PDA

View Full Version : Hibs kit sponsors

Austinho
15-10-2018, 07:13 AM
What was the elusive Frank Graham Group? What did they do, and what happened to them? Are they still around? Bet it was hard to believe that 30 years later they’d be such an iconic sponsor for us, whilst the company probably vanished into relative obscurity. I imagine Marathon Bet will be looked upon even more fondly in the next few decades, and those kits fetching for £££s on whatever the 2046 version of eBay is!

Also, on the subject of kit sponsors, just dawned on me that over a 21 year period, we only had one season where a sponsor beginning with CA didn’t adorn the kit at some point - Calor, Carlsberg and Carling (albeit only for euro matches) - with only Whyte and Mackay breaking the monopoly. Completely useless bit of trivia, but interesting none the less. Must be due another soon - Cala Homes anyone? ;)

Who do you think would make a good future kit sponsor for Hibs?

Future17
15-10-2018, 07:17 AM
7up

Richibee
15-10-2018, 07:25 AM
They were a building contractor, started as a plumber based in Montgomery St

offshorehibby
15-10-2018, 07:40 AM
I'm sure it's still the same Grahams that are along Seafeild now

H18 SFR
15-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Did he not fund a huge part of Archibald's salary?

Peevemor
15-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Frank Graham passed away a few years ago. The Frank Graham Group was, as the name suggests, a group of contractors with different trades (some of whom were related to Frank) who pulled together under the Frank Graham banner for certain contracts.

I think the term 'lovable rogue' was invented for him.

Frank and his brothers Robert & Tommy were huge football fans and were both Celtic daft.

Tommy junior owned Sphere Travel who were Hibs official travel agents for a good few years.

Frank liked the idea that for me, his name was part of Hibs legend as I once told him that I referred to my 3 favourite strips as the Pat Stanton strip, the Frank Graham strip and the Sauzée strip.

calumhibee1
15-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Frank Graham passed away a few years ago. The Frank Graham Group was, as the name suggests, a group of contractors with different trades (some of whom were related to Frank) who pulled together under the Frank Graham banner for certain contracts.

I think the term 'lovable rogue' was invented for him.

Frank and his brother Tommy were huge football fans and were both Celtic daft.

Tommy junior owned Sphere Travel who were Hibs official travel agents for a good few years.

Frank liked the idea that for me, his name was part of Hibs legend as I once told him that I referred to my 3 favourite strips as the Pat Stanton strip, the Frank Graham strip and the Sauzée strip.

Didn’t know Tommy owned Sphere Travel. Sorted us out with holidays every year when I was a bairn.

Peevemor
15-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Didn’t know Tommy owned Sphere Travel. Sorted us out with holidays every year when I was a bairn.

Good guy.

calumhibee1
15-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Good guy.

He was the best guy in the world when I was wee because going to see him meant we were going to Disneyland :greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
15-10-2018, 12:02 PM

A check on Companies House website would confirm things.

Bristolhibby
15-10-2018, 03:26 PM
How can we forget “MacBean Protective Clothing”?

J

SirDavidsNapper
15-10-2018, 03:38 PM

J

No longer in buisness either. Maybe Marathon Bet should get out now 😂

Hibs1969
15-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Three all time classics, two shirts with logos, one without. Each and everyone a thing of beauty.

My_Wife_Camille
15-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Three all time classics, two shirts with logos, one without. Each and everyone a thing of beauty.
I’ve personally never seen the appeal with the first on. The white shoulders, ugly sponsor and washed out green do nothing for me

hibees 7062
15-10-2018, 06:49 PM

They're part of Jewsons

Peevemor
15-10-2018, 07:07 PM
They're part of Jewsons

Graham's the builders merchants were an entirely different outfit

offshorehibby
15-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Graham's the builders merchants were an entirely different outfit

Now i think of it, did they have the big place in between Boswell st Edina Place

WoreTheGreen
15-10-2018, 07:50 PM
I’am sure the entrance was on Leith Walk. Lovable rogue my arse he did not fancy paying his bills (works done)

Greenfly
15-10-2018, 09:52 PM
They were a building contractor, started as a plumber based in Montgomery St

They may well have been but they still sound like a blues combo or a low-billing band at a folk festival.

