PDA

View Full Version : Israel vs Scotland

Pages : 1 [2]

Hiber-nation
11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Robertson ? you forget to add the other 9.McGregor in goals was only decent performance.

I know but Robertson is our top man by a mile and couldn't seem to cope with the weight of the captain's armband. Not ideal.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
can't disagree with willie miller :agree: although he's exagerrated about the attempts, it was only 22

They had 23 attempts at goal and that shouldn't happen, but it did because we didn't perform in any department. The strikers didn't threaten, the midfield was simply dreadful, the wing-backs couldn't have played any worse... Allan McGregor is the only one who got pass marks.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2018, 09:32 PM
There's no need for any post mortem into what's wrong with the Scottish game. That tonight was due to a manager not picking the best players he could have and sending a team on the park without a scooby what they were meant to be doing. He then failed to do anything proactive or reactive until his hand was forced.

Time for the SFA to admit they made, another, mistake. Cut our losses and get rid. McLeish is another yesterdays man.

Lago
11-10-2018, 09:37 PM
There's no need for any post mortem into what's wrong with the Scottish game. That tonight was due to a manager not picking the best players he could have and sending a team on the park without a scooby what they were meant to be doing. He then failed to do anything proactive or reactive until his hand was forced.

Time for the SFA to admit they made, another, mistake. Cut our losses and get rid. McLeish is another yesterdays man.
But they'll duck it & stick their head's in the sand hoping it will be alright on the night. It just gets you down to the point you no longer care, sad.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Walter Smith was briefly courted but withdrew from the running after becoming frustrated at a failure to arrange a meeting. Despite widespread calls to interview Steve Clarke, who has enjoyed stunning success in the short term at Kilmarnock, McLeish had the firm support of the Scottish FA’s president, Alan McRae, and vice-president, Rod Petrie.

what have you been told before Rod....stay ******* away from the football side of things :tsk tsk: please

weecounty hibby

Couldnt agree more. If he hasn't got loads of cash to spend he is ****ing clueless. Get rid now before we go any further backwards. Tactically inept and all you need to know about him is summed up in his quotes about Boyle! The wrong team as well as the wrong formation = sure fire defeat.

tamig
https://cc.sporttube.com/embed/RdkCCCG/no-preload/mobile

If this is a foul, there will be about 40 penalties a week????

It was Souttar. Foul all day long.

SirDavidsNapper
Hibs good run of form interrupted for this pish. Genuinely thought it was a friendly. What on earth is the Nations League??

Sir David Gray
11-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Hibs good run of form interrupted for this pish. Genuinely thought it was a friendly. What on earth is the Nations League??

It's a new competition that's been created to ironically help countries like Scotland qualify for the European Championships.

So in other words it's another way for Scotland to find a way of failing.

silverhibee
11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Sparkys brother slating Mcleish, seems to have made the papers.

makaveli1875
11-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Sparkys brother slating Mcleish, seems to have made the papers.

He called Mcleish a hun clown.. It's pretty hard to argue against it to be fair

MWHIBBIES
11-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Gray is twice the player O'Donnell is.

Didn't look the case in the game between the sides 3 weeks ago. O'Donnell was best right back that day imo, caused alot of problems. Gray switches off far too often to play internationally. Watch next game how often he just stands daydreaming marked by a winger instead of giving an option for a pass. He's had a brilliant start to the season and I'm delighted with that but he's not international level.

shetlandhibee
11-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Another thing is I don’t get what McKenna has. Strikes me as a big stopper and not much else.:top marksmost overrated player in scottish football IMO

Hi Heid Yin
11-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Scotland are the reason I hate International breaks.
I simply groan in anticipation of the same old slog and results, with the very occasional decent game and result.
Give me the domestic game and my beloved Hibs every time over the international fayre.

mjhibby
11-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Couldnt agree more. If he hasn't got loads of cash to spend he is ****ing clueless. Get rid now before we go any further backwards. Tactically inept and all you need to know about him is summed up in his quotes about Boyle! The wrong team as well as the wrong formation = sure fire defeat.

His patronising comments regards all these wonderful players that are better than Boyle sum him up. Most weeks commentators pick out Boyle as being on top form. When else should you pick someone. He brings pace and dynamism to the team, something Scotland is totally lacking. And as for his handling of leigh. Playing the big man with your best striker shows he can't handle him. He's not up to the job and only took it as there was nothing available. God knows who will want the job.

