PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Scotland, absolutely brutal

sauzee6_2
11-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Accepting we don’t have e a great talent pool to pick from, is that all we have????

JXM73
11-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Did it really need another thread?

sauzee6_2
11-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Did it really need another thread?

Not sure?

Did it really need another sarcastic comment???

nonshinyfinish
11-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Ideally there'd be one thread for folk to post that they don't care about Scotland, one for folk to complain about people posting that they don't care about Scotland, and one for folk to protest that they don't not care, they're just not that fussed and would rather Hibs were playing.

And maybe a thread about the game, but that's optional.

PatHead
11-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Then sack whoever appointed him. Clean sweep required at the SFA.

McLeish is clueless. Should never have been appointed in the first place.

HoboHarry
11-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Wasn't it Rod Petrie and McRae who were the driving force for getting him back?

Johnny_Leith
11-10-2018, 08:49 PM
There's regular calls for heads to roll at the SFA, usually after our predictable failures at national level and the complete inability to have a level playing field and consistency domestically.

Yet the staff never changes. I don't expect it ever will, and don't think things will ever get better.

PatHead
11-10-2018, 08:51 PM
There's regular calls for heads to roll at the SFA, usually after our predictable failures at national level and the complete inability to have a level playing field and consistency domestically.

Yet the staff never changes. I don't expect it ever will, and don't think things will ever get better.

You could have said the same about Hibs five years ago.

MWHIBBIES
11-10-2018, 08:52 PM
It's just our negativeity as a nation holding us back.

Get him out and get someone interesting in, with new ideas, a proper project and give them what they want.

When Unai Emery interviewed for the Arsenal job he came in with detailed reports on players at the club(including youth players) detailing how he planned to use them and improve them. That would blow the SFAs ****ing mind. That's a proper manager. No more washed up old firm clowns.

Ozyhibby

Don’t know the level of Petrie’s involvement directly in bringing in McLeish but that performance tonight was much like Hibs when he was picking our managers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc rd
Needs a major shakeup from top to bottom. Bit like ourselves when we got relegated. Can I see it happening? Most likely not.

Scottie
11-10-2018, 08:53 PM
He's an embarrassment. Laughing on the touchline 5 minutes to go when 2-1 down sums him up. We'll go nowhere but backwards under this clown.

fat freddy
11-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Strachan should never have been sacked unless they had a superior replacement ready to take his place.
No one would say that McLeish was an improvement on Strachan. A bizzare decision by the halfwits who run our game.

WoreTheGreen
11-10-2018, 08:54 PM
It's just our negativeity as a nation holding us back.

Get him out and get someone interesting in, with new ideas, a proper project and give them what they want.

When Unai Emery interviewed for the Arsenal job he came in with detailed reports on players at the club(including youth players) detailing how he planned to use them and improve them. That would blow the SFAs ****ing mind. That's a proper manager. No more washed up old firm clowns.
Aye but can Emery play bowls

angus hibby
11-10-2018, 08:57 PM
We should have gone for Slaven Bilic. Someone with new ideas, no connection with the old firm, and did well with Croatia. Always impressed by him when he’s talking about the game on TV.

Billy Whizz
11-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Seriously?

PatHead
Strachan should never have been sacked unless they had a superior replacement ready to take his place.
No one would say that McLeish was an improvement on Strachan. A bizzare decision by the halfwits who run our game.

Suspect they thought managers would be queuing up for the job. How wrong they were! Supposedly even asked Walter before him.

vuefrom1875

Is that the same McRae who was standing behind Sir David when he lifted the holy grail with a puss that looked like he'd smelt gas?🤔

sauzee6_2
11-10-2018, 08:59 PM

Not disagreeing, but easy to point out the flaws..... who should replace him??

Golden Bear
11-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Don’t know the level of Petrie’s involvement directly in bringing in McLeish but that performance tonight was much like Hibs when he was picking our managers.

That's most unlike you to have a snipe at Petrie. Anything, anytime will do eh?

One Day Soon
11-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Ideally there'd be one thread for folk to post that they don't care about Scotland, one for folk to complain about people posting that they don't care about Scotland, and one for folk to protest that they don't not care, they're just not that fussed and would rather Hibs were playing.

And maybe a thread about the game, but that's optional.

I just want a thread to berate the performances of non-Hibs players, rejoice that we didn't have anyone involved in this nonsense and express boredom/a complete lack of surprise at the outcome. Is that really too much to ask?

Glory Lurker
11-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Sacking McLeish wouldn’t solve anything. We need the government to start interfering with the sport in a manner that affects Hibs the least, but is still enough for us to be suspended from international football.

PatHead
11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Not disagreeing, but easy to point out the flaws..... who should replace him??

If he was interested Steve Clark. Moyes or go back on vended knee to Michael O’Neill.

Knowing our luck we will end up with Warburton.

One Day Soon
11-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Sacking McLeish wouldn’t solve anything. We need the government to start interfering with the sport in a manner that affects Hibs the least, but is still enough for us to be suspended from international football.

:faf: Excellent.

I reckon they should get Mike Russell on to it. Bright, pompous, loves the sound of his own voice. We'd be in trouble with UEFA in jig time.

bingo70
11-10-2018, 09:07 PM
I’ve nothing against Mcleish, he seems like a good guy and I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to football.

I think the problem is he’s just not really relevant to this current generation of players. He’s an old guy that’s not won anything I n their lifetime and many of them are probably coming from young progressive coaches at their club to the likes of Mcleish and Grant trying to motivate them the way they were motivated 20/30 years ago.

Football has moved on, players attitudes have moved on and coaching has moved on since then. James McFadden is in that coaching side, I would guess his role within the camp is to try and mediate between the players and the management, I suspect he will be the one talking to the players to convince them not to down tools.

One Day Soon
11-10-2018, 09:07 PM
If he was interested Steve Clark. Moyes or go back on vended knee to Michael O’Neill.

Knowing our luck we will end up with Warburton.

"Warburton's a fanny, he wears a Scotland hat..."

Could work.

HoboHarry
11-10-2018, 09:08 PM
"Warburton's a fanny, he wears a Scotland hat..."

Could work.
A bunnet wearing a Scotland hat?

jgl07
11-10-2018, 09:09 PM
:faf: Excellent.

I reckon they should get Mike Russell on to it. Bright, pompous, loves the sound of his own voice. We'd be in trouble with UEFA in jig time.

Alex Salmond is currently 'available'!

One Day Soon
11-10-2018, 09:10 PM
**** it, here's an idea.

Scott Brown for Scotland player/manager. Not as radge as it sounds compared to the alternatives.

PatHead
11-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Seriously?

Yes. Look at the difference getting a good CEO made to us. Re-invigorated the club from top to bottom.

Gave the manager the licence to focus on the team in a positive environment.

Clear out needs done Billy to provide momentum.

staunchhibby
11-10-2018, 09:12 PM
After watching that crap boyle has made the right decision

bingo70
11-10-2018, 09:13 PM
**** it, here's an idea.

Scott Brown for Scotland player/manager. Not as radge as it sounds compared to the alternatives.

Not the player manager role but yes, someone relative to the current squad is needed.

Darren Fletcher is another example of someone who would command the respect of the current generation and would ‘get’ the modern footballer, I’m sure there’s other examples but Mcleish to the current squad is a dithery old man that’s not done anything in football in a hundred years. He’s pointless and the players will know he’s out of his depth.

eastmainsmsh
11-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Get Scott Gemmill in

PatHead
11-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Get Scott Gemmill in

Not a bad shout.

