PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the event management business?

Franck Le God
14-10-2018, 09:06 AM
I'd love a bit of advice if so, trying to tap into the power of the dot net hive mind.

My partner is trying to get some experience in the industry while she's at college. The problem she's facing is all she's getting is waiting/bar work offered, rather than a chance to actually see how events are put together.

Is this just how it goes? Ie, do your time behind the bar and work your way up to being involved with the planning? Or is there somewhere she could shadow an established events planner to see how it's done?

Any help or pointers would be brilliant.

Moulin Yarns
14-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Where has she contacted? Etiom plan events in Aberdeen and planit Scotland have a 3 day event in Inverness next weekend. Aberdeen events back in May had around 3,000 attending and I hope for similar next weekend.

Scouse Hibee
14-10-2018, 02:24 PM
I'd love a bit of advice if so, trying to tap into the power of the dot net hive mind.

My partner is trying to get some experience in the industry while she's at college. The problem she's facing is all she's getting is waiting/bar work offered, rather than a chance to actually see how events are put together.

Is this just how it goes? Ie, do your time behind the bar and work your way up to being involved with the planning? Or is there somewhere she could shadow an established events planner to see how it's done?

Any help or pointers would be brilliant.

Does it have to be paid work? Several of the big hotels in Edinburgh have their own in-house event planning staff. If it’s just unpaid experience I am sure she could contact them and they would help. Alternatively I have a contact at Blue Parrot who could maybe help.

Franck Le God
15-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Where has she contacted? Etiom plan events in Aberdeen and planit Scotland have a 3 day event in Inverness next weekend. Aberdeen events back in May had around 3,000 attending and I hope for similar next weekend.

She did a bit of work with a couple of Fringe venues and a bit with the Ghilli Dhu but to me they took advantage and used her as a free waitress, rather than showing her anything about how the events were run.

I appreciate it's a hard industry to get into generally but she's just trying to get a foot in the door somewhere.

Franck Le God
15-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Does it have to be paid work? Several of the big hotels in Edinburgh have their own in-house event planning staff. If it’s just unpaid experience I am sure she could contact them and they would help. Alternatively I have a contact at Blue Parrot who could maybe help.

I wouldn't have thought so, while she's at college anyway.

We've not spoken to any of the hotels so that's a good shout, thanks. If anything came up at Blue Parrot I'd really appreciate a PM - I could get a CV over to you any time if that's any help.

I've seen the power of .Net in the past so thought it was definitely worth a shot.

Franck Le God
15-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Meant to post this on the PM board - definite brain fart!