PDA

View Full Version : The evening of 21st May 2016

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
How did everyone spend the evening/night of that glorious summer day? I remember getting back home, quickly changed and out to the pub to celebrate but was so emotionally drained i could hardly speak never mind drink. Actually felt strangely flat. I went home and watched the highlights with a large Scotch and when THAT goal went in i cried my eyes out for the second time that day. I was just an emotional wreck. The Sunday on the other hand....

Lewiehas2
12-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Down on Easter road outside the office drinking a carry-out while the couple of hundred of us bounced on the street, obstructing cars and buses all night. Highlight was when the singing section came with the drum and time for heroes banner. Surreal seeing flares outside a pub and just couldn’t believe we’d done it. Was a fitting night of pure emotion. The Sunday was pretty special too!!

GreenArmyyy!
12-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Straight back to the office on Easter road for their after party then bumped in to all of the players outside Shanghai. Amazing night.

The following day was better IMO though, home for a shower and breakfast then off to the players sponsor morning at ER, players climbing out of car boots, Liam Henderson walking in singing the SJM song with a SJM mask on. Everybody still steaming. Not to mention the bus parade afterwards and another party in the Harp and Castle.

Went out 8 days straight, almost lost my job for coming in blottered on the Monday and Tuesday. Worth it though!

SteveHFC
12-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Back to Dalkeith on the Saturday and spent most of Sunday down leith links.

Wish I went to Easter road on the Saturday night.

Smartie
12-10-2018, 11:09 AM
I got home after the game, then my girlfriend drove me up to the pub (I say the pub - I was stood outside Robbies drinking a carry-out) before having a few at the 4 in hand and then trundling off home.

Leith Walk was a sight to behold as I arrived. I hadn't had much to drink during the day, and I'd been up since about 4am (I stayed at Celtic Manor the night before the game and had to get back from Cardiff Airport).

As the car turned onto the bottom of Leith Walk there was just a mass of people, green smoke, crashing glass and noise. TBH it was one of the highlights of my day, having spent much of my life wondering exactly how we'd go about celebrating a Scottish Cup win - and then seeing in person exactly that.

Leith Walk was brilliant on the Saturday night.

staunchhibby
12-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Spent the evening on Leith Walk soaking up the atmosphere and still trying to take what i had seen that glorious day at Hampden.👍👍👍😉😉😉

Halmyre Hibee
12-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Unable go to the game due to slipped discs and on crutches and tramadol. Had to give my match ticket away.

Cried my eyes out when the winner went in and a complete mess. Not sure if it was the physical pain when I jumped out my chair by mistake when SDG headed in the winner or the pure elation that I experienced with goosebumps all over.

Could not drink due to the painkillers and just sat and tried to take it all in that evening. My wife kept asking me if I was alright as I was acting strange and she put it down to the medication. I put it down to a medical term known as Hibsteria.

My sister who was at the game phoned me and gave me an account of how the day was for her. My wife and sister arranged to get to the parade at Leith Links the following day and using my crutches managed to get close to the front.

So despite missing the most famous day in our history it felt like I was there......or was it the drugs :flag:

Allant1981
12-10-2018, 12:01 PM
i must be really boring, got the supporters bus back and then went home!

WeeRussell
12-10-2018, 12:07 PM
How did everyone spend the evening/night of that glorious summer day? I remember getting back home, quickly changed and out to the pub to celebrate but was so emotionally drained i could hardly speak never mind drink. The Sunday on the other hand....

That's what it was like for me/us in the first pub after the game. You'd think we would all be bouncing around excited.. but I actually felt a bit rough after what had just went on (and the pre match pints).

Found a second wind by the time we got to Easter Road though :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
12-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Robbies Bar. Manager locked the doors as he was paranoid about overcrowding and the police but we just let folk climb in the window 😀 Sing song down to my flat in the Links via the Best kebab house. Party in the flat with champagne and vintage malt quaffed. Unforgettable 🏆

Pretty Boy
12-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Had 3 pints in the Iona then went home. I was emotionally drained.

Sunday was great. Up early, champagne for breakfast and stumbled home some time later. Had taken the Monday as a holiday so carried on the party for a bit longer.

Iggy Pope
12-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Off the train, into what was the Elm, then down a rammed Leith Walk which was in carnival lockdown and squeezed into the Srathmore for merriment, a place that has meant much to me since I was a bairn.

zitelli62
12-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Always thought I would be drunk every night for a week after we won the cup but didn't quite work out like that by the time I got home I was knackered but I had a bottle of bollinger I got 30 years ago and was only to be opened when we eventually won the cup when I drank the bottle and watched the game again over and over still not believing I was there it was finally time for bed not as I had planned this in my head now Sunday that was a different story.

Oscar T Grouch
12-10-2018, 12:43 PM
I went straight home when I got back to Edinburgh, it took a long time to get down Leith Walk though :greengrin
I was very drained after the final, I had a drink before it and that probably didn't help. I really enjoyed sitting on the top deck of the 25 as we slowly made our way through the hoards of Hibees celebrating, hearing the songs and seeing the 'Time for Heroes' banner outside the Harp. I went home and put the final on the TV and fell asleep quite early. Was bright eyed and bushy tailed for the celebrations on Sunday and I got a great spot near where the bus stopped with the team in the Links.

After the 2007 league cup final I went out drinking, watched the match a further two times in Robbies and The Harp and Castle, seen the team bring the cup down the Walk and barely remember stumbling home singing Hibs songs at silly o'clock. Have to say I preferred my 2016 much more.

LancashireHibby
12-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Wish I’d planned to go on to Edinburgh but didn’t want to jinx it. Thankfully my mate drove up (trains weren’t running) rather than myself so I could at least have a couple of beers on the way home. Went out in Leigh for a few beers once we’d got home and had tons of people coming up to us saying how much they’d enjoyed the game - not bad for a small town in south Lancashire! Was home for 11 though IIRC, was just completely drained. Went to Manchester the following day watching rugby and barely paid for a drink as a fella on our bus had put a sizeable bet on Hibs winning and was holding my responsible for his winnings!

Onceinawhile
12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
We managed to get tickets in the ground with our neighbours (from Bathgate), who we went through on the bus with (from Linlithgow), as well as a couple of friends who traveled separately from Edinburgh.

After we go back to Linlithgow we stopped at Tesco and got a carry out and went back to the house with the neighbours for a session and then our other friends joined us. We re-watched the game, had a sing-song and I went to bed about 2ish.

I then woke up at 8 and started drinking again before we went through to Leith Links and met up with the same people (though this time we had our kids with us as well as the kind person who babysat them the night before!)