HibbySpurs
11-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Not at all surprised, we are a laughing stock between the home nations, to everyone else we are an irrelevance.

Our game is summed up perfectly when we look around...

Michael O’Neill turns us down to stay at NI
We are in the lowest league out of all the home nations
Iceland are in group A
We haven’t reached a major finals since 1998 meaning a generation now believes Scotland not qualifying is the norm rather than the exception it used to be
We lose 2-1 to Israel in a performance devoid of anything worth note

We are a joke and sadly I can’t see it changing anytime soon as the old boys club at the SFA look after themselves and themselves alone.

The Modfather
11-10-2018, 09:23 PM
That's most unlike you to have a snipe at Petrie. Anything, anytime will do eh?

He’s not wrong though.

frazeHFC
11-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Even if he did go I'd have no faith in the SFA appointing the next one properly. The Scottish National team is a joke.

JK Rolling
11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Even if he did go I'd have no faith in the SFA appointing the next one properly. The Scottish National team is a joke.

This.

Just to prove the point that we are irrelevant to the extent that other nations don't even know us -

Knock, knock

Who's there?

The Scottish National Team

The Scottish National Team who?

I'll get my coat.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2018, 10:00 PM
lol he's going to pump her

Ozyhibby
11-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Get Scott Gemmill in

Nothing against Gemmill but he would just be set up to fail anyway. It’s the whole organisation that needs cleared out.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Get Scott Gemmill in

Would be my choice.

heretoday
11-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Mcleish has to go. He's finished.

Blaster
11-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Scotland get beat but you still manage another pop at hibs

Remarkable Ozy

Blaster
11-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Petrie to blame apparently

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Scotland v Portugal (friendly)
Tickets only £35 or £30 take your pick
No Ronaldo
If they played the game in my back garden I would walk over and close the curtains

MWHIBBIES
11-10-2018, 10:20 PM
No Ronaldo
If they played the game in my back garden I would walk over and close the curtains

No you wouldn't. Actually not a bad price to see Moutinho, Andre and Bernardo Silva etc. Portugal won the euros 2 years ago.

Smartie
11-10-2018, 10:21 PM
There is no way we should be even considering sacking our manager now. The last game - only his first competitive game - was very encouraging, with pretty much the same team who played tonight.

Tonight we played pish and lost. Big deal, that is going to happen to us from time to time.

We've still got time to do well in the Nations League, then we've got the proper qualifiers. Then we can re-assess the manager's role.

If there is any player who doesn't respect what McLeish has done in the game and does not respect the position of the Scotland manager then he should not be considered for selection.

PatHead
11-10-2018, 10:23 PM
There is no way we should be even considering sacking our manager now. The last game - only his first competitive game - was very encouraging, with pretty much the same team who played tonight.

Tonight we played pish and lost. Big deal, that is going to happen to us from time to time.

We've still got time to do well in the Nations League, then we've got the proper qualifiers. Then we can re-assess the manager's role.

If there is any player who doesn't respect what McLeish has done in the game and does not respect the position of the Scotland manager then he should not be considered for selection.

There are bound to be players who don’t respect him. Struggling to find a fan who respects him.

itslegaltender
11-10-2018, 10:23 PM
McLeish should have been nowhere near the job. He has done nothing in management for years. A dinosaur of a manager who is absolutely clueless.

HappyAsHellas
11-10-2018, 10:24 PM
No you wouldn't. Actually not a bad price to see Moutinho, Andre and Bernardo Silva etc. Portugal won the euros 2 years ago.

Yes they won - by boring the opposition to death, anti football at it's worst.

Ozyhibby
11-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Scotland get beat but you still manage another pop at hibs

Remarkable Ozy

A pop at Hibs?

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Try me!
Won’t even watch it on the box
Would rather watch Countryfile Songs of Praise maybe not the new Dr Who have already told my Travel Club mates not to expect me!

Green Cabbage 7
11-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Steve Clarke for the Scotland job anyone? Would he take it?

MWHIBBIES
11-10-2018, 10:39 PM

Or perhaps winning football at its best?

Hibbyradge
11-10-2018, 10:44 PM

I wouldn't pay to see Scotland in a pointless friendly v Portugal and I won't watch it on TV.

Poland v Italy or even Israel v Albania hold more interest for me, but I doubt I'll watch either of those two either.

Is it grammatically correct to use "either" twice in 5 words like that?

kaimendhibs
11-10-2018, 10:47 PM
No you wouldn't. Actually not a bad price to see Moutinho, Andre and Bernardo Silva etc. Portugal won the euros 2 years ago.I would

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

neil7908
11-10-2018, 10:48 PM
I'm living in Glasgow now and was seriously considering the Portugal game but ticket prices are a massive turn off.

The team have just been given a doing and will lose by at least 2-3 goals on Sunday.

Why would I pay £30, particularly as its a meaningless game?

1875godsgift
11-10-2018, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't pay to see Scotland in a pointless friendly v Portugal and I won't watch it on TV.

Poland v Italy or even Israel v Albania hold more interest for me, but I doubt I'll watch either of those two either.

:agree:

As long as you say I-ther of those two ee-ther.

Either way round.

B.H.F.C
11-10-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm living in Glasgow now and was seriously considering the Portugal game but ticket prices are a massive turn off.

The team have just been given a doing and will lose by at least 2-3 goals on Sunday.

Why would I pay £30, particularly as its a meaningless game?

30 quid for an international friendly is mental. Even more so when the current Scotland side are one of the teams playing.

Wonder how many they’ve sold?

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2018, 10:57 PM
I would

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
One born every day 😁👍🏾

Smartie
11-10-2018, 11:02 PM
There are bound to be players who don’t respect him. Struggling to find a fan who respects him.

I'm a fan and I respect him.

There ARE bound to be players who don't respect him - because a lot of players are dicks and it is inevitable with the egos that exist in modern football that there will be at least a couple who don't respond to a particular manager.

He's had a quiet last few years, that's for sure, but he's done enough as a player at both club and international level and as a manager to command respect of players. More than anything he's the man in the chair - for that alone he deserves respect and it doesn't reflect well on anyone who doesn't show him it.

Fife-Hibee
11-10-2018, 11:02 PM
We'll probably beat them.

jacomo
11-10-2018, 11:09 PM

I suspect Portugal won’t need to go quite as negative v Scotland.

shetlandhibee
11-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Steve Clarke for the Scotland job anyone? Would he take it?if the £ was right he might, would be my choice as well :agree:

delbert
11-10-2018, 11:25 PM
McLeish should have been nowhere near the job. He has done nothing in management for years. A dinosaur of a manager who is absolutely clueless.

Spot on !! Remember when we actually used to care about the Scottish National side ? Nah, me neither !

Joe6-2
11-10-2018, 11:41 PM

And now!

Haymaker
12-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Steve Clarke for the Scotland job anyone? Would he take it?

No chance he'd take it.

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2018, 12:11 AM

I'd go for Anti Nememi

vahibbie
12-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Unfortunately I don't think we will be considering sacking him.....but we should. That was a total shambles of a game in every department except the keeper. The players didn't seem to have a clue as to what the game plan was, if indeed there was a plan. If we had lost 5-1, which probably we should have, he should have resigned.

vahibbie
12-10-2018, 12:15 AM

We definitely will not beat them.

Buc
12-10-2018, 12:17 AM
Here is my daughters reply when I asked, “ how low can Scotland go?

They have never been good in my lifetime so this is just normal😂

Says everything!!

Hibernian32
12-10-2018, 01:25 AM
Possible Managers we could get if Mcleish is goes.

Clarke - Don't think anyone would be disappointed with that

Alex Neil - bit young but I feel he would buy into a project/shake up

Steve Bruce - Dunno how I'd feel about a English man in charge, but beats mcleish

Henry - Maybe could see him taking it if offered but wouldn't feel confident with it being his first job

Big Sam - same as Bruce English man but beats anything we've had the last 10 years.

I hope we are looking for a replacement.

Haymaker
12-10-2018, 01:31 AM
Henry - Maybe could see him taking it if offered but wouldn't feel confident with it being his first job.

Thierry?! Seriously?!

Hermit Crab
12-10-2018, 02:20 AM
Ian McCall.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 02:35 AM
I'm afraid I'm firmly in the apathetic camp when it comes to Scotland. They have been so bad for so long, my enthusiasm is zero. If we were good to watch, that would at least be something, but we aren't. Should we one day have a half decent side again, I'm sure I would re-discover some enthusiasm, but it seems unlikely. It's a shame really, yet that's how bad we are.

Steve-O
12-10-2018, 03:00 AM
Neil Lennon.

Vaguely serious.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 03:01 AM

I feel this is what years of negative tactics and poor football have resulted in. Friendlies are poor because Scotland never experiment. We never play 2 forwards. Or 3. Or anything interesting. Or anyone interesting. It's usually just the same faces. Maybe a new one or 2 if an old firm player can't be arsed. They've been missed opportunities for a interested fresh faced manager to experiment like the bigger nations do.

I think a match between a positive, attacking Scotland side and Portugal would be well worth watching.

Haymaker
12-10-2018, 04:35 AM
Neil Lennon.

Vaguely serious.

He's said international football is not for him.

Yet.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2018, 04:41 AM
Neil Lennon.

Vaguely serious.

Aye right. Gerry Adams as his assistant? :hilarious

bigwheel
12-10-2018, 04:59 AM
Neil Lennon.

Vaguely serious.

Don't want him to go...but would be an outstanding Scotland manager....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwheel
12-10-2018, 04:59 AM

What's that about??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibbysam
12-10-2018, 05:03 AM
Or perhaps winning football at its best?

You could probably say that if they didn’t draw the majority of their games and sneak through as a third place team out of four she to a new format.

Brizo
12-10-2018, 05:30 AM
Possible Managers we could get if Mcleish is goes.

Clarke - Don't think anyone would be disappointed with that

Alex Neil - bit young but I feel he would buy into a project/shake up

Steve Bruce - Dunno how I'd feel about a English man in charge, but beats mcleish

Henry - Maybe could see him taking it if offered but wouldn't feel confident with it being his first job

Big Sam - same as Bruce English man but beats anything we've had the last 10 years.

I hope we are looking for a replacement.

Bruce, Henry and Allardyce wouldn't go anywhere near the Scotland job. The money wouldn't be enough. Failure would blow any chance of them returning to the top two leagues down south and any limited success ie tournament qualification would hardly enhance their reputations down south either.

Clarke and Neil would be mad to take it at this stage in their careers as it could be career ending.

The Scotland jobs become a pre-retirement gig. Any replacement for McLeish will come from that same pool of once decent managers who have nowhere better to go.

mayo hibee
12-10-2018, 05:31 AM
No chance Lennon could ever manage Scotland. There's really only one international team in these parts he could ever manage.

eastcoasthibby
12-10-2018, 05:44 AM
Get a foreign manager in, if not Alex Neil would be a good shout 5 year rebuild contract ....but to allow any rebuild the inept idiots at the SEA need replaced they are full of their own self importance and arrogance. The saying that a player is never bigger than a club, fits with this scenario all of them think scottish football can't survive without their decision making ...aye right !! How can fans influence this . A boycott of the Portugal game a protest at the Portugal game, it's better using this meaningless game at this stage of a campaign than at a game where we need unity and a result !!
Standing back as has been going on for years now has only resulted in us sliding further down the football scale ....
People take a pop at Petrie regards this because we have all witnesses his arrogance and rigidity in managing a footballing business, it's crap, the only reason Hibs are where they are is because of the capability of Leanne Dempster and character, where she has driven Hibs forward and brought success, Petrie has no option to go with it, because it's working big style and if he hampers with it at al! And if it goes pear shaped everyone knows it will be down to his risk averseness, old-school attitude and lack of personality .....Scotland going forward is no longer a risk in terms of making significant change to our structure ..as it's pretty close to rock bottom !!

flash
12-10-2018, 06:20 AM

I would nail planks up too. How dya like them apples?

flash
12-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Not so much.

GordonHFC
12-10-2018, 06:25 AM

Either it's right or either it's wrong 😊

Ryan69
12-10-2018, 06:32 AM
No Ronaldo

Would be better making them half that price and getting maybe 35000.
There wont be 20000 there against Portugal..pretty sure of that.

Onceinawhile
12-10-2018, 06:34 AM
What do we expect when Edinburgh's fifth best Scottish centre back gets a game?

CB_NO3
12-10-2018, 06:35 AM
None of my football supporting mates watched the game last night. I have mates who are season ticket holders at Easter Road and Tynecastle and not one peraon cared. It really is pathetic. The worst appointment ever was big Eck.

Jones28
12-10-2018, 06:41 AM

They did, but this ain't the euros and £35 is exepnsive

Onion
12-10-2018, 06:59 AM
None of my football supporting mates watched the game last night. I have mates who are season ticket holders at Easter Road and Tynecastle and not one peraon cared. It really is pathetic. The worst appointment ever was big Eck.

:agree: The root of current problem. Not GJP's fault but the useless blazers who gave him the job. It's almost as if they WANT to destroy football in this country.

InchHibby
12-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Count me in here too, I never even bothered to see what the score was till the news was on this morning.

Ozyhibby
12-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Wtf??

WhileTheChief..
12-10-2018, 07:35 AM
If the SFA is made up of club chairmen and directors, how do we have a clear out of them?

They all leave and we bring in 12 or so other chairmen from different clubs? Will that really change things?

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2018, 07:37 AM
aye right. Gerry adams as his assistant? :hilarious

wow

Borderhibbie76
12-10-2018, 07:38 AM
No Ronaldo
If they played the game in my back garden I would walk over and close the curtainsIs that really the price?? What a disgrace. Like you say I'd rather watch the Corrie Omnibus [emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
If the SFA is made up of club chairmen and directors, how do we have a clear out of them?

They all leave and we bring in 12 or so other chairmen from different clubs? Will that really change things?

The FA’s in other countries have very different structures. There are lots of different ways we can manage the game here.

bigwheel
12-10-2018, 07:45 AM
No chance Lennon could ever manage Scotland. There's really only one international team in these parts he could ever manage.

Don’t agree with that. He spoke very positively about the role last time when asked about it...I think, at the right time, he would be very up for it...has always talked highly about scottish football..throughout his career...

allezsauzee
12-10-2018, 07:48 AM
wow

I think the posters point is that it would be as acceptable to Rangers/extreme Jambo minorities to have Lenny as Scotland boss as Gerry Adams. I'm happy enough that they have that view because I'd much prefer he stays at Hibs for a long time yet.

Keith_M
12-10-2018, 08:08 AM
...all is forgiven.

Taxi for McLeish

IGRIGI
12-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Two campaigns - Two failures.

One of which saw us finish 4th when 3 places were up for grabs, finishing behind a huddy filled Irish squad.

Famous Fiver
12-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Don't think it is an age thing because there are plenty of successful older managers and coaches.

He just appears totally out of touch and incompetent.

Tactically he looks miles off the pace.

Needs replaced, and quick.

Diclonius
12-10-2018, 08:43 AM
At least there's only one more non-event and then we can forget about this non-football team for another few months.

Carheenlea
12-10-2018, 08:45 AM
I’d liked to have seen John Collins given the managers job a few years back, and he might have been the one to adopt a more modern outlook to the national team and the general set up. I suspect his time has now gone.

SirDavidsNapper
12-10-2018, 08:50 AM
It's quite sad that most people i know couldn't care less about the national team. It's a hinderance that gets in the way of and disrupts domestic football. I'm old enough to remember Euro 96 and France 98 and it was great. Gripped the whole nation. Now, like last night, if Scotland were on TV i'd probably not watch it. It used to be the pinnacle. I don't know what it is. Too many international games/breaks? Constant failure to qualify for anything? Players who are unknown to a lot of people unless they follow English football? who knows but something is seriously wrong. I'd love to get he passion for the national team back. I'm even starting to find folk getting dressed up in kilts and football tops a bit cringy. Never thought i'd say it but even Berti Vogts team was far better than this lot.

Kato
12-10-2018, 09:13 AM
I think a match between a positive, attacking Scotland side and Portugal would be well worth watching.

Probably, but I doubt Dalglish, Jordan, et al are going to come out of retirement.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Probably, but I doubt Dalglish, Jordan, et al are going to come out of retirement.

Bad workmen blame their tools. Hibs play exciting football without players of that quality.

EH54
12-10-2018, 09:19 AM
**** it, here's an idea.

Btw I actually spoke about this before we appointed Mcleish, brown and fletcher or something of the likes has to be worth a shout..least they'll know the players strengths and weaknesses..and may listen to the players and find a bit common ground..

Kato
12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Bad workmen blame their tools. Hibs play exciting football without players of that quality.

How dare you call the Hibs players tools!

Different levels though isn't it, if the Scotland team played as openly as the Scotland team of the 70's we'd get torn every game.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 09:25 AM
How dare you call the Hibs players tools!

Different levels though isn't it, if the Scotland team played as openly as the Scotland team of the 70's we'd get torn every game.

Quality is relative. Scotland have access to guys like Robertson, Griffith's, McGinn and Cairney. All players who walk into Hibs team. They play Vs better sides but they aren't even close to maximizing their potential.

It's nothing to do with playing like the 70s. It's to do with getting the best out of the players available. Until that is done the players can hardly be blamed.

Sir David Gray
12-10-2018, 09:30 AM
At least there's only one more non-event and then we can forget about this non-football team for another few months.

Sadly not.

There's a double header coming up next month.

GreenArmyyy!
12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
I’m only 25 yet firmly of the view that Scotland having a football team is nothing more than a nuisance.

We’ve been utter garbage for my entire life and there is not one single person in power within the governing body that are remotely interested in trying to improve our national side. If they don’t give a toss, why should we?

Normally I feel a bit crap if Scotland lose but for the first time ever there wasn’t a single flicker of emotion when we lost last night. I’m sure a lot of 20 something Scottish people feel similar.

PatHead
12-10-2018, 09:37 AM
The biggest problem with Scottish football is it revolves around two clubs.

brog
12-10-2018, 09:44 AM

McLeish is a dinosaur ( IMO :wink: ) with a history of failure. His only successes were with us when we splashed the cash on Sauzee, Zitelli, Latapy etc & then Rangers where he & nearly every player was in receipt of an EBT. Here's a thing though, there's been a big stooshie about LG declining to play but off the top of my head I can think of, Cairney, Fraser, MacArthur, Ritchie, Phillips, Bannan, McTominay, Cooper, Snodgrass, either EPL or top championship teams who were not involved last night. Burke also declined to join the U 21s. If the rumours about McLeish singling out LG for criticism are true then that's shameful but we certainly won't improve while players aren't busting a gut to play for their country.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Either it's right or either it's wrong 😊

:bitchy:

Good try, but that's definitely wrong.

The second "either" is superfluous and makes the sentence clumsy.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 09:47 AM
:agree: The root of current problem. Not GJP's fault but the useless blazers who gave him the job. It's almost as if they WANT to destroy football in this country.

Who else applied for the job?

Kato
12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Quality is relative. Scotland have access to guys like Robertson, Griffith's, McGinn and Cairney. All players who walk into Hibs team. They play Vs better sides but they aren't even close to maximizing their potential.

It's nothing to do with playing like the 70s. It's to do with getting the best out of the players available. Until that is done the players can hardly be blamed.

I don't blame the players bud. There just isn't a big enough pool of good ones and the ones that have a wee bit quality aren't always good enough either.

No matter how they are set-up or how optimistically we approach games the quality, both individually and as a pool to select from, doesn't exist. Not the players fault.

Look at Soutar last night, a supposed "decent prospect" who is expected to hoof both ball and player for his club but completely lacking the nous and nuance to play in last nights game.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
It's quite sad that most people i know couldn't care less about the national team. I'm even starting to find folk getting dressed up in kilts and football tops a bit cringy.

I think for most people, myself included, it's just the opposite of glory hunting. Failure rejection.

We'll care again when/if we start winning and playing well.

I'm even starting to find folk getting dressed up in kilts and football tops a bit cringy.

I've kilted up for Scotland trips in the past, but I'm starting to feel the same. Folk travelling the world, pished, on "national service" following a group of players who are collectively incompetent.

It seems that some of the TA just love to be patronised. "Look how brilliant the Scotland fans are. They look amaaaaazing, and they go everywhere to follow their team". Then they go away shaking their heads and laughing at how pish we actually are on the field.

Last night the 39th ranked team in the world, us, were roundly taken apart by the team ranked 94th. National service my erse.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 10:20 AM
I don't blame the players bud. There just isn't a big enough pool of good ones and the ones that have a wee bit quality aren't always good enough either.

No matter how they are set-up or how optimistically we approach games the quality, both individually and as a pool to select from, doesn't exist. Not the players fault.

Look at Soutar last night, a supposed "decent prospect" who is expected to hoof both ball and player for his club but completely lacking the nous and nuance to play in last nights game.
The point is we don't actually know if these players are good enough because they're being played all over, never consistently, with the wrong instructions, wrong formation.

A better manager could get more from them. You can't really tell me every team at the world cup or Euros had better players than Scotland? No chance. Albania? Northern Ireland? Hungary? All qualified in 2016. Scotland had hopeless management who couldn't get most from the players so they didn't. That's what it boils down to.

Everyone thought Hibs had rubbish players for years. We actually had rubbish managers and coaching staff. I remember outrage on here when Stubbs was signing coaches instead of players in his first season. Reality is that exactly how it should be. Players come and go. Proper coaching set ups last year's.

