PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hamilton 061018)

Jonnyboy
06-10-2018, 06:28 PM
We did today what we could and should have done to Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago. Against the Dons we missed chance after chance but on this occasion a high percentage of those chances went in and for once I found myself agreeing with Allan Preston who’s after match summary from Easter Road was that he thought Hibs could easily have had ten. Yes, that Hamilton side was woeful but Hibs at times were sparkling and the poorness of the opposition should not be allowed to overshadow a clinical and highly entertaining performance from Hibs.

Taking on board my pre match read of Hibs.net I decided I’d leave my home in Macmerry half an hour earlier than usual due to the dire warnings of traffic chaos for anyone travelling from the east side of town. Thirty minutes later I was at ER and never encountered any traffic problems at all! My journey was reflected in Hibs’ performance today in that they got through the traffic of Hamilton’s midfield and defence without any great difficulty and hit the visitors for six.

During the warm up there was a nice touch as James Keatings trotted towards the East Stand and received a worthy round of applause which he reciprocated. Meanwhile, many Hibs fans got their first look at Nelom and must surely have been impressed with his barnet.

Once the game got underway it was Hibs in command from the off and both Boyle and Kamberi might have done better with half chances. Hamilton rarely troubled the Hibs defence but around the 17th minute, indecision between Porteous and Ambrose gifted Bingham a chance to open the scoring but Bogdan was quick off his line to block the shot.

In midfield, Mallan was spraying passes around and Hyndman with both his distribution and work rate was excellent while the clever play of Mark Milligan allowed both the room to do so. Some 25 minutes in, Hibs broke the deadlock when a blocked Hyndman shot defected into Boyler’s path and the Hibs No. 10 wasted no time in shooting high into the net. Moments later Boyle broke on the right and received Kamberi’s pass but his shot across the advancing keeper whistled just wide of the post. Hamilton were rocking and Hibs doubled their advantage around ten minutes from half time when Mallan let go a fierce effort which took a slight deflection as it arrowed past Woods in the Accies goal.

It would be remiss of me to mention three of our midfield players without mentioning the fourth. Slivka played on the right of the diamond and was excellent throughout. He is so comfortable in possession and always available to help repel attacks at one end and create them at the other.

About five minutes after Mallan’s strike, Hyndman brilliantly finished off a pass from Boyle on the left by letting the ball reach his right foot before steering it into the bottom corner and giving Woods no chance to save it. It was a goal well deserved as he’d had a very impressive first half.

After the interval, Hamilton seemed to change their game plan and started trying to push forward more but in truth they offered very little and Bogdan had an easy afternoon of it. Both Kamberi and Mallan had chances to extend Hibs’ lead but both were disappointed to see their efforts fly off target. Kamberi in particular was having a difficult time of it. Given what we saw of him last season his lack of movement in this game was obvious and he’s clearly suffering confidence wise and quite probably fitness wise too.

The introduction of Daryl Horgan in place of the tiring Hyndman brought fresh impetus to our midfield and the wee fella will be having nightmares tonight about a left foot effort that very nearly reached the upper tier of the Famous Five. It should however be his involvement in our fourth goal that should occupy his thoughts after he drew a couple of defenders towards him before squaring for Mallan to hammer home another cracker from outside the box. That goal was a thing of beauty and Woods had no chance as it dipped and swerved beyond him.

It seemed to me as though his team mates were desperate to set Flo up with a goal and in the dying embers of the game they did just that as the big Swiss striker raced into the box and fired low past Woods. His reaction after the goal was interesting as he turned to the East Stand and cupped one ear. No doubt he’d heard some of the stuff being shouted at him but he really needs to work on his ear cupping as he’s some distance behind Lenny in that regard.

Sixty seconds later a poor pass from a Hamilton defender allowed Flo to once more race into the box and as the angle narrowed he tried to square the ball to substitute Jamie Gullan but it hit off Kilgallon and rolled into the empty net.

This was a job well done and I hope the players enjoy their enforced break before heading to Celtic Park for their next outing. Mind you, we’ve that many international players on the books now that a fair few won’t get any such break.

The players

Adam – His early save was crucial as it came when the score was 0-0. Had little else to do but was commanding of high balls into the box and his distribution was spot on. Watching from the bench was fit again Rocky but I don’t think Adam deserves to be dropped given his form.

SDG – David really is the perfect captain. He leads by example and never stops working as he plies his trade up and down the right flank. Went off injured after a 50/50 clash but at least he has a couple of weeks to recover.

Efe – Once again Efe was immense and really did make it look like pipe and slippers time against Hamilton. I heard Lenny say that Efe is in the best form he’s seen for some time and I can’t argue with that.

Ryan – Another fine 90 minutes from Porteous who is clearly learning in every game. Excellent in the air and is reading the game well too. Not sure what his thirty five yard first half effort on goal was all about though!

Lewis – Another excellent performance from Lewis who never put a foot wrong in the whole game. I always struggle to understand those around me that moan when he plays the ball back the way. Would they prefer he tried something else and lost out. Retaining possession is often key and Lewis excels at that.

Slivka – As I said earlier, he played on the right side of the diamond and was excellent throughout. He is very confident in possession, can pick a pass and looked every bit the player we all want him to be.

Mark – What a player this guy is. Glides around midfield, breaking up play from the opposition and importantly in my view, talks all the time and I’m sure the likes of Porteous, Hyndman and Mallan all benefit from that.

Emerson – I thought he was superb today. Always looking for the ball, played a few telling passes and today I was delighted to see him up his game physically on a couple of occasions. His goal looked so simple but it was actually very skilfully taken.

Stevie – Has scored nine goals this season already and every one from outside the box. The laddie just oozes class and the good news is that coaching will make him even better. Got the man of the match award today, from the sponsors.

Boyler – Australia’s gain could be Scotland’s loss in my opinion. I’ve heard fans of other clubs expressing astonishment that McLeish hasn’t at least brought him into his squad. Today he took his goal well, might have had another two and had at least one assist.

Flo – You know what, I feel heart sorry for Flo as he is clearly lacking in confidence, bad news for a striker and doesn’t look 100% fit. Today he was caught in possession a few times but to his credit he kept on going and took his goal very well. That goal will boost the confidence and the break will give his body a rest.

Daryl – Buzzed around and worked very hard whilst offering an assist for Mallan’s second goal. I like him best in a central role and he looked at home there today.

Jamie Gullan – Hammer scores goals for fun in the Development team and might have gotten a first team goal today but Flo’s pass was knocked in by a defender as Jamie waited to pounce.

Nelom – Wasn’t really on the pitch for that long but took up the left back berth with Lewis moved into midfield.

Lenny – Rightly happy with his charges and made that very plain in his after match interview.

My man of the match – I had three or four in the frame and really it could have been any of them but once again, Efe rises to the top.

The ref – Pretty anonymous which equates to a decent performance but it was an easy game to ref in truth.

The fans – Two ‘singing sections’ giving it laldy but I was surprised at 4-0 and cruising at just how quiet it was. It was a nice touch clapping Keatings when he came off the bench.

04Sauzee
06-10-2018, 06:35 PM
We did today what we could and should have done to Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago. Against the Dons we missed chance after chance but on this occasion a high percentage of those chances went in and for once I found myself agreeing with Allan Preston who’s after match summary from Easter Road was that he thought Hibs could easily have had ten. Yes, that Hamilton side was woeful but Hibs at times were sparkling and the poorness of the opposition should not be allowed to overshadow a clinical and highly entertaining performance from Hibs.

Taking on board my pre match read of Hibs.net I decided I’d leave my home in Macmerry half an hour earlier than usual due to the dire warnings of traffic chaos for anyone travelling from the east side of town. Thirty minutes later I was at ER and never encountered any traffic problems at all! My journey was reflected in Hibs’ performance today in that they got through the traffic of Hamilton’s midfield and defence without any great difficulty and hit the visitors for six.

During the warm up there was a nice touch as James Keatings trotted towards the East Stand and received a worthy round of applause which he reciprocated. Meanwhile, many Hibs fans got their first look at Nelom and must surely have been impressed with his barnet.

Once the game got underway it was Hibs in command from the off and both Boyle and Kamberi might have done better with half chances. Hamilton rarely troubled the Hibs defence but around the 17th minute, indecision between Porteous and Ambrose gifted Bingham a chance to open the scoring but Bogdan was quick off his line to block the shot.

In midfield, Mallan was spraying passes around and Hyndman with both his distribution and work rate was excellent while the clever play of Mark Milligan allowed both the room to do so. Some 25 minutes in, Hibs broke the deadlock when a blocked Hyndman shot defected into Boyler’s path and the Hibs No. 10 wasted no time in shooting high into the net. Moments later Boyle broke on the right and received Kamberi’s pass but his shot across the advancing keeper whistled just wide of the post. Hamilton were rocking and Hibs doubled their advantage around ten minutes from half time when Mallan let go a fierce effort which took a slight deflection as it arrowed past Woods in the Accies goal.

It would be remiss of me to mention three of our midfield players without mentioning the fourth. Slivka played on the right of the diamond and was excellent throughout. He is so comfortable in possession and always available to help repel attacks at one end and create them at the other.

About five minutes after Mallan’s strike, Hyndman brilliantly finished off a pass from Boyle on the left by letting the ball reach his right foot before steering it into the bottom corner and giving Woods no chance to save it. It was a goal well deserved as he’d had a very impressive first half.

After the interval, Hamilton seemed to change their game plan and started trying to push forward more but in truth they offered very little and Bogdan had an easy afternoon of it. Both Kamberi and Mallan had chances to extend Hibs’ lead but both were disappointed to see their efforts fly off target. Kamberi in particular was having a difficult time of it. Given what we saw of him last season his lack of movement in this game was obvious and he’s clearly suffering confidence wise and quite probably fitness wise too.

The introduction of Daryl Horgan in place of the tiring Hyndman brought fresh impetus to our midfield and the wee fella will be having nightmares tonight about a left foot effort that very nearly reached the upper tier of the Famous Five. It should however be his involvement in our fourth goal that should occupy his thoughts after he drew a couple of defenders towards him before squaring for Mallan to hammer home another cracker from outside the box. That goal was a thing of beauty and Woods had no chance as it dipped and swerved beyond him.

It seemed to me as though his team mates were desperate to set Flo up with a goal and in the dying embers of the game they did just that as the big Swiss striker raced into the box and fired low past Woods. His reaction after the goal was interesting as he turned to the East Stand and cupped one ear. No doubt he’d heard some of the stuff being shouted at him but he really needs to work on his ear cupping as he’s some distance behind Lenny in that regard.

Sixty seconds later a poor pass from a Hamilton defender allowed Flo to once more race into the box and as the angle narrowed he tried to square the ball to substitute Jamie Gullan but it hit off Kilgallon and rolled into the empty net.

This was a job well done and I hope the players enjoy their enforced break before heading to Celtic Park for their next outing. Mind you, we’ve that many international players on the books now that a fair few won’t get any such break.

The players

Adam – His early save was crucial as it came when the score was 0-0. Had little else to do but was commanding of high balls into the box and his distribution was spot on. Watching from the bench was fit again Rocky but I don’t think Adam deserves to be dropped given his form.

SDG – David really is the perfect captain. He leads by example and never stops working as he plies his trade up and down the right flank. Went off injured after a 50/50 clash but at least he has a couple of weeks to recover.

Efe – Once again Efe was immense and really did make it look like pipe and slippers time against Hamilton. I heard Lenny say that Efe is in the best form he’s seen for some time and I can’t argue with that.

Ryan – Another fine 90 minutes from Porteous who is clearly learning in every game. Excellent in the air and is reading the game well too. Not sure what his thirty five yard first half effort on goal was all about though!

Lewis – Another excellent performance from Lewis who never put a foot wrong in the whole game. I always struggle to understand those around me that moan when he plays the ball back the way. Would they prefer he tried something else and lost out. Retaining possession is often key and Lewis excels at that.

Slivka – As I said earlier, he played on the right side of the diamond and was excellent throughout. He is very confident in possession, can pick a pass and looked every bit the player we all want him to be.

Mark – What a player this guy is. Glides around midfield, breaking up play from the opposition and importantly in my view, talks all the time and I’m sure the likes of Porteous, Hyndman and Mallan all benefit from that.

Emerson – I thought he was superb today. Always looking for the ball, played a few telling passes and today I was delighted to see him up his game physically on a couple of occasions. His goal looked so simple but it was actually very skilfully taken.

Stevie – Has scored nine goals this season already and every one from outside the box. The laddie just oozes class and the good news is that coaching will make him even better. Got the man of the match award today, from the sponsors.

Boyler – Australia’s gain could be Scotland’s loss in my opinion. I’ve heard fans of other clubs expressing astonishment that McLeish hasn’t at least brought him into his squad. Today he took his goal well, might have had another two and had at least one assist.

Flo – You know what, I feel heart sorry for Flo as he is clearly lacking in confidence, bad news for a striker and doesn’t look 100% fit. Today he was caught in possession a few times but to his credit he kept on going and took his goal very well. That goal will boost the confidence and the break will give his body a rest.

Daryl – Buzzed around and worked very hard whilst offering an assist for Mallan’s second goal. I like him best in a central role and he looked at home there today.

Jamie Gullan – Hammer scores goals for fun in the Development team and might have gotten a first team goal today but Flo’s pass was knocked in by a defender as Jamie waited to pounce.

Nelom – Wasn’t really on the pitch for that long but took up the left back berth with Lewis moved into midfield.

Lenny – Rightly happy with his charges and made that very plain in his after match interview.

My man of the match – I had three or four in the frame and really it could have been any of them but once again, Efe rises to the top.

The ref – Pretty anonymous which equates to a decent performance but it was an easy game to ref in truth.

The fans – Two ‘singing sections’ giving it laldy but I was surprised at 4-0 and cruising at just how quiet it was. It was a nice touch clapping Keatings when he came off the bench.

Very good summary, there were a number of candidates for MOTM and for me it was Hyndman and I hadn't been convinced by him prior to today.

Special mention for Gullan, looked composed when he was on the pitch , nothing looked rushed and didn't look to be running about trying to hard, great cameo by the lad.

greenlex
06-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Don’t know who the others were on your shortlist today for man if the match JC but I had Slivka at the top.

Jonnyboy
06-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Don’t know who the others were on your shortlist today for man if the match JC but I had Slivka at the top.

Efe, Hyndman, Slivka and Mallan, A

greenlex
06-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Efe, Hyndman, Slivka and Mallan, A
:aok: You could add the whole side to be honest.:greengrin

Jonnyboy
06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
:aok: You could add the whole side to be honest.:greengrin

True :faf:

Billy Whizz
06-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Great review as always John. Apart from the score and the domination, what I like with this team, is they can change positions and shape in a moment, must be a nightmare to play against

Really enjoyed the quick football we played through the middle

Shame it’s a fortnight before we play, just hope our internationals come back to ER fresh and with no injury’s

BoomtownHibees
06-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Good review. Think Hyndman was subbed due to injury rather than being knackered

marinello59
06-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Another great summary J. Effe was superb but Slivka was man of the match for me, he cruised through the game.
Boyle demonstrated today just how far he has come on in the past couple of seasons. His decision making has improved considerably. No wonder Oz want to include him in their set up.

Not In The Know
06-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Not at the match today but were people giving Flo grief?

Wtf.

Guys a class player, defo think he’s not fully fit and as the Hibs tv commentary said Hamilton doubled up on him which freed up space for all the other goal scorers.

hibee_girl
06-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Wtf.

Guys a class player, defo think he’s not fully fit and as the Hibs tv commentary said Hamilton doubled up on him which freed up space for all the other goal scorers.

:agree:

The guy next to me was going crazy at Flo all game, he’s lazy, not interested, wasteful and takes too long to get back onside (tbf I agreed with that one!)

Crunchie
06-10-2018, 08:13 PM

By far and away his best performance for us, I thought he was immense. The whole team played their part today, including Bogdan, but the midfield trio of Hyndman, Slivka and Mallan were superb for me.

Crunchie
06-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Wtf.

I sit in the East and didn't hear a dissenting voice towards anyone today, the usual mouthpiece near us must be on holiday :greengrin

Smartie
06-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Wtf.

I don't know about giving him grief, but it's fair to point out that relative to ability he was probably our weakest performer today.

But let's face it - if our main striker is a wee bit below par (probably carrying a knock and still far from honking) but still managing to get a goal, directly assist an og and play a part in a 6-0 win then we're clearly on the right track.

Onceinawhile
06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Only thing I would add is that the build up to the second goal was phenomenal, people will focus on the passing at their end, but we passed the ball from defence, through midfield right to up top.

I was in the middle of pointing it out to my son, just how good it was when Mallan had a dig.

alihibs1
06-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't say Flo is lacking in confidence. He has 3 in 4 in the league. Did lose the ball a couple of times but also did alot of good. When he touched it round the defender and had a shot. Unreal. He seemed frustrated but his persistence payed off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
06-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Nothing came off for Flo until the 90th minute. He never stopped trying and it wasn't looking like his day. Fortunately we had scored four by the time he scored and a minute later created a sixth.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

gramskiwood
06-10-2018, 10:40 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game today and thought it was a great performance by the whole team. I t was good to see Slivka shine and Efe was immense. It helped that the Ref had a quiet game.

Radium
07-10-2018, 05:28 AM
Nothing came off for Flo until the 90th minute. He never stopped trying and it wasn't looking like his day. Fortunately we had scored four by the time he scored and a minute later created a sixth.

Doesn’t hide and keeps going. Thought his touch to spin the ball past his defender whilst he ran around the other side was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libby Hibby
07-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Firstly, I like Flo, he will be a top player for us.

But his body language has been suspect the last 2 games. He doesn’t look happy. Whether he is not 100% fit yet and he is frustrated as he knows he can do better but he just seems moody for some reason.

His Berkamp-esqe turn and shot deserved a goal but after the keeper saved it, he just put his hand on his hips and sulked an age to get back on side.

He needs a big Lennon cuddle.

As always JB, a very fair, honest and accurate report.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2018, 06:40 AM

This

southsider
07-10-2018, 07:06 AM
This

Nice touch by the fans to give Keets a big cheer. Said in the paper his young daughter is a big Hibs fan and she would be cheering us on today. If he does nothing else in his career he played in a Scottish Cup winning Hibs team.

Brooster
07-10-2018, 07:38 AM
Excellent summary as always John. Slivka mom for me but lots of contenders. I wish Flo would get back on with things when it doesn't come off rather than feel sorry for himself.

Fuzzywuzzy
07-10-2018, 07:46 AM
You could see the frustration growing in Flo. When he missed an opportunity and just stopped while the ball was still in play. So happy for him when he scored, he needed it

AJHibby
07-10-2018, 07:46 AM
I think yesterday’s performance from Flo very much highlighted how much he needs MacLaren up there with him. Both strikers are twice as good when playing with each other

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Nice touch by the fans to give Keets a big cheer. Said in the paper his young daughter is a big Hibs fan and she would be cheering us on today. If he does nothing else in his career he played in a Scottish Cup winning Hibs team.

