PDA

View Full Version : Who is the other player in this Hibs pic??

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:12 PM
So I obviously recognise Arthur and Des Bremner. (edit - at least I think its Des ! :-) ...but can't for the life of me recall who the other player is. Was thinking Derek Spalding - but don't think its him..

Anyone help me out here??

MSK
14-10-2018, 07:15 PM
So I obviously recognise Arthur and Des Bremner. (edit - at least I think its Des ! :-) ...but can't for the life of me recall who the other player is. Was thinking Derek Spalding - but don't think its him..

Anyone help me out here??Callaghan ?

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Callaghan ?

Ralphy?? not him...

was probably playing for them at this time ! :)

WoreTheGreen
Callaghan ?

No

blackpoolhibs
Is it Jim Black?

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Is it Jim Black?

looks too young BH

blackpoolhibs
14-10-2018, 07:20 PM
looks too young BH

Aye perhaps, i dont recognise the player, just wondered if it was a strange angle of him? I only mentioned him as he was the other centre half that would have been near sloop? :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
14-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Spalding my guess

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Spalding my guess

it would be his era...

blackpoolhibs
14-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Spalding my guess

Aye it could be him? :confused:

Badge
14-10-2018, 07:24 PM
John Hazel?

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Spalding is in this team pic....do we think it's same guy??

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:26 PM
John Hazel?

Could be the answer....

Saturday Boy
14-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Definitely. Spalding .

Based entirely on it not being anyone else

Earlydelivery
14-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Spalding for me

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Here's the squad from that very season....only other one it could is Gerry Adair... but think it is Spalding - looks even more like him in this pic

WoreTheGreen
14-10-2018, 07:31 PM
How good is that strip

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:32 PM
How good is that strip

it is the most perfect football strip ever created...

we should only ever wear that...

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 07:40 PM
I think it's Iain Munro.

Wasn't a lot of games where Derek Spalding and Donald Ford played in.

cmcd
14-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Here's the squad from that very season....only other one it could is Gerry Adair... but think it is Spalding - looks even more like him in this pic

Looks like Spalding

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:41 PM
I think it's Iain Munro.

nah...not Iain Munro... (only needs to be one game :-))

Iggy Pope
14-10-2018, 07:44 PM
It's Derek Spalding. Subject to recent discussion. Last American before young Emerson to have scored for Hibs although he wasn't American at the time it seems, that came later when he emigrated (although Hibs kept his registration), and possibly one of only three Americans to have achieved the feat. (Scoring for the Hibs that is, not the being American part). Played a lot of games for Hibs circa 74-77 and I'm sure it's him. Definitely not any of the others suggested.

WoreTheGreen
14-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Not Munro

HoboHarry
14-10-2018, 07:45 PM
I think it's Iain Munro.

Iain Munro? You on the sauce this afternoon Scoop? :greengrin

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 07:46 PM
nah...not Iain Munro... (only needs to be one game :-))

What game do you think it was, I was thinking 4-1 Hearts game in 1973.

WoreTheGreen
14-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Iain Munro? You on the sauce this afternoon Scoop? :greengrin

Spalding

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:54 PM
What game do you think it was, I was thinking 4-1 Hearts game in 1973.

This pic is from a game at Easter Road. that was an away game wasn't it?

Iggy Pope
14-10-2018, 07:55 PM
It's not close to looking like Iain Munro or John Hazel (doubt Hazel ever wore that kit)

Here's some help. New Year's Day 75 maybe?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6219

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 07:58 PM
It's not close to looking like Iain Munro or John Hazel (doubt Hazel ever wore that kit)

Here's some help. New Year's Day 75 maybe?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6219

as it was a home game - think it was more likely sept 74... 2-1 victory .. cheers!

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 07:59 PM
This pic is from a game at Easter Road. that was an away game wasn't it?

The 4-1 game was at Tynecastle.

I wasn't sure the picture was Easter Road, my memory was the enclosures at Easter Road were on a slope, the enclosure in the picture looks to be pretty level.

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:01 PM
as it was a home game - think it was more likely sept 74... 2-1 victory .. cheers!

Certainly an autumn game as opposed to a New Years Day game.

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:01 PM
The 4-1 game was at Tynecastle.

I wasn't sure the picture was Easter Road, my memory was the enclosures at Easter Road were on a slope, the enclosure in the picture looks to be pretty level.

Yeah - not easy to see from that angle - the top image on here shows it was at ER....

