PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: HIGGINS HAILS EDDIE TURNBULL AND HIS TORNADOES SIDE

RSS Bot
09-10-2018, 02:20 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9294)

Lago
09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Terrific, just reading the name's of the players he played with, loved that time 😊

SideBurns
09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Big Tony scored the winner in my first ever game; 1-0 win over St.Mirren in 1978, yellow shirts & green shorts in front of the STV cameras! Magic 😊

Hi Heid Yin
09-10-2018, 07:40 PM
I recall Higgin's initially only getting a game when one of our first pick Tornadoes was injured or suspended.
A good, solid player who played in the shadows of his more illustrious team mates.

linlithgowhibbie
09-10-2018, 09:32 PM
THAT miss at Elland Road tho' !!!!!!!!

Leithenhibby
09-10-2018, 09:45 PM
THAT miss at Elland Road tho' !!!!!!!!

:boo hoo:

That, and when Pat Stanton hit the post in the penalty shoot-out...

What a team that was to watch week in, week out. GGTTH

monktonharp
10-10-2018, 12:59 AM
big Tony was a well loved Hibby, in the years to come. he was in the transition period from the tornadoes, to another team that could have won a Scottish, iirc. he looked cumbersome, but could control the ba' and keep it close to him which surprised me at times.

wookie70
10-10-2018, 11:19 AM
My uncle always said Tony Higgins got an inch shorter when he jumped referring to how poor he was in the air for a gig guy.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2018, 12:14 PM
My heart used to sink when Tony Higgins name would appear between intermittent shortages on the scoreboard above the old cowshed that looked like an invention from the Nutty Professor in Back to the Future
Rather than a Tornado he was more like a wet weekend in Partick
He was awkward cumbersome ungainly legs like tree trunks slower than a week in Saughton stood six foot two jumped five foot six
He had tremendous close control for a man of his build and was extremely hard to dispossess
He went on to score a lot of important goals for us both domestically and in Europe and knew where the goals were
He says himself in the article that he learnt a lot at HIBS and HIBS improved him as a player he also had a lot of nice things to say about Eddie Turnbull
He went on to enjoy a successful career with Partick Thistle Morton Stranraer and the SPFA
Yes he was much loved by our fans and it is perhaps fitting that he was involved in handing over the Scottish Cup to David Gray after being part of the side that was robbed of a stonewall penalty against Rangers in the last minute back in 1979
You can tell from the interview how much 21st May 2016 meant to him

Tom Hart RIP
11-10-2018, 07:25 AM
My heart used to sink when Tony Higgins name would appear between intermittent shortages on the scoreboard above the old cowshed that looked like an invention from the Nutty Professor in Back to the Future
Rather than a Tornado he was more like a wet weekend in Partick
He was awkward cumbersome ungainly legs like tree trunks slower than a week in Saughton stood six foot two jumped five foot six
He had tremendous close control for a man of his build and was extremely hard to dispossess
He went on to score a lot of important goals for us both domestically and in Europe and knew where the goals were
He says himself in the article that he learnt a lot at HIBS and HIBS improved him as a player he also had a lot of nice things to say about Eddie Turnbull
He went on to enjoy a successful career with Partick Thistle Morton Stranraer and the SPFA
Yes he was much loved by our fans and it is perhaps fitting that he was involved in handing over the Scottish Cup to David Gray after being part of the side that was robbed of a stonewall penalty against Rangers in the last minute back in 1979
You can tell from the interview how much 21st May 2016 meant to him

Memory playing tricks Billy. Tony was away long before our state of the art electric scoreboard.
I remember when it was first used and instead of putting up the half time scores they said Game A, Game B etc so that people still had to buy the programme.

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Memory playing tricks Billy. Tony was away long before our state of the art electric scoreboard.
I remember when it was first used and instead of putting up the half time scores they said Game A, Game B etc so that people still had to buy the programme.
Ha Ha!
Was waiting on someone to pull me up on that.
Well played sir!
Like all my recollections on dotnet I never let the facts interfere with a good story
I felt bad slagging off a HIBS great but my recollection re his undoubted football skill is more or less how I rembered them
Thanks for the memories Tony!

heretoday
12-10-2018, 05:51 AM
He tended to punch below his weight but he was a legend nonetheless.