Carheenlea
12-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Travelled home to Peebles rather than back to Edinburgh as I would be back the next day with the family to celebrate. I drove back from Hampden with my dad, nipped in to see my wife and kids and had some dinner before heading out to meet other fellow Hibs fans in Peebles for a celebratory night out. I sat alone in pub with a pint waiting, got some congratulations from resident Hearts fans who needed to get it out the way, then waited and waited wondering where on earth they were and thinking that this was the worst party ever and should have went through to Edinburgh. But eventually the bus arrived back and they came crashing through the doors in fine voice and it was party time for rest of the night as we shared recollections and moved from pub to pub, probably making a nuisance of ourselves, but it was a great night, but nothing could prepare you for what was to be experienced the next day with the Cup Parade to end all Cup Parades

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Back to the Cask and Barrel Broughton Street Manager locked the doors aboot 7.00pm got wrecked sang HIBS songs all night
My Jambo Mrs and my daughter had been in Tiger Lily for afternoon tea I sent her a text at full time that simply said “Hibees Hibees” she asked my daughter to check the score on her phone last time they checked it was 2-1 Huns
Fair play to the Mrs she was down the City Chambers on the Sunday more excited than any of us she thought it was brilliant!!

hibbie02
I was attending a Wedding Reception that I couldn't get out of.... my own..... :greengrin

I thought I would be safe that weekend...

Stuart93
Got into our mini bus at Asda, took us ages to get back into town & was very quiet on this bus back sure we were all in shock. Got off at York place and walked down leith walk into pure exuberance

Phil MaGlass
12-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Cant remember:agree:

Mick O'Rourke
12-10-2018, 01:24 PM
The only game i have attended Hampden that i was totally sober !

It was a long evening.
Even longer day for me.
Our bus got through to The Columba Club in Blantyre mid morning., as it had done in previous trips to Hampden.

I had been battling what i thought was flu symptoms for a few days (more on that later)
Nearly did not go to Hampden,the way i was feeling.
Hindsight is wonderful,of course.
However,i had a feeling about this game being the one.
We had no recent fear of that team from Govan.

Bought lunch for grandsons and soaked up the atmosphere in a packed Columba Club.

Struggled with the pub lunch and lucky if i had a mouthful or two of lager.
So off to Hampden.....

Had an aisle seat behind the goals in line with 18 yard line.
Good view.
Still felt pretty lousy and even more so when they went ahead.

I got to my feet for the first time when Anthony got the equaliser .only to be knocked flying by a middle aged fatty,twice my size, who decided to run down to the front of the terrace.

Just what i needed !

The rest is as they say is...

So fast forward to the evening of that great day.

Kinda perked up a wee bit, as you would after that, and decided to go to The Clermiston Inn with my daughter and 3 grandsons for a sing song.

Stayed till shutting time and did manage a vodka or two.

Celebration/toasting purposes
We toasted all those family members no longer with us.

Did not make the Sunday Parade.
However,i did make the Royal Infirmary a couple of days later ,after having to call 999 with an acute loss of breathing attack.

So it was not the flu after all.
It was 2 lung infections and pneumonia.
Spent 12 days in hospital.

Thats the Hibernian fur ye !!
I made the final though.

As the old song goes...

When will we see their likes again !!

scuttle
12-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Was my grandaughters 2nd birthday that day so seen her in the morning before going to the game .My daughter who is also a Hibby had to miss the game as the wee yin was having a party in the afternoon. My son in law is a hun so after the game armed with some champagne and a large carry out it was back to theirs for a bbq and much singing and gloating, what a night and to be fair to him he took It like a champ. Any time he gets cocky now all I say is remember your daughters second birthday which shuts him up, and by the way the wee yin is now a Hibby

The Spaceman
12-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Bus left Hampden and with all the singing and smiling on the way back, we managed to bribe the bus driver to detour right through Gorgie :thumbsup:. Loads of angry Hearts fans ran out of the pub just off the roundabout before Gorgie, that was very amusing.

Arrived top of Leith Walk, strolled down in awe at the scenes. All traffic stopped, people playing football matches in the streets, people hanging out of windows, bars absolutely stowed out. I actually lost my wallet once I got off the bus so was upset I might not get into anywhere, but all the pubs stopped caring! Like others on here though, I was so drained from the day that after 3 pints I was done and home!

Phil MaGlass
12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

It was a long evening.
Even longer day for me.
Our bus got through to The Columba Club in Blantyre mid morning., as it had done in previous trips to Hampden.

I had been battling what i thought was flu symptoms for a few days (more on that later)
We had no recent fear of that team from Govan.

Bought lunch for grandsons and soaked up the atmosphere in a packed Columba Club.

So off to Hampden.....

Good view.

I got to my feet for the first time when Anthony got the equaliser .only to be knocked flying by a middle aged fatty,twice my size, who decided to run down to the front of the terrace.

Just what i needed !

Kinda perked up a wee bit, as you would after that, and decided to go to The Clermiston Inn with my daughter and 3 grandsons for a sing song.

However,i did make the Royal Infirmary a couple of days later ,after having to call 999 with an acute loss of breathing attack.

I made the final though.

As the old song goes...

The Clerie, thats where I ended up straight after the game, aahh:thumbsup:

HappyAsHellas
12-10-2018, 02:06 PM
Was sober for the game as I was driving through with my daughter. I remember it was round about when we were rejoining the M8 that she said "Christ we've done it", as we'd been really quiet in the car up till then. Back home and my wife had a quick meal ready for us and then we all headed to Middleton's which was rammed. People watching the highlights on the telly and when the winner was replayed you'd have thought it was a live game - people jumping, hugging and spilling drink all over the place. Outside, many people had a carry out and the singing and dancing was superb, especially when the Time for Heroes banner made an appearance. I will never forget the guy who came in with a piece of the Hampden turf and laid it on a table for people to caress, and there was actually a queue for this. Euphoria can never come close to an accurate description of the emotions on display that glorious evening.

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sharing folks. What an incredible day :flag:

CentreLine
12-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Was on a cruise ship in Alaska having watched the game on the wee screen on my telephone about 8am their time. Whole thing was surreal as nobody on board knew anything about Scottish football and staff wouldn’t put it on a tv. Drank a few drams though to celebrate. Cost a fortune on a cruise ship but worth every penny. Also confirmed to me that I am the jinx

nonshinyfinish
12-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Was on a cruise ship in Alaska having watched the game on the wee screen on my telephone about 8am their time. Whole thing was surreal as nobody on board knew anything about Scottish football and staff wouldn’t put it on a tv. Drank a few drams though to celebrate. Cost a fortune on a cruise ship but worth every penny. Also confirmed to me that I am the jinx

If you spend the next 8 months on the moon, we'll win the league.

