PDA

View Full Version : Is this team better than last seasons?

SirDavidsNapper
06-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Points would suggest so. We look very good to be honest.

The Spaceman
06-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Goals galore from midfield have given us a new dimension. Very exciting!

Dashing Bob S
06-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Not as skilled but more ruthless. Last years side played great football but never punished sides like we did Hamilton today.

SRHibs
06-10-2018, 03:53 PM
The squad is quality all over.

SeanWilson
06-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Consistency will be key. Only a few weeks ago I sat and watched that livi game ... 🙄

AgentDaleCooper
06-10-2018, 03:57 PM
If we managed to get allan back in january and got maclaren fit we'd be absolutely devastating

Diclonius
06-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Our performances against the OF and Hearts will answer that.

Pretty Boy
06-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Celtic and Hearts in the coming weeks will give us a better indication but we are starting to look very, very good.

hfc rd
06-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Celtic and Hearts in the coming weeks will give us a better indication but we are starting to look very, very good.

This

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Naw, we are gash.

Stevie Reid
06-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously exciting that we're discussing the possibility so seriously. Was always going to take a while for us to settle down after Europe, Milligan signing late and a few injuries, but we really are flying now.

Frightening to think what a settled team and last year's front pairing could do. So much quality throughout the squad though.

Ozyhibby
06-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Yes. Goals from midfield make the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedway
06-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Naw, we are gash.

Exactly. We can find a performance against a Tin pot club that shouldn’t even be in the division, but how many semi final paychecks do we get for that? None!

Imposters!

SirDavidsNapper
06-10-2018, 04:16 PM
We're doing not bad for a team in transition. Wait till we click into gear

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Exactly. We can find a performance against a Tin pot club that shouldn’t even be in the division, but how many semi final paychecks do we get for that? None!

Imposters!

:greengrin aye but we need to be qualifying for europe regularly, like the dons have to strengthen year on year, then those semi's you crave might happen more often. :wink:

Speedway
06-10-2018, 04:21 PM
:greengrin aye but we need to be qualifying for europe regularly, like the dons have to strengthen year on year, then those semi's you crave might happen more often. :wink:

A semi would be a thing to behold at this stage 🙂

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Let’s see how they perform at parkhead and Ibrox

A Hi-Bee
06-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Time will tell eh! lets no get carried away with a long way to go this season but looking very promising.

:flag::flag::flag:

Pete
06-10-2018, 04:48 PM
I’d say yes.

bigwheel
06-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Too early to say. Need to Play everyone and see where we are...our consistency during second half of last season was as good as I can recall ...

Credit for our recruitment though. Some good replacements have come in

Not even played our best 11 yet

cleanyman
06-10-2018, 04:56 PM
The only team we have played of note is Aberdeen and we drew with them

I'll reserve judgement come November

Onion
06-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Too early to tell. We've definitely added goals from midfield but don't have as much drive from the current mid trio. Matches against Sevco, Sevco East and the team that blew the SJM transfer will go a long way to telling us how good this team is. Last season's class were excellent against the bigger teams, so a lot to live up to.

lucky
06-10-2018, 05:02 PM
We’ve a better squad but so do Rangers and Hearts. I still think Celtic will win the league by 10 points we are in the mix for the European places.

wookie70
06-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Hard to tell but it is looking good. We played Aberdeen when they were struggling and drew, Killie when they had picked up some form and got a good win but nothing in the game and Livy when they were playing well and got beat. The other 5 games were against the bottom 5 teams and they all look a wee bit away from the rest of the league. Hopefully we have been lucky and the International break will see us come back to a fully fit squad and a couple more great results against Celt and our neighbours. Mallan's goals have made a huge difference and although I really rated Dylan the lack of goals from last season's midfield really put the pressure on our strikers.

FRes Hibbie
06-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Our midfield was definitely better at running games last season - particularly the second half when we had Allan. None of them could get near Mallan for goals though.

We'll lose some control when we play the better teams but having a midfield that can score might make up for it.

Still too early to say.

1van Sprou7e
06-10-2018, 06:00 PM

People need to stop discrediting Kilmarnock, although we were lucky to come away with 3 points against them

tamig
06-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Too early to say. Need to Play everyone and see where we are...our consistency during second half of last season was as good as I can recall ...

