PDA

View Full Version : The name Hibs

Austinho
09-10-2018, 03:00 AM
When did we start being known as ‘Hibs’? And ‘Hibees’ for that matter? Has this always been the case? Hector Nicol sang both ‘the Hibs go marching on’ and ‘Glory Glory to the Hibees’, so presumably it’s been around since at least the 1960s. How far back does it go?

Does anyone even use ‘Hibernian’ regularly in conversation? Sometimes I find in OZ if I say ‘Hibs’ people are confused, or haven’t heard of us until I use our proper name, even the English - I guess non Scots are more familiar with seeing the full name from league tables, Sky Sports News, FIFA etc.

Hibernian sounds more grand, and the fact it is a long lost Latin name for ‘land of winter’ and originates from around 320BC, long long before the English language even began is poetic in itself. Very few other ancient Roman country names failed to be established in modern languages, Hibernia and Caledonia being two of them. Something to be proud of, as it’s prerty unique. Because of this, never liked ‘Hibs’ as much in comparison - always found it to be a little soft.

The Harps would have been a good nickname, if not for sounding a bit too close to those across the city.

And a wee point on the ‘Hibees’ name. Almost seems like we’re calling out to have a green Bee as a mascot instead of a ‘Leith Lynx’ - tenuous link indeed.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 06:59 AM
When did we start being known as ‘Hibs’? And ‘Hibees’ for that matter? Has this always been the case? Hector Nicol sang both ‘the Hibs go marching on’ and ‘Glory Glory to the Hibees’, so presumably it’s been around since at least the 1960s. How far back does it go?

Does anyone even use ‘Hibernian’ regularly in conversation? Sometimes I find in OZ if I say ‘Hibs’ people are confused, or haven’t heard of us until I use our proper name, even the English - I guess non Scots are more familiar with seeing the full name from league tables, Sky Sports News, FIFA etc.

Hibernian sounds more grand, and the fact it is a long lost Latin name for ‘land of winter’ and originates from around 320BC, long long before the English language even began is poetic in itself. Very few other ancient Roman country names failed to be established in modern languages, Hibernia and Caledonia being two of them. Something to be proud of, as it’s prerty unique. Because of this, never liked ‘Hibs’ as much in comparison - always found it to be a little soft.

The Harps would have been a good nickname, if not for sounding a bit too close to those across the city.

And a wee point on the ‘Hibees’ name. Almost seems like we’re calling out to have a green Bee as a mascot instead of a ‘Leith Lynx’ - tenuous link indeed.

The HIBS go marching on and glory glory are one and the same song by Hector Nicol

He also sung the Hearts Song

I have waited all my life to sing “I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag” at Hampden

The founders of HIBS took their name from the Roman name for Ireland Hibernia as they were all either Irish or from Irish descent.

SRHibs
09-10-2018, 07:02 AM
The HIBS go marching on and glory glory are one and the same song by Hector Nicol

I have waited all my life to sing “I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag” at Hampden

The founders of HIBS took their name from the Roman name for Ireland Hibernia as they were all either Irish or from Irish descent.

He knows they’re in the same song, he’s just citing the fact that both terms were used in the song, so have been around for a while.

SirDavidsNapper
09-10-2018, 07:04 AM

Richard Gordon on the radio is the only one i know that regularly uses it in normal chat

ian cruise
09-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Richard Gordon on the radio is the only one i know that regularly uses it in normal chat

I use usually Hibs but I quite like the fact he uses Hibernian as it's our name and I'm proud of it. I'm generally just being lazy when I use Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 07:17 AM
He knows they’re in the same song, he’s just citing the fact that both terms were used in the song, so have been around for a while.

Too early in the morning for me.....I’ll get my coat!

