PDA

View Full Version : Gazza KB'd

Dashing Bob S
11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Nomination for hall of fame withdrawn as some SFA officials threaten to boycott.

So a victory for those who see him as a racist, sectarian wife beater and sex pest, and a defeat for those who see him as a troubled, mentally ill victim.

I'll split the difference and go for both.

Sylar
11-10-2018, 06:05 PM
His mental illness may well be an explanatory factor for a lot of his behaviour, but i dont believe it can explain away some of the things he’s done.

On a footballing level, his nomination was well merited, but if its based on complete character, it’s probably the correct call.

Carheenlea
11-10-2018, 06:08 PM
He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but this is a shoddy and insulting way to treat anyone. The blazers just stumble from one circus to another.

jgl07
11-10-2018, 06:25 PM
I can forgive Gascoigne for a lot given his sparkling play at Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio. But I cannot forgive him for trying to tempt Raoul Moat out of his police stand-off with a fishing rod and a pack of sandwiches or for signing for Rangers!

Tomsk
11-10-2018, 06:26 PM
I agree with the decision to revoke his award. It should never have happened in the first place.

Famous Fiver
11-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Time for him to wave another yellow card to Officialdom!

Keith_M
11-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Nomination for hall of fame withdrawn as some SFA officials threaten to boycott.

So a victory for those who see him as a racist, sectarian wife beater and sex pest, and a defeat for those who see him as a troubled, mentally ill victim.

I'll split the difference and go for both.

Good!

Oh and maybe we can just describe him as a mentally ill, drunken, racist, sectarian, wife-beater and sex pest.

I'm sure Charles Manson was mentally ill as well.....

SirDavidsNapper
11-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Fantastic news

Lago
11-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Best result all round.

11-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Correct decision but should never have got to this.
By his nomination in the first place it shows that the criteria for being awarded this accolade is flawed.

Only Scottish Football would have a open vote to supporters to nominate who should be inducted.
Who get's the vote next year?
Nothing to stop all the Hertz fans voting for Vlad Romanov and getting him inducted.

RyeSloan
11-10-2018, 07:24 PM
By his nomination in the first place it shows that the criteria for being awarded this accolade is flawed.

Only Scottish Football would have a open vote to supporters to nominate who should be inducted.
Nothing to stop all the Hertz fans voting for Vlad Romanov and getting him inducted.

Just par for the course for Scottish Football.

To be honest though I’m quite impressed by how they forever manage to dream up news ways to look incompetent...shows they are at least good at something [emoji12]

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Getting periodically dragged out and getting put on show is not doing him or anyone else any good.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Boaty Mcboatface will get the popular vote ;)

Smartie
11-10-2018, 07:44 PM
If a place in the hall of fame is anything whatsoever to do with a footballing contribution then he is as deserving as many. Look at the list - there are a good few flawed characters/ erses in there already.

If it's the Mary Poppins award for an all-round good person then he shouldn't be in there - but you should probably go removing half the people who already are.

Scottish football's ability to make a fool of itself continues to astound me.

SFA officials threaten to boycott? I wonder who and why, and whether this was a missed opportunity to dispense with a few blazer-clad numpties?

I have no respect for Paul Gascoigne the person but plenty for Paul Gascoigne the footballer, and sometimes you need to separate the two.

Tomsk
11-10-2018, 08:59 PM
The SFA can't even get their lies straight. The bigoted wife-beater will not get an award because he's ill. So, you have to be in tip-top condition to get your award? What about the ones who got an award who are dead? :confused:

Geo_1875
11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
I'd have more respect for them if they'd said they were withdrawing his nomination because he didn't contribute enough to Scottish football to be recognised as a Hall of Famer.

Smartie
11-10-2018, 09:39 PM
I'd have more respect for them if they'd said they were withdrawing his nomination because he didn't contribute enough to Scottish football to be recognised as a Hall of Famer.

That's a perfectly valid reason, and can be backed up by the relatively low number of games he actually played in Scotland.

He was pretty good in those games though.

wpj
11-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Would have been better to look at it in detail before awarding a hall of fame place then deciding it was a non starter and dragging it all up again. The evidence was always there and I seriously doubt PG or his family needed it all brought up again. Very poor all round.

Northernhibee
12-10-2018, 06:28 AM
I’m sorry but this is the worst all round result

It doesn’t excuse his nomination to begin with and it shows they don’t even have the courage of their own convictions.

The issues surrounding his nomination are well known.

Centre Hawf
12-10-2018, 07:21 AM
I actually feel somewhat sorry for Gazza. Should never have been nominated and now he’s being slated left right and centre, all of it justified btw. But did Gazza ask for any of this or have the SFA just heaped a whole lot more unnecessary stress on a guy who clearly has issues to deal with daily? A bit silly considering mental health awareness day was just two days ago.

heretoday
12-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Classic Scottish football stushie. Moralistic, self-righteous types getting up on their hind legs and spouting nonsense. I love it.

Winston Ingram
12-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Another SFA shambles

Carheenlea
12-10-2018, 08:48 AM
I actually feel somewhat sorry for Gazza. Should never have been nominated and now he’s being slated left right and centre, all of it justified btw. But did Gazza ask for any of this or have the SFA just heaped a whole lot more unnecessary stress on a guy who clearly has issues to deal with daily? A bit silly considering mental health awareness day was just two days ago.

Spot on :agree:

Speedy
12-10-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm not convinced he deserves it on footballing merit.

Two good seasons but he's mostly remembered for playing an invisible flute and for his goal against Scotland.

basehibby
12-10-2018, 09:33 AM
If a place in the hall of fame is anything whatsoever to do with a footballing contribution then he is as deserving as many. Look at the list - there are a good few flawed characters/ erses in there already.

If it's the Mary Poppins award for an all-round good person then he shouldn't be in there - but you should probably go removing half the people who already are.

SFA officials threaten to boycott? I wonder who and why, and whether this was a missed opportunity to dispense with a few blazer-clad numpties?

I have no respect for Paul Gascoigne the person but plenty for Paul Gascoigne the footballer, and sometimes you need to separate the two.

:top marksAbsolutely this.

There are separate awards for being a stand up member of society - I thought the Scottish Football Hall of Fame was about being famous for playing football in Scotland (the clue is in the title). Gazza - tragically flawed character though he undoubtably is - was a fantastic and thoroughly entertaining footballer and 100% qualifies in my book.

On the goody two shoes criteria being touted here there would be no place for the likes of George Best - or Maradona if had ever played here - nonsense!

Famous Fiver
12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Interesting that George Best is now brought into the discussion.

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.

Iggy Pope
12-10-2018, 11:16 AM

In my opinion, he just lived his life differently from most of the rest of us, and, as far as I m aware, was fairly law abiding.

Agreed. Hopeless alcoholic, footballing God. As iconic as Pele. Much loved and a nice bloke.

Pretty Boy
12-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Best wasn't shy about raising his fists to women either according to at least one of his ex partners. That rarely seems to merit a mention though.

I suppose Best has checked out now, which is always a good way to ensure a bit of a character rehabilitation.

Hibs Class
12-10-2018, 11:24 AM
They're not taking it too well on the rangers media forum

Itsnoteasy
12-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Best wasn't shy about raising his fists to women either according to at least one of his ex partners. That rarely seems to merit a mention though.

I suppose Best has checked out now, which is always a good way to ensure a bit of a character rehabilitation.

And Marvin Bartley found guilty of threatening to ruin a females life, as she was going to spill the beans to his bird about their affair.

lyonhibs
12-10-2018, 11:26 AM
He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but this is a shoddy and insulting way to treat anyone. The blazers just stumble from one circus to another.

Exactly this. What a ****ty way to treat the man, out in the public eye as well.

heid the baw
12-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Erse yes, bigot no.

Iggy Pope
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM
And Marvin Bartley found guilty of threatening to ruin a females life, as she was going to spill the beans to his bird about their affair.

Is Marvin getting inducted into the Hall of Fame? Such whataboutery prevailing on this topic.

theonlywayisup
12-10-2018, 11:47 AM
What a shambles!

I couldn't believe that Gazza was ever considered for such an accolade, when his best known goal came in a vital Euro 96 game playing against Scotland for the Auld Enemy. I could understand if it was the Scottish League doing this, to respect those who did great acts to promote the Scottish Leagues. But an Englishman who's best known for a goal against Scotland.

Chic Murray
12-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Classic Scottish football stushie. Moralistic, self-righteous types getting up on their hind legs and spouting nonsense. I love it.

:agree::agree:

The double standards on display reassure me that traditional values still hold firm.

Interesting to note how many psychiatrists, and psychologists contribute to Hibs.net, by the way - amazing what you can learn by reading the tabloids, and adapting a concerned countenance.

I wonder how many of you would feel comfortable saying his weight loss is due to cancer? The sad fact is, none of us know what's going on in that guy's head, it's bad form to discuss it in such an offhand and uninformed way.

I don't know why he was nominated anyway. That entire Rangers team was full of outstanding internationalists.

He did do time in jail.

ancient hibee
12-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Another SFA shambles

Total tosh.Nothing to do with the SFA.The panel choosing the nominees is made up of football journalists/media and nominations can be made by the public or discussions by the panel.In fact it’s SFA people who have brought about the withdrawal of the nomination .Still don’t let facts get in the way.