Tbh, I don’t have a clue what our best 11 is. I’m sure many others are the same. A good problem for NL to have though once everybody is fit again.

bigwheel
06-10-2018, 06:09 PM
People need to stop discrediting Kilmarnock, although we were lucky to come away with 3 points against them

[emoji106] Killie are a good side..will be challenging for a top 4 slot

Bishop Hibee
06-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Mallan’s goals from midfield give us something McGeoch or McGinn couldn’t. We’ve not even played our best eleven yet.

wookie70
06-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Tbh, I don’t have a clue what our best 11 is. I’m sure many others are the same. A good problem for NL to have though once everybody is fit again.
I'm not sure Lennon knows his best team or formation but what he does have is a group of players who are all doing well and they all know there is someone to come on if they start playing badly. Kamberi is probably the exception to this but even our keeper knows he is a bad game away from potentially being dropped. We lack some depth to the squad but every first team player looks comfortable starting and we have quite a good clutch of players scoring regularly.

hibs4life
06-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Our midfield was definitely better at running games last season - particularly the second half when we had Allan. None of them could get near Mallan for goals though.

We'll lose some control when we play the better teams but having a midfield that can score might make up for it.

Still too early to say.

My thinking too. Last season we had some games where our midfield were excellent but the result didn't reflect our dominance. This season we look like we might be able to get goals without the same dominance. And, I think we are going to improve, especially when Jamie McLaren and Flo Kamberi pair up again.

Seveno
06-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Full marks to Lenny. Losing such a good midfield and rebuilding so quickly shows what a quality manager we have.

LustForLeith
06-10-2018, 06:14 PM

What exactly is our best 11?

bigwheel
06-10-2018, 06:23 PM

Fair question. ..I’d say one with a fit McLaren, Kamberi, Hanlon and Gray playing ...and we’ve never had that so far this season ... will be interesting to see when we get everyone fit

Onceinawhile
06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Not yet, but if we get everyone fit, maybe.

The exciting thing or me, is that the last two transfer windows have seen some very good players join. If we can add one or two more to the squad we already have...

GreenPJ
06-10-2018, 06:27 PM
If we are still up around the top at end of December the board need to go out and get Allan and a striker. That would help cement a position and certainly push for Europe but who knows what else.

It would be a shame to not try and extend Hyndman's loan after that performance as well.

EH54
06-10-2018, 06:54 PM
It's coming together nicely. Hyndman coming into a game, Bogdan looking a lot more comfortable, defence looking solid, I thought gray was finished he's like a new signing again this year. I've criticised Porteous a lot for diving in etc but today was a lot more mature performance from him. Kamberi was looking frustrated but having got his goals he will be a happy man. All round great performance, interesting couple of months ahead!

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Don’t believe there’s such a thing. Lenny picks the team he believes will win game. Probably never have everyone one fit at same time. If that does happen. Then a few good players won’t get stripped.

BT58
06-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Milligan is the key. What a player. Brilliant business by the club bringing him in. Whoever identified him. Thank you

LustForLeith
06-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Don’t believe there’s such a thing. Lenny picks the team he believes will win game. Probably never have everyone one fit at same time. If that does happen. Then a few good players won’t get stripped.

I’m struggling to pick a team or formation if all our players s are fit. It’s a happy dilemma to have but I’m glad I’m not Lenny

Sir David Gray
06-10-2018, 07:04 PM
I'm not getting carried away as Hamilton were one of the worst teams I've seen at Easter Road for a while.

If we can get at least 4 points from our next 2 games then I'll start to really get excited.

The potential is undoubtedly there though. We have a very good side.

WhileTheChief..
06-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Agreed.

Thats a sign of a quality manager, picking his best 11 for any given game.

Our best 11 for a game against Celtic will be different to that against Dundee for example.

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Agreed.

Thats a sign of a quality manager, picking his best 11 for any given game.

Our best 11 for a game against Celtic will be different to that against Dundee for example.
Agree. He picked the right team and formation to pump Hamilton

Eyrie
06-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Right now we probably have half a dozen variations on our best eleven, which is a nice problem for Lennon.

Hibeesforever
06-10-2018, 07:50 PM

Kilmarnock aren't a bad outfit....

SideBurns
06-10-2018, 08:09 PM
It may sound like sacrilege, but I think the midfield might turn out to be an improvement on the wonderful 3 of last season. However, Milligan is the key - he anchors the centre of the park, dictates, and allows Mallan, Hyndman, Horgan & Slivka (any combination of) the freedom to play.