Tom Hart RIP
12-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Sad to read all the negative comments about AM. He probably wouldn’t have been my first choice for the job but he did build arguably the second best Hibs team I’ve seen in over 50 years and was in charge for two of my favourite games, the Millennium derby and the 6-2 game. He also got us to the first Scottish Cup final in over 20 years and but for a very good Celtic team we could have won it. After years of derby misery under ALex Miller, his record against Hearts was very good.
I’ve met him a couple of times and found him to be very positive about Hibs.

makaveli1875
12-10-2018, 10:38 AM

We must surely have access to a bigger pool of decent players than Israel

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 10:40 AM
The biggest problem with Scottish football is it revolves around two clubs.

I don't think that's the cause of our failings at national level.

It's certainly bad in Scotland, but other countries aren't exactly overflowing with their variety of league champions.

It was 1984/85 when a team other than Celtc or Rangers won the Scottish league. Since then Celtc have won it 16 times and Rangers 17 and Aberdeen once, obviously.

In the same time period, Barcelona and Real Madrid have won 30 of the available 34 league titles.

In Portugal Benfica or Porto have won it 32 times.

Even in Germany, Bayern Munich and Dortmund have won the league 26 times out of the last 34, with 2 clubs winning it once and 2 twice.

In England, 10 different clubs have won the title in that time with only Manchester United in double figures (13). No other team has won more than 5 times. (I wonder if the variety of winners one of the reasons people think it's the best league in the world.)

So, England have a greater diversity of success, but their national side still fails.

Other countries, with a similar duopoly to Scotland, have won the WC and the Euros.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
He also got us to the first Scottish Cup final in over 20 years and but for a very good Celtic team we could have won it. .

We could argue about sacking Latapy before the final ...

Ringothedog
12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Sad to read all the negative comments about AM. He probably wouldn’t have been my first choice for the job but he did build arguably the second best Hibs team I’ve seen in over 50 years and was in charge for two of my favourite games, the Millennium derby and the 6-2 game. He also got us to the first Scottish Cup final in over 20 years and but for a very good Celtic team we could have won it. After years of derby misery under ALex Miller, his record against Hearts was very good.
I’ve met him a couple of times and found him to be very positive about Hibs.
His coaching worked nearly 20 years ago and is now thoroughly outdated. He has done nothing of note for years and is a failure. The sooner he moves on the better for our national team

Brightside
12-10-2018, 10:50 AM
give it to Gemmil

Kato
12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
The point is we don't actually know if these players are good enough because they're being played all over, never consistently, with the wrong instructions, wrong formation.

A better manager could get more from them. You can't really tell me every team at the world cup or Euros had better players than Scotland? No chance. Albania? Northern Ireland? Hungary? All qualified in 2016. Scotland had hopeless management who couldn't get most from the players so they didn't. That's what it boils down to.

Everyone thought Hibs had rubbish players for years. We actually had rubbish managers and coaching staff. I remember outrage on here when Stubbs was signing coaches instead of players in his first season. Reality is that exactly how it should be. Players come and go. Proper coaching set ups last year's.

I dunno, mate. We've been through manager after manager over the last 30 years with little change.

I remember reading a stat a few years back which said in 1985 there c. 27,000 kids associated with school and boys club football. By 1995 that was down to c. 7,000. Smaller pool to select from means less quality.

I don't think there is any quick fix to bringing success to the Scotland team, change the manager, talk the game up, praise the players be optimistic - imho all that can be done (some of it has in patches) but the reslut is the same. We look rubbish because we are, having the Emperor Ming as manager with the pain of death for failure sin't going to help. If being optimistic and "believing" it can be done how come England didn't win the WC?

We took decades to become this inept and it'll take years to fix. The problem is producing players not bumming up the ones we have or having another manager.

Kato
12-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Did he sack him? Or just off-load to Rangers knowing he'd catch up with him again. :cb

PatHead
12-10-2018, 10:56 AM

It's certainly bad in Scotland, but other countries aren't exactly overflowing with their variety of league champions.

It was 1984/85 when a team other than Celtc or Rangers won the Scottish league. Since then Celtc have won it 16 times and Rangers 17 and Aberdeen once, obviously.

In the same time period, Barcelona and Real Madrid have won 30 of the available 34 league titles.

Even in Germany, Bayern Munich and Dortmund have won the league 26 times out of the last 34, with 2 clubs winning it once and 2 twice.

In England, 10 different clubs have won the title in that time with only Manchester United in double figures (13). No other team has won more than 5 times. (I wonder if the variety of winners one of the reasons people think it's the best league in the world.)

So, England have a greater diversity of success, but their national side still fails.

Other countries, with a similar duopoly to Scotland, have won the WC and the Euros.

I hear what you say however the whole structure of our game is organised around these 2 clubs. Everyone falls in line behind them.

Until the SFA re-structure the game, instal an inspirational CEO with power and appoint a decent international manager, the game will struggle. A successful international team would inspire the game from top down.

Look at our club, we had a fantastic infrastructure but no team on the pitch. Look at the difference now with the flagship working properly.

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Best to find an old unemployable ex Hun who is enjoying retirement and has no interest in the game and get a Daily Record campaign to have him installed as ‘the people’s choice.’ Get a testimony from a couple of ex OF players (each arsecheek represented) to testify to his ‘passion’ for ‘his country’. McCoist has to be next up. Let’s do exactly the same - it’ll be different this time, honest.

I really wish Scotland had no international team at all. It’s the most boring distraction ever.

Kato
12-10-2018, 10:57 AM
We must surely have access to a bigger pool of decent players than Israel

One off game with Israel at home and showing far more appetite and cohesion than us?

"Smaller/inferior" teams beat "bigger/superior" teams all the time. Winning is habitual - as is losing.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 11:03 AM
I dunno, mate. We've been through manager after manager over the last 30 years with little change.

I remember reading a stat a few years back which said in 1985 there c. 27,000 kids associated with school and boys club football. By 1995 that was down to c. 7,000. Smaller pool to select from means less quality.

I don't think there is any quick fix to bringing success to the Scotland team, change the manager, talk the game up, praise the players be optimistic - imho all that can be done (some of it has in patches) but the reslut is the same. We look rubbish because we are, having the Emperor Ming as manager with the pain of death for failure sin't going to help. If being optimistic and "believing" it can be done how come England didn't win the WC?

We took decades to become this inept and it'll take years to fix. The problem is producing players not bumming up the ones we have or having another manager.

Many different managers but all really just the same manager. McLeish, Smith, Stachen, Burley, Levein are all just the same person. Scottish, cheap, boring, unemployed, old fashioned.

None of them were at all successful outside of Scotland. Scotland need a long term, exciting appointment. A young fresh face with ideas and ambition. A sexy appointment. And a proper coaching staff to support him and help him learn and move the whole thing forward.

Kato
12-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Many different managers but all really just the same manager. McLeish, Smith, Stachen, Burley, Levein are all just the same person. Scottish, cheap, boring, unemployed, old fashioned.

None of them were at all successful outside of Scotland. Scotland need a long term, exciting appointment. A young fresh face with ideas and ambition. A sexy appointment. And a proper coaching staff to support him and help him learn and move the whole thing forward.

Good luck with that, I hope it happens but I feel results will be the same.

Renfrew_Hibby
12-10-2018, 11:09 AM
It's quite sad that most people i know couldn't care less about the national team. It's a hinderance that gets in the way of and disrupts domestic football. I'm old enough to remember Euro 96 and France 98 and it was great. Gripped the whole nation. Now, like last night, if Scotland were on TV i'd probably not watch it. It used to be the pinnacle. I don't know what it is. Too many international games/breaks? Constant failure to qualify for anything? Players who are unknown to a lot of people unless they follow English football? who knows but something is seriously wrong. I'd love to get he passion for the national team back. I'm even starting to find folk getting dressed up in kilts and football tops a bit cringy. Never thought i'd say it but even Berti Vogts team was far better than this lot.

I can just about remember Portugal being totally apathetic towards their national team, a long painful decline since the days of Eusebio. They just couldn't care less and attendances were pitiful.
Then came along Figo, some others and then obviously Ronaldo. Overtime results picked up the rankings improved and hosting Euro 2004 helped massively.
Now the whole nation is engaged with their national team and the perception from those outside of Portugal has totally changed.
There are many other examples of this, Spain had a similar situation and in a wider sporting context, just look at Australia.
They used to be total also rans in most sports, were viewed as sporting minnows, but slowly through the 1980s & 1990s they instigated an amazing program through their school system that altered the global perception of Aussies as beer swigging cavemen to being fit, healthy and a major force in world sport.
I think we need a revolution in education, probably not possible at the moment due to economic factors.

makaveli1875
12-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Ian Cathro :offski:

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Ian Cathro :offski:

I think he would be good as a coach. Obviously he was dreadful as Hearts boss but he is very well respected as a coach. He is too socially inept and void of charisma to ever manage even a kids team.

bingo70
12-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Good post.

IMO the most appealing attribute Mcleish had prior to being appointed was the fact he was unemployed. At the time of his appointment we had just lost our CEO so i hoped, and still do hope, he was a stop gap appointment until we get some sort of longer term vision and plan in place.

Who that is i don't necessarily know but i don't think they need to be a successful club manager, it's a very different job to club management so there's different attributes needed. I think an ex-player who has recently retired would know how to get the best out of their players. Ryan Giggs has made a decent start at Wales and whilst i think his world cup campaign was overrated, at least Gareth Southgate seems to have a plan that the players are buying into.

If we go down the foreign route it wouldn't have to be a big name, in fact it's probably better if it wasn't someone who had a glittering playing career. There has to be someone out there though that's smart and looking for a bigger job than just getting into club management where he'll get 6 months to prove himself if he's lucky.

Wee bit imagination needed IMO.

silverhibee
12-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Has GJP gave a interview since the game last night ?

bingo70
12-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Has GJP gave a interview since the game last night ?

Yes, i've not heard it (what's the point really?) but i saw on twitter he was getting slated as he said he was about to sub Souttar for Mckenna when he got sent off.

Mckenna came on at half time though so he'd have struggled to make that sub!

I know people posting on twitter isn't always the most accurate so apologies to the GJP if that was incorrect or taken out of context!

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Surely a 100 % fit Paul Hanlon is better than Soapy Soutar?

His sending off was just basic housekeeping at that level. You just don’t do it!

Or have I just got my green tinted glasses on?

PS

I would definately play a 100% Dazza before Soapy but I have to admit he is getting on

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Good post.

IMO the most appealing attribute Mcleish had prior to being appointed was the fact he was unemployed. At the time of his appointment we had just lost our CEO so i hoped, and still do hope, he was a stop gap appointment until we get some sort of longer term vision and plan in place.

Who that is i don't necessarily know but i don't think they need to be a successful club manager, it's a very different job to club management so there's different attributes needed. I think an ex-player who has recently retired would know how to get the best out of their players. Ryan Giggs has made a decent start at Wales and whilst i think his world cup campaign was overrated, at least Gareth Southgate seems to have a plan that the players are buying into.

If we go down the foreign route it wouldn't have to be a big name, in fact it's probably better if it wasn't someone who had a glittering playing career. There has to be someone out there though that's smart and looking for a bigger job than just getting into club management where he'll get 6 months to prove himself if he's lucky.

Wee bit imagination needed IMO.
Agree with all of this. Even if Southgate is a tad overrated he was appointed in the right way. Young, ambitious, well spoken guy with a bit of personality. Had the u21s before, players knew him, bought into his ideas. McLeish is so lazy, such a boring lazy choice. No imagination as you say.

Scotland is the place where all these new coaches come to get their badges. Can't be that difficult to keep track of a few of the better ones, see if they'd be interested in being paired with a few experienced coaches behind the scenes ( Like Iceland did, had 2 managers, one young and one old to groom him to go solo) and taking over a long term project as manager. To be honest, anything except the usual boring lazy appointment would appeal to me and many others.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Surely a 100 % fit Paul Hanlon is better than Soapy Soutar?

His sending off was just basic housekeeping at that level. You just don’t do it!

Or have I just got my green tinted glasses on?

PS

I would definately play a 100% Dazza before Soapy but I have to admit he is getting on
McGregor can't pass the ball, wouldn't work at international level. Can't play without Efe/Hanlon next to him.

Hanlon for sure should be in there, class player.

jgl07
12-10-2018, 12:07 PM

My recollections are that Latapy went AWOL towards the end of the season?

West lower
12-10-2018, 12:25 PM
The national team will never improve while our club sides employ managers with the mind set of the 70’s. Scotland is full of them. Look at some of our supposed bigger clubs. Guys like McInness, Robinson, Levein all base their tactics around brute force. Everything is in the air. At least Houston is gone. That’s a start but the rest need to go or it will just go on and on.

Callum_62
12-10-2018, 12:25 PM

night on the booze wi Dwight wasnt it?

Anyway, back to McLeish - i genuinely think he isn't all there anymore. I find myself always cringing when hes on telly

Chic Murray
12-10-2018, 12:28 PM
He should never have been allowed back after shafting the national team the last time he was the boss. Likewise, the fact that Uncle Walter was also in the frame, when he had done exactly the same thing, tells us a lot about what is important at Park Gardens.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 12:31 PM
The national team will never improve while our club sides employ managers with the mind set of the 70’s. Scotland is full of them. Look at some of our supposed bigger clubs. Guys like McInness, Robinson, Levein all base their tactics around brute force. Everything is in the air. At least Houston is gone. That’s a start but the rest need to go or it will just go on and on.Doesn't work like that. National league doesn't directly relate, plenty of average leagues with very good national sides.

The national team should set the example.

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2018, 12:32 PM

This x 100.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 12:32 PM

He missed training cos of a sesh with Dwight Yorke.

McLeish sacked him because of it.

Golden Bear
12-10-2018, 12:36 PM
I’d liked to have seen John Collins given the managers job a few years back, and he might have been the one to adopt a more modern outlook to the national team and the general set up. I suspect his time has now gone.

:agree:

However I still think JC could, and would do a good job.

West lower
12-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Doesn't work like that. National league doesn't directly relate, plenty of average leagues with very good national sides.

The national team should set the example.

Of course it matters who is running the clubs. This is where the young players learn their trade. Being taught to win through high ball tactics is not going to help them at international level. We could have Alex Ferguson as national manager, but it wouldn’t matter if the players are being coached week in week out by imposters for coaches.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Of course it matters who is running the clubs. This is where the young players learn their trade. Being taught to win through high ball tactics is not going to help them at international level. We could have Alex Ferguson as national manager, but it wouldn’t matter if the players are being coached week in week out by imposters for coaches.

