PDA

View Full Version : NHC Usain Bolt

theonlywayisup
12-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Usain Bolt has scored his first goals for a professional football team, getting two on his maiden start for Central Coast Mariners in a friendly.

The Jamaican eight-time Olympic sprint champion scored the Mariners' third and fourth goals in a 4-0 win over Macarthur South West and celebrated with his trademark lightning bolt pose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45834453

For his opening goal Bolt ran on to a chipped ball played by Scotland striker Ross McCormack, held off the defender and finished powerfully low past the goalkeeper.

He capitalised on a defensive mix-up for his second, with a Macarthur defender and goalkeeper colliding to leave Bolt able to tap in from close range.

McCormack, on loan from Aston Villa, headed in the Mariners' first goal in the eighth minute.

"The best thing about Usain Bolt is he's so humble," McCormack said.

"He's fitted in well with the lads. From my first day even to where he is now, the transformation is huge."

Goals.............

https://twitter.com/CCMariners/status/1050687019502862338

https://twitter.com/CCMariners/status/1050689657686581248

Chic Murray
12-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Could he do a job for us?

theonlywayisup
12-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Heard he's a bit like Boyle on a motorbike.

Ich liebe Deek
12-10-2018, 12:24 PM
He might struggle with the Hearts offside trap

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2018, 12:46 PM
He might struggle with the Hearts offside trap

I don't think Bolt would have caught those sprinting Hearts defenders ballsing the offside trap. Infact i think they're still running!

CropleyWasGod
12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Heard he's a bit like Boyle on a motorbike.Shhhh... he's still banned [emoji2955]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ryan69
12-10-2018, 07:22 PM

I dont think the team he was playing was even semi professional mate.

Sir David Gray
12-10-2018, 08:07 PM

They are semi-pro they all play for lower league Australian teams from the Sydney area.

Kind of like us playing a friendly against East Fife.

I'm not sure the question of him doing a job for us was entirely serious though.

Ryan69
12-10-2018, 08:41 PM
They are semi-pro they all play for lower league Australian teams from the Sydney area.

I'm not sure the question of him doing a job for us was entirely serious though.

Im quite aware of Australian leagues...and I think a closer comparison would be like a highland league team
That kind of standard.

heretoday
12-10-2018, 08:43 PM
The boy's got a bit o' pace aboot him.

Paul1642
13-10-2018, 12:39 AM
Having the levels of fitness he does alongside even moderate footballing abilities would be Lethal in certain games within certain divisions. He is going to blow hot and cold but as a novelty player I’m sure he will
Be good and if nothing else entertaining to watch.

Forza Fred
13-10-2018, 05:44 AM
Watched it live.

Usain Bolt may be a very personable bloke , but he was like a girrafe on ice last night, although he would be pleased with his first goal, although even Makalamby would have saved it at his near post.

The team he was playing against does not yet exist, and is hopeful of gaining acceptance to the A League.

Central Coast Mariners for whom he played, are close to bankruptcy
, and are trying desperately to raise their profile.

Commercially Usain Bolt is a draw card, simply by his name.

Football wise he would not even be up to Cowdenbeath standard.

LeithSqualk
13-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Be like sproule on steroids

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 07:30 AM

It was meant to be a joke. :agree:

Forza Fred
13-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Having the levels of fitness he does alongside even moderate footballing abilities would be Lethal in certain games within certain divisions. He is going to blow hot and cold but as a novelty player I’m sure he will

Hasn't panned out that way.

The time it takes him to get the ball under control allows defenders to close him down....

I accept that the vision may of him being fed through balls to run onto leaving everybody in his wake, but the reality is something different.

One of the statements made about him by the coaching staff is that he needs to still work on his fitness

judas
13-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Heard he's a bit like Boyle on a motorbike.

Boyle is faster

jacomo
14-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Sprinting in a straight line and running while controlling a ball with your feet are very, very different.

Individual sports and team sports are very different (I get that Bolt was in the relay team, but that is a team sport in the loosest sense).

Training and fitness regimes for sprinting and football are night and day.

I think the fanboys might have to accept that Usain Bolt is simply nowhere near the level of an elite footballer.

This is showbiz, not sport.

calumhibee1
14-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Sprinting in a straight line and running while controlling a ball with your feet are very, very different.

Individual sports and team sports are very different (I get that Bolt was in the relay team, but that is a team sport in the loosest sense).

Training and fitness regimes for sprinting and football are night and day.

I think the fanboys might have to accept that Usain Bolt is simply nowhere near the level of an elite footballer.

This is showbiz, not sport.

Agree. From what I’ve seen he looks to have the technique of an amateur footballer at best, possibly more like a guy that plays 5 a side football. He’s absolutely brutal and no amount of pace, height or strength can make up for his total lack of ability.

Scott Allan Key
14-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Agree. From what I’ve seen he looks to have the technique of an amateur footballer at best, possibly more like a guy that plays 5 a side football. He’s absolutely brutal and no amount of pace, height or strength can make up for his total lack of ability.

It’s very possible that players such as Agyepong, Boyle or in past Barker run quicker while dribbling than Bolt. His lack of skill will need to be corrected by a slower pace to enable ball control.

Forza Fred
16-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Reported in the Oz media today that Bolt has actually been offered a contract by a Maltese club and is considering it.

LancsHibs
16-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Reported in the Oz media today that Bolt has actually been offered a contract by a Maltese club and is considering it.

Like previously said, it’s a stunt by a club to raise their profile, locals and people on holiday will go along just to see Usain Bolt and will sell a few shirts of the back of it. It will be like playing with 10 men though!