Crazyhorse
12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Exactly. Is there any evidence that George ever assaulted any of the numerous women who enjoyed his company? Or indeed anyone for that matter?

Chic Murray
12-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Exactly. Is there any evidence that George ever assaulted any of the numerous women who enjoyed his company? Or indeed anyone for that matter?

Sadly, there would appear to be more than a suspicion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/donotmigrate/3642194/I-loved-him-despite-everything.html

OsloHibs
12-10-2018, 04:17 PM
The statement was very poor I thought. He's not getting it because of his 'health'.. Why would anyone think it was ok to say this?

Itsnoteasy
12-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Is Marvin getting inducted into the Hall of Fame? Such whataboutery prevailing on this topic.

My point is we are quick enough to condemn other players for their misdemeanors, I.e. wife beating, alcoholics blah blah blah. When over the years our players aren't squeaky clean.
For football alone damn right he deserves to be there. By far the best player that I have ever seen in Scottish fitbaw since following Hibs from 1979. He was also a character that sadly lacks in world football these days.

G B Young
12-10-2018, 07:27 PM
His mental illness may well be an explanatory factor for a lot of his behaviour, but i dont believe it can explain away some of the things he’s done.

On a footballing level, his nomination was well merited, but if its based on complete character, it’s probably the correct call.

Is there a 'complete character' stipulation? I ask because I don't know what the criteria are. As far as I'm aware it's based solely on what the nominees contributed to the game, which in Gazza's case was a lot.

If he's excluded, then I'd wager there are a good number of inductees who had troubled personal lives. Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone immediately spring to mind. Would anyone question their inclusion? And would George Best be excluded had he been Scottish?

If there's a clause which states something along the lines that as well as being an oustanding player/manager etc a nominee must also have been a clean-living, mentally stable character then I imagine they'd have to de-select a good many.

heretoday
12-10-2018, 08:48 PM
The SFA are incredible really. They shoot themselves in the foot all the time. They claim to have concerns about Gazza's health.

What they're worried about is that he might do something radge at their fancy event.

Baader
12-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Read the statement by Club 1872 earlier. Good to see the caring side of The Rangers again. Pity most of their members probably can't read. Club 1690 would suit them better.

superfurryhibby
12-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Is there a 'complete character' stipulation? I ask because I don't know what the criteria are. As far as I'm aware it's based solely on what the nominees contributed to the game, which in Gazza's case was a lot.

If he's excluded, then I'd wager there are a good number of inductees who had troubled personal lives. Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone immediately spring to mind. Would anyone question their inclusion? And would George Best be excluded had he been Scottish?

If there's a clause which states something along the lines that as well as being an oustanding player/manager etc a nominee must also have been a clean-living, mentally stable character then I imagine they'd have to de-select a good many.

Johnstone and Baxter contributed rather more to Scottish football than Gascoigne. There is no comparison.

ancient hibee
12-10-2018, 10:02 PM
The SFA are incredible really. They shoot themselves in the foot all the time. They claim to have concerns about Gazza's health.

What they're worried about is that he might do something radge at their fancy event.
The SFA are not involved.

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Read the statement by Club 1872 earlier. Good to see the caring side of The Rangers again. Pity most of their members probably can't read. Club 1690 would suit them better.

http://club1872.co.uk/news/paul-gascoigne-scottish-hall-of-fame-nomination/

Much of that has already been covered on here

"All the best on the back of his health challenges?" Wtf does that mean?

Otherwise the usual whitaboot bile, from those small town knuckle draggers.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Sadly, there would appear to be more than a suspicion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/donotmigrate/3642194/I-loved-him-despite-everything.html

Interesting read thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
13-10-2018, 07:33 AM
http://club1872.co.uk/news/paul-gascoigne-scottish-hall-of-fame-nomination/

Much of that has already been covered on here

"All the best on the back of his health challenges?" Wtf does that mean?

Otherwise the usual whitaboot bile, from those small town knuckle draggers.

They do love a statement eh?

I'm just surprised our manager didn't make it into this one. I'm a tad disappointed at that to be honest.

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 07:39 AM
They do love a statement eh?

I'm just surprised our manager didn't make it into this one. I'm a tad disappointed at that to be honest.

They have the uncanny knack of destroying your sense of reason and fair play by steaming into every argument with their gun boat diplomacy.

I actually think they had a good argument, before they started playing the victim card. For them to complain about convicted racists, well you couldn't make it up

GreenArmyyy!
13-10-2018, 07:42 AM
He should never ever have been nominated in the first place but to do so, opening him up to abuse from all sides then take it away from him is honestly unforgivable. The man has very serious mental health issues and this is the kind of thing which could knock him off the rails again.

SFA should hang the heads then be given their marching orders.

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 07:56 AM
He should never ever have been nominated in the first place but to do so, opening him up to abuse from all sides then take it away from him is honestly unforgivable. The man has very serious mental health issues and this is the kind of thing which could knock him off the rails again.

That's a matter of speculation. I do think they shouldn't have gotten into the matter, by citing his "health".

For all we know, he could have cancer, or liver disease. We wouldn't be trying to second guess what's going on there, would we?

"Mental health issues" seems to be a cop out for basically saying someone's behaviour is strange, but not really being able to explain why

To me, he is a daft laddie that can't take responsibility for his own life, and deliberately sabotages attempts to make him grow up. I still don't think he should be denied the hall of fame entry on those grounds though.

Serious "mental health issues" tend to be a lot more debilitating than his, check out Frank Bruno's story, for the devestation it can cause people.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Andy Gray feels he should be nominated for Scottish Footballs Hall of Fame :confused:

:worms:

Crunchie
13-10-2018, 08:14 AM

:top marksAbout sums it up for me.

Brunswickbill
13-10-2018, 08:15 AM

I think that the worry may be that some black-tied nutters in the audience might do something embarrassing.

Smartie
13-10-2018, 08:27 AM
That's a matter of speculation. I do think they shouldn't have gotten into the matter, by citing his "health".

For all we know, he could have cancer, or liver disease. We wouldn't be trying to second guess what's going on there, would we?

"Mental health issues" seems to be a cop out for basically saying someone's behaviour is strange, but not really being able to explain why

To me, he is a daft laddie that can't take responsibility for his own life, and deliberately sabotages attempts to make him grow up. I still don't think he should be denied the hall of fame entry on those grounds though.

Serious "mental health issues" tend to be a lot more debilitating than his, check out Frank Bruno's story, for the devestation it can cause people.

He has been known to have had mental health issues for many years.

Apart from the addiction issues that have blighted him especially with booze, he has had OCD for a long time - the D of which stands for disorder.

Gascoigne has done some stupid things and downright bad things - for that he must face the music, but it's unfair to dismiss his health issues, which have been well-documented.

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 08:39 AM
He has been known to have had mental health issues for many years.

Apart from the addiction issues that have blighted him especially with booze, he has had OCD for a long time - the D of which stands for disorder.

Gascoigne has done some stupid things and downright bad things - for that he must face the music, but it's unfair to dismiss his health issues, which have been well-documented.

My point is, it's unfair to say that this episode has anything to do with his mental health, when nobody has said it is. It's quite wrong, in fact.

Whether you think his past history points to serious mental illness, depends on whose word you take for it, and how you define serious mental illness.

Just because something is in the paper, doesn't make it true.

Pretty Boy
13-10-2018, 11:32 AM

'We shouldn't try and second guess...'

Followed by a load of pop psychology on Gascoignes personality, behaviour and attitide.

You're consistent I'll give you that.

ancient hibee
13-10-2018, 11:36 AM

It’s nothing to do with the SFA.

Spike Mandela
13-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Of course it isn’t but current officers of Scottish football museum include Alan Mcrae and ****ing Campbell Ogilvie.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC152276/officers

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 12:58 PM
'We shouldn't try and second guess...'

Followed by a load of pop psychology on Gascoignes personality, behaviour and attitide.

You're consistent I'll give you that.

So are you. You rarely get past the sentence that gives you an excuse for virtue signalling. There was so much to consider in what I posted, but guess which bit you're talking about?

I think it's fair to say that his health shouldnt have been used as the reason for not giving the award.

If he is mentally ill, or does have another illness, it should have nothing to do with his eligibility for the hall of fame.

Likewise, assuming that the health problems cited are mental health based is equally pop psychology. My big bear is that armchair psychiatrists analyse people's mental health in a way that the wouldn't analyse physical health.

You are right to point out i am guilty of that myself. Possibly illustrating the dangers and poor taste of speaking about
any aspect of people's health in public

I shouldn't have given my opinion (he's a waster) no more than anybody else should be giving theirs. I'd feel even guiltier if I didn't think he uses it as a crutch, and comes back with a different diagnosis, every time he needs attention, it has to stay out of jail.

There is no reason he shouldn't be in the hall of fame because if that though

erin go bragh
13-10-2018, 01:18 PM
How the f is Terry Butcher on the list 😡
Gazza is more deserving to be on it , that that gimp .
Poor stuff by whoever made they decisions .

Chic Murray
13-10-2018, 01:23 PM
More pop psychology here.

https://blogs.canterbury.ac.uk/discursive/gazza-lance-and-the-difficulties-of-psychiatric-diagnosis/

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Gascoigne was a player with great god given talent as a footballer but with a continuing inability, for whatever reason, to act in an adult and responsible manner.
He played in Scotland at the peak of his powers and lit up Scottish Football over 3 seasons.

Those who think he should be debarred from the Hall of Fame would if running the Rock and Roll HOF, have decided not to induct Chuck Berry or James Brown because they did some reprehensible things.

In conclusion it is absurd to judge PG for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.

twiceinathens
13-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Once again the powers create a shambles.

Hibs Class
13-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Gascoigne was a player with great god given talent as a footballer but with a continuing inability, for whatever reason, to act in an adult and responsible manner.
He played in Scotland at the peak of his powers and lit up Scottish Football over 3 seasons.

Those who think he should be debarred from the Hall of Fame would if running the Rock and Roll HOF, have decided not to induct Chuck Berry or James Brown because they did some reprehensible things.

In conclusion it is absurd to judge No10 for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.

If I understand you correctly, because I don't think that Gascoigne merits entry to the Scottish football hall of fame my musical judgement is called into question? As tenuous arguments go that is right up there.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-10-2018, 07:59 PM

It doesn't matter how often you state that fact, people with their own agendas will ignore.

Tynie01011973
13-10-2018, 08:58 PM

In conclusion it is absurd to judge No10 for eligibility on anything other than his sporting contribution.

Get it right if you are going to push Gazza for a place in the Hall of Fame.

He played in Scotland for less than 3 years (74 games)for the Old Club),and did his spupidist best to play up to the Bigoted morons that supports that Club whenever he could.

WTF should he be considered for a place in Scotland's Hall of Fame?

heretoday
13-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Actually, I reckon the whole Hall of Fame premise is wrong.

Instead of lauding guys like Gazza bless him, who spent a fairly short time in Scotland, we should be putting forward journeymen-types who have slogged it in the leagues all their careers.

But that wouldn't be very sensational I suppose.

Bostonhibby
13-10-2018, 09:18 PM

He played in Scotland for less than 3 years (74 games)for the Old Club),and did his spupidist best to play up to the Bigoted morons that supports that Club whenever he could.

WTF should he be considered for a place in Scotland's Hall of Fame?Did he have one of the now defunct Glasgow rangers EBTS with an appropriate side letter?

Might not be a prerequisite to being a hall of famer but having one wasn't seen as a bad thing by the blazers either.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
13-10-2018, 09:18 PM

He played just over a hundred games for Rangers and scored 39 goals.

hibsbollah
13-10-2018, 09:21 PM
If I understand you correctly, because I don't think that Gascoigne merits entry to the Scottish football hall of fame my musical judgement is called into question? As tenuous arguments go that is right up there.

No, you 'misunderstood' him deliberately. The analogy he draws is straightforward and has nothing to do with questions of musical judgement.

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Instead of lauding guys like Gazza bless him, who spent a fairly short time in Scotland, we should be putting forward journeymen-types who have slogged it in the leagues all their careers.

I agree, guys like Joe Wark for Motherwell who was a good player and made a great contribution to Scottish football throughout his career.
Most of the good to great Scottish players of that era legged it to the old 1st Division in England as soon as they were ready as today's Scottish players leg it to the English Championship.

CMurdoch
13-10-2018, 10:44 PM

If you interpret that's what my post means you could be Gascoigne but i know your at it.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-10-2018, 10:45 PM
He played just over a hundred games for Rangers and scored 39 goals.

74 league games.

Mibbes Aye
13-10-2018, 10:57 PM
74 league games.

True but you wouldn't want to ignore the fact he played in over a dozen domestic cup games, scored seven goals and won both domestic trophies.

My response was in response to the poster I quoted telling another poster to 'get it right'. If we are getting it right he played substantially more competiitive games for Rangers than 74, over a hundred in fact.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Almost proud of the SFA for not inducting a bigot and a wife beater. Impressive show of balls.

CMurdoch
14-10-2018, 12:05 AM

Firstly i didn't push Gascoigne for the HOF and he is actually very thick and base. He did not put it on.

As it happens I don't really rate things like the Hall of Fame.
They will naturally put the star names in it so people come and see their attraction/museum.
It loses meaning as you put more and more people into it and eventually becomes little more than a glorified list of the great and the good. My point was that you put players in it based on football ability and contribution only, not on their moral compass or any other factor.

Most of us have a fondness for players from our own club who were a bit naughty and different.
We are also fond of great players from other teams from our childhood, when we fell in love with the game.
I loved Jimmy Johnstone when i was a kid and he has a special place in my heart to this day.
How good was Jimmy, i don't really know because I was a kid. However, i have my own vision of what i thought his abilities were.
Jimmy like Gascoigne was from a poor background whose special abilities were restricted to the field of play. Away from football he was a drunken shambolic fool.