Always been HIBS or Hibees as far back as I can remember and I have been supporting HIBS and going to matches for fifty years

To complicate matters even further and this may be of interest to the OP but nothing to do with the football club there is also Hutt International Boys School in NZ known as HIBS

Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery and there is also at one time or another been Cork HIBS Malta HIBS and Dundee HIBS I wonder what ever happened to them? :greengrin

Austinho
09-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Just to confirm, I am aware they are lyrics from the same song ;)

When Hector Nicol released both tracks, The Hearts Song was the B Side, with Glory Glory to the Hibees the A side - Natural Order indeed.

Peevemor
09-10-2018, 07:34 AM
"On 18th September 1886 a crowd of 1,000 attended at Glengarry Park, the home of the teams most closely associated with Brother Walfrid – Eastern Rovers and Columba – to see Edinburgh Hibernians reserve team take on a parish team from St. Peter’s RC Church in Partick. It was the St. Mary’s Dinner Tables who were the beneficiaries of this tie."

From https://the-shamrock.net/tag/celtic/

Hibernian32
09-10-2018, 08:29 AM
I thought Hibernia/Hibernian was latin for catholic Irish not land of winter.
are you getting us confused with game of thrones?

ian cruise
09-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Dictionary.com and Wikipedia seem to agree it translates to "Land of Winter"

hibernia: definition from Dictionary.com: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hibernia

Thief
09-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Without meaning to drag politics into it, The term Hibs has often been used as an abbreviated version of Hibernians.
Many years before our football club was formed, the ancient order of Hibernians existed and their clubs, marches, members etc were commonly shortened to Hibs. e.g Hibs March, Hibs club, Hibs man etc
Don’t know for certain, but this, along with the press cutting someone posted above would indicate that they were probably referred to as Hibs from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinho
09-10-2018, 08:43 AM
are you getting us confused with game of thrones?Nothing whatsoever to do with Catholics. Hibernia was the name aptly given to the land of Ireland, originally by the ancient Greeks, and then adapted by the Romans, which roughly translates to 'land of winter'.

Peevemor
09-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Given that the name dates from 4 centuries BC, catholicism doesn't come into it.

Killiehibbie
09-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Without meaning to drag politics into it, The term Hibs has often been used as an abbreviated version of Hibernians.
Many years before our football club was formed, the ancient order of Hibernians existed and their clubs, marches, members etc were commonly shortened to Hibs. e.g Hibs March, Hibs club, Hibs man etc
Don’t know for certain, but this, along with the press cutting someone posted above would indicate that they were probably referred to as Hibs from day one.

I was told our name came from the AOH and their motto of Friendship, Unity and True Christian Charity sounds about right.

Hibbyradge
09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
I've been calling us, "The Famous and Mighty Hibernian" for about 30 years.

The fact that our noiseless neighbours have nicked part of the phrase doesn't stop me.

I say Hibs most of the time and I would describe someone as a Hibby, never a Hibee.

I usually shout "Come on the Hibs" or "Hibbies", rarely Hibees, I think.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
In our early years, in fact right into the 1930s I believe, the written press would refer to us as Hibernians, 'Hibs' is just a shortened version of that.

GibbytheHibby2
09-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Some time ago at Hampden museum there was a newspaper print which had our name displayed as HI B's . I've always assumed that's where Hibs came from. I'm unaware if we were known as Hibees before this abbreviation came into use.

southern hibby
09-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Found the above very interesting. Was told years ago that Hibees was what we called anyone playing for Hibs. I’ve always thought this was the case for that name.

I’m actually now very interested to know if this is true or just something I was told because it kept a young lad from pestering someone who didn’t know
The true meaning of it.

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
09-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Do you pronounce it "High-bernian" or "Hi-bernian" (as in hit).

I'm the latter, I think.

Austinho
09-10-2018, 09:40 AM

I'm the latter, I think.As the song goes:

High-bee High-bernian ZOOM ZOOM HUUWHHHH
High-bee High-bernian
High-bee High-berrrrrrrrnnnnnniiiiiiiiaaaaan ZOOM ZOOM
Hiiiiiigh-bee High-berniiiiaa ZOOM ZOOM HUUWHHHH ZOOM ZOOM

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 09:49 AM
As the song goes:

High-bee High-bernian
When I was five my Daddy took me down to Easter Road
He lifted me up high upon his shoulder
High-bernian!
High-bee
High-bernian

Got the best name best strip and best songs of any other club
Ooh to be a HIBBY
Hibees here Hibees there Hibees every ****ing where
We scored one we scored two we scored seven more than you
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na
Hibees! Hibees!Hibees! Hibees!

Renfrew_Hibby
09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

I'm the latter, I think.

I think I'm the former. Imaging supporting a club for over 30 years and I'm now doubting how to even say our name!

G B Young
09-10-2018, 10:32 AM
In a letter home from America in 1896 James Connolly wrote:

“A little Scotsman told me Hearts were in the final of the Scottish Cup and they were knocking hell oot the Hibs, whereat I felt very much depressed”.

Based on that I'd suggest we've been known as Hibs pretty much since we were founded.

CropleyWasGod
09-10-2018, 10:48 AM

I'm the latter, I think.That depends on whether one uses it as a noun or an adjective. [emoji851]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IWasThere2016
09-10-2018, 10:55 AM
I use:

Collective - Hibs not Hibernian

Plural - Hibees not Hibbies .. eg I'd yell "Come on the Hibees"

Singular - Hibby not Hibee .. eg I'd describe myself as a Hibby not a Hibee

In summary, I am seriously mucking fuddled up :greengrin

Hibbyradge
09-10-2018, 10:56 AM
That depends on whether one uses it as a noun or an adjective. [emoji851]

I've been saying it out loud for a while to check.

It actually sounds like "Ha-bernian" so halfway in between both.

CropleyWasGod
09-10-2018, 10:59 AM
I've been saying it out loud for a while to check.

It actually sounds like "Ha-bernian" so halfway in between both.LTHF

LaMotta
09-10-2018, 11:03 AM
In France we are known as Hibernian Edimbourg, which I quite like.

or Heebz for short:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2018, 11:06 AM
I use:

this is all correct

pollution
09-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Very good question.

I thought we were The Hibernians ie of the land of Ireland.

Austinho
09-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Very good question.

I thought we were The Hibernians ie of the land of Ireland.Actually, I believe Hibernia is the name for Ireland, and Hibernians is the name of the people. So our name essentially means ‘the people of Ireland’.

Paraphrased from Wikipedia: “By the 18th century, the use of Hibernia had revived in some contexts. Hibernia was a useful word to describe Ireland with overtones of classical style and civility, including by the prosperous Anglo-Irish Ascendancy who were taught Latin at school. "Hibernian" was used as a term for people, and a general adjective.”

J-C
09-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Lots of teams are recognised by their abbreviated names, Spurs, QPR, Wolves, even Hearts.

wpj
09-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Lots of teams are recognised by their abbreviated names, Spurs, QPR, Wolves, even Hearts.

Huns

Vault Boy
09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Having lived in England my whole life, I've found that if a football fan is knowledgeable enough to know of our club, they always seem to refer to us as Hibs.

When people ask who I support, I always tend to say Hibs, and if they look like they're unsure, I'll go on to say 'Hibernian, from Edinburgh' etc. Quite a few folk down here seem to have a soft spot for Hibs, Sunshine on Leith certainly helps.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 01:15 PM
The Huns

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Having lived in England my whole life, I've found that if a football fan is knowledgeable enough to know of our club, they always seem to refer to us as Hibs.

When people ask who I support, I always tend to say Hibs, and if they look like they're unsure, I'll go on to say 'Hibernian, from Edinburgh' etc. Quite a few folk down here seem to have a soft spot for Hibs, Sunshine on Leith certainly helps.

I was on the AFC Bournemouth fans forum a few weeks back responding to a thread about Emerson Hyndman and one poster admitted he didn't even know Hibs were from Edinburgh :greengrin I also found out they get really tetchy if you leave out the AFC part, seems it differentiates them from another local team of a similar name … somebody should tell MOTD then.

