PDA

View Full Version : Americans scoring for hibs

Hibbykk
07-10-2018, 07:57 AM
The guys behind me yesterday saying that Hyndman was first American to score for Hibs.

Gerry Baker (Joe's brother)
was born in New Rochelle, New York, was capped 7 times by the USA. He scored 43 goals for Hibs.

:nlgwa

Tinribs
07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Didn't know that, if I had been asked I would have agreed with them without hesitation 😳

Iggy Pope
07-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Derek Spalding capped for the USA and I recall one raker v Celtic on a windy Wednesday night.
Don’t know what made him eligible.....

oneone73
07-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Derek Spalding capped for the USA and I recall one raker v Celtic on a windy Wednesday night.

I remember him scoring a scorcher up at Tannadice, midweek game.

StevieC
07-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Can Spalding count? Born in Scotland and he didn't emigrate to America till after he left Hibs

Hibbyradge
07-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Can Spalding count?

It's his nationality we're interested, not his arithmetical competence.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2018, 08:38 PM
Can Spalding count? Born in Scotland and he didn't emigrate to America till after he left Hibs

Stevie, Hibs knew DS was leaving to get married but retained his registration in case he didn't settle in the US. Technically, he was still a Hibs player :greengrin

StevieC
07-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Stevie, Hibs knew DS was leaving to get married but retained his registration in case he didn't settle in the US. Technically, he was still a Hibs player :greengrin

True, but was Scottish when he scored his goals .. and (to the best of my knowledge) didn't score whilst an American.

And by "score" I mean goals Hibbyradge!

Hibbyradge
07-10-2018, 09:17 PM
True, but was Scottish when he scored his goals .. and (to the best of my knowledge) didn't score whilst an American.

And by "score" I mean goals Hibbyradge!

:tee hee:

Lemonade
07-10-2018, 09:29 PM
It's his nationality we're interested, not his arithmetical competence.

Brilliant :greengrin

Forza Fred
08-10-2018, 04:04 AM
Gerry Baker was a superb striker for Hibs and To this day I think in the very early sixties, him scoring them at one end, and Ronnie Simpson stopping them at the other, saved us from relegation.

Most would know Joe Baker scored 9 goals for us in a Scottish Cup tie, but may not be aware his brother scored 10 in a cup tie for St Mirren.

Gerry’s daughter was an athlete (hurdler?) who represented England and eventually settled in Adelaide.

His grandson ...whose surname is Strain, actually plays right back in the A League for Adelaide United, so the Baker genes live on....

KazHibby
08-10-2018, 04:36 AM
Gerry Baker was a superb striker for Hibs and To this day I think in the very early sixties, him scoring them at one end, and Ronnie Simpson stopping them at the other, saved us from relegation.

Most would know Joe Baker scored 9 goals for us in a Scottish Cup tie, but may not be aware his brother scored 10 in a cup tie for St Mirren.

Gerry’s daughter was an athlete (hurdler?) who represented England and eventually settled in Adelaide.

His grandson ...whose surname is Strain, actually plays right back in the A League for Adelaide United, so the Baker genes live on....

Lorraine Baker 800m runner, ran for England at Commonwealth games in Edinburgh and both the LA and Barcelona Olympics!

Iggy Pope
08-10-2018, 04:49 AM

And I didn't know that. I also now know that he was a Scot and was (:greengrin) possibly the last US Internationalist to score for us whilst registered at the club.
Every day a school day.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Didn’t know that David Wotherspoon (Spoonie) is now Canadian?

I know not American but almost.

Wonder what happened to him? :greengrin

ian cruise
08-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Still plays for St Johnstone and had a torrid time yesterday according to radio commentary

Jamesie
08-10-2018, 10:30 AM

I remember we had a couple of Canadians on the books in the late 90s - Russell Huggon and Emilio Bottiglieri - neither of them made any significant number of appearances and no recollection of either scoring though. Mike Franks was Canadian as well although as a goalie probably even less likely to score!

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2018, 11:01 AM
I remember we had a couple of Canadians on the books in the late 90s - Russell Huggon and Emilio Bottiglieri - neither of them made any significant number of appearances and no recollection of either scoring though. Mike Franks was Canadian as well although as a goalie probably even less likely to score!

Paul Fenwick Canadian centre half very good player scored four goals for us