PDA

View Full Version : Kick offs

leithsansiro
15-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Watching Scotland’s performance on Sportscene the other night got me thinking. Have a look at the difference between us and the Portuguese at kick off time - Scotland took a short pass and lumped a diagonal ball forward to runners who were always second-best. Portugal took kick off backwards and knocked it about amongst their defenders, giving them all a touch of the ball.

I’ve seen loads of teams in this country do the thing Scotland did (which looks more like a rugby kickoff!), but it always looks gash and hands the ball to the opposition. Hibs do it too reasonably often.

Why?

Cod Boy
15-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Happened a lot last season ball back to McGinn who hoofed the ball to the right in most cases went out for a throw in.

1van Sprou7e
15-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Decent chance of winning the ball back high up the park from the throw in

Pretty sure Leicester did this when they win the league

H18 SFR
15-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Seen Sam Allardice explaining this once. It's a stats based tactic. In simple terms the team who makes the first forward pass (i.e. Straight from kick off statistically scores the first goal) it was something like 62% - 38% or something.

Edit - I'm now recalling him saying that from the restart of it's a throw-in you've the first chance of winnings a second ball high up the park and the team that wins the first one statistically wins more.

houstonhibbee
15-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Watching Scotland’s performance on Sportscene the other night got me thinking. Have a look at the difference between us and the Portuguese at kick off time - Scotland took a short pass and lumped a diagonal ball forward to runners who were always second-best. Portugal took kick off backwards and knocked it about amongst their defenders, giving them all a touch of the ball.

I’ve seen loads of teams in this country do the thing Scotland did (which looks more like a rugby kickoff!), but it always looks gash and hands the ball to the opposition. Hibs do it too reasonably often.

Why?

Because Scottish players typically dont have the required skillset?