Maybe what makes the difference with these guys is that they were very simple people who couldn't overthink a situation and always acted on instinct in every aspect of their lives including football. I listened to ex Hibs and Man Utd player Danny Galbraith speaking recently about Leigh Griffiths who he had played with at all age groups growing up and he thought the key to Leigh's success was that he didn't and couldn't overthink things and lived in the moment. He runs his life and plays football on instinct and that's what allows him to perform as he does. Poor Danny is intelligent and articulate, had loving parents and a stable background, was brought up to be thoughtful, didn't drink, trained hard, but these positive things may in some perverse way have hindered his football career. He didn't have the simplicity of brain and background of Gascoigne, Johnstone, Griffiths, Best etc. that made and makes them what they are.
Sadly for those simple soles there is a price to pay for them when the football is over. Gascoigne was a great player in Scotland but would you want to be him now or is the price to high? There is no need to judge his other stuff. His organs and brain judge him every day and like Best, Baxter etc he is now paying the heavy price whilst he touts himself about the country like some kind of circus curio.

Dashing Bob S
14-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Almost proud of the SFA for not inducting a bigot and a wife beater. Impressive show of balls.

I agree wholeheartedly but it’s so unlike the SFA who have tolerated paedophile managers, players and fans - and that’s just at ONE club, as well as systemic bigotry for generations. It makes me suspect that they are turning PG down on mental health grounds, rather than the legitimate ones of spouse abuse and sectarianism.

Mibbes Aye
14-10-2018, 12:48 AM

I'm not convinced he was anything other than swept along with signing for Rangers. Find it hard to picture him as a bigot in any real sense, I don't think he could articulate the difference between a Roman Catholic and a Protestant and why it might matter.

On the domestic violence count, it's reprehensible. As I posted before however, I find it impossible to think that some Hibs heroes, let alone everyday players haven't been guilty of the same. In my forty-odd years following the club I've certainly heard stories about some of our putative heroes being guilty of that offence.

Doesn't make it right but there really needs to be a distinction to avoid the overwhelming hyprocrisy that arises when we start naming players as stars. If we say there is a moral code that needs to be met, how do we measure and enforce that? We've had players we hold up as heroes who were alcoholics, I think that's undeniable. We've had players who were ready to raise a hand to their wives or partners, I think that's undeniable.

Same rules for us as any other club. If we want to say there are thresholds players from other clubs can't step over then we need to have the honesty to exercise them ourselves, or take the stance that we are making a judgement on football merit and not lifestyle, life choices and morality.

wpj
14-10-2018, 05:11 AM
Been following this story and the thread(s). This will not help PG in any recovery he may be seeking and I really hope someone has taken the time to explain to him what decisions have been made and why they were made rather than him trying to make sense of it all, should never have got this far.

Hibs Class
14-10-2018, 07:16 AM
No, you 'misunderstood' him deliberately. The analogy he draws is straightforward and has nothing to do with questions of musical judgement.

Only if you accept the premise that objecting to him joining the hall of fame is on the basis of his frailties, rather than on the basis of his limited contribution to football in Scotland. Which I don't.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
14-10-2018, 07:49 AM

If we werent ibcluding bigots, there would be a lot fewer huns in there.

It needs to be made clear whether or not it is about football only, or the whole person.

As one of the top 2 or 3 players i have seen in the flesh playing in Scotland, he should be in there.

On that note, is Sauzee in there? Because he is also in the top 3

Smartie
14-10-2018, 08:22 AM

I suppose it depends on whether in football terms you have more respect for a mediocre player who spent an entire career hoofing players for the likes of Airdrie, or for someone who arrived as one of the world's highest profile players and played some brilliant football in an excellent team for a relatively short space of time.

Gascoigne brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people, which is what the award should be about (similarly there probably should be an acknowledgment of extraordinary plodders).

Crunchie
14-10-2018, 08:46 AM

I like him for the part he played in the 4-3 cup final win against our neighbours. I thought they were going to win that game, and probably should have but for Gascoigne's genius.

FilipinoHibs
14-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Agreed. Hopeless alcoholic, footballing God. As iconic as Pele. Much loved and a nice bloke.

Not racist, sectarian or a wife beater i beieve.

Tomsk
14-10-2018, 01:06 PM
It doesn't matter how often you state that fact, people with their own agendas will ignore.