Lendo
16-10-2018, 06:45 AM
A poor man's Ivan Sproule.

calumhibee1
16-10-2018, 06:59 AM
It’s very possible that players such as Agyepong, Boyle or in past Barker run quicker while dribbling than Bolt. His lack of skill will need to be corrected by a slower pace to enable ball control.

Definitely. Worth a punt for some clubs at a low standard for the publicity but not for his ability.

Northernhibee
16-10-2018, 07:51 AM
If you’re not one of the thousands of players offered a contract by Potter this summer then you know you’re ****.

danhibees1875
16-10-2018, 08:09 AM
He played in the charity match this summer at Old Trafford (can't remember what it was called - Englad v The World with celebs) and he looked well out of his depth there. He's taken the first goal well there and shown decent opportunism to be there for the second so maybe he's had some coaching. Definitely more of a novelty signing though just to make some quick cash.

SChibs
16-10-2018, 08:17 AM

So he could sign for Hibernian(s) after all?

Forza Fred
16-10-2018, 11:22 AM
So he could sign for Hibernian(s) after all?

Valletta is the club I think

cleanyman
16-10-2018, 11:32 AM
You have far superior players in the junior leagues.

It's not doing any harm though and if it's good publicity for the club then so be it

overdrive
16-10-2018, 11:54 AM
You have far superior players in the junior leagues.

It's not doing any harm though and if it's good publicity for the club then so be it

I'm not so sure it won't do any harm. I can't imagine Bolt getting selected for commercial purposes despite being rank rotten as a player is any good for squad morale. Imagine if you were the player dropped to make way for him.

jacomo
16-10-2018, 01:18 PM

Have West Coast Mariners told him to bolt?

ian cruise
16-10-2018, 01:20 PM
I would have to check but I'm sure that Bolt isn't actually that fast a starter as far as sprinters go, the thing is he picks up pace over 100m at a ferocious rate, however he's not going to get that sort of space or distance to do so in a game so I'm not sure he has a huge upper hand over others.

SirDavidsNapper
16-10-2018, 01:35 PM
I would have to check but I'm sure that Bolt isn't actually that fast a starter as far as sprinters go, the thing is he picks up pace over 100m at a ferocious rate, however he's not going to get that sort of space or distance to do so in a game so I'm not sure he has a huge upper hand over others.

Yip. Once he got into his stride he was unbeatable. Not the fastest out the blocks though.

calumhibee1
16-10-2018, 01:40 PM
I’m sure I read somewhere that Gareth Bale was clocked running faster than Usain Bolt did at any point of his record breaking 100m sprint when he scored that goal against Barcelona where he ran through the technical area. Did I imagine this or is it true?

Aim Here
16-10-2018, 01:43 PM
If you’re not one of the thousands of players offered a contract by Potter this summer then you know you’re ****.

What makes you think he didn't turn them down?

Since90+2
16-10-2018, 01:44 PM
I’m sure I read somewhere that Gareth Bale was clocked running faster than Usain Bolt did at any point of his record breaking 100m sprint when he scored that goal against Barcelona where he ran through the technical area. Did I imagine this or is it true?

I'd be amazed if that's true.

Aim Here
16-10-2018, 01:49 PM

So what they should do is play him at left back with the remit to sprint forward the entire length of the pitch at opportune times to catch crosses and the like when the defenders aren't expecting it.

ian cruise
16-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Don't know about that but Darren Campbell is on record saying that at a youth level there were a couple platers who could sprint faster than him, Justin Hoyte was one, but they chose football o er athletics because they could make a serious living out of it were as in athletics you rely on funding and sponsorship.

ScottB
16-10-2018, 03:02 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/en.as.com/en/2017/02/14/football/1487065413_871808.amp.html

Bale the speediest of footballers, but Bolt could hit just shy of 45kph

Forza Fred
16-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Have West Coast Mariners told him to bolt?

Not even the Central Coast Mariners have done that.

A Hi-Bee
17-10-2018, 07:35 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/en.as.com/en/2017/02/14/football/1487065413_871808.amp.html

I am happy with Martin Boyle, he scores goals as well as being pretty speedy.

jacomo
17-10-2018, 07:49 PM

Seems like a nonsense, click baity list to me.

Pace is important but meaningless without technical ability.

McSwanky
17-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Bale the speediest of footballers, but Bolt could hit just shy of 45kphRooney???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The_Exile
17-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Dennis Rommedahl (I’ve likely spelt that wrong) who I think played for Charlton around a decade ago was the fastest player I’ve ever seen. It was almost comical at times as he looked to be running in fast forward compared to the full back tasked with kicking him. I’m sure there were claims of him covering 100 metres in a little over 10 seconds.

Forza Fred
17-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Slightly off topic, but Hibs ourselves, had at one time a player on the books who was later on, the fastest man in the world.

George McNeill, a left winger, turned a professional sprinter after leaving Hibs, and earned the title, but back then the Olympics was amateurs only...other than the Eastern European states, who sponsored their athletes.

If I recall correctly he may only have played in one first team game for us, but was on the scene for a couple of years I think.

What I remember of George, while he did not show enough to crack a regular first team spot...he would be like Pele compared to what I have seen of Usain Bolt.

Ryan69
18-10-2018, 05:43 AM

Surely that would make him the fastest man on the planet then. :)

Forza Fred
21-10-2018, 08:13 AM
It is rumoured that Central Coast Mariners HAVE offered Usain Bolt a contract to play in the A League, and an announcement will be made soon

Commercial considerations are important, but the old ‘sporting integrity’ ethos will take a bit of a hit if he DOES play in the A League.

If he IS offered a contract, it certainly won’t be because of his footballing ability.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Valletta is the club I think

It was Valetta and it is an "open ended" offer which suggests a publicity stunt.