PDA

View Full Version : Down the slope

greeny
11-10-2018, 02:51 PM
I know there's no slope now but when did we last kick towards the South Stand in the second half of a game.

Was it a rule change that means we don't toss to swap ends now and if so, when did it change

hibee316
11-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I know there's no slope now but when did we last kick towards the South Stand in the second half of a game.

Was it a rule change that means we don't toss to swap ends now and if so, when did it change

Might it be the case that all away teams want to shoot towards their fans inn the second half to encourage them as legs get tired?

Michael
11-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Occasionally teams pick the 'wrong' half to try and make us uncomfortable. Tends to work from what I recall.

Mick O'Rourke
11-10-2018, 03:04 PM

Don't tell anyone i told you.
But there is a wee hint of a "slope" (not that you notice and you could certainly notice the slope back then) that remains after the club were told to sort it out !
I was told that back when the pitch was "ironed"
Groundsman sentimentality
I tend to agree that opponents, when they win the toss, choose to shoot "doon the slope" first.

Opponents lose all hope !!!.....

Does anyone recall the year that the pitch was "fixed"?

Green Man
11-10-2018, 03:04 PM
I think teams do prefer shooting towards their own fans in the second half. The winner of the toss still chooses ends - I think there used to be the option of choosing ends or kicking off, but that was removed a while back.

Green Man
11-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Don't tell anyone i told you
But there is a wee hint of a slope that remains after the club were told to sort it out !
I was told that back when the pitch was "ironed"
I tend to agree that opponents, when they win the toss, choose to shoot "doon the slope" first.

Opponents lose all hope !!!.....

Does anyone recall the year that the pitch was "fixed"?

2000 the slope was levelled. I remember making a late decision to go to the game when I realised it was the last one being played down the slope - we beat Aberdeen 1-0.

JeMeSouviens
11-10-2018, 03:08 PM
2000 the slope was levelled. I remember making a late decision to go to the game when I realised it was the last one being played down the slope - we beat Aberdeen 1-0.

I've got a section of the old sloping pitch in my back garden. Covered in clover and daisies like the rest of my back grass now, but still. :greengrin

wookie70
11-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Definitely the team winning toss decides on what way to to shoot. Always surprises me that teams don't turn us round and make us think and that we don't do it to other teams. I'd definitely do it at our rivals now and again

Bobby Moore
11-10-2018, 03:17 PM

From memory, I seem to recall,
that Kenny Miller scored the goal in that game, and it was at the down at the slope end, so the honour getting the last of the many goals scored there would go to him.

mutley
11-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Definitely the team winning toss decides on what way to to shoot. Always surprises me that teams don't turn us round and make us think and that we don't do it to other teams. I'd definitely do it at our rivals now and again

I have seen it a couple of times where the goalies are getting comfy then have to grab their stuff and swap ends. Not very often mind you (which i'm glad coz i get confused when they do that and it messes with my chi)

Hibbyradge
11-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Particularly if we've got a decent number in the South Stand.

Green Man
11-10-2018, 03:30 PM
From memory, I seem to recall,
that Kenny Miller scored the goal in that game, and it was at the down at the slope end, so the honour getting the last of the many goals scored there would go to him.

I remember it being down the slope but couldn’t remember who scored it.

Mick O'Rourke
11-10-2018, 03:30 PM
As stated,it is 18 years since the slope was levelled.

Opponents today would not likely know of any historical mythology about the famous Easter Road slope.
Teams that do have a decent support in the Dunbar End would naturally (i would think) want to shoot down that way,2nd half.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-10-2018, 03:58 PM
The slope is mercilessly parodied in Tim Healey's sketch, when his team plays Pontefract Athletic. I laugh out loud every time I see that clip.

Greenfly
11-10-2018, 08:45 PM
I've got a section of the old sloping pitch in my back garden. Covered in clover and daisies like the rest of my back grass now, but still. :greengrin

I hope it's angled appropriately.

12-10-2018, 12:24 AM
Think teams prefer to shoot towards their own support second half regardless so most away teams choose to shoot towards the south stand second half if they have the choice.

where'stheslope
12-10-2018, 07:53 AM
The only team that still has a decent slope on their pitch is Motherwell with a double gradient.

They built the Davie Cooper stand with taking the gradient out built in.

The other slope down the length of the field must be at least as bad as our old slope?

hibernia_inn
12-10-2018, 09:44 AM
The slope is mercilessly parodied in Tim Healey's sketch, when his team plays Pontefract Athletic. I laugh out loud every time I see that clip.

Bostock's Cup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWQg6XRC14

linlithgowhibbie
12-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Brilliant, looks like John Blackley at KO

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Just hilarious.

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2018, 11:53 AM
I would say that in most games we tend to kick downhill second half towards the FF

Mick ORourke is correct my eyes might be deceiving me or I may have had one too many prematch pints in the Windsor but the slope does seem to be making a comeback

Natural Order?

Fuzzywuzzy
12-10-2018, 01:39 PM
I would say that in most games we tend to kick downhill second half towards the FF

Mick ORourke is correct my eyes might be deceiving me or I may have had one too many prematch pints in the Windsor but the slope does seem to be making a comeback

Natural Order?

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that if ayr won the toss when in the Championship they had us playing to the ff in the first half

SChibs
12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that if ayr won the toss when in the Championship they had us playing to the ff in the first half

They definately done it in the cup that season. I remember John mcginn scoring fairly early and Cummings scored a pen in the first half down that end

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Seem to remember Ayr and Morton being particularly difficult

They would both use any tactics to upset our rhythm

By and large tradition dictates that where possible we will try and kick towards FF second half

cabbageandribs1875
12-10-2018, 02:07 PM

i thought it was Ayr as well :agree: