View Full Version : Artificial pitches

Ozyhibby
09-10-2018, 07:38 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181009/0017b45b40f80af4c7f1f9f3042573df.png
Should we be doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2018, 07:42 PM
The Dutch love their grass right enough.

Hi Heid Yin
09-10-2018, 07:51 PM
The quicker we get rid of artificial pitches the better.
No team should be disadvantaged by having to adapt and play on an injury-inducing and unpredictable-bounce surface.
We either have artificial pitches in all stadiums or none at all.
For me footie should be played on grass.

Jonnyboy
09-10-2018, 07:56 PM
No team should be disadvantaged by having to adapt and play on an injury-inducing and unpredictable-bounce surface.

I hate them with a passion and agree with everything you say

macca70
09-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Artificial pitches are horrible, they should be banned in Professional football

Pretty Boy
09-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Artificial surfaces are essential for the grassroots of the game.

They have no place in the top leagues.

NGP
09-10-2018, 08:05 PM
Can't stand them in the top flight.
I think Hibs should ask for an official inspection of the Killie pitch to see if it is actually fit for professional football. Ask for it now during the international break to allow time if, as it should be, deemed unfit.

Stonewall
09-10-2018, 08:26 PM

100%

worcesterhibby
09-10-2018, 09:07 PM

100% agree

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2018, 09:13 PM

But they are allowed in the Champions League? Isn't there a Russian top side that plays on one? Apologise for the pun, but at grassroots, this would be hard to influence when the most important competition says that it is acceptable.

worcesterhibby
09-10-2018, 09:31 PM
But they are allowed in the Champions League? Isn't there a Russian top side that plays on one? Apologise for the pun, but at grassroots, this would be hard to influence when the most important competition says that it is acceptable.

Not the poor quality ones we have in the Scottish Premiership, you don't see 10,000 rubber pellets flying every time someone kicks the ball in the Champions League..a high quality artificial surface costs Millions to install and keep in top condition, the surfaces Livi and Killi have are local 5 a side pitch standard.

Sylar
09-10-2018, 09:41 PM

Actually, a large number of the studies done on such surfaces have concluded that there's no greater incidence of injury: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/40/12/975.short, or https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/11/794.

Some studies even show a decline in injuries on the newer artificial surfaces (like the ones at Livingston and Kilmarnock): https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/, and although some studies do note a significant increase in injuries immediately after installation, the addition of the rubber pellets everyone hates to see then reduces the injury risk again, as shown here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5544152/

I don't think Livingston made a great decision installing their pitch during the summer months - it cost a lot of money, and they've since canned their youth academies to cut costs. To me, that's a fail. But they did lose a lot of games in the last few seasons due to an inoperable undersoil heating system and flooding. I'm under no illusions postponements don't suddenly go away with these surfaces, but they are more resilient to the conditions, and reduce ticket sale losses by changing a weekend fixture to a midweek evening.

I'm not necessarily a fan of these surfaces, but there's a lot of falsehoods out there about them.

CB_NO3
09-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Wonder if the old firm would do the same to Livi, Killie and co?

Jay
09-10-2018, 09:49 PM
My son played on the Livi pitch at the weekend, he said surprisingly it was fine and his dodgy knee was no worse than any other pitch he plays on. Hes obviously not a professional footballer (I wish!) but had been dreading playing on that surface.

HappyAsHellas
09-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Any director of a club in our league who installs a plastic pitch should be paraded round the town square with his genitalia on the end of a pointed stick.

matty_f
09-10-2018, 10:42 PM

Do artificial pitches not do away with grass roots? :greengrin

jacomo
09-10-2018, 11:40 PM
My son played on the Livi pitch at the weekend, he said surprisingly it was fine and his dodgy knee was no worse than any other pitch he plays on. Hes obviously not a professional footballer (I wish!) but had been dreading playing on that surface.

Glad to hear it.

But I wouldn’t want to play on that surface regularly. Who wants a mouthful of shredded car tyre?

Steve-O
10-10-2018, 02:36 AM
Do artificial pitches not do away with grass roots? :greengrin

That's what I thought, an oxymoron indeed :greengrin

Steve-O
10-10-2018, 02:38 AM
Should we be doing this?

Celtic should redistribute some of those profits they've been making over the last few years. Nobody else though. They're often the ones moaning about pitches anyway. Get yer hand in the biscuit tin, Lawell.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2018, 05:36 AM
When artificial pitches are an exact replica of grass pitches, then i would accept them in the top league.

Until such times, we should not have them.

I dont think i have ever watched a decent game of football on one of these pitches, and while i understand why clubs want them, the reason EVERY club play football is to entertain the fans.

I have never been entertained watching a game on that surface.

Ryan69
10-10-2018, 06:07 AM
Should we be doing this?

We really need something to liven it up abit.

