PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh City

CMurdoch
12-10-2018, 08:05 PM
On Alba at the moment playing top of Division 1 Arbroath in the Irn Brew Cup.
Good game.
City have some impressive players and are 3-1 up after 70 mins.
Very good strikers in Shepperd and Henderson

CMurdoch
12-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Handling started but was injured and replaced after 50 mins

CMurdoch
12-10-2018, 08:09 PM
4-1, home and dry

Halmyre Hibee
12-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Watching this rather than Engerland game. More fans at Arbroath 😂. Edinburgh City playing well and both clubs top of their respective divisions. Reasonable entertainment.

SJNB Hibby
12-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Liam Henderson scored their 4th:shocked:

Forza Fred
13-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Very impressive result on the face of it.

Certainly cost me money!

itslegaltender
13-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Pleased for Jim McDonagh, a great guy.

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 12:58 PM
They played really well last night and it is obvious now to me why they are strolling Division 2.
A very good group of players.
Ex Aberdeen Josh Walker didn't play last night, don't know if he is injured
Conrad Balatoni who played recently in the SPL for Partick Thistle
Craig Thomson (no daft comments please)
Marc Laird (played down south for a long time)
Danny Handling (a step back to move forward, injured last night)
Blair Henderson (24 year old striker, 6'4", very good player and ex Hibs)
Scott Shepherd (a good striking foil for Henderson, very good last night)

1st Division team next season and a good place to send Hibs development players.
Manager McDonagh doing a great job :aok:.

Jamesie
13-10-2018, 01:43 PM
They played really well last night and it is obvious now to me why they are strolling Division 2.
A very good group of players.
Ex Aberdeen Josh Walker didn't play last night, don't know if he is injured
Conrad Balatoni who played recently in the SPL for Partick Thistle
Craig Thomson (no daft comments please)
Marc Laird (played down south for a long time)
Danny Handling (a step back to move forward, injured last night)
Blair Henderson (24 year old striker, 6'4", very good player and ex Hibs)
Scott Shepherd (a good striking foil for Henderson, very good last night)

1st Division team next season and a good place to send Hibs development players.
Manager McDonagh doing a great job :aok:.

Where are they getting the cash for all of this?

sixtwo
13-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Their supporters club is rammed full of Hibs fans every time we play at home.

Pagan Hibernia
13-10-2018, 02:30 PM

maybe their pies are better than ours

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 02:30 PM

It was a clever move buying that place.

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Did they sell their city centre premises?

overdrive
13-10-2018, 03:24 PM
I wondered whether the rent at Spartans might be cheaper than Meadowbank was which might partly explain an increase in budget.

tamig
13-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Did they sell their city centre premises?

Yes. They got a fortune for it. As you could imagine.

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Yes. They got a fortune for it. As you could imagine.

Presume they bought the boozer at Lochend with the money received and are spending the rest developing the club and team. They won't need a lot of money to make it to the 2nd tier but would struggle to stay there as Dumbarton, Alloa and Brechin have found.

Jamesie
13-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Presume they bought the boozer at Lochend with the money received and are spending the rest developing the club and team. They won't need a lot of money to make it to the 2nd tier but would struggle to stay there as Dumbarton, Alloa and Brechin have found.

Don’t think they even had to purchase that - I believe it’s leased from Danny Swanson’s father.

Killiehibbie
13-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Hard to see that much being made from a couple of hours every fortnight.

DickieDastardly
13-10-2018, 05:35 PM
They also have a lad called Andrew Black playing for them, he was in the Hibs youth ranks for circa 5yrs.

Kojock
13-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Don’t think they even had to purchase that - I believe it’s leased from Danny Swanson’s father.

They had a two year lease to start with but once it was up and running saw the potential and bought the building. They are now trying to purchase the old Chinese takeaway next door and also extend upwards which means raising the roof. Yet we are told BTG was losing money.

greenlex
13-10-2018, 09:46 PM
They had a two year lease to start with but once it was up and running saw the potential and bought the building. They are now trying to purchase the old Chinese takeaway next door and also extend upwards which means raising the roof. Yet we are told BTG was losing money.

BTG was only Open a few hours on matchday.

Frazerbob
13-10-2018, 10:22 PM

BTG probably took a couple of grand every match day. Not many boozers survive on £40k annual turnover.

marinello59
14-10-2018, 06:33 AM
It was a clever move buying that place.

Maybe Hibs should go in to the pub business, we could buy a chain of them. What could possibly go wrong? :greengrin

LancsHibs
14-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Maybe Hibs should go in to the pub business, we could buy a chain of them. What could possibly go wrong? :greengrin

Good idea, maybe a few boozers in Gloucestershire or Somerset🤨

Just Alf
14-10-2018, 08:06 AM

A cunning plan! :agree:

green day
14-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Remember, EC had a bundle of cash from the sale of the premises down from The Playhouse.

Being honest, if BTG was provided on the basis it must make a profit, I wonder if it would exist at all.

EC club does well out of Hibs fans on matchdays, but - like all other pubs near Easter Road - it cant just survive on that alone (remember the Albion Bar ?).

As for the redevelopment of the Loch Inn, I wonder if this is more of a property speculation / investment rather than due to demand for a bigger pub.