Earlydelivery
12-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Was on one of the Tor double deckers bedlam going through but oddly enough quiet as hell coming back everybody in a trance .. then we hit the top of the walk 😂 absolute crazy scenes the bus could hardly get down the street . Back to Tor till yon time , got fone call at 7-30am from my m8 telling me to get round .. the games going on again , by around 10am there was about 20 in his house in Restalrig then down the links . What a weekend that was never ever forget it till the day I die .

yonder1875
12-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Bus dropped us off on Easter Road and couldn’t get in anywhere so sauntered along to Leith Walk which was the same so just got a carry-out and stood outside the Harp, at the Chinese supermarket with a few hundred other Hibernians.

Was absolutely burst by midnight after being on it all day. However, Sunday night in the Hibs club was quality.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Home from Hampden and straight onto Leith Walk with my dad, my brother and some friends. Drunk for three days. Can't remember if I posted on here that weekend :greengrin

Earlydelivery
12-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Was on one of the Tor double deckers bedlam going through but oddly enough quiet as hell coming back everybody in a trance .. then we hit the top of the walk 😂 absolute crazy scenes the bus could hardly get down the street . Back to Tor till yon time , got fone call at 7-30am from my m8 telling me to get round .. the games going on again , by around 10am there was about 20 in his house in Restalrig then down the links . What a weekend that was never ever forget it till the day I die .

Green Man
12-10-2018, 02:46 PM
I had watched the game in the house with my wife and sons. My wife was going out for her sister’s birthday so I dropped her off in town then took the boys home. My youngest was already wearing his Hibs top and my oldest asked if he could put his on when we got home. We then spent the evening in the garden bouncing on the trampoline and singing Hibs songs.

Once the boys were in bed I had a few beers which I had been saving for a special occasion while watching the game again. Then watched the highlights.

On the Sunday I took the boys to watch the parade. I intended on parking at Pilrig and watching from the Walk but decided to drive down the Walk to take in the atmosphere. I turned off the radio, rolled down the windows and told the boys to listen. The street was buzzing, it was like nothing I’d experienced before. We carried on to Lochend and went to the Links where we waited ages for the bus, the whole place filled with Hibs songs was incredible. My youngest ended up on a woman’s shoulders, everyone was in a brilliant mood, we had waited lifetimes for this and were finally celebrating together. It was magical.

My oldest son had been to a few games before that, my youngest was too young, but that weekend was when the Hibs bug grabbed them. We’re all season ticket holders now.

NAE NOOKIE
12-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Didn't get back to the Borders until about 9pm … We all piled off the bus and into the Swan in Earlston and spent the rest of the evening singing, getting pished and playing kick the can fitba in the pub car park until the police turned up about 11pm and told everybody it was time to go home :greengrin

After getting back to Gala I was on Hibs.net, facebook and you tube until about 3am and then up again about 8am to get the train into Edinburgh for the parade.

What a weekend it was :flag:

Haymaker
12-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Bus dropped us off at the top of Leith Walk and I got a carry out from a wee shop opposite the Harp. At some point I was in a boozer because I remember seeing a lad I know from London on the TV crying as Palace lost the FA cup (his Mrs didn't know he went to the game either... but that's another story)

Ended up in the Hibs Club, nearly got lifted on the bus home, had to deal with some 50 year old ****bo on the bus who was watching YouTube highlights of that final to try wind all the hibs fans up and then somehow made it back to my Grans in Musselburgh.

Then... Sunday!

Liberal Hibby
12-10-2018, 03:36 PM
I was with the old man and a couple of his longstanding pals who he goes to ER with. We got the train through to Hampden and on the way back we just jumped on the first train via Shotts rather than risk the queues at Queen Street. Got chatting to a friendly Motherwell fan who was ecstactic the Huns hadn't won.

Had arranged to meet a mate of mine from down here who'd recently moved to Leith in the Cask and Barrel Southside - near to where my old man stays - had several drinks there and then me and my mate (a Man City supporter) decided to hit Leith Walk so my old man and his mates could get home.

The only problem was it was my birthday on the Sunday and I'd promised to be back to celebrate with my boys in London, so had booked on the overnight coach which left at midnight. It only had one toilet and I had a bladder full of beer...

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 03:42 PM
I was with the old man and a couple of his longstanding pals who he goes to ER with. We got the train through to Hampden and on the way back we just jumped on the first train via Shotts rather than risk the queues at Queen Street. Got chatting to a friendly Motherwell fan who was ecstactic the Huns hadn't won.

Had arranged to meet a mate of mine from down here who'd recently moved to Leith in the Cask and Barrel Southside - near to where my old man stays - had several drinks there and then me and my mate (a Man City supporter) decided to hit Leith Walk so my old man and his mates could get home.

The only problem was it was my birthday on the Sunday and I'd promised to be back to celebrate with my boys in London, so had booked on the overnight coach which left at midnight. It only had one toilet and I had a bladder full of beer...

Was it the old juice bottle manoeuvre? :greengrin

Baader
12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Walked into Central Glasgow with my Dad and got bus back to Edinburgh from Buchanan St. We decided to leave the drinking until we got back East. Hit the Cask and Barrel for a few. It closed a bit early that night. Taxi home, driver was a Hibby. Drank champagne and rewatched the match. Sunday walking from the Royal Mile down Leith Walk to the links behind the open top bus was great as well.

CentreLine
12-10-2018, 03:57 PM
If you spend the next 8 months on the moon, we'll win the league.

I’ll do my best. Bit of a waste of a ST though 😉

StevesFamau5
12-10-2018, 05:13 PM
From the final whistle to half way back to Edinburgh in the car... I don't really remember anything. I was halfway through and like a shot it hit me. We had ended the hoodoo.

I got home to Ratho and remember being greeted by my GSD who could tell I was on cloud 9. I wrapped my scarf around his collar, grabbed a cold beer and sang sunshine on leith at the top of my voice while tears rolled down my face. The yam family over the road did not like that 😂😂 for the rest of the night I drank many many beers and watched the game again and again in different commentaries from different streams.

Nostalgic feelings coming over me, Friday night is sorted for me...

Hibby70
12-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Drove my dad and his pal home after the game. Dumped the car, kissed the kids then got a train into town.

Went to Middletons, well stood outside most of the evening with a carryout from the co-op listening to someone shred their hands drumming a wheelie bin.

Was fantastic.

Back up Leith the following day with the kids and my dad for the parade.

SeanWilson
12-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Was with my wife, brother and dad. Went back to the Corinthian initially... Hilarious as that's where they'd booked the rangers 'afters' ... Lots of glum faces and a few free programmes. Then on the train back home with the folks to pick up my kids from my best mate (Jambo) who congratulated me with a dram and a hug then back to the house with all our close family, watched the re run of the game, cried again and headed for bed. Sunday was what it was, on par with the win,one of the best days of my life. I'll never forget my dad at the 5-1 game, refused to leave and just stood at the top of the steps saying, that's it Sean, I'm never going to see this ****ing thing..... Standing with my dad on the 21st May will stay with me till the day I die!