Forza Fred
16-10-2018, 01:46 AM

J

I certainly don't.

I wrote to them on behalf of the Oz branch when they came on board and they were fantastic...sent us a couple of Hibs strips to raffle off.

Nearly 30 years ago, but I seem to recall they were based in East Kilbride....

Forza Fred
16-10-2018, 01:48 AM
The Frank Graham group got into financial difficulties and had to pull out midway through their sponsorship contract period if I remember correctly.

derekduval
16-10-2018, 06:12 AM
Did we not bring out strips with no sponsor or maybe the previous one (P&D Wondows) which then had patches with frank graham group sewn on top before the strip with it ironed on. I assume we’d ordered strips for the season before they sponsored us.

Austinho
16-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Either of these would be perfect:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQA49QA2hZv2qSaZbKQsE-jWYjg0wNfJWcVPdoOs15p-wbBxrH3

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSTEoo5OHK2KNCajUoATSpGc6753Tf 9QqMYqAKPc2i__MztCTEH

As would this (provided it was all white and no blue of course):

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQCj1RByZ0It3mdAh2vwvnRBQP9Qp_ 0CuqKl-YhSMB36IlA-q-F

Rockstar North would be cool for the local connection, but their logo is hopeless.

Peevemor
16-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Did we not bring out strips with no sponsor or maybe the previous one (P&D Wondows) which then had patches with frank graham group sewn on top before the strip with it ironed on. I assume we’d ordered strips for the season before they sponsored us.

The "Fishers" kit was originally brought out without a sponsor. In the photo for the announcement of the sponsorship, I'm sure the players had car dealer back window stickers taped across their chests.

They were followed by Insave. That strip started with an empty white stripe across the chest and Insave was eventually added when the deal was agreed.

The Pointer
16-10-2018, 07:22 AM
It would be good to get an internationally known non-betting company again (Carlsberg).

I got a waxed jacket from Macbean's factory in Cumbernauld just before they closed down in the 80s. Still use it for gardening.

LaMotta
16-10-2018, 08:28 AM
What was the elusive Frank Graham Group? What did they do, and what happened to them? Are they still around? Bet it was hard to believe that 30 years later they’d be such an iconic sponsor for us, whilst the company probably vanished into relative obscurity. I imagine Marathon Bet will be looked upon even more fondly in the next few decades, and those kits fetching for £££s on whatever the 2046 version of eBay is!

Also, on the subject of kit sponsors, just dawned on me that over a 21 year period, we only had one season where a sponsor beginning with CA didn’t adorn the kit at some point - Calor, Carlsberg and Carling (albeit only for euro matches) - with only Whyte and Mackay breaking the monopoly. Completely useless bit of trivia, but interesting none the less. Must be due another soon - Cala Homes anyone? ;)

Who do you think would make a good future kit sponsor for Hibs?

You sure it was a 21 year period? Did you mean 11?!

Austinho
16-10-2018, 09:24 AM
You sure it was a 21 year period? Did you mean 11?!Oops... 1994-2005 is 11 years. That's what I said right? :wink:

hibees 7062
16-10-2018, 01:45 PM
He was Celtic fan

weecounty hibby
16-10-2018, 02:42 PM
I want to buy an Alpha Romeo from Fishers, using financial advice from Insave and park it in the drive of my house that Frank Graham Group built that has P&D double glazed windows and that I used McEwan Fraser to buy. I want to be able to sit outside in the garden wearing waterproofs from Macbean under a patio heater using Calor gas. I will be getting pished on Whyte and McKay and Crabbies and Carlsberg while blowing a heap of cash gambling with Marathonbet. All this while wearing my George Best replica Bukta kit

LaMotta
16-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Oops... 1994-2005 is 11 years. That's what I said right? :wink:

:hilarious