It is widely reported that Gascoigne's award has been withdrawn because members of the SFA board oppose it and some have threatened to boycott the ceremony.

superfurryhibby
14-10-2018, 01:27 PM
I suppose it depends on whether in football terms you have more respect for a mediocre player who spent an entire career hoofing players for the likes of Airdrie, or for someone who arrived as one of the world's highest profile players and played some brilliant football in an excellent team for a relatively short space of time.

Gascoigne brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people, which is what the award should be about (similarly there probably should be an acknowledgment of extraordinary plodders).

There is a case for recognising guys like Alan Ball or Jim Gallagher. Both had tremendous careers, played for 20 years in our Leagues and were decent goalies. They served their clubs ( Queen of the South and Clydebank) very well and were good, if not exceptional players. Without checking, but one or the other holds the record for appearances in our Leagues.

As for Gascoigne, I was never a fan of the man, but have to say he was pretty impressive on the field. How he ended up in the SPL in the first place in bizarre, especially at what should have been the peak of his career. Whilst he excelled in our League, it’s fair to say that neither he nor his illustrious team mates ( Laudrup) thrived in European football. When you consider the achievements of Scottish players, I think that has to be a consideration?

McD
14-10-2018, 05:11 PM
There is a case for recognising guys like Alan Ball or Jim Gallagher. Both had tremendous careers, played for 20 years in our Leagues and were decent goalies. They served their clubs ( Queen of the South and Clydebank) very well and were good, if not exceptional players. Without checking, but one or the other holds the record for appearances in our Leagues.

As for Gascoigne, I was never a fan of the man, but have to say he was pretty impressive on the field. How he ended up in the SPL in the first place in bizarre, especially at what should have been the peak of his career. Whilst he excelled in our League, it’s fair to say that neither he nor his illustrious team mates ( Laudrup) thrived in European football. When you consider the achievements of Scottish players, I think that has to be a consideration?

Technically... it wasn’t the SPL just yet at that time (in terms of branding it that way) :greengrin

i think its worth remembering though, at that time Rangers were a pretty big name in Europe, and had performed pretty well in the years preceding that time. They’d gone pretty far in 92-93 champions league, signed boli and laudrup and others, McCoist had twice won the European golden boot, beaten Leeds home and away, had not so long before had butcher, woods and other English internationals in their ranks.

That said, I do think rather Scottish league was seen as an easy place to come and play for some of gascoignes talents, whilst still being able to keep his England place

Nakedmanoncrack
14-10-2018, 08:36 PM
It is widely reported that Gascoigne's award has been withdrawn because members of the SFA board oppose it and some have threatened to boycott the ceremony.

But it's not been withdrawn by the SFA, it's certainly been poorly handled - it was a mistake to put him forward in the first place, because regardless of the merits of his inclusion it was always going to create a difficult situation, not least for the man himself. Unlike the Hall of Fame people, at least some of the SFA board appear to have recognised that.

OsloHibs
14-10-2018, 09:07 PM
I was listening to the vinny & gazza episode on talksport and he agreed he would've been better signing for Man utd. Terry venables was not the right man to look after a player like gazza, and London wasn't the place for him to be. I know he makes his own decisions in life (as does everyone) but I do wonder what his life would've been like had he did joined Man u instead.

Smartie
14-10-2018, 09:34 PM
I was listening to the vinny & gazza episode on talksport and he agreed he would've been better signing for Man utd. Terry venables was not the right man to look after a player like gazza, and London wasn't the place for him to be. I know he makes his own decisions in life (as does everyone) but I do wonder what his life would've been like had he did joined Man u instead.

This is often said, but I reckon his fate was inevitable wherever he ended up. He'd have driven Fergie mad and been emptied in no time.

I'm not sure the drinking culture that existed at Man Utd during the late 80s / early 90s would have been any better for him than swinging London.

where'stheslope
15-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Quick question? How many Scotsmen are in the English Hall of Fame?
It seems to me that the Scottish Hall of Fame should be made up of Scottish players.
Other big names, most who played for Rangers and Celtic, were here for the money they were paying!
Has Stevie Kirk been inducted to it or Lewis Stevenson, both long term players who went through thick and thin for their respective clubs!!!
it is maybe great to have big names in your team, but it also drains money out of Scottish football!!!!

Gloucester Hibs
15-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Quick question? How many Scotsmen are in the English Hall of Fame?

Quite a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_Football_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Onceinawhile
15-10-2018, 10:23 AM
I see gazza has responded on twitter with a "no hard feelings" tagged the sfa and a video of his goal against Scotland.

Which is at least mildly funny.

weecounty hibby
15-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Can’t be bothered to check but someone like Dougie Arnot should be there before PG IMO. Has won the amateur, junior and Senior Scottish cups. An unbelievable achievement.