Hibs4185
06-10-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm not getting carried away as Hamilton were one of the worst teams I've seen at Easter Road for a while.

If we can get at least 4 points from our next 2 games then I'll start to really get excited.

The potential is undoubtedly there though. We have a very good side.

What if we get 6 points??

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
We are a good side, but its way too early to say just how good. We have hope, we have people in charge who are giving us hope, this is a good time to be a Hibs fan, enjoy it.:top marks

linlithgowhibbie
06-10-2018, 09:50 PM
As I am an oldie I can remember Turnbulls Tornados and when I came out the ground today I was thinking are these guys as good as the Tornados?

Sir David Gray
06-10-2018, 10:00 PM
What if we get 6 points??

That outcome is covered in the sentence that starts "If we can get at least 4 points...".

Ozyhibby
06-10-2018, 11:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181006/7f2af41ef792399792888e8136437a6e.png

We’ve got 4 more points, scored 5 more goals and conceded 6 less then this point last season. We are also 4 places higher in the league.

gramskiwood
06-10-2018, 11:14 PM
As I am an oldie I can remember Turnbulls Tornados and when I came out the ground today I was thinking are these guys as good as the Tornados?

I was thinking that too.

Baader
06-10-2018, 11:20 PM
The lack of goals from midfield has been addressed. Excited about the season ahead.

Tornadoes70
06-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Neil Lennon is a football manager genius who replaces quality with quality. Unlike the book of leveinicus who signs as many as he can and hopes he get lucky with wholesale signings and who relies upon the aid of refs and footballing authorities who send off opposition players for ordinary tackles and whom literally move stadiums for him and his yams.

:nlgwa

God bless you Neil.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

neil7908
07-10-2018, 12:16 AM
We're definitely better than the team that started last season.

Whether we're better than the one that ended it will be revealed come May.

IMO the individual players may not be quite as good but the team has more depth, experience and balance.

SRHibs
07-10-2018, 12:32 AM
We're definitely better than the team that started last season.

Whether we're better than the one that ended it will be revealed come May.

IMO the individual players may not be quite as good but the team has more depth, experience and balance.

I think Hyndman will prove himself to be on Allan’s level, and we aren’t missing McGeouch as much as I thought we would. Considering our added strength on the wings, in goals, and defensively, I think we are better, with the loss of McGinn the only real downgrade. We are absolutely pummelling teams at the moment. Definitely fancy our chances vs Celtic.

CMurdoch
07-10-2018, 12:57 AM
Better than last seasons team up until New Year but not as good as our team from the 2nd half of the season.
If we can get McLaren fit and firing soon we could be top notch again.
The points lost to St Johnstone and Livingston this season are annoying and i suspect these results may not have happened if we could have landed Milligan earlier.
FWIW I think we will peak next season, presuming we manage to keep Efe and bring more quality in. It is an exciting time to b a Hibee and i don't see an end to it.

Scottish Football is the healthiest it has been in years with 6 good teams. I am loving it.

The_Horde
07-10-2018, 12:58 AM
We're definitely a more dangerous side to the one last season. Well the end of the season anyway, we"re definitely better than the team that started last season.

We have goals from everywhere and can score from all kinds of scenarios.

Fascinating to watch.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2018, 06:31 AM

NO!

LustForLeith
07-10-2018, 09:03 AM
So what’s our best team (fully fit, no suspensions etc) v the like of Celtic/Hearts/Rangers and the best v everyone else?

I supposed the so called smaller teams in the league will put everyone behind the ball and we’ll need to take that into account

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2018, 09:22 AM

We’ve got 4 more points, scored 5 more goals and conceded 6 less then this point last season. We are also 4 places higher in the league.

Team for team we are 5-8 points better off too depending of how you want to interpret it

BoomtownHibees
07-10-2018, 09:39 AM

And at this stage last season we had 4 points from Celtc and The Rangers away from home

IGRIGI
07-10-2018, 09:40 AM
I think we need to see how we are after facing Rangers/Celtic/Hearts.

Ronniekirk
07-10-2018, 10:10 AM
I think we need to see how we are after facing Rangers/Celtic/Hearts.

As good as we are at the moment I tend to agree The Acid Test will be can we keep up this consistency and still be second in the league after playing those three
But make no mistake For a Work In Progress we are above where I thought we would be Add to that the Injuries we have had to key players and it makes it all the more remarkable