PDA

View Full Version : Bars near Celtic Park

skankomcphee
15-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Been to Celtic Park before but never gone out drinking hard liquour before a match there. That may change on Saturday though, and wondering where to / where not to go near the ground. Thanks in advance.

SChibs
15-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Been to Celtic Park before but never gone out drinking hard liquour before a match there. That may change on Saturday though, and wondering where to / where not to go near the ground. Thanks in advance.

Last year my brother and I walked into a bar called the crimson star not realising it was a rangers bar. It's actually quite notorious for trouble so I think we got lucky we were only chased out

ian cruise
15-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Last year my brother and I walked into a bar called the crimson star not realising it was a rangers bar. It's actually quite notorious for trouble so I think we got lucky we were only chased out

Went in to use the facilities on the way to the Barras for a gig many years ago. Terrifying place. Red hands and balaclava wearing folk painted on the wall. Framed pictures of the queen, Andy Goram, etc. to.

Jackh
16-10-2018, 06:26 AM
We went to the Louden before the game in January. Very welcoming considering the reputation. As we were playing no one seemed to mind us.

Pretty Boy
16-10-2018, 07:47 AM
The Real McCoy on London Road is ok.

It will be busy and it's sometimes home fans only but if you keep yourself to yourself it's unlikely you'll have any bother (beyond the patronising 'we dinnae mind youse by the way big man bud' stuff).

SChibs
16-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Went in to use the facilities on the way to the Barras for a gig many years ago. Terrifying place. Red hands and balaclava wearing folk painted on the wall. Framed pictures of the queen, Andy Goram, etc. to.

It's quite funny looking back but it could have turned out a lot differently. Didn't help that I started arguing with the guy as he didn't actually explain why he was forcing us out the door.

Albanian Hibs
16-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Springfield vaults is ok if you dont mind drinking in a total dump. We queued to get in last time, they don't mind Hibs fans coming in. It will be rammed though.

Jamesie
16-10-2018, 08:24 AM
We went to the Louden before the game in January. Very welcoming considering the reputation. As we were playing no one seemed to mind us.

Visited the Louden before the rugby 7s at Ibrox in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Survived, despite @frazerbob wearing shorts which prominently displayed the harp tattooed on his calf!

Jamesie
16-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Visited one or two of the bars opposite the Barras before a gig last year. A bit surreal to find pubs flying the tricolor on their roofs in the east end of Glasgow!

heretoday
16-10-2018, 08:26 AM
McKinnon's under the rail bridge at the start of the Gallowgate is a good wee pub. It'll be busy so get in early, say about 8am when it opens! You'll have to have "breakfast" at that hour. A sausage sandwich will suffice.

norhfc
16-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Some interesting pubs around the Baras, if you dont mind plastic glasses, everything bolted down and rebels songs pounding out the speakers. Not had any bother tho.

SideBurns
16-10-2018, 09:51 AM
When I worked for a while in the Saltmarket I occasionally drank in the Tolbooth, which is the last pub before the Saltmarket meets the Gallowgate (at the Tolbooth, basically 😁). Good old traditional pub, definitely a Celtic bar but not overtly so in terms of decour. Nice pint of Guinness at a price you'll not find in Edinburgh.
Disclaimer: not been there for 4 years, so just assuming it hasn't changed!

BullsCloseHibs
16-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Some interesting pubs around the Baras, if you dont mind plastic glasses, everything bolted down and rebels songs pounding out the speakers. Not had any bother tho.

The 'Sarry Heed' down the Barras is a good pub.

Sylar
16-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Saint Lukes and the Winged Ox, just past the Barrowlands is quite nice. It seems to be free from many of the other pitfalls associated with bars east of High Street in that it's not a "Celtc Pub".

You won't get the rebel ***** blasting out the speakers, there's no national flags in sight and no provo memorabilia behind the bar.

Otherwise, it's a struggle to find somewhere civil. I tend to avoid drinking too far east, or too far west of the city centre these days. Far too many rat pits on both sides!