Sir David Gray
12-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Drove home to Falkirk, got quickly changed and then got a train through to Waverley. The journey on the train was made quite memorable by my mate who said in a deadpan voice to a lone Rangers fan on the train;

"Tough day...?" :faf:

Whilst on the train, we booked in for the night at the Premier Inn near Haymarket. We then went round the centre of Edinburgh, ended up in numerous establishments and ended up back at the Premier Inn about 4am. I then woke up about 8 or 9am, semi-dressed and lying on the bathroom floor next to the toilet with chips and curry sauce all down my top and my trousers. I have no recollection of how this had happened!

I felt absolutely awful but still managed to get myself up and dressed in time for the parade before heading back home on the Sunday night.

Best weekend of my life, I would do anything to experience it all again.

My only regret was not going down to Leith on the Saturday night and instead staying in the city centre.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Drove home to Falkirk, got quickly changed and then got a train through to Waverley. The journey on the train was made quite memorable by my mate who said in a deadpan voice to a lone Rangers fan on the train;

"Tough day...?" :faf:

Whilst on the train, we booked in for the night at the Premier Inn near Haymarket. We then went round the centre of Edinburgh, ended up in numerous establishments and ended up back at the Premier Inn about 4am. I then woke up about 8 or 9am, semi-dressed and lying on the bathroom floor next to the toilet with chips and curry sauce all down my top and my trousers. I have no recollection of how this had happened!

I felt absolutely awful but still managed to get myself up and dressed in time for the parade before heading back home on the Sunday night.

Best weekend of my life, I would do anything to experience it all again.

My only regret was not going down to Leith on the Saturday night and instead staying in the city centre.

:top marks

A lifelong memory for you mate.

heretoday
12-10-2018, 06:14 PM
I went for a quiet meal in Stirling with the wife and then we had an early night. I can't say my mind was on the job though.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 06:22 PM
I went for a quiet meal in Stirling with the wife and then we had an early night. I can't say my mind was on the job though.

:faf:

WoreTheGreen
12-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Well!! We were all there, myself (Mrs WoreTheGreen), Mr WoreTheGreen, our son, 2 daughters, daughter's partner, brother in law and our neice - we are all life long Hibbys, been to many many matches at Hampden including the one we will not mention, we never ever thought we would see this day, we were all on edge for the last few minutes, when the final whistle blew and Hendo sprinted across the pitch my son jumped on his dad who was sitting holding his head with the tears streaming, we were all in shock/disbelief, the walk back to the coach was surreal, everyone was the same, in a state of mind blowing shock, we all had a few drinks on the coach with everyone discussing the game, still very subdued, my son bought a flag on our way back to the coach that we left in the care of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on arrival back to Edinburgh, we went to The Cask and Barrell for a few drinks, it was rammed but everyone was shocked, we left after a few, came home and watched the match again, crying happy tears all the way through... Sunday!!!!! It was amazing, we had a magnum of Moet Chandon that we were given when our son was born 25 years previously, we said it would only be open if we ever won it, we had the whole family up for the grand opening, it was hilarious, big build up and...... nothing, no loud pop, we took a few photos then we left for the parade/links, fantastic day, will remember it for the rest of my life, we had a carry out at the links then ended up in The Four in Hand afterwards, what a party, best weekend of my life, would never ever be reciprocated, took a week for my voice to return...

GRA
12-10-2018, 08:51 PM
After the game went back to where I stayed in Blackhall at the time and got the Mrs to drive me to Robbies bar where I met my brother, cousin and other friends. It was a lock out but we were singing, drinking, dancing in the streets outside for ages! Then wandered up Leith Walk found a bar that let us in Jerimiahs Taproom and singing to Hibs songs in the pub. Off to Pivo then back home about 3am. Knackered but up again early the next day to go back to Leith and soak up the celebrations at the parade.

Great weekend. We could win the cup again but doubt the atmosphere will be as good as that [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

birdspotter
12-10-2018, 09:32 PM
After the game couple of mates and I headed for the Corstorphine Inn after dropping off the mates cars and family members.
Spent a few hours sipping beer in a packed out bar with one guy continually on a loud hailer singing "quarter to five, quarter to five, we've no won the big cup since quarter to five" backed by a couple of hundred Hibbys!
Never made the parade as headed off on holiday the next day where I sang about "quarter to five" for the next week or so!! GGTTH

Hibby70
12-10-2018, 09:32 PM

Hope you didn't shout out "Henderson to deliverrrrr" at the end!

hibbydog
12-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Was dangerously p!shed.

Had to go to my scratcher about 10pm.

Gid though!!

Tug Wilson
12-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Nashed back from Hampden in time to go to Mary Poppins at the Festival Theatre. Actually missed the first 30 minutes of the show.

My mum had bought tickets for herself, me, the wife and our daughter months earlier. She had asked if I was free on the 21st May. How was I to know.

Show was brilliant.

Ran the missus and child home afterwards then dropped my mum off at hers. Took a drive around but it was getting late by then.

On the Sunday stood at the Omni Centre until the bus came down Leith Street and then followed it down to Leith Links.

Fabulous weekend.

EH54
12-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Spent the night down Easter road and leith, buying cabbages and throwing them up and down the street trying to re-enact David grays winner..bit of a sore head the next morning!

madhibee_again
12-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Well!! We were all there, myself (Mrs WoreTheGreen), Mr WoreTheGreen, our son, 2 daughters, daughter's partner, brother in law and our neice - we are all life long Hibbys, been to many many matches at Hampden including the one we will not mention, we never ever thought we would see this day, we were all on edge for the last few minutes, when the final whistle blew and Hendo sprinted across the pitch my son jumped on his dad who was sitting holding his head with the tears streaming, we were all in shock/disbelief, the walk back to the coach was surreal, everyone was the same, in a state of mind blowing shock, we all had a few drinks on the coach with everyone discussing the game, still very subdued, my son bought a flag on our way back to the coach that we left in the care of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on arrival back to Edinburgh, we went to The Cask and Barrell for a few drinks, it was rammed but everyone was shocked, we left after a few, came home and watched the match again, crying happy tears all the way through... Sunday!!!!! It was amazing, we had a magnum of Moet Chandon that we were given when our son was born 25 years previously, we said it would only be open if we ever won it, we had the whole family up for the grand opening, it was hilarious, big build up and...... nothing, no loud pop, we took a few photos then we left for the parade/links, fantastic day, will remember it for the rest of my life, we had a carry out at the links then ended up in The Four in Hand afterwards, what a party, best weekend of my life, would never ever be reciprocated, took a week for my voice to return...