Has anyone been in on a non matchday - Wonder what its like then?

Kojock
14-10-2018, 02:20 PM
BTG probably took a couple of grand every match day. Not many boozers survive on £40k annual turnover.

BTG was also used for weddings, private parties, Christmas parties and meetings etc. I have no idea if they had any overheads like rent, electricity, sky sports etc. To say it couldn't return a profit is down to the incompetence of the people running it.

delbert
14-10-2018, 02:23 PM
maybe their pies are better than ours

Maybe ???

ancient hibee
14-10-2018, 02:24 PM
That’s a pretty duff idea.

H18 SFR
14-10-2018, 03:01 PM
That’s a pretty duff idea.

Not as black and white as that, too many Grey areas.

BullsCloseHibs
14-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Remember, EC had a bundle of cash from the sale of the premises down from The Playhouse.

Being honest, if BTG was provided on the basis it must make a profit, I wonder if it would exist at all.

EC club does well out of Hibs fans on matchdays, but - like all other pubs near Easter Road - it cant just survive on that alone (remember the Albion Bar ?).

As for the redevelopment of the Loch Inn, I wonder if this is more of a property speculation / investment rather than due to demand for a bigger pub.

It used to have an interesting jukebox!

tamig
14-10-2018, 05:31 PM

I drive by it quite a lot and during the decent weather in the summer there was always a sizeable crowd drinking at the tables outside during the week. Not sure what its like now though.

WoreTheGreen
14-10-2018, 05:37 PM
It used to have an interesting jukebox!

Not to sure the jury’s out on that one

SChibs
14-10-2018, 05:40 PM

I went in one day in a work capacity and there were 4 or 5 older guys having a pint. This is at about 1pm on a Thursday I think

Keyser Sauzee
15-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Do Edinburgh City have home games at the same time we play at ER? Has this happened yet?

bigwheel
15-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Do Edinburgh City have home games at the same time we play at ER? Has this happened yet?

Yes. Played Berwick at home last time out same time as we were home ....for example.

offshorehibby
15-10-2018, 07:36 PM
I know a lot of guys who always drank in the Loch Inn before games and Tamsons after games took out the £25 membership for the Edinburgh City Club when they moved there.

Mick O'Rourke
15-10-2018, 07:56 PM

Although never a member, i used the club in Baxter's Place before/and or after games sometimes,
A pal of mine has been a member for near 50yrs
His story was the sale profits would be divided by shareholders/members.
I don't know what share the FC had in the social club.
The club had planned to relocate further down Leith Walk .

It fell through or was too expensive.

Not sure all(members) were happy with what the old club sold for.

They then hoped that a redeveloped Meadowbank would include them having a social club there.
So the present premises initially were supposed to be temporary.
So it just may be a lease

Don't know the score now though.

The club will hope to get non football going members to keep it going
Like many "football" social club, not all members follow the game.

Feedback from my pal is that the new premise is doing ok
Went a couple of times when it first opened.
Was still being renovated then.
I cannot swear to all the above being correct now.
Just past conversations with long time members and committee men at the time around the sale. Maybe a club member itk can update

Jamesie
15-10-2018, 09:26 PM
I know a lot of guys who always drank in the Loch Inn before games and Tamsons after games took out the £25 membership for the Edinburgh City Club when they moved there.

Membership has gone up a fair bit now I believe - was £55 IIRC the last time I checked. I live very close to the ground and have Sky / BT / Premier subscriptions and a big fridge so I couldn’t see any real benefit to me in joining.

Jamesie
15-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Although never a member, i used the club in Baxter's Place before/and or after games sometimes,
A pal of mine has been a member for near 50yrs
His story was the sale profits would be divided by shareholders/members.
I don't know what share the FC had in the social club.
The club had planned to relocate further down Leith Walk .

It fell through or was too expensive.

Not sure all(members) were happy with what the old club sold for.

They then hoped that a redeveloped Meadowbank would include them having a social club there.
So the present premises initially were supposed to be temporary.
So it just may be a lease

Don't know the score now though.

The club will hope to get non football going members to keep it going
Like many "football" social club, not all members follow the game.

Feedback from my pal is that the new premise is doing ok
Went a couple of times when it first opened.
Was still being renovated then.
I cannot swear to all the above being correct now.
Just past conversations with long time members and committee men at the time around the sale. Maybe a club member itk can update

The sale profits story reminds me of the bowling club - St Andrews if I recall - near to Easter Road that was sold to make way for flats. Think each of the members got £13k there.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Membership has gone up a fair bit now I believe - was £55 IIRC the last time I checked. I live very close to the ground and have Sky / BT / Premier subscriptions and a big fridge so I couldn’t see any real benefit to me in joining.

It’s only £20 for an associate membership.

cocteautwin
16-10-2018, 11:57 AM
I’ve always wondered what the interior specification the owners give to the design team when decorating an establishment like this?

“Can you make it with zero aesthetic charm and have it look like something from the ‘70s and as uninviting as possible? Thanks.”

:greengrin

jdships
16-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Always had a soft spot for them as my uncle played for them in 1920's/30;s after being released by Hibs
:thumbsup: