PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon v Tony Mowbray: who would you regard as the superior Hibs manager?

CathroMustStay
07-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Yesterday's annihilation of Hamilton was Lenny's 108th game as our manager. It turns out that figure is also the number of games Mogga presided over at Easter Road.

Neil Lennon's current record = P108 W56 (51.9%) D34 (31.5%) L18 (16.6%)

Tony Mowbray's record = P108 W52 (48.1%) D16 (14.9%) L40 (37.0%)

There are various factors to consider. League finishes. Lenny's first season being in the 2nd tier. The context of how strong Scottish football is today in comparison to 2004-06. Youth development. Transfers. Cup records. Derby records. European records.

Tough call but I reckon Lenny edges it, although I think it would be fair to argue that we need a top 3 finish this season for that opinion to be justified.

cleanyman
07-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Tony Mowbray is a bum compared to Lenny

easty
07-10-2018, 08:06 PM
100% Neil Lennon

DH1875
07-10-2018, 08:07 PM
Neil Lennon and its not even close.

Keyser Sauzee
07-10-2018, 08:09 PM
I’d prefer Efe tbh

Fife-Hibee
07-10-2018, 08:10 PM
When we turned up, the football under Mowbray was second to none. We just didn't turn up as often as we should have. Plenty of games we lost that we should have won, as well as a number of hammerings that are best forgotten about.

Now we're winning more games, drawing more games and losing less games. The football isn't always top notch, but we have a grind about us that makes us very hard to beat.

When it comes to tallying up the points at the end of the season, those couple of extra wins combined with all those extra draws makes all the difference.

cleanyman
We need a fair comparison

Frank vs Terry

BullsCloseHibs
There is no debate here. Neil Lennon all day long.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2018, 08:11 PM
I have to say the first season of Mowbray's tenure was as good a season as i'd seen from us in a long time.

The way he brought on the kids and supplemented them with some astute signings was brilliant, those were exciting times for us.

This is different under Lennon, we have a manager that is building a team, a more grown up team if you know what i mean.

Some very good signings on decent length contracts, and a solid spine, and he's also giving youth a chance with Porteous and Shaw figuring. :top marks

I hope Lennon goes on to top anything Mowbray did.

hibsbollah
07-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Mowbray didn't have Dempster. Which muddies the comparison a bit. The relationship between a chairman and manager is the most important relationship in a football club. For what its worth, Mowbrays team, when it clicked, was like a dream to watch, and was the best ive ever seen us play. Lennons team is equally as good, and is also much more clinical at times, but Neil has a better environment in which to work.

ancient hibee
07-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Mowbray’s team was very good but he had no idea what makes a good goalie.Whereas Lennon?

hfc rd
07-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Neil Lennon. Not even close.

He’s the best Hibs manager in my lifetime and I really hope he is still here for as long as possible!

jacomo
07-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Mowbray didn't have Dempster. Which muddies the comparison a bit. The relationship between a chairman and manager is the most important relationship in a football club. For what its worth, Mowbrays team, when it clicked, was like a dream to watch, and was the best ive ever seen us play. Lennons team is equally as good, and is also much more clinical at times, but Neil has a better environment in which to work.

:agree:

Context is all. I love Lenny, and he’s done better overall, but important to remember that Mowbray and Mark Venus turned things around more or less on their own, and with very limited money too.

Boozy and David Murphy were simply astonishing signings at the time.

Of course, Mowbray did have the golden generation too, which was a massive help, but they were mostly pretty raw and needed good coaching..

oneone73
07-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Mowbray bottled the big games, especially Hampden, twice.

IGRIGI
07-10-2018, 08:32 PM
After Mowbray huddle in the middle of the pitch at ER as Celtic manager the question should be Calderwood vs Mowbray: who's the biggest ****?

bingo70
07-10-2018, 08:33 PM
I’m surprised people are being so dismissive about Tony Mowbrays side. That was a class hibs team.

FWIW I think Lennon too but I don’t agree with the ‘not even close’ sentiment from this thread.

The win % are similar but Mowbray has a much smaller budget and his whole hibs career was in the top flight.

DickieDastardly
07-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Lennon has brought a winning mentality and hard edge that I doubt I have seen in all my years watching Hibs.

Seems to have the total respect of the players, the media and the board - no one dares cross him nor under perform.

SMAXXA
07-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Here’s a question they should be asking Hibs or ehhh, let’s be honest when was the last Hibs manager to leave to go onto bigger and better things that actually worked out?

Btw if I’ve got a memory blank and there is an obvious time one excuseybatuoidness excuse my stupidness.

stantonhibby
07-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Here’s a question they should be asking Hibs or ehhh, let’s be honest when was the last Hibs manager to leave to go onto bigger and better things that actually worked out?

Btw if I’ve got a memory blank and there is an obvious time one excuseybatuoidness excuse my stupidness.

McLeish to Rangers

Sir David Gray
07-10-2018, 08:58 PM
I’m surprised people are being so dismissive about Tony Mowbrays side. That was a class hibs team.

FWIW I think Lennon too but I don’t agree with the ‘not even close’ sentiment from this thread.

The win % are similar but Mowbray has a much smaller budget and his whole hibs career was in the top flight.

Agreed.

I think the passage of time fades people's memories a bit.

Some of the football we played under Mowbray was outstanding and a number of the signings he made were top notch.

David Murphy and Guillaume Beuzelin were two of the best players I've ever seen at Hibs. He also helped to develop the young talent we had at the time like Scott Brown, Derek Riordan and Garry O'Connor and Steven Whittaker.

To get that team into 3rd place after we had come off a poor season under Bobby Williamson, where we had finished 8th and lost the League Cup final to an administration hit Livingston side, was no mean feat.

To put it into perspective, we haven't finished as high as that in the league table since then.

Weststandwanab
07-10-2018, 08:58 PM
I would not insult Mr. Lennon by even suggesting there is any comparison

tamig
07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Yesterday's annihilation of Hamilton was Lenny's 108th game as our manager. It turns out that figure is also the number of games Mogga presided over at Easter Road.

There are various factors to consider. League finishes. Lenny's first season being in the 2nd tier. The context of how strong Scottish football is today in comparison to 2004-06. Youth development. Transfers. Cup records. Derby records. European records.

Tough call but I reckon Lenny edges it, although I think it would be fair to argue that we need a top 3 finish this season for that opinion to be justified.

I don’t think Lenny edges it - he strolls it.

lapsedhibee
07-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Going to make a point of working this into as many conversations as I can. Lovely word. :agree:

The Spaceman
07-10-2018, 09:12 PM
100% Lennon.

We played some nice stuff under Mowbray, but Lennon has given us a ruthlessness and a steely resolve to win on top of often being highly entertaining. Lennon has also demonstrated an ability to see a team get "dismantled" i.e. losing your three best midfielders in one window but to swiftly address the situation and maybe even strengthen the team from that point.

Favourite ever Hibs manager. He fights for us.

Smartie
07-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Neil Lennon. He's my favourite ever Hibs manager.

I agree with those who point out that we are doing Mowbray a bit of a disservice with some of the "not even close" comments. Lennon took a bit of time to win folk round, with us not exactly blowing the competition away in the Championship. The truth is that that is a nightmare of a league to get out of (with teams packing their defences and playing anti-football) and he got the job done.

He's really come into his own in the Premier League though.

Mowbray had it a bit tougher with the board - he'd have loved to have had some of the backing Lennon has had. His best signings (Boozy, Murphy etc) were bargain basement unknowns and he did very well to unearth them.

What both managers have done well is to improve the players who were already here. Mowbray inherited a lot of potential, but he managed to get a lot from the players and help earn them their big moves. Lennon looks to have done similar already with McGinn, McGeouch and Cummings and may well to go on and do it for a few more.

Both really good managers though, and their times at Hibs have been amongst my favourites.

Lemonade
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
There is absolutely no comparison.
Lennon is streets ahead.

Hi Heid Yin
07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
For me, Neil Lennon is the best Hibs manager I have witnessed since Eddie Turnbull.
Mowbray brought great footie, but we always had a soft underbelly and capitulated big time far too often against Hearts. Mowbray's blind spot was goalkeepers. The howlers we endured and suffered in big games have been well documented.
Neil Lennon on the other hand has introduced not only pleasing-on-the-eye footie, but instilled grit, fight, resolve, desire, and a collective belief that Hibs can beat every team put before them, including all the SPL Big Guns. Mowbray's sides were too often beat before they walked out onto the park against The Jambos. Neil Lennon has our boys thinking the complete opposite.

Paisley Hibby
07-10-2018, 09:23 PM
I agree, Lennon is our best manager since Eddie Turnbull. Which probably makes him our 4th best manager of all time - just behind 1. Hugh Shaw 2. Eddie Turnbull 3. Jock Stein.

Tony Mowbray might just scrape into the top 10.

SMAXXA
07-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Going to make a point of working this into as many conversations as I can. Lovely word. :agree:

😂😂😂😂 ooops

AgentDaleCooper
07-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Lennon every day of every week. Mowbray is a born leader, Lennon is a born leader AND a born winner.

matty_f
07-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Mowbray didn't have the advantages that Lennon has - no money, boo training centre etc, but he still produced a team that played some breathtaking football at times.

I'd still say that Lennon is better though, he has brought a winning mentality that Mowbray never quite managed to instill - and his side plays very good football as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-10-2018, 09:33 PM
For me, the difference is that Lennon is building on solid foundations and is being allowed to rather than having to actively sell.

jakedance
07-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Lennon for me. He’s better tactically and making changes when things aren’t going well. Mowbray was great for Hibs though, his team were fantastic to watch at times. It’s difficult to compare them fairly though. Times are different now.

monktonharp
07-10-2018, 09:58 PM
After Mowbray huddle in the middle of the pitch at ER as Celtic manager the question should be Calderwood vs Mowbray: who's the biggest ****?think that comment is rather unfair. he became manager of a club that he had ties with and added to the fact with his family problems during the time with them he had shall we say an affinity with them and that Spat you refer to was bound to happen when he first returned to ER, representing another club When he was first appointed as our manager, my best mate(fellow Hibby) said......Mowbray? who the f is Mowbray? he went on to be a great manger with Hibernian, and had us playing fantastic football at times. As A founder member of our supporters club, I take pleasure in the fact that the branch still use his name "Mowbray". on the downside, I was personally disappointed when he quoted....football club managers only have a shelf life of 3 years. He probably is correct, in that sense but did not want to jump ship before giving us something.

Halmyre Hibee
07-10-2018, 09:58 PM
I would pick Lennon over Mowbray. We did play some great football under Mowbray but he did inherit the golden generation whereas Lennon and backroom staff have had to work hard to wheel and deal in the transfer market.

In my lifetime Eddie Turnbull still number one mainly due to the 400+ games he managed and I was a young lad at the time but what a team.

Ask me again if Lennon still with us in a few years and he will probably be my No 1

1. Turnbull (great team who should have won more but for a great Celtic team in the same era)
2. Lennon (because of how we are playing football and I look forward to every match)
3. Stubbs (because he delivered the Scottish Cup)
4. Mowbray / McLeish (some great football)

The_Exile
07-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Close but Lennon for me too. With Mowbrays team I would arrive and not know if we were going to play like Brazil or the Blue Brazil. Also, Mowbrays inability to pick a goalkeeper that looked like he could catch a ball will always stick in the craw a bit. Was it 4 years he gave to Zibi the week before he left? Sake.

kevinc
07-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Lennon for me. Mowbray did a fantastic job with the resources he had , but , Lennon has a completely different mentality. I think that Lennon has shown to be more pragmatic and adaptable than most managers in my lifetime but most importantly, for me, much more ruthless. He has no issue dealing with problems but is supportive of his team, yesterday at 3 nil continued to place demands on players for sloppiness , this encourages me. GGTTH

OsloHibs
07-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Tony made me fall in love with Hibs.

heretoday
07-10-2018, 11:59 PM
TM put together a pretty good team.

blaikie
08-10-2018, 04:31 AM
Mowbray is the behind Lennon and Stubbs for me

Just Jimmy
08-10-2018, 04:44 AM

The win % are similar but Mowbray has a much smaller budget and his whole hibs career was in the top flight.throw in the fact that he was competing against the financial doping at hearts at the time. as well as Rangers (RIP) and Celtic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

neil7908
08-10-2018, 06:50 AM
I loved Mowbray and that Hibs team but in all honesty we massively underachieved and he was fortunate to have such a high number of quality players coming through.

We'd have been genuinely challenging for the league if Lennon had been in charge of those players imo.

The Modfather
08-10-2018, 07:14 AM
It’s difficult to compare like for like with the stats given a season of Lennon’s were in the first division. I think Lennon is the better Hibs manager and his team would beat Mowbray’s team as we don’t have a soft underbelly anymore.

That being said, and it’s not a slight on Lennon’s team, which I love, but Mowbray’s team were more exiting. Not always for the right reasons, but used to love those random games where we’d find ourselves 3-0 down to Gretna at home before coming back to win 5-3 or some such. It was as frustrating at times as it was enjoyable but it was exciting never knowing what Hibs team would turn up or knowing when we were beaten.

Seveno
08-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Mowbray’s team played some wonderful attacking football but could be a defensive mess at times. His astonishing blindness when it came to goalkeepers made for some painful derby matches.

Lennon so often gets the tactics right in the big games and we have seen some excellent attacking play in 2018 despite having to rebuild our midfield. He has got his winning mentality over to the squad and it will be a sad day when he leaves us.

Lennon is the clear winner for me.

Diclonius
08-10-2018, 07:30 AM
I only became a Hibs fan in the 2005-06 season, and one of my most prominent memories of Tony Mowbray's Hibs is 0-4, 1-4, 0-4. In fact, the 0-4 at Hampden (the first Hibs game I ever attended) has made derby performances a massive barometer on how successful a manager is personally.

Lennon for me.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Used to love going along to Easter Road and all the talented young laddies running oot to the sound of “Teenage Kicks” by the Undertones.

The only thing was because of their youth inconsistency and inexperience they were either brilliant or rubbish.

I remember going up to Tannadice on Boxing Day sadly on the same day as the Tsunami as part of a large travelling HIBS support and the young laddies blew a very good Dundee United team away 4-1 playing fast exciting attacking football throwing caution to the wind.

The 2007 League Cup Win is Tony Mowbrays legacy

Before he chose to leave us I thought Tony Mowbray was the real deal

Neil Lennon is on track to have a better record and ultimately be a better Manager than Tony Mowbray but there is much work still to be done

Who said you win nothing with kids?

ian cruise
08-10-2018, 07:50 AM
100% Lennon.

We played some nice stuff under Mowbray, but Lennon has given us a ruthlessness and a steely resolve to win on top of often being highly entertaining. Lennon has also demonstrated an ability to see a team get "dismantled" i.e. losing your three best midfielders in one window but to swiftly address the situation and maybe even strengthen the team from that point.

Favourite ever Hibs manager. He fights for us.

I think this has been where Neil Lennon, assisted with our current set up, has shown where he has the difference over other modern day Hibs managers. Usually we have a manager who does well but once they start losing key members of the team the performances drop and a downward spiral begins. Neil has, in my opinion, faced this problem twice and very quickly rectified and arguably (early days this season) improved upon the previous situation.

First one was the striker situation last year where he had to replace a front line mid season and it was a great success, then the midfield this summer (beginning to show how good they can be).

That's what makes him truly stand out as a great manager for me.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Celtic fans in the pub yesterday were saying that lennon is the fans no1 choice to replace brenda at the end of the season

ian cruise
08-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Celtic fans in the pub yesterday were saying that lennon is the fans no1 choice to replace brenda at the end of the season

I've no doubt he's the fans choice, they still love him. Whether the club feel he's the right man is another matter, I hope they have bigger ambitions (purely from a selfish pont of view, I think the pull to return to Parkhead might be too much for NL to turn down).

cocteautwin
08-10-2018, 08:10 AM

I can understand that . . . . . . . Celtic poaching the team manager of the 2019 Double winning SPFL and Scottish Cup.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 08:25 AM

Yeah! I met some Celtic fans in a boozer in George Street in the summer who said they only wanted SJM as a bench warmer.

Keep dreaming!

Arrogant tossers!

:faf:

SirDavidsNapper
08-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Loved Mowbrays era. Some of the football was out of this world. Played Celtic and Rangers off the park in Glasgow regularly but would also regularly lose smaller teams. Too inconsistent and tactics sometimes questionable. Lennon is by far the superior manager and we have a better team now.

Forza Fred
08-10-2018, 08:31 AM
There is absolutely no comparison.
Lennon is streets ahead.

If there was ‘no comparison’ then you wouldn’t be posting in this thread🤭

Forza Fred
08-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Lennon never signed Zibi.......

CRAZYHIBBY
08-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Lennon never signed Zibi.......

But maybe in some parallel universe he did and zibi is world class

erin go bragh
08-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Lennon or Stubbs and Mowbray or Mcleish would be much closer to call .
Only one of they four won the Scottish cup . Lennon has the best win ratio and has us playing some cracking football. :cb I cannie choose .

Hibrandenburg
08-10-2018, 10:13 AM
The fact that 8 of Neil's team have been selected to represent their nations at different levels this week speaks volumes for the team he's managed to put together.

Jamesie
08-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Lennon has brought a winning mentality and hard edge that I doubt I have seen in all my years watching Hibs.

Seems to have the total respect of the players, the media and the board - no one dares cross him nor under perform.

This. I just don't see a Lennon team losing 0-4 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final v Hertz

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2018, 10:45 AM
This. I just don't see a Lennon team losing 0-4 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final v Hertz

With the O’Connor sale and Riordan absence and all the blousing over Murrayfield, Hibs bottled it as a club before the game even started. Impossible to see that happening under Lennon/Dempster.

Hibernia&Alba
08-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Big Mogga had us playing some lovely football, but I think Lennon is far ahead of him tactically.

WeeRussell
08-10-2018, 12:27 PM
Used to love going along to Easter Road and all the talented young laddies running oot to the sound of “Teenage Kicks” by the Undertones.

The only thing was because of their youth inconsistency and inexperience they were either brilliant or rubbish.

I remember going up to Tannadice on Boxing Day sadly on the same day as the Tsunami as part of a large travelling HIBS support and the young laddies blew a very good Dundee United team away 4-1 playing fast exciting attacking football throwing caution to the wind.

Neil Lennon is on track to have a better record and ultimately be a better Manager than Tony Mowbray but there is much work still to be done

California-Hibs
08-10-2018, 12:47 PM
It's kinda silly. Not even close, Lennon for many reasons previously stated.

Doh Rae Me
08-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Neil all the way though Mogga was a breath of fresh air when he came in and we played some seriously good footy.

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2018, 12:57 PM
The fact that 8 of Neil's team have been selected to represent their nations at different levels this week speaks volumes for the team he's managed to put together.

Mowbray would've had
Whittaker
Caldwell
O'Connor
Riordan
Thomson
Brown
Fletcher
Murray
Zemamma
Benji

Who were all internationals. Fletcher probably didn't get caps under mowbray but I think rest would have?

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Dundee United were hopeless that season, were probably bottom going into that game.

Speedy
08-10-2018, 01:16 PM

That game was worse than the 5-1 game. In the final i knew we'd get horsed, the 4-0 game I thought we had a good chance.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Dundee United were hopeless that season, were probably bottom going into that game.
Aye you are probably correct
They were flirting with relegation all season until they went on a late run beating Rangers Hearts and Dundee eventually finishing ninth
If you look at my previous posts you will realise that I never let the facts interfere with a good story
Still enjoyed Mowbrays young team though 😁⚽️👍🏾🇳🇬🏆

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
I can see us winning silverware with this team after minor tweaking in January can’t you?
That would really set him a class apart
OK he has won the Championship and got us playing with belief but so did McLeish

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Bizarre question, there’s no comparison at all.

SirDavidsNapper
08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Standing ovations after scintillating passages play were common in the old east stand in games we would ultimately end up failing to win.

IGRIGI
08-10-2018, 02:32 PM
It's hard to pick the most embarrassing derby defeat under Mowbray, regular pumping with 4 goals blasting past Zibi and co regularly.

Zazu62
08-10-2018, 02:47 PM
It's hard to pick the most embarrassing derby defeat under Mowbray, regular pumping with 4 goals blasting past Zibi and co regularly.

Yeah we were well beaten quite a few times didn’t even compete

G B Young
08-10-2018, 03:05 PM
That game was worse than the 5-1 game. In the final i knew we'd get horsed, the 4-0 game I thought we had a good chance.

We had no chance in that game with Riordan, Brown, Killen and Stewart all out injured or suspended. To compound things we'd sold O'Connor days before which was crazy timing.

Mowbray endured some grim derby defeats but he also won a few too, including ending the 'unbeatable' yams' run as well as an all too rare win at Tynecastle.

Mogga was brilliant for Hibs after some horrible years post-McLeish. A third and fourth place finish in his two full seasons with us was good going and he unquestionably laid the foundations for the 2007 League Cup win.

Lennon, though, has taken us to a different level and for as long as he's here we'll always be highly competitive.

Jack Hackett
08-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Would he even want to go back to them? He'll still have a soft spot for them, but doesn't mean he's ready to jump back into that environment. He's happy at Hibs. He's building a cracking team with a fraction of the big boys budget, and I think he relishes the challenge. To take Hibs to the stage where they're challenging at the top will be a massive achievement, and he wouldn't be getting the pressure he'll get in Glasgow to actually do that. He's a fit for Hibs, no doubt, and I think Hibs are a fit for him.

I liked Tony Mowbray... I love Neil Lennon. I hope and pray he'll stay with us and get his legend status.

Barman Stanton
08-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Mowbray was probably my favourite manager before Lennon. Lennon is a different level though.

CMurdoch
08-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Under Mowbray attendances grew by 40%, the football was exciting and the team successful.
However, the club was still a shambles as almost all clubs were e.g. training at Wardie Park, playing in a ground with a glorified shed down one side of the pitch, Rod getting abuse as he tried to bring the ground into the 21st century. Lots of financial pressure. Mowbray worked and succeeded under that mess which was no mean feat. He is doing okay in the Championship with Blackburn at the moment

Lennon came in with the club financially stable, east mains in place, the ground finished, on the back of the Scottish Cup win. Massive crowds therefore a good player budget. A good structure at the club of Leanne, George, a happier Rod, medical and analyst back up etc etc etc.

Saying that Lennon has made good use of everything at his disposal. If Lennon, Dempster and Craig stay together we will improve again next season with probably 4 more good signings (this season it was Milligan, Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan). Lennon is only half the equation, with the big crowds financing the recruitment and George and his team finding the RIGHT players.

In conclusion Mowbray and Lennon had different challenges and did/are doing their best for Hibs with what they have at their disposal.

What do they have in common?
Both got rid of Stokesie after much provocation.

LaMotta
08-10-2018, 07:31 PM
The three derby humpings off Hearts under Mowbray were horrendous, but Mowbray managed to pull a rabbit out the hat following each one that dampened the anger a bit:

First defeat at PBS we then won 3 nil at Ibrox a few weeks later and we won the return derby game which was the unbeatable derby.

Second defeat in January we went to Ibrox the week after and won 3 nil in the cup.

Third defeat (SC semi) we won a few weeks later at Easter Road in the league.

Mowbrays biggest failing for me was his inability to sort our our goalkeeping problem, and even giving Zibby a contract extension. Madness. Lennon would have sorted that situation out I have no doubt.

Lago
08-10-2018, 08:04 PM

N. L by a mile.

Hibrandenburg
09-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Mowbray would've had
Whittaker
Caldwell
O'Connor
Riordan
Thomson
Brown
Fletcher
Murray
Zemamma
Benji

Who were all internationals. Fletcher probably didn't get caps under mowbray but I think rest would have?

At the same time though?

Juniper Greens
09-10-2018, 06:54 AM
I remember Mowbray giving an interview after a game, saying if we played that way every week we would "win more games than we lose".
That sums up the difference to me. Lennon wouldn't tolerate anyone at the club saying that just now

Northernhibee
09-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Lennon. Top scorers in the league and a very talented squad.

SChibs
09-10-2018, 07:31 AM
I remember Mowbray giving an interview after a game, saying if we played that way every week we would "win more games than we lose".
That sums up the difference to me. Lennon wouldn't tolerate anyone at the club saying that just now

I may be mistaken but I think Lennon said something similar after the Aberdeen cup game a few weeks ago. I might be thinking of someone else saying it though

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Neil Lennon seems to be getting the upper hand on this thread in the battle with Mogga and hopefully he can go onto further success as he moulds this current squad to match his ambition

In my eyes and perhaps in the eyes of some older posters Neil Lennon still has to go some to match imo our best ever Manager and Coach Eddie Turnbulll

It might also be worth asking ourselves the question what if Jock Stein had stayed at HIBS?

That is a big IF but he certainly had HIBS going in the right direction before he left taking Celtic onto European and domestic glory.

My_Wife_Camille
09-10-2018, 07:50 AM
I think it's a real shame that so many people on here are being so dismissive of Tony Mowbray and his team.

Short memories indeed

Carheenlea
09-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Neil Lennon is by far the best Hibs manager in my lifetime. Started going mid/late 70’s when Eddie Turnbull was in decline. Tony Mowbray was our first manager to have me desperately counting the hours until the next game such was the enjoyment of his football, but I have that now and even more so with Lennon. Alan Stubbs is ingrained into Hibs folklore and that goes without saying, but Lennon is streets ahead tactically and his higher demands of the players has upped our level considerably. I’m actually still surprised we were able to appoint such a high profile manager in Neil Lennon.

The_Horde
09-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Lennon has built a good side but he's always had the steady base of success to work from.

Mowbray had a disillusioned support, board and team to work with and turned them around very quickly with a few additions of his own too.

Mowbray for me so far. Without him we'd have won nothing in 2007 and we'd probably be sharing Oriam with hertz.

Bad Martini
09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
There is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Lennon by a country mile for many reasons.

Putting aside the goalkeeping issues Mowbray had, he DID have a great squad and some great players. He made an arse of some man management by all accounts, teams were great when great but too often were inconsistent. Worse still; we bottled it when it mattered. As Green Day said, nice guys finish last. Mowbray was by all accounts a "nice guy" (though screwed up the Riordan thing and some other player issues as I mentioned) BUT, he won nothing.

Sick of this pish about how Tony's team won the cup. Tony's team had plenty chances to win a cup; they bottled it. Bottom line. Looked good sometimes but bottled it. Whether folk dewy eyed or not like it, John Collins, was a winner. He won the cup. WITH Tony's Team? I have my doubts on that and if he did, why couldn't uncle Tony manage it with "his" team?

Nice guy but won nothing.

No comparison to Lennon and not so poor off as some suggest.

If Lennon had inherited the "golden generation" I'd wager he would have done more with them, got more from them and won something/more.

No hard feelings to Mowbray; he produced some good football and the results versus der hun were braw. But, ultimately insignificant when we won nowt.

Lennon on the other hand, given some time....who knows.:flag:

WeeRussell
09-10-2018, 11:37 AM
I think it's a real shame that so many people on here are being so dismissive of Tony Mowbray and his team.

Short memories indeed

Way of the world. I'm quite confident if Mowbray was currently in charge playing the football we witnessed under him, with all his signings and achievements in those seasons and we were looking back comparing Lennon's tenure (based on achievements to date).. there wouldn't be so many "no comparison" type posts in favour of our current manager.

Just like there will be changes in tone about our current team on here throughout this season. Potentially in about 3 weeks' time! Hopefully it's an even bigger buzz about our current team and manager after seeing off a difficult run of fixtures.

We haven't yet managed to finish 3rd in the top league under Lennon, or win 'meaningful' silverware. Good times at Easter Road and I have every faith in our current boss... but some are forgetting some pretty good times and achievements under previous managers very easily.

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2018, 12:00 PM
There is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Lennon by a country mile for many reasons.

Putting aside the goalkeeping issues Mowbray had, he DID have a great squad and some great players. He made an arse of some man management by all accounts, teams were great when great but too often were inconsistent. Worse still; we bottled it when it mattered. As Green Day said, nice guys finish last. Mowbray was by all accounts a "nice guy" (though screwed up the Riordan thing and some other player issues as I mentioned) BUT, he won nothing.

Sick of this pish about how Tony's team won the cup. Tony's team had plenty chances to win a cup; they bottled it. Bottom line. Looked good sometimes but bottled it. Whether folk dewy eyed or not like it, John Collins, was a winner. He won the cup. WITH Tony's Team? I have my doubts on that and if he did, why couldn't uncle Tony manage it with "his" team?

Nice guy but won nothing.

No comparison to Lennon and not so poor off as some suggest.

If Lennon had inherited the "golden generation" I'd wager he would have done more with them, got more from them and won something/more.

No hard feelings to Mowbray; he produced some good football and the results versus der hun were braw. But, ultimately insignificant when we won nowt.

Lennon on the other hand, given some time....who knows.:flag:
Lennon has won nothing either so far? Strange to hold that only against Mowbray.

Kato
09-10-2018, 01:51 PM

Short memories indeed

I wonder how Lennon would manage on Mowbray's budget? I also wonder how he'd fare in the Derby game if Hearts still had a £10M per annum player budget.

The Spaceman
09-10-2018, 02:15 PM
I am not so sure Lennon will be desperate to go back to Celtic - he had a torrid time in terms of the whole bullets in the post, Hearts fan attacking him etc, which he does not get with us. He also guided them to famous victories again Barcelona, got them into the Champions League last 16, won titles etc...he doesn't have much more he could achieve there but would risk his rebuilt reputation as a manager if he went back.

tamig
09-10-2018, 05:38 PM
With the O’Connor sale and Riordan absence and all the blousing over Murrayfield, Hibs bottled it as a club before the game even started. Impossible to see that happening under Lennon/Dempster.

We had several big players out and some half fit. There were mitigating circumstances. Oh and Zibi too.

tamig
09-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Under Mowbray attendances grew by 40%, the football was exciting and the team successful.
However, the club was still a shambles as almost all clubs were e.g. training at Wardie Park, playing in a ground with a glorified shed down one side of the pitch, Rod getting abuse as he tried to bring the ground into the 21st century. Lots of financial pressure. Mowbray worked and succeeded under that mess which was no mean feat. He is doing okay in the Championship with Blackburn at the moment

Lennon came in with the club financially stable, east mains in place, the ground finished, on the back of the Scottish Cup win. Massive crowds therefore a good player budget. A good structure at the club of Leanne, George, a happier Rod, medical and analyst back up etc etc etc.

Saying that Lennon has made good use of everything at his disposal. If Lennon, Dempster and Craig stay together we will improve again next season with probably 4 more good signings (this season it was Milligan, Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan). Lennon is only half the equation, with the big crowds financing the recruitment and George and his team finding the RIGHT players.

In conclusion Mowbray and Lennon had different challenges and did/are doing their best for Hibs with what they have at their disposal.

What do they have in common?
Both got rid of Stokesie after much provocation.

Just a couple of points.

When was Rod getting abuse with Mowbray in charge about bringing the ground up to date. The East Stand rebuild - and the announcement of it - was way after Mowbray’s time. Mowbray initiated East Mains though.

Stokesie had been nowhere near Hibs during Mowbray’s tenure.

GRA
09-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Mowbrays team was great to watch. So entertaining but really inconsistent. Still have the entertainment and inconsistency with Lennon but he has definitely got rid of the 'boy band' image that plagued Mowbrays time.

Injected far more steel into us and a winners mentality so gotta be Lenny. But I liked Mogga and think we could have achieved great things if he stuck around for a couple more years and kept that team together.

Smartie
09-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Mowbrays team was great to watch. So entertaining but really inconsistent. Still have the entertainment and inconsistency with Lennon but he has definitely got rid of the 'boy band' image that plagued Mowbrays time.

Injected far more steel into us and a winners mentality so gotta be Lenny. But I liked Mogga and think we could have achieved great things if he stuck around for a couple more years and kept that team together.

Terry Butcher or Colin Calderwood would have had success if they'd been in charge of those players and able to keep them together.

It was never going to be possible though.

My_Wife_Camille
09-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Just a couple of points.

When was Rod getting abuse with Mowbray in charge about bringing the ground up to date. The East Stand rebuild - and the announcement of it - was way after Mowbray’s time. Mowbray initiated East Mains though.

He never said he was :cb

hfc rd
09-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Just a couple of points.

Mowbray had Stokes at Blackburn which didn’t last that long, like his 3rd stint at Hibs, is what he was referring too.

tamig
09-10-2018, 10:15 PM
He never said he was :cb

Ah. Did Mowbray boot him out of Celtic. Oops.

Edit - just seen the latest reply re Blackburn.

hfc rd
09-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Ah. Did Mowbray boot him out of Celtic. Oops.

No I think that was Deila or Rodgers

tamig
09-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Mowbray had Stokes at Blackburn which didn’t last that long, like his 3rd stint at Hibs, is what he was referring too.

Cheers bud.

Squealing pig
09-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Lennon 110%

houstonhibbee
09-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Over the piece I don't think you can say results under Lennon have been inconsistent. Performances maybe but very few defeats.

147lothian
10-10-2018, 07:05 PM
I don't like comparing current managers to those from a different era, so i'll just say that when Stubbs left us we undoubtedly got the best manager realistically available, and that under Lennon / Dempster the club is in good hands the best possible and this makes supporting the team a joy at this moment in time.

brydekirk
10-10-2018, 07:46 PM
100% Neil Lennon

Agree : Mowbray inherited a good squad.
Lennon is making a great team.

Sir David Gray
10-10-2018, 08:33 PM

I would say Mowbray inherited a potentially good squad but he was the one who turned it into literally a good squad.

This was our squad of players as he arrived at the club in the summer of 2004;

Jonathan Baillie (19)
Gary Caldwell (22)
Jay Shields (19)
Gary Smith (33)
Steven Whittaker (20)
Scott Brown (19)
Stephen Glass (28)
Jamie McCluskey (17)
Kevin McDonald (19)
Ian Murray (23)
Kevin Nicol (22)
Alen Orman (26)
Kevin Thomson (20)
Stephen Dobbie (22)
Steven Fletcher (17)
Garry O'Connor (21)
Derek Riordan (21)
Colin Murdock (29)
Grant Brebner (27)
Alan Reid (24)
Tam McManus (23)
Alistair Brown (19)

With the exception of a few individuals, he inherited a very young squad, full of talented players who had yet to reach their potential. He inherited a squad which had just finished 8th in the SPL and then after a few shrewd buys like Murphy and Beuzelin, managed to blend the new guys in with the existing players and got us up to 3rd in his first season in charge. It's a position we haven't managed to finish in since.

We also only had one player over the age of 30 when he took over, which is quite incredible. If you compare that to our present squad, we now have David Gray, Steven Whittaker, Mark Milligan, Marvin Bartley, Lewis Stevenson and Darren McGregor all 30 and above and Efe Ambrose is turning 30 next week. There's a lot of experienced pros around the place for our young talented players of today like Ryan Porteous and Oli Shaw to look up to.

I love Neil Lennon and what he's doing for us right now but I honestly don't see that the gap between him and Mowbray is so big.

Northernhibee
11-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Short memories indeed

Yep. You don’t have to put the other person down to stand up for the other.

Both managers advanced our club on the pitch tenfold. As did Stubbsy.

My_Wife_Camille
11-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Lennon inherited a better squad than Mowbray.

Lennon inherited a very strong squad of Scottish Cup winners, high value players and experienced pro's. Mowbray inherited a squad of generally unproven teenagers and turned them into one of the best and most exciting teams we've seen.

SirDavidsNapper
11-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Important to remember the huge management experience Lennon had by the time he came to Hibs compared to Mowbray who was just starting out.