That would be this flag then! 21300​

Roxyhibee
12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Always thought it would be the biggest pish up of my life if I could see us winning the SC, but had been unwell for over a year leading up to it, with 2 spells in hospital in March and April, (one on blue light). Watched the Conrad Logan semi in RIE and requested SOL on hospital radio that night which I listened to in the dark when lights were out - weird and emotional.

So, was just delighted to be there at Hampden on 21/5. Never drank at all and after the greatest day ever and getting dropped off by the bus, my nephews, mate and me had bacon rolls at my house and then I took a full car of them down to Leith, met a crowd down in Duke Street, hugged everyone again, toasted with a pint of water and headed back home again.

Was sitting on my sofa with my wife, watching *****y telly by 10pm with the biggest smile on my face. Couldn’t have been happier.!

Got regular texts from mates and nephews til 3/4am ‘living’ it for me. Still got them somewhere.

The parade next day was beyond words.

If you’re a Hibby, it doesn’t matter what you were doing or how you celebrated it, the spirit flowed through everyone that incredible weekend.

GGTTH

SquashedFrogg
12-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Always thought it would be the biggest pish up of my life if I could see us winning the SC, but had been unwell for over a year leading up to it, with 2 spells in hospital in March and April, (one on blue light). Watched the Conrad Logan semi in RIE and requested SOL on hospital radio that night which I listened to in the dark when lights were out - weird and emotional.

So, was just delighted to be there at Hampden on 21/5. Never drank at all and after the greatest day ever and getting dropped off by the bus, my nephews, mate and me had bacon rolls at my house and then I took a full car of them down to Leith, met a crowd down in Duke Street, hugged everyone again, toasted with a pint of water and headed back home again.

Was sitting on my sofa with my wife, watching *****y telly by 10pm with the biggest smile on my face. Couldn’t have been happier.!

Got regular texts from mates and nephews til 3/4am ‘living’ it for me. Still got them somewhere.

If you’re a Hibby, it doesn’t matter what you were doing or how you celebrated it, the spirit flowed through everyone that incredible weekend.

GGTTH

Great post. I guess we all have 'the perfect' celebration in mind.

Tear jerking day. Had my boy and we were celebrating before the game in Blantyre miners club. By the time we left the pitch, drunk the bus home and hugged everyone we were in bed by 11.

Sweating bullets during parade 😀😀

Still get emotional today. Told my son when he wee 'our day will come'

It did!

Baader
12-10-2018, 10:51 PM

GGTTH

Definitely. Great post, hope all that's behind you now Roxy and you're well.

That weekend was just fantastic. All too fleeting. When we equalised I knew we would win it. Never had that feeling before, ever, with Hibs in any match. Something was in the air. The Time For Heroes captured it. I was getting sick of travelling up to see us lose in Finals. After the League Cup v RossCo, which I was pretty sure we'd win, I had no expectation on May 21st just a calm serenity about it all - what will be... Was always convinced I'd see us win that trophy. Still think I will again.

I'd give an awful lot to just experience again the moments from that corner to leaving Leith Links the next day. It feels surreal now. An amazing couple of days.

truehibernian
12-10-2018, 11:09 PM
I could not make the final for work reasons (sadly) and it was the first time I hadn't done a superstitious thing before finals we'd got to, that being a solitary walk round Flotterstone to clear my head and say a wee prayer hoping we would win..........I remember feeling a little 'tormented' that I hadn't been able to do my traditional clear the head walk and thinking we'd lose because of it.

My other half was up north on long-term attachment and had (has) no interest in football and had no inkling how I was feeling - I was in Edinburgh and she was up there, and thankfully I could 'enjoy' watching the game at work without her interrupting asking what colour strips each team played in :greengrin.

Come final whistle I found myself really overwhelmed, something I didn't expect as I'm usually very stoic - but I immediately thought of my late grandad and my dad - both Hibs supporters and both very influential in my life yet I probably hadn't (haven't) opened up and told them that such was our closed relationship with each other. Both of them loved Hibs and passed it on to me. Both absolute gentlemen and legends in my eyes still.

So I phoned my dad a minute after the final whistle and we shared a really really precious moment on the phone to each other, which perhaps transcended the game and result itself. Something I won't forget, and perhaps, makes up for not being there to be honest.

Then I got very drunk and got it in the neck for phoning my missus at stupid o'clock when she was 'on call' at the RAF base and for not returning her texts :faf:

Slateford Hibee
12-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Couldn't get a ticket so watched the game with two Hibs mates and too many huns in the boozer in fife. Refused all bevvie ''as I need to drive to Easter Road to see the cup come home'' Huns offered plenty bevvie as it became obvious we were going to win. Was at the famous 5 stand as the cup came home. Had a sesh and stayed in Edinburgh, enjoyed the parade on Sunday.

WoreTheGreen
13-10-2018, 04:56 AM
That would be this flag then! 21300​

The very one

Forza Fred
13-10-2018, 07:49 AM
I had dinner and a few drinks at the casino in Sydney where I was staying with my wife.

Returned to our room at the Darling, got changed into our Hibs gear and surprised the Concierge as we left the hotel to walk to the nearby pub at 11pm to see the live telecast which had a midnight kick off.

Guess, the question should be for me....how did you spend the next morning.....

SouthMoroccoStu
13-10-2018, 08:08 AM
I went home to sit in a darkened room, gutted as I was convinced I had scored the winning goal

Sincerely

Andy Halliday

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2018, 08:13 AM
I went home to sit in a darkened room, gutted as I was convinced I had scored the winning goal

Sincerely

Andy Halliday

:top marks

Yip! You ****ed it up! :greengrin

Alex Trager
13-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Went into asda and got a sandwich and bottle of wine. It was surreal.

On the bus back it was quite quiet as expected, until we went through Gorgie and a guy gave us the 5-1. The bus erupted and stayed so until we got off.

Straight back to Leith Walk. It was quiet for about five minutes until everyone started to arrive. Then tucked into my pre bought carry out, which was sitting in the car, i actually have a photo of it.

Outside the harp. Blocking busses and all traffic on the zebra crossing.

Folk lying on the road. It was a crazy night.

And it was totally fine. Until about four meatwagons pulled up and the polis all to a man/women jumped out and drew their batons.

Then met my mum who hadn’t been at the game. Spent the night flying between pubs trying to find my dad. Never did. But bumped into Ian Murray then ended up in my mates flat. I was shattered so we went home early doors.