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Spalding it is then eh...cheers guys....Better than chatting about that nonsense Scotland game :-)

Iggy Pope
14-10-2018, 08:04 PM

I'm not sure I can tell where the game was from the photo but he played in both derbies 74/75.....

Second photo concludes!

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure I can tell where the game was from the photo but he played in both derbies 74/75.....

see above for a better set of pics - showing it was a home game :). definitely Spalding - helped by your sleuth work. - cheers Columbo! :)

Iggy Pope
14-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Certainly an autumn game as opposed to a New Years Day game.

Spalding though right? :greengrin

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Yeah - not easy to see from that angle - the top image on here shows it was at ER....

Yes, top picture confirms it was Easter Road.

7th September 1974, Hibs won 2-1 and if memory serves me correctly Hibs missed two penalties.

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Spalding though right? :greengrin

Think it has to be squire, certainly played in the game we are agreed on as did the others in the picture.

Iggy Pope
14-10-2018, 08:10 PM
see above for a better set of pics - showing it was a home game :). definitely Spalding - helped by your sleuth work. - cheers Columbo! :)

Are those Shoot! Photos?

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:12 PM

7th September 1974, Hibs won 2-1 and if memory serves me correctly Hibs missed two penalties.

Yep. Harper and Cropley. Wait for it...ref was Bobby Davison ! [emoji102]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Are those Shoot! Photos?

Don't know Iggy. My source was Twitter

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Are those Shoot! Photos?

Looks like it Iggy.

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Yep. Harper and Cropley. Wait for it...ref was Bobby Davison ! [emoji102]

Mind you @scoopyboy...with your Iain Munro guess..reckon you use the same opticians that Davidson used [emoji23][emoji23]

Billy Whizz
14-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Looks like it Iggy.

Do you remember the Shoot cardboard cut out league tables you used to get. Got to move the team up and down the league after every game

Was much better than this online stuff you get now😄

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Do you remember the Shoot cardboard cut out league tables you used to get. Got to move the team up and down the league after every game

Was much better than this online stuff you get now[emoji1]

Loved them.....although have to admit I only lasted about 4 weeks then got fed up moving them......would be nice to have kept some....

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:19 PM

Was much better than this online stuff you get now😄

Aye, used them religiously for the first few weeks then got cheesed off wi them.

Billy Whizz
14-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Loved them.....although have to admit I only lasted about 4 weeks then got fed up moving them......would be nice to have kept some....

I dont have any either
I used to use the teams to play imaginary cup draws using a dice. If Hibs lost I threw it again

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:21 PM
I dont have any either
I used to use the teams to play imaginary cup draws using a dice. If Hibs lost I threw it again

I used to use the many scores in the Sunday papers to run imaginary leagues...somehow Hibs often won...so don't think I was as random as I thought I was ! :)

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Mind you @scoopyboy...with your Iain Munro guess..reckon you use the same opticians that Davidson used [emoji23][emoji23]

Aye Big Bad Bobby Davidson from Airdrie who was a staunch Orangeman who hated green, or so I was told by older Hibbies at the time.

Interestingly enough I was reading an old Scottish Cup book the other night and in particular the 1958 semi v, Rangers at Hampden. First game was a draw and Hibs were winning 2-1 in the replay with a minute to go when Rangers scored an equaliser, or so they thought but a certain R.H.Davidson from Airdrie disallowed it.

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Aye Big Bad Bobby Davidson from Airdrie who was a staunch Orangeman who hated green, or so I was told by older Hibbies at the time.

Interestingly enough I was reading an old Scottish Cup book the other night and in particular the 1958 semi v, Rangers at Hampden. First game was a draw and Hibs were winning 2-1 in the replay with a minute to go when Rangers scored an equaliser, or so they thought but a certain R.H.Davidson from Airdrie disallowed it.

Yeah...heard those too.....those myths still exist about referees today...when in reality , they are just sometimes not very good! [emoji3]

scoopyboy
14-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Yeah...heard those too.....those myths still exist about referees today...when in reality , they are just sometimes not very good! [emoji3]

Decent thread this bigwheel, hate weekends when Hibs aren't playing.

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Game at Easter Road definitely Derek Spalding

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Decent thread this bigwheel, hate weekends when Hibs aren't playing.

Yes...it went in a decent little journey didn't it...the ones you least expect often do.....