Not sure if its done anywhere else,but in Chile...they have 2 seasons in one year.
Winner of each...has a grand final to decide Champion.
Not sure how it works if same team wins both however.
Suppose you could have cup winner v league winners.

I like how its done...as you get 2 shots at it,instead of a real bad start...and the rest of the season is pointless.

Im sure theres many good ideas out there...a the split is stupid.

Ryan69
10-10-2018, 06:11 AM

I think Zenit do.

SChibs
10-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Glad to hear it.

But I wouldn’t want to play on that surface regularly. Who wants a mouthful of shredded car tyre?

I played on plastic pitches 3 times a week for years and I've never had a mouth full of rubber pellets!

Onceinawhile
10-10-2018, 06:47 AM
When artificial pitches are an exact replica of grass pitches, then i would accept them in the top league.

I dont think i have ever watched a decent game of football on one of these pitches, and while i understand why clubs want them, the reason EVERY club play football is to entertain the fans.

Out 2-2 v killie last year?

SChibs
10-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Out 2-2 v killie last year?

When we beat Falkirk 3-0 on the last day of the season in 14/15?

Commons free kick vs Falkirk was also quite entertaining.

inglisavhibs
10-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Agree, it's not the safety issue for me. It's just a different game to watch altogether and I don't like it. Put it this way if all pitches became artificial I would no longer attend football.

PatHead
10-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Was our game in the Faroes on a plastic pitch?

staunchhibby
10-10-2018, 10:29 AM
The game in Molde was played on artificial pitch

where'stheslope
10-10-2018, 10:31 AM
If they are so bad, why do we have one at East Mains?
Is it a fact you can't get injured training on one?
Seems to me, the plastic pitch theories only come to the fore when a player gets injured or the opposing team gets beat?
There is maybe some justification that all teams in the same league should have the same type of pitch, but even that is not the case as not all teams will have the new hybrid pitches which has plastic through it?
What is the correct playing surface, and if your team has the wrong one who should pay to replace it, the SPFL or the Club, remember most clubs would rather use that money on better players!!!

flash
10-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Us getting a pitch like Killie or Hamilton would probably result in me not buying a season ticket for the first time in about 25 years. It's simply not the same game on these surfaces.

Newry Hibs
10-10-2018, 11:52 AM

The trouble is, a small club (say Alloa) may have the advantage of a plastic pitch - not necessarily the team's performance, but maybe hiring it out, not having the expense of needing training facilities - and get promoted to the top league(s). Whereby they would have to install a grass pitch. No doubt expensive and the double whammy of losing the other benefits. As soon as they are relegated, they may find it too expensive to revert back to plastic.
So would they want to get promoted?

Waxy
10-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Pretty sure our pitch isnt 100% grass. They horrid full plastic pitches with the pellets have to go though.

KeithTheHibby
10-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Pretty sure our pitch isnt 100% grass. They horrid full plastic pitches with the pellets have to go though.

Erm pretty sure ours is 100% grass.

hibbyfraelibby
10-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Erm pretty sure ours is 100% grass.

It's 100% vegeterian, but missing any cannabis.

Delboy4
10-10-2018, 12:26 PM

If he played on the pitch every week for years his dodgy knee wouldn't be dodgy it would be finished..!

I played/trained on artificial pitches now and again for years and my knees are done in now, I've had an operation on my right and now my left is shouting out for an operation.

These pitches should be nowhere near the top leagues. If a team gets promoted from the championship they should have the option to upgrade their pitch to grass or pass the promotion to the next team that has
a grass pitch.

When Hibs played at Livi a few weeks ago you could see the players body language, they were not comfortable at all. The pitch is terrible...

where'stheslope
10-10-2018, 01:01 PM
If he played on the pitch every week for years his dodgy knee wouldn't be dodgy it would be finished..!

I played/trained on artificial pitches now and again for years and my knees are done in now, I've had an operation on my right and now my left is shouting out for an operation.

These pitches should be nowhere near the top leagues. If a team gets promoted from the championship they should have the option to upgrade their pitch to grass or pass the promotion to the next team that has
a grass pitch.

When Hibs played at Livi a few weeks ago you could see the players body language, they were not comfortable at all. The pitch is terrible...

Classic answer to my post 29!

If they are as bad as everyone says, no one would lay them in the first place!!!

Delboy4
10-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Classic answer to my post 29!

If they are as bad as everyone says, no one would lay them in the first place!!!

You can still get injuries in training on these pitches BUT when training players are not 100% going into tackles like in a match.

Most training games are all about moving the ball quickly and not trying to put in hard tackles to your team mate ( unless he plays in your position and you want his place ) Lol :greengrin

You see in games not many players slide tackle, they usually let the ball go. It's like a non contact sport which is ok for a lower level but not top leagues. Just my opinion though..!