California-Hibs
12-10-2018, 12:37 AM
To clarify the angle I'm coming at. Of course there's room for criticizing, I've done my fair share on social media after this terrible result and along the road previously many times. That's not the point I'm trying to make. Heaven knows here in the US one of the things that particularly drives me nuts, is that not only at the football games but in day to day life, is the happy clappy, big no no to criticism that exists. Football here is a great example of it, for anyone who hasn't been to a game in the US it would probably like me make you laugh and just shake your head in disbelief at some of the ongoings. Just a few side examples of that while they're in my head. I was at a game recently (Sacramento Republic, smaller team playing in the league below MLS) Anyway they were at home and they were 3-0 up. In the 85th minute they gave away a penalty. The guy stepped up and missed. A guy sitting 2 rows behind me stands up and frustrated says 'I can't believe you saved that Josh!! (Sacramento keepers name) We are already 3 up and thats just plain rude and we are so much better than that as a club! Their confidence is already shot tonight and they should at least of had that consolation goal'....Now before anyone thinks, clearly he was being sarcastic....nope. Sarcasm I've learnt (sometimes the awkward way) barely exists here in America. Anyway, could you image that going on at Easter Road?? One more. I was at a San Jose earthquakes game last week (MLS side) and oppositly they were 3-0 down. They were hopeless, passing, pressing, control, it was worse that the Butcher days I kid you not. We'd be bathing for blood for that the players were getting upto on the pitch, but it's all hot-dogs are socializing for the mass out here, mixed in with that 'you can do it, we shall never be negative to our team' over the top attitude. I'm getting sidetracked though...(and some people may be saying, but California-Hibs, you are doing the same thing saying no one should be negative. No, thats NOT what I'm doing...)

Back to Scotland. The point I was trying to make and that I've emphasized in previous Scotland games, is that when something positive happens, be it in the game, a certain call up, a result etc we are very very quick to not give it much due praise at all but then when the bad stuff comes along there is people who claim that they didn't give a hoot, out quick as a shot to fire the (rightful) negativity.

I always follow the Scotland threads on here. I'm a big fan of the national team. Yes, Hibs are out in front by a distance in my heart, but I still have a fondness for the Scotland team. I think when you see players playing in the English Prem, Championship etc you can't deny that theres some quality there. Some of the things you read about certain players are laughable. But anyway, I've saw threads on here while and after we've experienced the high of beating good opposition in the past such as France, Czech Republic, Ireland, Poland, Croatia, and it's like praise given through gritted teeth with so many, I just can't understand it when we have those types of results and performances! I agree they have been few and far between and recently its not great.

Listen, I first made my post today yesterday when we were 0-1 up. I said there was a lack of positive comments and in my opinion I'm right in saying that due to previous observations. I'm a firm believer of credit where it's due in life and trying best to be humble. We were rank rotten after we took the lead though and very very lucky it wasn't a big scoreline. I never wanted Gordon to go and certainly McLeish wasn't my first choice, but we are where we are. International Football isn't going to just go away. We'll have Hibs breaks till the end of time through a season, get used to it. Everyone has the right of to each their own, support the national team as you see fit. Not going to shy away from sharing my thoughts on the country I love...

That's my two cents :greengrin

hibsbollah
12-10-2018, 05:41 AM
God knows who will want the job.

Jack Ross has already said its the job he wants most in football. Despite the fact hes only been at Sunderland for five months and yon ginger character is still a relative newbie with Scotland, I can see Ross becoming Scotland manager one day, whether sooner or later.

Ryan69
12-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Another heroic Scotland performance...

Israels first win in 2 years....was always goig to happen tonight.

Ginger Jud@s can GTF!

Why he seems to insist on Souttar(who is murder by the way)....Is beyond me!

At this rate...We will soon be overtaking San Marino at the bottom of the coefficiency.

Jud@s needs to walk!
Our ranking must be plummeting with all these defeats!

hibbydog
12-10-2018, 06:07 AM
Didn't look the case in the game between the sides 3 weeks ago. O'Donnell was best right back that day imo, caused alot of problems. Gray switches off far too often to play internationally. Watch next game how often he just stands daydreaming marked by a winger instead of giving an option for a pass. He's had a brilliant start to the season and I'm delighted with that but he's not international level.

Interesting.

I’ve been thinking about the Sir David for Scotland thing and concluded that I’m too biased to make a judgement. He’s sir David, scorer of the most Important goal ever and that’s all I really care about!

Brightside
12-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Is the problem that there are no coaches of any decent level that would want the job? We have the players the best Israel easily. Our coaches are dreadful.