Me too....my suggestion for UEFA is. Play all international games...qualifiers and finals only in the summer...so we don't have boring weekends like this :). no international breaks will allow season to be shorter..players can rest before the internationals....sorted ! [emoji6]

brog
14-10-2018, 09:13 PM

Davidson didn't disallow the goal, the lino did. Ralph Brand clearly punched the ball into the net. Davidson gave the goal but the lino kept his flag up & eventually goal was disallowed. Legend had it that lino never officiated again.

brog
14-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Yep & Yams goal was a penalty. Should have been 4 or 5 zero.

bigwheel
14-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Yep & Yams goal was a penalty. Should have been 4 or 5 zero.

I love that fitba fan logic...our two missed penalties should have counted...but the yams one shouldn't have...[emoji3]. Got to love football fans!

brog
14-10-2018, 09:45 PM
I love that fitba fan logic...our two missed penalties should have counted...but the yams one shouldn't have...[emoji3]. Got to love football fans!

I didnt really mean that. Just my recall of the game was that we murdered them 2-1! ☺

Stantons Angel
14-10-2018, 10:25 PM
to end the thread.... its defo Derek Spalding!

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2018, 10:31 PM

:thumbsup:

Flyman
14-10-2018, 10:40 PM

But it’s not Des.

delbert
15-10-2018, 02:15 AM
But it’s not Des.

It is Derek Spalding and the player almost horizontal is defo Des Bremner !

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 05:48 AM
I didnt really mean that. Just my recall of the game was that we murdered them 2-1! ☺

I know...was just celebrating your reflections [emoji106]

Hiber-nation
15-10-2018, 06:40 AM
It is Derek Spalding and the player almost horizontal is defo Des Bremner !

You think so? Looks like Bobby Smith to me despite what the caption says. The player almost horizontal I mean!

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 06:44 AM
You think so? Looks like Bobby Smith to me despite what the caption says. The player almost horizontal I mean!

defo Des Bremner for me....

scoopyboy
15-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Davidson didn't disallow the goal, the lino did. Ralph Brand clearly punched the ball into the net. Davidson gave the goal but the lino kept his flag up & eventually goal was disallowed. Legend had it that lino never officiated again.

Checked back the book and it claimed it was Maxie Murray who handballed it into the net.

Don't think I've ever read a football book that didn't contain errors.

vuefrom1875
15-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Could be the answer....

Correct sir!

Bill Milne
15-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Very sure it is Derek Spalding!!

madsen5
15-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Anyone help me out here??

Derek Spalding.

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Just to confuse things I think the pictures are from 2 different matches. Top one Easter road and the bottom one tynecastle.

Don’t think so. Looks like Easter road enclosure to me ...

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Correct sir!

I think we have subsequently found out the game and the team and concluded Derek Spalding [emoji106]

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2018, 10:51 AM
This image is doing my nut in!

I can see Arthur and Derek Spalding but not convinced horizontal guy is Des Bremner.

Have we agreed a date and match result?

It is difficult to get info online for games that took place 45 years ago

I was thinking horizontal guy could be Roy Barry but he wasn’t a HIBS player in August 1974??

brog
15-10-2018, 11:00 AM
I know...was just celebrating your reflections [emoji106]

:thumbsup: You're 100% correct about the way fans think, me included!

brog
15-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Checked back the book and it claimed it was Maxie Murray who handballed it into the net.

Don't think I've ever read a football book that didn't contain errors.

You're right there! This report states Brand handled it & Millar put it in net, that sounds right. I actually found a Pathe newsreel of the game but it missed our pen & the handball incident!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibbee-history-hampden-heroics-as-hibs-make-cup-final-1-1243807

worcesterhibby
15-10-2018, 12:12 PM

John Blackley's hair is Epic in the that pic.

Hiber-nation
15-10-2018, 12:29 PM
defo Des Bremner for me....

Suppose the legs are too long for Bobby....

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 12:42 PM
John Blackley's hair is Epic in the that pic.

hahah. so it is.....Dare you to grow it! :)

Iggy Pope
15-10-2018, 01:12 PM

I can see Arthur and Derek Spalding but not convinced horizontal guy is Des Bremner.

I was thinking horizontal guy could be Roy Barry but he wasn’t a HIBS player in August 1974??

Read the whole thread Billy and see post #28.
This site is brilliant and shows that Derek Spalding (for it is he), Bobby and Des all played in the game we are talking about.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17318

Save it in your browser as it is a goldmine of info for collectors and enthusiasts.

Edit. It’s beyond me how any of a certain vintage see that as anyone other than Des Bremner.....