I never drank pre match. And i am absolutely delighted i took that decision
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/2f636de06169eddc453d4b284ee47be7.jpg

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Went into asda and got a sandwich and bottle of wine. It was surreal.

On the bus back it was quite quiet as expected, until we went through Gorgie and a guy gave us the 5-1. The bus erupted and stayed so until we got off.

Straight back to Leith Walk. It was quiet for about five minutes until everyone started to arrive. Then tucked into my pre bought carry out, which was sitting in the car, i actually have a photo of it.

Outside the harp. Blocking busses and all traffic on the zebra crossing.

Folk lying on the road. It was a crazy night.

And it was totally fine. Until about four meatwagons pulled up and the polis all to a man/women jumped out and drew their batons.

Then met my mum who hadn’t been at the game. Spent the night flying between pubs trying to find my dad. Never did. But bumped into Ian Murray then ended up in my mates flat. I was shattered so we went home early doors.

I never drank pre match. And i am absolutely delighted i took that decision
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181013/2f636de06169eddc453d4b284ee47be7.jpg

Are you sure you packed enough booze, mate? You wouldn't want to run out :greengrin

Alex Trager
13-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Are you sure you packed enough booze, mate? You wouldn't want to run out :greengrin

I’ve still got that bottle of Sambuca. Unopened :-) sense prevailed.

That was drank between mates over a day and a half!

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2018, 08:30 AM
I’ve still got that bottle of Sambuca. Unopened :-) sense prevailed.

That was drank between mates over a day and a half!

https://youtu.be/AWo01rn7O1s

sambajustice
13-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Was at a wedding in Letterkenny. Missed everything!

It was awful actually, I was in this strange state of euphoria and wanted to go radge but everyone else was just like "who's this weirdo". There was no one to share it with. Happy and gutted in equal measures so I was!

LustForLeith
13-10-2018, 09:27 AM
I was absolutely steaming! I had a 30th that I turned up about two hours to late, family event so folk thought I’d gone awol with my son. These inconsiderate people who are born round the time that in 30 years Hibs win the first Scottish Cup in 114 years.

WellingtonHibby
13-10-2018, 09:57 AM
We watched it in a basement bar in Central Wellington, NZ. Split 50 50 with rangers fans. The game finished at 5am ish our time and we hung about in a state of dazed disbelief till about 6am. The rangers fans, to thier credit, shook our hands and slunk off. We didn't even really celebrate, we just kept confirming what we had seen to each other.. It only really hit home when I woke the next day and watched the highlights, then the game again. I actually cried when I saw SDG actually did score.

My Mrs woke up and informed me that I arrived home and woke her by jumping on the bed and shouting "THEY ACTUALLY ****ING DID IT!" at her. She was relatively unamused.

Galahibby
13-10-2018, 10:03 AM
i must be really boring, got the supporters bus back and then went home!

Me too 😁 By the time I got back to Selkirk I was totally physically and emotionally drained. I sat and drank a bottle of champagne while I watched the game again. And I cried. Lots! The Sunday was superb from start to finish. We were stood on Greenside Place waiting for the open topped bus to arrive and got talking to to Paul Hanlon's fiancee. I suggested she tell him she would be calling off the wedding unless he signed a new contract... you're all welcome :greengrin

Bristolhibby
13-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Was at a wedding down in Sussex. Got roaring drunk on free champagne and wine. Singing Hibs songs on the Dance floor and on the walk home. Woke up naked curled up at the end of the bed of the guest house with my wife puking her guts up.

Got up early for a full English and walked the mile and a half to pick up my car along country lanes belting out more Hibs songs.

Contemplated driving to Gatwick and jumping on a flight to Edinburgh, but the missus was too ill and spent a day by the seaside in Brighton instead, decked out in my Hibs shirt.

Was in the shopping centre in Brighton and they replayed the goals on the Sky sales desk, and I burst into tears again!

What a day not being there.

J

Smartie
13-10-2018, 10:44 AM
We watched it in a basement bar in Central Wellington, NZ. Split 50 50 with rangers fans. The game finished at 5am ish our time and we hung about in a state of dazed disbelief till about 6am. The rangers fans, to thier credit, shook our hands and slunk off. We didn't even really celebrate, we just kept confirming what we had seen to each other.. It only really hit home when I woke the next day and watched the highlights, then the game again. I actually cried when I saw SDG actually did score.

My Mrs woke up and informed me that I arrived home and woke her by jumping on the bed and shouting "THEY ACTUALLY ****ING DID IT!" at her. She was relatively unamused.

The funny thing about that cup final is that 99% of the Rangers fans I know have been very gracious and totally sound about it. My phone had more congratulatory messages on it from Rangers fans than anyone else. The ones I know acknowledged how big it was for us and on a personal basis were delighted for me. The Rangers fans who were a problem were the ones on the pitch, the ones in the Rangers boardroom and the ones with the attitude on the likes of Rangers Media (and the roasters who get their football fix on Rangers media and would be highly unlikely to ever set foot in Ibrox).

LithgaeHibby
13-10-2018, 11:01 AM
I was with my son at the game, who was 8 at the time. As soon as we got home on the Linlithgow & Bo'ness branch bus, I left him safely in the care of his mother and rushed off to the train station fully intent on not coming home that night. Met up with pals outside Middletons and had a carry out and a fish supper while singing Hibs songs in a huge crowd. Then it was into Tamson's and later Middletons to see the highlights. Big downer when the polis came in and shut the bar during Sportscene. People blocking Easter Road - so what? Surely cars can deal with a wee bit of inconvenience every 114 years. A few pubs later and then back to my pal's house to watch the highlights again over champagne. Crashed at his, back home on the first train out of Edinburgh, then straight back into Leith for the parade. Stood for 2 hours waiting at Leith Links but it was all worth it as we were right at the front, right where the bus parked. After that, stood enjoying the fun at Hanlon Hill and would have loved to be in there, but had to be responsible! Better chance to really go for it the following Saturday at the "seven days since we won it" party. Started off at the Harp and Castle in time to see the winning goal again at 4.52. Then along to Tamson's, doing the "Stokesy's on Fire" all evening with other Hibbies before ending up steaming in the Hibs Club smoking cigars. Dylan McGeouch walked in and I attempted to tell him how great he'd played but was so pissed I couldn't get the words out. He just laughed! On the train home the whole carriage joined in for a rendition of "Warbuton's a *****". Will never forget the cup-winning weekend as long as I live.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2018, 11:10 AM
The funny thing about that cup final is that 99% of the Rangers fans I know have been very gracious and totally sound about it. My phone had more congratulatory messages on it from Rangers fans than anyone else. The ones I know acknowledged how big it was for us and on a personal basis were delighted for me. The Rangers fans who were a problem were the ones on the pitch, the ones in the Rangers boardroom and the ones with the attitude on the likes of Rangers Media (and the roasters who get their football fix on Rangers media and would be highly unlikely to ever set foot in Ibrox).