When was the last time we cheered an ex Jambo coming onto the pitch
;)

Keyser Sauzee
07-10-2018, 07:54 AM
What was yesterday’s attendance?

Sammy7nil
07-10-2018, 08:03 AM

I thought I heard 16,800 with one hundred and odd away fans

Keith_M
07-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Yep, announced as 16.8k but there was a few thousand empty seats in the 3 home stands.

Maybe a lot of people were put off by the warnings about traveling and also because it was 'just'(sorry, dunno how else to put that) Hamilton

Note: This is not a criticism, just an observation :-)

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2018, 08:54 AM

No more than 150 Hamilton fans

Shocking really!

BishopstonHibby
07-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Agree that he was excellent. Sunday Times, though, bizarrely gave him 5/10!

SouthMoroccoStu
07-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Cricket and egg chasers paper

Diclonius
07-10-2018, 09:06 AM

But his body language has been suspect the last 2 games. He doesn’t look happy. Whether he is not 100% fit yet and he is frustrated as he knows he can do better but he just seems moody for some reason.

His Berkamp-esqe turn and shot deserved a goal but after the keeper saved it, he just put his hand on his hips and sulked an age to get back on side.

I noticed that too.

I doubt he's unhappy with being at the club, think it's just frustration at not reaching the level he was at last season. I'm sure Lennon will have noticed too and address the issue if it's there.

Bostonhibby
07-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAye but he didn't scrum that well and his wicket keeping has always been suspect. The reporter was nowhere near a football match.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

G B Young
07-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't say Flo is lacking in confidence. He has 3 in 4 in the league. Did lose the ball a couple of times but also did alot of good. When he touched it round the defender and had a shot. Unreal. He seemed frustrated but his persistence payed off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree. He's scored seven goals in total this season, having played relatively few games due to injury. If he's still not fully fit that's good going. He's also shared barely time on the pitch with MacLaren, who paired up so effectively with him last season. Anyone giving him a hard time (and it's news to me that anyone is) is way off the mark.

Ronniekirk
07-10-2018, 10:15 AM
By far and away his best performance for us, I thought he was immense. The whole team played their part today, including Bogdan, but the midfield trio of Hyndman, Slivka and Mallan were superb for me.

Lennon praised a lot of players But he singled out Slivka

MB62
07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
:agree:

The guy next to me was going crazy at Flo all game, he’s lazy, not interested, wasteful and takes too long to get back onside (tbf I agreed with that one!)

I would suggest that this is not laziness but a bit of clever thinking by Flo. If he is slowly getting back onside, it creates a bit of space and time for him from his double makers (they won't mark him if he is offside). Hibs regain possession and move forward and all of a sudden Flo is unmarked and brought back onside by retreating defenders.

Borderhibbie76
07-10-2018, 10:59 AM
I noticed that too.

I doubt he's unhappy with being at the club, think it's just frustration at not reaching the level he was at last season. I'm sure Lennon will have noticed too and address the issue if it's there.Lennon said post match on Hibs TV Flo is his own worst critic...so nothing suspect as u say just frustration but he's clearly not 100% fit...yet still scoring goals for us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seveno
07-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Exactly my thoughts. I am hoping that it is just because he is not fully fit but he still put in a good shift and I was really pleased that he got his goal.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2018, 09:55 PM

:agree: VS had a great game

Ronniekirk
07-10-2018, 09:59 PM
:agree: VS had a great game

Had to leave early to get back to Paisley for a Party Missed the last two Goals But was very pleased with what I saw

jacomo
07-10-2018, 10:11 PM

As a player that must be magic to hear because you know Lenny doesn’t give out praise cheaply!