BullsCloseHibs
15-10-2018, 12:00 PM
I see gazza has responded on twitter with a "no hard feelings" tagged the sfa and a video of his goal against Scotland.

Just read his full response. As if written by a child. Cringey at best. Once a muppet always a muppet.

Smartie
15-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Can’t be bothered to check but someone like Dougie Arnot should be there before PG IMO. Has won the amateur, junior and Senior Scottish cups. An unbelievable achievement.

Good stat - I didn't know that.

I also know that one of our old centre-halves absolutely hated playing against him.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-10-2018, 12:37 PM

I’m a member of the TA and, fair play Gazza, that is a funny way to reply

Scott Allan Key
15-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Motherwell have had some great players. Have often punched way above their weight. Wonder if the former industry there has somehow transferred to forging great teams. And of course, our Leeann started her football business career there. Off topic, but it might be a nice idea to induct whole era teams into the hall of fame, such as our recent cup team.

where'stheslope
15-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Quite a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_Football_Hall_of_Fame_inductees
True, I counted 9, and not many forgniers either.

In years to come it will only be overpaid forgniers that will feature here and down south.

The football journeyman that keeps all clubs moving along will be chucked aside for the big names!!!!

Smartie
15-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Motherwell have had some great players. Have often punched way above their weight. Wonder if the former industry there has somehow transferred to forging great teams. And of course, our Leeann started her football business career there. Off topic, but it might be a nice idea to induct whole era teams into the hall of fame, such as our recent cup team.

That's a good shout.

Our cup team.

Any team who won a European trophy.

The 9 in a row teams.

Motherwell's 1991 cup winning team.

I don't get the argument that non-Scots shouldn't be in it. People who come to Scotland and make an outstanding contribution to our game should be acknowledged as well.

where'stheslope
15-10-2018, 02:06 PM
That's a good shout.

Our cup team.

Any team who won a European trophy.

The 9 in a row teams.

Motherwell's 1991 cup winning team.

I don't get the argument that non-Scots shouldn't be in it. People who come to Scotland and make an outstanding contribution to our game should be acknowledged as well.
Most of the players your taking about contributing to our game, also went back to their countries with huge wallets and left clubs with crippling debts????

Smartie
15-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Most of the players your taking about contributing to our game, also went back to their countries with huge wallets and left clubs with crippling debts????

Some of them did, most of them didn't.

More fool the clubs for paying the money - and for that reason the likes of David Murray and Vladimir Romanov should be nowhere near the list.

Di Henrik Larsson cripple Celtic, or was he pound for pound one of the best signings a Scottish club ever made?

SirDavidsNapper
15-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Some of them did, most of them didn't.

More fool the clubs for paying the money - and for that reason the likes of David Murray and Vladimir Romanov should be nowhere near the list.

Di Henrik Larsson cripple Celtic, or was he pound for pound one of the best signings a Scottish club ever made?

The best I'd say. Fantastic debut too 😉

Tomsk
15-10-2018, 06:46 PM
True, I counted 9, and not many forgniers either.

In years to come it will only be overpaid forgniers that will feature here and down south.

The football journeyman that keeps all clubs moving along will be chucked aside for the big names!!!!

I counted 18. And that doesn't include the kiddy on Scot Bob Wilson. There might be more. I've not got a scooby who any of the females are. You would think being famous would be a basic prerequisite of being in a hall of fame - apparently not.

tamig
15-10-2018, 06:59 PM
This is often said, but I reckon his fate was inevitable wherever he ended up. He'd have driven Fergie mad and been emptied in no time.

I'm not sure the drinking culture that existed at Man Utd during the late 80s / early 90s would have been any better for him than swinging London.
Exactly. The likes of Robson and McGrath would have taken him under their wing and you could argue he may have ended up in a worse position than heading to the bright lights of the Big Smoke.

superfurryhibby
15-10-2018, 09:43 PM
I counted 18. And that doesn't include the kiddy on Scot Bob Wilson. There might be more. I've not got a scooby who any of the females are. You would think being famous would be a basic prerequisite of being in a hall of fame - apparently not.

I counted 18 too, discounting Bob Wilson, although to be fair one wasn’t footballer.

Two former Hibees players on the list.

Chic Murray
16-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Been following this story and the thread(s). This will not help PG in any recovery he may be seeking and I really hope someone has taken the time to explain to him what decisions have been made and why they were made rather than him trying to make sense of it all, should never have got this far.

This is the best one yet.

Not only is he mad, apparently he's simple too. Give me strength.

Carheenlea
16-10-2018, 07:45 PM
He fell somewhat short of Hall of Fame standards at a funfair football game recently

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6274525/amp/Paul-Gascoigne-fails-FOUR-attempts-kick-football-hole-funfair-game-Nottingham.html