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2018, 06:56 AM
Is the problem that there are no coaches of any decent level that would want the job? We have the players the best Israel easily. Our coaches are dreadful.

Prob no and 100% agree on how bad the coaches are, however if we have the players to beat Israel, which I also agree with, how did last night happen?

I get that a bad coach/manager can have a negative impact around the squad however some of the players, if not all, also need to stand up and be counted. When it looks like even the captain canny be arsed then the games up IMO

Smartie
12-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Another thing is I don’t get what McKenna has. Strikes me as a big stopper and not much else.

We've been crying out for a semi-competent big stopper for years.

Before last night he'd played well every time he'd been selected for Scotland.

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2018, 07:05 AM
We've been crying out for a semi-competent big stopper for years.

Before last night he'd played well every time he'd been selected for Scotland.

I’m sure McLeish said he was about to bring on McKenna for Souttar just before he was sent off.

McKenna was brought on at half time.

Souttar was sent off at 61.

mjhibby
12-10-2018, 07:08 AM
There is so many things wrong with the Scotland team we could be here all day. In short we have three main problems.
1. Coaching is not good enough from a very young age. Too many guys aren't properly taught the basics so when it gets to the international front they are struggling.
2.We have not set system to play like hibs and celtic do and pick random formations. Lenny has shown with two different midfields if you get the right system for the players it gets results.
3.We need to be identifying talent around the under 21s and bring them through like Germany or India do at cricket. Keep faith with them then we might just get some success. Lastly when a player as red hot as Boyle is available then we must give him a chance. Lenny waxes lyrical about him and he doesn't do that often and he was given a four year contract for a reason. Of the current coaches only Steve Clarke would fill me with any confidence but the job has become the poisoned chalice of football. I admire the loyal Scotland fans as you watch so much dross and keep turning up. I couldn't watch them right now.

GlesgaeHibby
12-10-2018, 07:16 AM
I’m sure McLeish said he was about to bring on McKenna for Souttar just before he was sent off.

Saw that. Utterly mental.

blaikie
12-10-2018, 07:21 AM

McLeish looks a shadow of his former self there’s just something not right with him.

He should have never got the job and if he’s sacked we are back to square one unless there is a clear out in the SFA.

J-C
12-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Never said he was but neither is O'Donnell and Gray is better.

where'stheslope
12-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Another heroic Scotland performance...

Israels first win in 2 years....was always goig to happen tonight.

Ginger Jud@s can GTF!

Why he seems to insist on Souttar(who is murder by the way)....Is beyond me!

At this rate...We will soon be overtaking San Marino at the bottom of the coefficiency.

Jud@s needs to walk!
Our ranking must be plummeting with all these defeats!
It was on the cards after the poor win against Albania.
The manager is playing to many players out of position to try and accommodate everyone he wants in the team?
As for Souttar, there was 2 young defenders in last night and neither got much protection from midfield.
If you think Hanlon would have changed the result, I think that's delusional, the whole team totally under performed except MacGregor!!
Up front there was nothing going forward, so we could have had Kenny Dalgliesh up front if he does not get the ball what can he do!!!!

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2018, 07:54 AM
It was on the cards after the poor win against Albania.
The manager is playing to many players out of position to try and accommodate everyone he wants in the team?
As for Souttar, there was 2 young defenders in last night and neither got much protection from midfield.
If you think Hanlon would have changed the result, I think that's delusional, the whole team totally under performed except MacGregor!!
Up front there was nothing going forward, so we could have had Kenny Dalgliesh up front if he does not get the ball what can he do!!!!

It wasn’t a poor win against Albania imo. I thought we played pretty well in that game

J-C
12-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly last night, McLeish is playing a system that nearly all the players don't play at their current clubs, these systems takes weeks of hard training to perfect, he has them 3-4 days every so often and last nights performance showed they had no clue what they were doing.

I remember hearing an interview with Strachan and he spoke about his time at Middlesbrough and his mistakes, he said he was trying to make the players play to a system he wanted instead of actually playing the players in a system that suited them, the same thing is happening with McLeish right now.

4-4-2 at home and 4-3-/4-5-1 away from home, it's not that complicated.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Interesting.

I’ve been thinking about the Sir David for Scotland thing and concluded that I’m too biased to make a judgement. He’s sir David, scorer of the most Important goal ever and that’s all I really care about!

Of course, he's an absolute legend and has started the season brilliantly but he isn't perfect. He has some glaring weaknesses.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly last night, McLeish is playing a system that nearly all the players don't play at their current clubs, these systems takes weeks of hard training to perfect, he has them 3-4 days every so often and last nights performance showed they had no clue what they were doing.