I never refer to Hibs as Hibernian, though I sometimes use our Sunday name as emphasis when I'm writing something.

And people who support Hibs are Hibbies ( singular Hibby ) …. I hate hearing our fans referred to as Hibees .. that's the team or club, not the fans.

Green Man
09-10-2018, 02:27 PM
When I was five my Daddy took me down to Easter Road
He lifted me up high upon his shoulder
High-bernian!
High-bee
High-bernian

Got the best name best strip and best songs of any other club

I love that song. I was disappointed when I found out it was sung by a Jambo.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
09-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Its alright, our Scottish Cup winning captain is (now was) a Jambo. Occasionally they do good. :greengrin:greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-10-2018, 03:04 PM
HunsSevco.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Perd Hapley
09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
I've always thought of 'Hibees' as referring to the team and the players on the pitch and the club as a whole and 'hibbies' referring to the fans - one can be both a Hibee and a Hibby but we'll never play a team as 'the hibbies'.

Totally artificial distinction maybe but there you have it. On another note I've always quite liked that we're referred to primarily by our nickname of 'Hibs' - with the obvious exception of Hearts there aren't many teams that get that treatment. I like to think it reflects the cultural dimension of our club

majorhibs
09-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Huns

The Huns

Sevco.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Think your all being very generous here to the zombies

Wilson
09-10-2018, 05:47 PM
I've always thought of 'Hibees' as referring to the team and the players on the pitch and the club as a whole and 'hibbies' referring to the fans - one can be both a Hibee and a Hibby but we'll never play a team as 'the hibbies'.

Totally artificial distinction maybe but there you have it. On another note I've always quite liked that we're referred to primarily by our nickname of 'Hibs' - with the obvious exception of Hearts there aren't many teams that get that treatment. I like to think it reflects the cultural dimension of our club

On the other hand we are all one and the same. Players, management, fans, the club is all of us. The club needs all of us. So while you're artificial distinction has merit I don't see any real point in over thinking the terms .

Keith_M
09-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Tottenham Hotspur = Spurs.
Arsenal = The Arse.

Aim Here
09-10-2018, 07:51 PM
For the original question, Google shows up a reference to 'the Hibs' from an 1886 edition of 'Bon-Accord: The News of the North' in reference to them beating Dumbarton in an exciting game, so I suspect Hibs have been Hibs pretty much from the outset.

J-C
09-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Tottenham Hotspur = Spurs.
Arsenal = The Arse.

Gunners

erin go bragh
09-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Very good question.

I thought we were The Hibernians ie of the land of Ireland.

My son just bought me Hibernian history handbook.
When Fr Hannan ,.Michael Whelahan and some members of the parish were discussing a name for us .
The catholic Young Men’s Society Football Club , which was soon discounted as being too long -winded .
St Patrick’s,Harp,Shamrock,Emerald and Celtic were all suggested and dismissed.
Whelahan put forward Hibernians as the ancient order of Hibernians had been absorbed into the CYMS (Hibernians had been the ancient Roman word for the people of Ireland )

Kaiser_Sauzee
09-10-2018, 08:03 PM

hibernia: definition from Dictionary.com: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hibernia

Yes. The Roman’s called Ireland Hibernia. Some mammals ‘hibernate’ in the winter. Same etymology.

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Aye sung by Colin Chisholm, former lead singer of Edinburgh band Bilbo Baggins
(3 of them hailed fae Clermiston)

My wee brother Billy was Bilbo's roadie and he also sang backing vocals on Colin's Hibernian song.
When i say backing "vocals" I mean the ooh ahh bits !
I knew Colin well back in the day.
An old St Patrick's schoolboy is Colin.
I think he was dropped off the kitchen bunker as a bairn and woke up a Jambo !

Kato
09-10-2018, 08:08 PM
My son just bought me Hibernian history handbook.
When Fr Hannan ,.Michael Whelahan and some members of the parish were discussing a name for us .
The catholic Young Men’s Society Football Club , which was soon discounted as being too long -winded .
St Patrick’s,Harp,Shamrock,Emerald and Celtic were all suggested and dismissed.
Whelahan put forward Hibernians as the ancient order of Hibernians had been absorbed into the CYMS (Hibernians had been the ancient Roman word for the people of Ireland )

The club has always been called, officially, Hibernian.

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Yes. The Roman’s called Ireland Hibernia. Some mammals ‘hibernate’ in the winter. Same etymology.
HIBS used to hibernate every winter and no come oot till Spring usually after a promising start 😁

Colr
09-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Hence the word hibernate.

Caledonia means land of cold.

stoneyburn hibs
09-10-2018, 08:16 PM
I use:

This is exactly how I'd describe our name.

Diclonius
09-10-2018, 08:29 PM
As the song goes:

High-bee High-bernian

Aye but that was sang by a Hearts fan who hadn't a clue.

It's Hi-bernian.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2018, 08:40 PM
I had a football card, a reproduction from one produced in the early 1900s, with the phrase 'Play up Hib's' on it.

Doesn't really answer the question in the OP beyond the fact that it suggests the name has been in use for a large chunk of our history.

Forza Fred
10-10-2018, 12:14 AM
In Oz, I feel when asked by your average Aussie about what is the name of the team I support I have to respond with Hibernian...but among fellow Scots I simply respond with....Hibs.

I guess it’s a bit like the formalities with strangers...or more precisely the lack of formality with ‘family’ members...where we have our own nicknames that we are used to..and recognise them instantly and comfortably

Dashing Bob S
10-10-2018, 02:12 AM
In our early years, in fact right into the 1930s I believe, the written press would refer to us as Hibernians, 'Hibs' is just a shortened version of that.

This is true. More interesting question was when and why we stopped being called 'Hibernians' and started being referred to as 'Hibernian'.

Steve-O
10-10-2018, 02:13 AM
Too early in the morning for me.....I’ll get my coat!

Always been HIBS or Hibees as far back as I can remember and I have been supporting HIBS and going to matches for fifty years

To complicate matters even further and this may be of interest to the OP but nothing to do with the football club there is also Hutt International Boys School in NZ known as HIBS

Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery and there is also at one time or another been Cork HIBS Malta HIBS and Dundee HIBS I wonder what ever happened to them? :greengrin

In a strange twist of fate, I just bought a house about a mile away from that school. Even so far away, I am still close to HIBS :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2018, 06:23 AM
Jimmy Meikle in his book “Fitba Daft” Moved to the States to work for the British Consul and he had a private number plate on his car. He still has it and it appears on the books cover it is simply HIBS
He is forever getting stopped and being asked what this HIBS is/means??

Phil MaGlass
10-10-2018, 07:19 AM
I use:

So why not Hibbie?

IWasThere2016
17-10-2018, 09:05 AM
So why not Hibbie?

One less key stroke... :cb

ChrissyG1875
17-10-2018, 01:21 PM
This is true. More interesting question was when and why we stopped being called 'Hibernians' and started being referred to as 'Hibernian'.

I might be wrong but I’m sure we were called Hibernians before folding and then came back as Hibernian

Fanforlife
17-10-2018, 03:05 PM
I might be wrong but I’m sure we were called Hibernians before folding and then came back as Hibernian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkclub never folded,they could not field a worthwhile team to fulfil fixtures though but membership fees were paid by Hibernian swimming club until such time that they could field a team worthy of the name.

Kato
17-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Nope. Club was called Hibernian since 1875.

midfield_maestro
18-10-2018, 03:06 PM

What do you think hibernate means? Same root as French "hiver" (winter).

CropleyWasGod
18-10-2018, 03:10 PM
What do you think hibernate means?

It means to annihilate one's opposition with free-flowing football, does it not, sir?

Example. Ivan Sproule hibernated the Govanators.