Jamesie
16-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Saint Lukes and the Winged Ox, just past the Barrowlands is quite nice. It seems to be free from many of the other pitfalls associated with bars east of High Street in that it's not a "Celtc Pub".

You won't get the rebel ***** blasting out the speakers, there's no national flags in sight and no provo memorabilia behind the bar.

Otherwise, it's a struggle to find somewhere civil. I tend to avoid drinking too far east, or too far west of the city centre these days. Far too many rat pits on both sides!

Had heard of that venue but hadn't looked at it any detail - looks pretty decent. Another good spot, particularly for a pre-match lunch, would be the rapidly changing Duke St - while still book ended by the East End's branch of the Louden Tavern, places like Redmonds, Coia's Cafe and the Duchess are pretty decent non-partisan venues in a rapidly gentrifying scene. About a 20 minute walk.

For a long time in Glasgow there have been murmurings that the East End's stretch of Duke Street would rise to rival Byres Road in the West End - we're still probably some way away from that but worth a look nonetheless. Celino's on Alexandra Parade, about another 5-10 minute walk north, is also a decent pre-match scran shout.

Lendo
16-10-2018, 11:26 AM
The West Brewery is just off London Road and is really good. No idea what it's like for a pre-match pint or if the football crowd is even allowed in though.

Carheenlea
16-10-2018, 11:28 AM
When I worked for a while in the Saltmarket I occasionally drank in the Tolbooth, which is the last pub before the Saltmarket meets the Gallowgate (at the Tolbooth, basically 😁). Good old traditional pub, definitely a Celtic bar but not overtly so in terms of decour. Nice pint of Guinness at a price you'll not find in Edinburgh.
Disclaimer: not been there for 4 years, so just assuming it hasn't changed!

Went to Tolbooth for both games last season and a decent enough spot. Saint Luke’s is a good shout - have been to a couple of gigs there but never thought about it as a pre match pit stop.

.Sean.
16-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Better staying in one of the many decent bars in the centre then getting a taxi, unless you like listening to Rebel garbage blaring in ahitehole boozers

Jamesie
16-10-2018, 11:58 AM
The West Brewery is just off London Road and is really good. No idea what it's like for a pre-match pint or if the football crowd is even allowed in though.

Another good shout and the food is excellent - but as you say, I have no idea whether in places like West or St Lukes you would be turned away for having a Hibs crest on your jacket etc.

16-10-2018, 12:32 PM
We were at the Sarry Held last season. No problems and good pint of guinesss. Rebel songs and old Celtic vids being played.

BullsCloseHibs
16-10-2018, 12:34 PM
We were at the Sarry Held last season. No problems and good pint of guinesss. Rebel songs and old Celtic vids being played.

Never had an probs in there either. A fine boozer.

Sylar
16-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Never had an probs in there either. A fine boozer.

Keith_M
16-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Visited one or two of the bars opposite the Barras before a gig last year. A bit surreal to find pubs flying the tricolor on their roofs in the east end of Glasgow!

There's a shop come office along there that claims to be involved in standing up for the oppressed Irish in Scotland (dunno what century they think it is) but is basically just a propaganda centre for the uglier elements of Irish Republicanism.

When some mates from Austria went to watch Rapid at Celtc Park a few years back, they commented not only on how hideous the area was, but what a backward looking, 'ugly'* people they encountered.

* Not ugly in looks, but in their attitudes, prejudices and beliefs.

Keith_M
16-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Better staying in one of the many decent bars in the centre then getting a taxi, unless you like listening to Rebel garbage blaring in ahitehole boozers

:agree:

Each to their own, I suppose, but I think it's time they moved on and dropped their overt hatred and Shoulder Chips.

ian cruise
16-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Maggie May's isn't too far away from Barras if you're in that sort of vacinity, decent pub with good beer and good music.