I remember hearing an interview with Strachan and he spoke about his time at Middlesbrough and his mistakes, he said he was trying to make the players play to a system he wanted instead of actually playing the players in a system that suited them, the same thing is happening with McLeish right now.

It is a little more complicated than that mate, it's not 1980. Been a long time since "442 at home and 451 away" has been good enough.

What if they have 5 in midfield Vs your 4? They have an extra man? Better to keep the ball, press and stop you moving forward. You can't distribute it property so you end up playing long, to Griffith's and Naismith? Just comes back at you.

Famous Fiver
12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Was Mulgrew injured?

Accepted wisdom is to sub a player on an early yellow card in case he gets another one. Particularly relevant when it is one of your centre halfs. In this case the player with the booking was left on, he gets another yellow, and we are down to ten.

Am I missing a point?

Apologies to McLeish if Mulgrew was injured but the way he put that penalty away suggested to me his left foot, which is the one he uses 90% of the time, was in perfect working order..

PatHead
12-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Was Mulgrew injured?

Accepted wisdom is to sub a player on an early yellow card in case he gets another one. Particularly relevant when it is one of your centre halfs. In this case the player with the booking was left on, he gets another yellow, and we are down to ten.

Am I missing a point?

Apologies to McLeish if Mulgrew was injured but the way he put that penalty away suggested to me his left foot, which is the one he uses 90% of the time, was in perfect working order..

Wondered about that myself as it didn’t really make sense.

Smartie
12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
I can only assume that Mulgrew was injured. That's not a change you make unless it is forced.

We missed him big time when he went off, whilst we hadn't been brilliant when he was on we were looking reasonably solid.

We went to pieces when he went off.

mjhibby
12-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Michael Stewart did sum it up perfectly. It's all very having wing backs very forward but they were virtually wingers. I may be blinkered but sir David is a better player than O'Donnell. The back three didn't have a clue and I feel for Robertson as he know he has got players at Liverpool who know where he is going to put the ball and make the runs. This was a game where we should have gone 4-4-2 and matched them in midfield. The game was crying out for Martin Boyle to inject pace and directness and get us up the pitch.What a patronising,ridiculous thing for Mcleish to say he's loads better than Boyle. McGregor was tremendous and we can just be thankful it wasn't Belgium we were playing as we would have been humiliated. How hanlon doesn't get a look in is beyond me. Utterly depressing and shows Mcleish is totally out of his depth. Beg Kilmarnock to get Clarke in and get Hanlon in the squad. I'm sure if Mcleish goes Leigh will be there.Lastly we must be desperate for mcbirnie to get a game.Now we know why O'Neil turned down the job.

Jonnyboy
12-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Was Mulgrew injured?

Am I missing a point?

Hamstring strain apparently

J-C
12-10-2018, 10:32 AM
It is a little more complicated than that mate, it's not 1980. Been a long time since "442 at home and 451 away" has been good enough.

What if they have 5 in midfield Vs your 4? They have an extra man? Better to keep the ball, press and stop you moving forward. You can't distribute it property so you end up playing long, to Griffith's and Naismith? Just comes back at you.

I wasn't advocating 4-4-2 etc we need to play players in their proper positions instead of squeezing them into a system they're not comfortable with.

We've went to a back 4 recently at Hibs because it suits the players we have at the club, what do we actually play, it varies between 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-1-4-1/4-4-2 it changes all the time in game, fluidity is what's needed and adaption during the game.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2018, 10:36 AM
I wasn't advocating 4-4-2 etc we need to play players in their proper positions instead of squeezing them into a system they're not comfortable with.

We've went to a back 4 recently at Hibs because it suits the players we have at the club, what do we actually play, it varies between 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-1-4-1/4-4-2 it changes all the time in game, fluidity is what's needed and adaption during the game.
Fair enough. I agree completely. The formation and tactics used by Scotland have been dreadful as long as I remember.

4-6-0 FFS. And 4-5-1 hoofball to Griffiths or Naismith. Darren Fletcher and Brown often played right mid. It's embarrassing.

SteveHFC
13-10-2018, 01:55 PM
I see the boy Devlin from Aberdeen has been called up for tomorrow's game.

What else does Hanlon need to do to be called up.

Billy Whizz
13-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Is Paul not still injured

Sir David Gray
13-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Hanlon hasn't played for nearly 3 weeks through injury.