Those guys are not imposters. They just have a different outlook on the game and it has been somewhat successful for all of them. Would we complain if Scotland won a Euros like Greece did?

I wouldn't mind Scotland being direct, 2 wingers, a big forward, dynamic midfielders. Its about having a proper plan, teaching them it and sticking to it.

It would be nice to play football but we aren't passing Spain or Germany off the park no matter how hard we try.

basehibby
12-10-2018, 01:51 PM
:bitchy:

Good try, but that's definitely wrong.

The second "either" is superfluous and makes the sentence clumsy.

So - it's either eithers or either if either either is superfluous.

brog
12-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Very interesting D but the stats are a bit misleading. There was a 13 year period when only Blackburn, funded by Jack Walker, interrupted the Arsenal/Man U duopoly. Before that there was a 12 year period when only Arsenal, Liverpool & Everton won the league. The Leicester success was unique but the recent successes of Man C & Chelsea were like Blackburn's based on being bankrolled by billionaires. The other major difference in England is that English players are a minority in all the top teams.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Very interesting D but the stats are a bit misleading. There was a 13 year period when only Blackburn, funded by Jack Walker, interrupted the Arsenal/Man U duopoly. Before that there was a 12 year period when only Arsenal, Liverpool & Everton won the league. The Leicester success was unique but the recent successes of Man C & Chelsea were like Blackburn's based on being bankrolled by billionaires. The other major difference in England is that English players are a minority in all the top teams.

I'm not sure what point you're making.

I was considering a post by PatHead which said that the biggest problem with Scottish football is it revolves around Rantic.

I decided to go back as far as 84/85 because that was the last time a team other than the uglies won the league. It doesn't really matter what happened before then because about 3 generations of player have been and gone since then and the league has changed a couple of times too.

What happened before that can't be blamed for the current state of Scottish football which is what I started out looking at.

Paisley Hibby
12-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Spot on. Thankfully Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon got the chance to show what great players they are once we got some decent Managers/coaches in. And look at how Martin Boyle, Barker and Scott Allan progressed/performed under our system. The Scottish international set up needs to get away from has been club managers and move with the times.

brog
12-10-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure what point you're making.

I was considering a post by PatHead which said that the biggest problem with Scottish football is it revolves around Rantic.

I decided to go back as far as 84/85 because that was the last time a team other than the uglies won the league. It doesn't really matter what happened before then because about 3 generations of player have been and gone since then and the league has changed a couple of times too.

What happened before that can't be blamed for the current state of Scottish football which is what I started out looking at.

I only meant that the fact that 10 different teams have won the top league in the last 34 years is a bit misleading in that within those 34 years there have been lengthy periods where only 2 or 3 teams have won the league. In other words the top English League is nowhere near as competitive as they would have us believe. It wasn't a criticism, only a comment.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2018, 10:08 PM
I only meant that the fact that 10 different teams have won the top league in the last 34 years is a bit misleading in that within those 34 years there have been lengthy periods where only 2 or 3 teams have won the league. In other words the top English League is nowhere near as competitive as they would have us believe. It wasn't a criticism, only a comment.

That was a bi-product of my research into the other leagues, but no matter what way you want to look at it, since 84/85 the English league has been more competitive than the 4 other leagues I highlighted, all of which have had lengthy periods of only 2 teams winning.

For further comparison, the French league has also had 10 winners in that time, 3 of which had "done a Leicester" and won it for the first and only time, but no-one really rates it for some reason.

The Dutch have enjoyed 5 different winners with Twenty winning their only title.

SChibs
13-10-2018, 06:33 AM

To be honest England aside the opposition doesn't really come into it when deciding to go to a Scotland game for me. Not really bothered about what players the opposition have I go to see Scotland. I get that people may feel differently but I just don't care enough about football out with Hibs and to a lesser extent Scotland.

Hibernia&Alba
13-10-2018, 07:47 AM
I think the posters point is that it would be as acceptable to Rangers/extreme Jambo minorities to have Lenny as Scotland boss as Gerry Adams. I'm happy enough that they have that view because I'd much prefer he stays at Hibs for a long time yet.

I'm glad you're quick on the uptake, mate. That was exactly my point: there is zero chance Neil Lennon would ever be offered the Scotland job. He could win the treble for Hibs and still wouldn't be approached; the backlash would be horrendous.

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 08:18 AM

It takes time to build an International team these days, wee Gordon was just getting there when he got papped. I doubt we'll get anywhere if we keep sacking the manager.

FWIW I wouldn't have brought back judas after ditching us the last time. By that I mean Scotland, not Hibs.

tamig
13-10-2018, 09:25 AM
It takes time to build an International team these days, wee Gordon was just getting there when he got papped. I doubt we'll get anywhere if we keep sacking the manager.

FWIW I wouldn't have brought back judas after ditching us the last time. By that I mean Scotland, not Hibs.

I don’t get this dewey eyed view of Strachan’s last days in charge. He was still picking his tried and tested English Championship failures at the expense of emerging talent. A new man with new ideas is whats needed. Not another one of the old school.

LustForLeith
13-10-2018, 09:29 AM
I really think that it’ll be generations before the damage done to the Scottish intentional game can be fixed. By which point most other countries will have improved from there they are

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 09:38 AM
I don’t get this dewey eyed view of Strachan’s last days in charge. He was still picking his tried and tested English Championship failures at the expense of emerging talent. A new man with new ideas is whats needed. Not another one of the old school.

It's all very well saying a new man with new ideas, we're living in the real world here, and it's Scotland we're talking about. We have no world class players to choose from and it's a thankless task managing Scotland if you ask me.

You're always going to get fans unhappy with team selection and the paper hacks on your back etc. Do you have anyone in mind to implement these new ideas and pick emerging talent? How did Bertie work out?

It was my opinion Strachan was turning the corner, nothing dewey eyed about it.

tamig
13-10-2018, 10:21 AM
It's all very well saying a new man with new ideas, we're living in the real world here, and it's Scotland we're talking about. We have no world class players to choose from and it's a thankless task managing Scotland if you ask me.

You're always going to get fans unhappy with team selection and the paper hacks on your back etc. Do you have anyone in mind to implement these new ideas and pick emerging talent? How did Bertie work out?

Bertie wasn’t great but there are plenty other coaches out there. The biggest gripe I have with the SFA is this constant harking back to the past. McLeish was out of the game for a while before he got the call. They considered Uncle Watty before him. WTF was that anout? I wouldn’t mind if they looked overseas again. Just because it failed once doesn’t mean you’d fail again. The Scottish national scene is all very drab and insular imo.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Why does it have to be a world class player? Or a household name? Why not something outside the box, something that takes a little imagination.

Implement a proper long term plan. Experienced coach paired with new coach. Experienced coach who has achieved success at international level(Lars largerback was used by Iceland) paired with someone young and interesting with new ideas. Proper coaching staff behind them. Proper scouts watching players every week, building a squad. Young players being used. Interaction between the youth teams. All levels playing the same way.

To win at international level takes alot more than some washed up manager like Strachan or McLeish coming in, picking their favourites, failing by a few points, starting the next campaign poorly, sacked and repeat.

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Why does it have to be a world class player? Or a household name? Why not something outside the box, something that takes a little imagination.

Implement a proper long term plan. Experienced coach paired with new coach. Experienced coach who has achieved success at international level(Lars largerback was used by Iceland) paired with someone young and interesting with new ideas. Proper coaching staff behind them. Proper scouts watching players every week, building a squad. Young players being used. Interaction between the youth teams. All levels playing the same way.

To win at international level takes alot more than some washed up manager like Strachan or McLeish coming in, picking their favourites, failing by a few points, starting the next campaign poorly, sacked and repeat.

I don't know what the answer is, but i do know sacking the manager every couple of years isn't going to work.

The sad fact is no manager will get the proper time needed to do anything constructive and build a decent long term squad. It's the nature of the beast here in Scotland.

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Bertie wasn’t great but there are plenty other coaches out there. The biggest gripe I have with the SFA is this constant harking back to the past. McLeish was out of the game for a while before he got the call. They considered Uncle Watty before him. WTF was that anout? I wouldn’t mind if they looked overseas again. Just because it failed once doesn’t mean you’d fail again. The Scottish national scene is all very drab and insular imo.

Can't argue with any of that :aok:

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2018, 10:49 AM
I don't know what the answer is, but i do know sacking the manager every couple of years isn't going to work.

The sad fact is no manager will get the proper time needed to do anything constructive and build a decent long term squad. It's the nature of the beast here in Scotland.
Giving McLeish 5 years won't make any difference unless they have a proper plan.

A manager will be giving time if it appears he has plans, shows progress, says the right things, works on a proper team and tactics. Makes the team entertaining.

Stubbs wasn't perfect at Hibs but he made good signings, had a proper coaching staff, played good football. He made people fall in love with the club again. Scotland need similar.

judas
13-10-2018, 11:16 AM
My suggestion is that we honour our planned fixtures and then withdraw the national team from all play for the next 5 years.

Then we can focus all resources on club football and child development.

G B Young
13-10-2018, 11:18 AM

What evidence was there that he was turning the corner? Granted the campaign when he took over was all but a write-off thanks to Levein's incompetence, but in his subsequent two campaigns we failed to even secure a play-off spot, despite Euro 2016 being expanded to make qualifying easier. Our 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign was over almost as soon as it began thanks to a disastrous start.

I remember back in 2008 after we reached 10 years without qualifying for anything we got the Henry McLeish report which led. among other recommendations, to the introduction of a new performance strategy for youth football. Now that another decade has gone by with no sign of improvement perhaps it's time to consider that there's actually no hidden formula just waiting to be discovered and accept that we are what we are - a low-ranked minnow of the world game.

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Giving McLeish 5 years won't make any difference unless they have a proper plan.

A manager will be giving time if it appears he has plans, shows progress, says the right things, works on a proper team and tactics. Makes the team entertaining.

Stubbs wasn't perfect at Hibs but he made good signings, had a proper coaching staff, played good football. He made people fall in love with the club again. Scotland need similar.

I personally wouldn't have given Mcleish the gig in the first place, as for Strachan? he was showing signs of improvement and getting us playing some attractive stuff again, all only my opinion of course.

As for Stubbsy? Legend is all I have to say about the man :wink:

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 11:24 AM
What evidence was there that he was turning the corner? Granted the campaign when he took over was all but a write-off thanks to Levein's incompetence, but in his subsequent two campaigns we failed to even secure a play-off spot, despite Euro 2016 being expanded to make qualifying easier. Our 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign was over almost as soon as it began thanks to a disastrous start.

I remember back in 2008 after we reached 10 years without qualifying for anything we got the Henry McLeish report which led. among other recommendations, to the introduction of a new performance strategy for youth football. Now that another decade has gone by with no sign of improvement perhaps it's time to consider that there's actually no hidden formula just waiting to be discovered and accept that we are what we are - a low-ranked minnow of the world game.
No evidence, just my opinion. We were seconds away from beating a strong England side, I'm sure that would have seen us qualify for the play offs. No manager can legislate for individual player errors.

brog
13-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Couldn't agree more. There are over 50 Scottish players who are currently regulars in the top 2 English leagues. Surely we could pick a team from them thats better than the garbage we watched on Thursday.

LithgaeHibby
13-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Just a throwaway aside, but I think Hibs at top form, with Lennon on the sidelines, would have comfortably put away Israel on Thursday night.

Bangkok Hibby
13-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Change the National anthem and all will be well. Get rid of that pathetic, backward thinking dirge about fighting our closest neighbours and bring in something like Scotland the Brave. Billy Connolly was right, in fact appoint him as manager....sorted :agree::wink:

Benny Brazil
13-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Devlin Christie and GMS called up for the Portugal game

BH Hibs
13-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Great more ***** from Aberdeen. Just **** off Scotland.

bingo70
13-10-2018, 05:54 PM

I’d never heard of Michael Devlin until he was sent off against Killie.

Is he a youngster that’s just broken through? What position is he?

Callum_62
13-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Centre half.

BH Hibs
13-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Centre Half mate ex Hamilton.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2018, 06:02 PM

25 year old centre half. He signed for Aberdeen in the summer from Hamilton. He hadn't played for over a year after he got a serious knee injury in May 2017, he missed the whole of last season.

Saturday Boy
13-10-2018, 06:10 PM
25 year old centre half. He signed for Aberdeen in the summer from Hamilton. He hadn't played for over a year after he got a serious knee injury in May 2017, he missed the whole of last season.

Sounds like a good choice for a game against Portugal. Worth the £35 admission alone.

I’ll be at the big game tomorrow: Hibs v. Glasgow City semi final at Forthbank.

Onceinawhile
13-10-2018, 06:44 PM
To be fair, it's not like the team second in the league (5 places above Aberdeen) and having conceded less goals them, have any Scottish centre backs or defenders available who are already comfortable in a back 5.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2018, 07:10 PM
To be fair, it's not like the team second in the league (5 places above Aberdeen) and having conceded less goals them, have any Scottish centre backs or defenders available who are already comfortable in a back 5.

Have they got any eligible centre backs who aren't injured?

Sir David Gray
13-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Which Hibs centre halves would you suggest play tomorrow night?

Paul Hanlon hasn't played for almost 3 weeks through injury, Darren McGregor hasn't played for 3 months through injury and Ryan Porteous is playing for the under 21s.

cabbageandribs1875
13-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Holland 1 Germany 0

Rep of oirland 0 Denmark 0

Zazu62
13-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Has Gary Mackay-Steven been called up? Yet big eck didn’t want Martin Boyle?

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Biggest surprise (genuinely) about this thread is that people still care enough for it to run to seven pages. I suspect it's all due to the domestic break in football.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Sparky withdrew

Four players withdrew yesterday

One of them another high profile Celtic player that needed a rest?

Whats going on?

Something not ringing true!

:dunno:

Hibbyradge
14-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Sparky withdrew

Four players withdrew yesterday

One of them another high profile Celtic player that needed a rest?

Whats going on?

Something not ringing true!

:dunno:

They, or their clubs, don't want them to risk injury in a pointless friendly, particularly if they're already carrying a knock.

These games are exactly what the Nations League is supposed to reduce.

WeeRussell
14-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Biggest surprise (genuinely) about this thread is that people still care enough for it to run to seven pages. I suspect it's all due to the domestic break in football.

Don’t worry, it’s not 7 pages of people caring. It’s also largely down to hilariously witty posts like yours saying they don’t.