Turning that on its head a little bit, if things had turned out differently that day I'm not sure I would be so gracious towards Rangers fans. Even ones I was quite friendly with.

CropleyWasGod
13-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Slight hijack here.

Does anyone have a copy of, or link to, the video of the guys doing the Warburton song in the early hours of the Sunday?

truehibernian
13-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Slight hijack here.

Does anyone have a copy of, or link to, the video of the guys doing the Warburton song in the early hours of the Sunday?

This one CWG ?

https://twitter.com/hfctransfernews/status/820919452896284674

brog
13-10-2018, 01:54 PM
This one CWG ?

https://twitter.com/hfctransfernews/status/820919452896284674

That's awesome. I didn't go up for the game, nerves, heart etc. I couldn't even watch it. Went to a golf club in the Kent countryside & hit balls for hours. Had my phone off but switched on about 5 to 5. I had no calls so was convinced we were beat. Due to lack of a signal it took me a while to get BBC site, showed us as 3-2 up but game still in progress! I immediately switched phone off again & walked to my car. Switched back on & as I did so my phone started buzzing & didn't stop for hours. I got nearly 300 calls & texts that night. I sat in my car shaking, my journey had started 58 years earlier in 58 & here we were. Somehow drove home through very blurry vision & immediately bought train tickets for next day. Thanks to our exuberance I was able to see the cup presentation, SOL etc. I really can't remember much of that night, I almost went out to my local but it's a big Palace pub & they had just lost their final. The next day was however just fantastic! Love this thread!

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Went home to Merchiston, gave the wife over a century worth of release - crammed into 45 minutes with a few change of ends, then off to Leith for the mayhem. I think I’ve been home since - not entirely sure.

CropleyWasGod
13-10-2018, 04:54 PM
This one CWG ?

https://twitter.com/hfctransfernews/status/820919452896284674Perfect thanks [emoji16]

SirDavidsNapper
13-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Still can't believe we actually did it. All that hurt gone in one bullet header. Amazing.

Onion
13-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Love these threads. Just remind me to watch the match over again. 2.5 yrs later, Sir David Gray's header still brings a tear to the eye.Amazing day, night, weekend. Perfect in every way.

KingFranck
13-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Spent the Saturday night outside Middletons well inside to start with but then impossible to get served so raided the fridges at the supermarket over the road and joined hundreds in the street singing and dancing all night .
Special mention to the Police that night as we had blocked Easter Road and buses couldn't get down the street. Police kindly asked us all to stay on the pavement or at least one side of the road so traffic could keep moving.
I'll never forget the boy playing the giant wheely bin as a drum his hands must have been numb the following day.
that and the Sunday are memories that will live forever with me.
GGTTH

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Got off the Hibs.net bus on Easter Road with my mate and brother and straight into the Iona. Folk, who had obviously been in there all day, were dancing on the seats and falling over tables, despite having quite a few drinks before the game at the Cricket club, the events at Hampden had really sobered me up, so for once it wasn't me falling about and spilling drinks. :greengrin

We had a few drinks in there, tried to get into Robbies but the doors were shut. Headed into a wee shop on Leith Walk to get a carry out but the polis came in and told the shop owner to stop serving alcohol, so headed up to the Scotmid, bought a case of beer drank on the street for a few hours and took in the atmosphere, there was a guy fast asleep in a shopping trolley outside Robbies. :hilarious

Walked up the Bridges to get the bus home and was stopped by a random Celtic fan, who shook my hand and got his girlfriend to take a photo of us together. Had a couple of drinks in my local before closing time, before heading home to watch the whole match again, getting to bed about 4am.

Took my 2 daughters down to the parade on the Sunday, standing at the foot of the walk to watch the parade with a few friends and some light refreshments bought from the Tesco. Made sure the kids got on the bus home ok, then headed back down to Leith Walk for the rest of the night.

I always thought I would be paralytic after we won the Cup, but glad I wasn't so I could appreciate and take it all in.

I had the Monday off work, maybe my only regret was I should have went back down to Leith to continue the celebrations. I spent the afternoon in my garden, drinking beer and reading all the newspaper reports from the game. Not a bad way to end the weekend I guess. :thumbsup:

SouthMoroccoStu
13-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Love these threads. Just remind me to watch the match over again. 2.5 yrs later, Sir David Gray's header still brings a tear to the eye.Amazing day, night, weekend. Perfect in every way.

I still have a sharp intake of breath when the ball leaves Henderson’s boot. The total suspense despite knowing and loving what comes next

Easily one of the best Scottish Cup Finals of all time.

Forza Fred
13-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Due to recent heart operations decided not to travel back to watch the final.

Time difference meant a midnight kick off, so stayed overnight with the missus in the middle of Sydney at a five star expensive hotel, and watched the game with the rest of the Sydney based Oz Hibs at a hotel under the shadow of the iconic Harbour Bridge.

The Concierge of our upmarket hotel was surprised to see two middle aged and a bit people leave his hotel at 11pm clad in Hibs strips and make our way to the pub!

During the game, was concious of my already swollen feet being painful, especially the right foot, and at one point had to get a 'runner' to go to the bar for me.

Couple of drinks at the pub after the game and then hobbled, very slowly, back to our hotel about 3am.

Unable to figure out the intracicies of the cappacino machine at the high priced establishment, and my right foot was giving me gyp, so decided on an 'early' night.

Taking off my training shoes.....and this was the first time I actually had worn shoes in nine months...discovered that I had actually been wearing two left shoes!

Laughed my head off and felt very relieved that the increasing pain in my right foot was not a symptom of something sinister.

Left the hotel about eleven am in full Hibs regalia and was driven, as Happy as a pig in brown stuff to my local golf club in Camden for what felt like an early morning schooner and photo opportunity !

No regrets about not making it in person....the record books won't recall the names and addresses of the crowd.....but the utter relief I felt at full time will stay with me forever.

ian cruise
13-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Was playing a gig in Sneaky Petes. Was either going to be mental busy or dead, it was the latter.

lyonhibs
13-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Couldn't get back for the game so watched it in my local. Only one there caring.
Afterwards, after a free whisky (anything free over here is an absolute miracle) and bought the whole group a drink. When it came time to pay the mind watering bill several hours later, I had a complete mental block for my pin and had to get the missus to pay.

Thankfully, memory had kicked in by the time I'd stumbled to the cash machine across the road so I paid her back tout suite.

The champagne breakfast on the balcony the next morning whilst still pished was a thing of splendour too.