Jamesie
16-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Probably zero chance of getting in those central bars with colours on though.

andrew70
16-10-2018, 02:55 PM

You going Sean? Up the Rebs haha

EH54
16-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Down the gallowgate, something different eh..

skankomcphee
16-10-2018, 08:36 PM

They must be trolls surely

Carheenlea
16-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Last time we went to a few pubs beforehand and my mate met up with some colleagues from Sheffield who were up for the day out and to go to the game. There were rebel songs playing in the pub, but none of the English visitors had any idea what was being played and it didn’t have any negative impact on their day out and first visit to Celtic Park. In one ear and out the other like most background music. I think we Scots get more angry and upset over the playing of certain musical choices than is really merited.

HibeeHibernian4
17-10-2018, 03:11 AM

Was in there before our last trip to Parkhead and there were definitely a few Celtic fans milling about inside. Very good pub as you say.

Sylar
17-10-2018, 07:46 AM
They must be trolls surely

One of them, possibly.

For the other, it's part of a wider pattern.

jgl07
17-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Tim and Ken, a couple of my pals blagged tickets for Celtic v Motherwell from Pat Nevin (brother-in-law to Ken). That was when Pat was MD at Motherwell. They went in one of the pubs before the match and found it had a hand grenade behind the bar along with the usual IRA memorabilia. Apparently it was thrown at Gerry Adams but failed to go off. Or so the landlord claimed!

H18 SFR
18-10-2018, 03:54 PM
What are the two called right at the stadium?

BoomtownHibees
18-10-2018, 04:17 PM

****holes

Hermit Crab
18-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Tim and Ken, a couple of my pals blagged tickets for Celtic v Motherwell from Pat Nevin (brother-in-law to Ken). That was when Pat was MD at Motherwell. They went in one of the pubs before the match and found it had a hand grenade behind the bar along with the usual IRA memorabilia. Apparently it was thrown at Gerry Adams but failed to go off. Or so the landlord claimed!

Aye, was he charging to have your picture taken with it as well? :greengrin

Albanian Hibs
18-10-2018, 05:17 PM

The Vaults 😷

Carheenlea
18-10-2018, 05:20 PM

The Real McCoy and The Oak Bar, formerly utter dumps The London Road Tavern and Springfield Vaults. Haven’t been in either for years so no idea how they compare to before.

Hermit Crab
18-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Turnstiles and the Springfield vaults. Both absolute dives.

LaMotta
20-10-2018, 04:14 AM

Whats best time to jump a taxi from town to the ground so you can squeeze as many pints in as possible without missing KO?

Carheenlea
21-10-2018, 11:30 AM
So where did everyone go? We just went to Tolbooth and it was a decent spot to enjoy a few pints before the game. Got in the company of some guys from Galway and it’s funny how folk can work out pretty quickly you’re Hibs fans despite not wearing colours or chanting songs! Shared an Uber to the ground with another Hibbie we met in the pub.

H18 SFR
21-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Didn't go to the pub after all. I'd been at a party the Friday and was burst.

brog
21-10-2018, 03:07 PM
We were in The Hoops on the Gallowgate. Plenty Hibs fans in making plenty of noise & the singer, mostly rebel songs, played SOL at his break.

Monktonhall 7
21-10-2018, 03:14 PM
We went to the Winged Ox at Bain st on the Gallowgate. Decent boozer wi decent pub grub available. Good atmosphere too, with a good few Hibbies in.

Keith_M
21-10-2018, 03:26 PM
I discovered that Celtc Park is the perfect place to go if you want to buy an Irish Flag with a picture of the Pope, a scarf celebrating the Easter Rising... or a DVD of the Pogues singing Rebel Songs while dressed as Leprechauns.

I also discovered that many of them do NOT like it when some guy walks along the Gallowgate singing Flower of Scotland at the top of his voice (whoever he was).

Chorley Hibee
21-10-2018, 03:29 PM
West Brewery on Glasgow Green. Great boozer and great beer too.

Keith_M
21-10-2018, 03:49 PM
West Brewery on Glasgow Green. Great boozer and great beer too.

That's because it's German.

:greengrin