PDA

View Full Version : Dutch European prizemoney

sambajustice
13-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Just read that in Holland they've agreed that all the Champions League money earned will be split equally among the teams in the top league.

Seeing as we seem to be a team on the up, hopefully regularly competing in Europe, would you be for or against say, all European prize money (for both comps) being pooled and distributed evenly??

I'm assuming this Dutch agreement doesn't include ticket sale money etc.

makaveli1875
13-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Just read that in Holland they've agreed that all the Champions League money earned will be split equally among the teams in the top league.

Seeing as we seem to be a team on the up, hopefully regularly competing in Europe, would you be for or against say, all European prize money (for both comps) being pooled and distributed evenly??

I'm assuming this Dutch agreement doesn't include ticket sale money etc.

Hell would freeze over before Celtic or Sevco would agree to that

hibbysam
13-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Totally against it. We’d be as well going full American and having drafts and crap like that if we wanted to make it ‘even’. It’s up to clubs to make as much money as possible and spend that money as best as they can.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Pretty sure that is not happening. Ajax and psv are giving up 10% so all teams can afford grass so they don't have to play on crappy plastic parks.

Those teams would never give away that advantage because they're already miles and miles behind top European clubs simply because of money.

murray26
13-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Totally for it.. our league is painfully boring and predictable.. anything that can help make it more competitive would be welcomed and would benefit us all.. but as a previous poster has already pointed out ‘ hell would indeed freeze over before the OF agreed to that’ greed and self importance is ingrained into our mentality in this country.

AgentDaleCooper
13-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Totally against it. We’d be as well going full American and having drafts and crap like that if we wanted to make it ‘even’. It’s up to clubs to make as much money as possible and spend that money as best as they can.

No, we wouldn't be as well doing that. Champions League money is ruining the game, clubs can still be run well wand responsibly without it.

hibbysam
13-10-2018, 02:45 PM
No, we wouldn't be as well doing that. Champions League money is ruining the game, clubs can still be run well wand responsibly without it.

Can you explain the ‘champions league money is ruining the game’ statement. The Scottish game? The overall game? Celtic barely got any CL money this year but will still be well ahead, money wise, than the rest of us, but we made a decent whack in our budgets terms in the Europa League and you want us to hand that to Hamilton and Dundee 😂

AgentDaleCooper
13-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Can you explain the ‘champions league money is ruining the game’ statement. The Scottish game? The overall game? Celtic barely got any CL money this year but will still be well ahead, money wise, than the rest of us, but we made a decent whack in our budgets terms in the Europa League and you want us to hand that to Hamilton and Dundee 😂
Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

At the moment, the only hope any smaller team has is for someone to come in with big bucks, or for some leicester-style miracle to happen.

Financial inequality in football is natural, but that dossn't mean action shouldn't be taken to stop it becoming so extreme.

Another point - would it not be a much better state of affairs if everyone had a shot at the league, not every season, but over a decade, if they ran their club well?

I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.

SChibs
13-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Celtic probably made more money from Europe than most clubs in the league turn over annually

Malthibby
13-10-2018, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=AgentDaleCooper;5575504]Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

At the moment, the only hope any smaller team has is for someone to come in with big bucks, or for some leicester-style miracle to happen.

Financial inequality in football is natural, but that dossn't mean action shouldn't be taken to stop it becoming so extreme.

Another point - would it not be a much better state of affairs if everyone had a shot at the league, not every season, but over a decade, if they ran their club well?

I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.[/QUOTE

Got there before I could. The CL is entirely elitist and designed to guarantee a few countries and their top teams sup at the top table in perpetuity. It's a Champions' League full
of teams who aren't champions and they don't give a flying one about the rest of us. It's just Billionaires' playtime & it causes serious dislocation for the rest of us. Bassas.

Ozyhibby
13-10-2018, 06:21 PM
We could start by cutting the prize for winning the spfl down to zero.
Champions league qualification is prize enough I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
14-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Celtic's dominance is on the back of getting CL/EL money year in year out. There's a reason leagues have become less competitive since the champions league in its current format came into being - some clubs can afford to budget, or in some cases gamble, on the assumption that they will be getting big paycheques either this season or in the not too distant future. Obviously we want to be in that positiin, but we'd be risking our existence if we assumed it would be the case. Your argument is a basic reducto ad absurdum, suggesting that one action entails taking that action to its logical extreme, which is clearly rubbish.

I'd be happy for hibs to share our european money if it was within a system where all such money was shared.

In terms of our league I’d agree it’s an advantage but so is averaging 60k compared to 16k.

In terms of other leagues the champions league money isn’t great at all compared to their tv deals.

ColintonHibs
14-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Take earned money from the winning teams and give to the teams who can’t win games.
Sounds like a great idea.... LOL
Capital belongs in the hands of winners

lyonhibs
14-10-2018, 06:42 PM
That's not even roughly what's happening. It's 10% from the top 3 teams. So they're keeping 90%. It's not exactly Warren Beatty levels of altruism.

eastcoasthibby
14-10-2018, 08:14 PM
If the money is to be divided up equally there would need to be a criteria on how the money is used....ie on a grass pitch, not paying shareholder dividends, so much into development and coaching, etc etc ...

Michael
14-10-2018, 09:25 PM
We could start by cutting the prize for winning the spfl down to zero.
Champions league qualification is prize enough I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's quite extreme, but I would say the winner should only get about 1.5x what 12th gets.

where'stheslope
16-10-2018, 04:28 PM
The 2 biggest teams in our League are way out in front of the rest by having mega stadia that holds 66k and 48k, if they are only 2/3 full they are still bringing in double anyone else if they fill their stadium?

Most of the rest of the teams want parity with them or even a level playing field, we'll never get either as the GFA bend over backwards every time they bleat about something!

There was a slight chance if we moved out of Hampden, but now that has sailed, it will be back to the status quo and the rest will just have to lump it!!!