Gmack7
13-10-2018, 11:23 PM

It was a long evening.
Even longer day for me.

We had no recent fear
of that team from Govan.

So off to Hampden.....

Good view.

Just what i needed !

I made the final though.

As the old song goes...

We ended up in the clerrie aswell Mick.Started of from the spice lounge then rutherglen to our weegie local.

stopped at asda for a ridiculous carry out back to the clerrie where it was absolutely rammed and if memory serves me right the police shut it early as women were fighting in the bar. back to my mates house and nearly missed the parade great day/night

Mick O'Rourke
13-10-2018, 11:52 PM
We ended up in the clerrie aswell Mick.Started of from the spice lounge then rutherglen to our weegie local.

stopped at asda for a ridiculous carry out back to the clerrie where it was absolutely rammed and if memory serves me right the police shut it early as women were fighting in the bar. back to my mates house and nearly missed the parade great day/night

The kent faces (me and others) didnae have to leave:greengrin
2 daft wee lassies that had zero interest as to what had occurred that day were fighting over a "boyfriend" :blah:
They seemed to have got in under the radar (under age) because it was so busy.
Getting others to buy them drink.
(barman's story anyway)

Didnae spoil a good night though
Seen worse in church:greengrin

djs69
13-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Bit of a blur, I was running a bus for 70 of us and it had to move parking spot so I spent last 5% battery texting/calling new location. We were one of last buses to head back, but last on bus came back with massive carry out. Spent the entire night at Middletons , cracking atmosphere the TIME FOR HEROES banner opposite, back to my free pad for almighty party, game back on and , with full Hibs gear/ flag went to the royal infirmary at 12 on the
Sunday before the parade, as my wife was in for the weekend having an op.....she’s a diamond , I was a bubbling mess with mother in law and sister and nurses telling me how their past brothers, mums, dads can now rest easy ggtth....then off to the parade

djs69
14-10-2018, 12:01 AM
https://youtu.be/exenDElBPwo

Carheenlea
14-10-2018, 07:11 AM
I’ve read a lot of comments about partying in, and outside of Middletons. I’ve never been in on match days as always thought it was favoured by away fans, but assume on other occasions it’s a decent enough spot? Sounded good on the night of 21/5/16 anyway!

IWasThere2016
14-10-2018, 08:11 AM
How did everyone spend the evening/night of that glorious summer day? I remember getting back home, quickly changed and out to the pub to celebrate but was so emotionally drained i could hardly speak never mind drink. Actually felt strangely flat. I went home and watched the highlights with a large Scotch and when THAT goal went in i cried my eyes out for the second time that day. I was just an emotional wreck. The Sunday on the other hand....

I always said I'd be hoolit for a week.. champers by the bucket!

However, I drove home to Broughty Ferry. One pint and home to watch the game all over.. I kinda didn't believe it had happened.

weecounty hibby
14-10-2018, 08:15 AM
On the day of the game I only had two pints pre-match, and that is most unlike me for a Hampden visit! The reason for that was that I was utterly convinced from the moment Der hun won their semi that we would win and I wanted to remember every second of it. The Alloa Hibs bus was leaving early as usual but my boy had a football game to play and didn't want to miss. So we went over to Falkirk for his game where we bumped into Liam Craig. Anyway I drove to the usual bowling club to meet the rest of mates, scarves out the windows of the car passing loads of similar Hibby filled cars and I was already feeling emotional! My wife took the car home and I had two pints to try to calm my nerves. Then followed the greatest Scottish cup final in history!
Back on the bus and someone had some booze so had a bottle of beer, but the atmosphere was more of stunned happiness than euphoric. Got back to Alloa and on getting off the bus was met by a couple of celtic fans telling us how great it was.
Spike Mandela and myself went for a beer in one of he locals, bought a round, sat down, looked at each other and said "what do we do now!?" We had a few quiet drinks, went home and agreed to meet on the train to Edinburgh the next morning. I had always told my wife that if we ever won the cup that she wouldn't see me for a week. In fact I was just so emotionally exhausted I could hardly drink hat night!
Got on the train next day with my wife and three kids, met spike and his family and other Hibbies we know, carry out and picnic on the train, a wonderful day in Leith watching the bus go by with the cup then following it the the links.
Probably the greatest weekend ever!
Apologies for the long rambling post, it's just great to think about those days again.

hibby6270
14-10-2018, 11:43 AM
A kind of recurring theme for me as well. Not as mad a celebration as I thought it would be. Relief took over and for me, and it seems others, all rather subdued but inside totally ecstatic.

Train from Kings Park to Central - no outlandish sing song. :confused: Think everyone was just stunned. Sat beside a guy carrying a white plastic bag that revealed the largest bit of Hampden turf extracted from the the pitch that day. Often wonder what he did with it?

Train from Central to Waverley. Again, pretty reserved. Occasional burst into song but nothing too prolonged. Sat opposite a guy and his family who were celebrating his 50th birthday. They’d spent the day in hospitality and looked really happy about it without being OTT about it.

22 bus from Waverley down Leith Walk. By the time we reached the Harp & Castle the massed throng had assembled and my abiding memory of the evening was being ceremoniously held up at the zebra crossing by the orchestrated high jinks of celebrating Hibbies stopping the traffic. Just as the crossing cleared and you thought traffic would start moving, the next contestant would enter the fray and the whole merry go round started up again. Sat there for at least 10 minutes. Might have been longer but loved every minute. Never seen so many jubilant Hibs fans expressing their exuberance. Well, not since about 3 hours previously!! :greengrin:thumbsup:

Got home. Opened a bottle of M&C champagne that I’d been saving for my retirement in August. A milestone in my life I’d been preparing for and had planned for some time. But this was something I’d hoped for all my days. Something I personally could never plan and was totally unprepared for.

We’d done it. We’d won the holy grail!!:flag:

Champers downed just in time to relive the highlights on Sportscene. Still have the recording on my TiVo box and yes, like most of you, have watched it many times.

Next day was surreal. The bus trundled past the top of my street before turning onto Johns Place up to its final stop opposite Hanlon Hill. The Links had seen nothing like it. Exuberance par excellence!! Ev3n if we do win it again, that week3nd will n3ver be surpassed.

Only regret? Just wish my old man had been there beside me to witness it. Sadly, couldn’t be but I’m sure he was celebrating “somewhere” with the “wider” Hibernian family.

CraigHibee
16-10-2018, 04:35 PM
got dropped off at easter road and headed to the stadium to watch the team come back, after that i met up with a couple of mates and got a tad drunk dow leith and soaked up the atmosphere :greengrin next day, up and away to leith links and met up with my sister and my folks and watched the team arrive with the cup, was practically font row when they arrived.

overall an amazing weekend and one i wont forget in a hurry