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Read the whole thread Billy and see post #28.
This site is brilliant and shows that Derek Spalding (for it is he), Bobby and Des all played in the game we are talking about.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17318

Save it in your browser as it is a goldmine of info for collectors and enthusiasts.

Edit. It’s beyond me how any of a certain vintage see that as anyone other than Des Bremner.....

Ha Ha! Been on fitba stats all morning trying to work this out.

I was at most games in the seventies but cannot remember this one.

Must have been winching

I have looked at this player from all angles

The hair is similar to Des Bremner but the cheeks are puffier the jaw is squarer and the legs seem to be too muscley A young Des Bremner was thin and wirey built like a whippet.

The narrative says it is Des

The only other possibilities 3-0 New Years Day game but seem to remember that was played mostly under the lights or the 1-0 Joe Harper game but Hearts wore maroon socks that day.:confused:

Iggy Pope
15-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Ha Ha! Been on fitba stats all morning trying to work this out.

I was at most games in the seventies but cannot remember this one.

Must have been winching

I have looked at this player from all angles

The hair is similar to Des Bremner but the cheeks are puffier the jaw is squarer and the legs seem to be too muscley A young Des Bremner was thin and wirey built like a whippet.

The narrative says it is Des

The only other possibilities 3-0 New Years Day game but seem to remember that was played mostly under the lights or the 1-0 Joe Harper game but Hearts wore maroon socks that day.:confused:

Its Des Bremner. Those legs look slim enough to me and it’s all getting a bit CSI when we start talking about jaw line.
Its Des Bremner. We only played them once any season at ER all through that era and the kits narrow it down to only one possibility, 74/75. Who else can it be in the picture? Derek Spalding never played in the 1-0 game (first ever PL derby) in 75/76 and he’s certainly the man pointing in the photo where all this (satisfying and entertaining) thread started. Spalding never played in the 73/74 derby. It’s not 72/73 Arthurs mowser is evidence of that and neither Des or Spalding were there any way. Process of elimination.

madsen5
15-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Definitely Des.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Its Des Bremner. Those legs look slim enough to me and it’s all getting a bit CSI when we start talking about jaw line.
Its Des Bremner. We only played them once any season at ER all through that era and the kits narrow it down to only one possibility, 74/75. Who else can it be in the picture? Derek Spalding never played in the 1-0 game (first ever PL derby) in 75/76 and he’s certainly the man pointing in the photo where all this (satisfying and entertaining) thread started. Spalding never played in the 73/74 derby. It’s not 72/73 Arthurs mowser is evidence of that and neither Des or Spalding were there any way. Process of elimination.
After much deliberation and as you quite rightly say due to the process of elimination it can only be Des Bremner with his face puffed out and contorted awaiting possible further impact from the wee Jambo bouncing oan his heid!

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Sorry guys still no sleeping at night!

Dont want to get all CSI again but Des Bremner had a side parting this guy has a centre paring with a wee cherub face and stockier build than Des defo ........

BOBBY SMITH !

WoreTheGreen
16-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Sorry guys still no sleeping at night!

Dont want to get all CSI again but Des Bremner had a side parting this guy has a centre paring with a wee cherub face and stockier build than Des defo ........

BOBBY SMITH !

Desy all day long night night

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Desy all day long night night

:confused:

WoreTheGreen
16-10-2018, 08:31 PM
:confused:

Des had a shocking hairstyle while Bobby had a top perm

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Des had a shocking hairstyle while Bobby had a top perm
Thought about that!

Des Bremners hair style was like a hedgehog with a side parting and at that time he was thin and wiry

It looks to me as if it must have been raining that day as everyone’s hair is flat and Arthur’s moustache makes him look like Pancho Villa :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
16-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Thought about that!

Des Bremners hair style was like a hedgehog with a side parting and at that time he was thin and wiry

It looks to me as if it must have been raining that day as everyone’s hair is flat and Arthur’s moustache makes him look like Pancho
:greengrin the thin muscular thighs says Des . Bobby was wee and solid

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 08:48 PM
the thin muscular thighs says Des . Bobby was wee and solid

Yip!

Thought about that as well

Night Night !

:bye:

brog
16-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Yip!

Thought about that as well

Night Night !

:bye:

Much though I loved wee Bobby he never got that close to an oppo player in his life. That's Dessie, taking one for the team as usual.

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Much though I loved wee Bobby he never got that close to an oppo player in his life. That's Dessie, taking one for the team as usual.
Yip!

Never realised how good Des Bremner was until after he left big gaps started to appear all over the pitch!

The Oracle has spoken

Des Bremner it is

:not worth