30ish years of supporting Celtic. We've both been ST holders for 10+ years.

Itsnoteasy
22-11-2018, 12:59 AM
I know of a guy that grew up a Jambo and became a Hibs fan after we won the cup in 1991. He still goes to most games home and away.

Glory Hunter

CockneyRebel
22-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Glory Hunter

Oy

Alex Trager
22-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Does he still work there?

I work there now, interested to know who it is!

jacomo
22-11-2018, 12:32 PM
I’m bringing up a group of friends from Bristol for the Dundee match on Saturday. What started out as a bit of a joke in March has now seen them become genuine Hibs fans – one even signing up to BT Sport just so he can watch Hibs matches.

A couple of them knew I was watching the St Johnstone game (the 1-1 draw when Marciano was sent off) and, whilst drinking in the pub, they started following the live text and messaging me about the game. They weren’t really football fans before but I think they were just intrigued by how much Hibs meant to me.

Since then, we’ve had a WhatApp group dedicated to Hibs chat and they’ve all become quite knowledgeable about the team, although for some reason Scott Allan has always been referred to as Brian! :dunno:

Quite often I’ll get a message with the starting eleven before I’ve seen it. And they don’t just comment on the games. E.g. “See Oli Shaw made his debut for Scotland under 21s last night”.

We had an evening watching Time For Heroes the other month and the club shop has seen some pretty good business from Bristol recently: home shirts, scarves, Hibs playing cards (!) and Hibs pint glasses. They’re very excited about going to Easter Road for the first time, although disappointed they won’t be seeing Brian play! One mate's been certain of the result for weeks now and who’s going to score. Hope he’s right!!

This is truly excellent work.

I have brought a few friends and relatives from East Coast USA to games at ER. They have adopted Hibs as their soccer team in Scot-Land, but nowhere near this level of dedication.

I’d love Hibs to do an off season tour there though. New York, Jersey, Massachusetts etc all a rich hunting ground for new fans I think.

superfurryhibby
22-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Are Hibs the only club to be managed by Lennon and McCartney? Maybe teams in Ireland will also have done?

Quality observation:top marks

My ( half) brother converted from Hibs to Rangers at the start of the Souness era. The wee fud was about 12 and had been exposed to Hibs since he was very young. It was a dire period for the club and the step faither had a pal who went to Hunbox everygame. He offered to take the bro and of course converted him to dark side.

What made all this more bizarre was the fact that Step faither and bro were Catholics and the Hun bam was a rather notorious figure who was well known in the criminal underworld and had a liking for UVF and supplying them with “ goods”.

I tried all forms of “ persuasion” on my brother, didnae work. He was always a mixed up laddie anyway and still went fairly regularly to ER.

Inconsequential
22-11-2018, 02:18 PM
I converted myself from a St. Johnstone supporter to a Hibs supporter in 1972. I ain't no Saint, I'm a Hibee....:agree:

Stonewall
22-11-2018, 04:09 PM
The group I go with contains a Yeovil fan, a Wolves fan from Dudley and a converted Ayr fan

erin go bragh
22-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Born a Hibby and will die a Hibby . I was at primary school with a boy who was a Celtic fan but Switched to Hearts in his teens . Posts all sorts of Hearts pissh on FB . I’ve no outed him yet 😂

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2018, 01:40 AM
Not sure I've ever really converted anybody, but I did convert myself from Celtic ( who I had never been to see play ) to Hibs in 1975. But having said that since then I've been instrumental in ensuring that a whole bunch of folk have become match going Hibs fans and it always delights me to see my best pals wee brother who I took to his first Hibs games back in the 80s now taking his teenaged daughter to Easter Road regularly, which is a bit weird when I think back to making him hold my hand as we crossed London Road :greengrin

My stepson is a Jambo, but funnily enough that's my fault as well, I found out he was taking an interest in Celtic and I said 'look son you were born in Edinburgh, dinnae be an OF glory hunter' …. as kids do he took a contrary view to his auld man and chose Hearts ….. having said that he likes fitba in general and he has been to see Hibs with me far far more than he has ever been to Tynecastle :greengrin