PDA

View Full Version : Getting to today’s game

macca70
06-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Seen as the last thread got hijacked by some trying to force there Independance views upon everyone, it probably makes sense to highlight the roads that are closed today and the nightmare some will have getting to & from the game today.

Looks like Abbeyhill is closed all afternoon, combined with the road closures at Smokey Brae, Willowbrae, Portobello, the East side of Edinburgh is going to be absolute chaos this afternoon.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/in-full-the-road-closures-in-place-ahead-of-scottish-independence-rally-in-edinburgh-1-4810449

green day
06-10-2018, 08:34 AM
No doubt lots of people will ignore the advice and try and drive anyway, despite Edinburgh having excellent public transport.

I usually drive, but bus and walk today makes more sense.

If you cant take the bus all the way, park somewhere outside city centre and take the bus.

I suppose the alternative is to leave it really late, sit in a traffic jam and then blame everyone else? :greengrin:greengrin

macca70
06-10-2018, 08:40 AM
No doubt lots of people will ignore the advice and try and drive anyway, despite Edinburgh having excellent public transport.

I usually drive, but bus and walk today makes more sense.

If you cant take the bus all the way, park somewhere outside city centre and take the bus.

I suppose the alternative is to leave it really late, sit in a traffic jam and then blame everyone else? :greengrin:greengrin

I’ll jump on the train at Newcraighall or Brunstane, takes 10 mins, straight into Waverley then walk down.

If anyone comes from East Lothian, Park up at Newcraighall Park & Ride and train in. It’s a great service and hassle free.

Eyrie
06-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Thank you. This is what the original thread should have been about - practical information with the politics kept on the Holy Ground.

Looks like I'm going to have to change my plans for getting to the match as I need the car for afterwards.

oneone73
06-10-2018, 08:46 AM
I’ll jump on the train at Newcraighall or Brunstane, takes 10 mins, straight into Waverley then walk down.

If anyone comes from East Lothian, Park up at Newcraighall Park & Ride and train in. It’s a great service and hassle free.
Wallyford's another option. Train takes 11 mins

leith lynx
06-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Wallyford's another option. Train takes 11 mins

No North Berwick trains to Edinburgh this Saturday, further problems!

Onceinawhile
06-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Presumably should be OK getting to the ground from the west though?

linlithgowhibbie
06-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Presumably should be OK getting to the ground from the west though?

Will be ok with me driving!:nlgwa

macca70
06-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Newcraighall and Brunstane in the Borders line so hopefully that’ll be running fine.

GlesgaeHibby
06-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Newcraighall and Brunstane in the Borders line so hopefully that’ll be running fine.

Hope so, usually drive but sounds like it will be hellish so gonna jump on at Eskbank.

J-C
06-10-2018, 09:38 AM
The only real problems will be city centre surrounding the High st and Canongate area they are the only ones closed till 4.30-5 ish

J-C
06-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Replacement buses on, using Market St for parking

Pretty Boy
06-10-2018, 09:49 AM
I'm dropping the bairn at Mayfield Road so going to park around Newington/Marchmont way and walk down via a (drink free) pub stop. I followed the same plan the other week and even walking from ER to get the car I was still home slightly quicker than sitting in all the traffic at the usual routes out my way.

It's bad enough getting anywhere from the east of the city at the moment without throwing another big event into the mix.

green day
06-10-2018, 09:52 AM
I'm dropping the bairn at Mayfield Road so going to park around Newington/Marchmont way and walk down via a (drink free) pub stop. I followed the same plan the other week and even walking from ER to get the car I was still home slightly quicker than sitting in all the traffic at the usual routes out my way.

It's bad enough getting anywhere from the east of the city at the moment without throwing another big event into the mix.

Also, you could get a number 5 to meadowbank retail park and walk thru from that area.

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Seen as the last thread got hijacked by some trying to force there Independance views upon everyone, it probably makes sense to highlight the roads that are closed today and the nightmare some will have getting to & from the game today.

Looks like Abbeyhill is closed all afternoon, combined with the road closures at Smokey Brae, Willowbrae, Portobello, the East side of Edinburgh is going to be absolute chaos this afternoon.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/in-full-the-road-closures-in-place-ahead-of-scottish-independence-rally-in-edinburgh-1-4810449

Yeah east side of town is brutal just now. Be worse on match day. Hibs should be encouraging fans If possible public transport, walk etc

Glory Lurker
06-10-2018, 09:59 AM
If today’s travel problems don’t convince Petrie of the need for a helipad then we’ll never get one.:boo hoo:

tamig
06-10-2018, 10:06 AM
If today’s travel problems don’t convince Petrie of the need for a helipad then we’ll never get one.:boo hoo:

Manned drone flights. Coming your way soon 👍

Springbank
06-10-2018, 10:09 AM

i saw the original thread as being hijacked by the red White & blue brigade myself.

heres to a Hibs win in the short run and a confident outward looking society in the long run under Boris Johnston (if thats your fetish) or as a normal place

Golden Bear
06-10-2018, 10:11 AM
There's no easy options if you live outside the city. Bus routes could be disrupted as much as car travel and if you live an area which isn't served by trains then you are chapping.

I'm not looking forward to today's drive at all.

:grr:

we are hibs
06-10-2018, 10:23 AM

You can also get a 49 from the fort which takes you through lochend and a 2 minute walk from the ground.

hibee
06-10-2018, 10:41 AM

I’m near there but have never thought of using it for the games, bit of a walk both ways, it’s normally 15 minutes drive to Lochend area to park so even with a bit of queuing surely driving is still quicker and easier.

macca70
06-10-2018, 10:46 AM
You can also get a 49 from the fort which takes you through lochend and a 2 minute walk from the ground.

Yeah, it’s currently being diverted through Mountcastle due to Brighton Place. With no one able to get down Brighton Place or along Willowbrae road, Mountcastle and Northfield Broadway are going to be gridlock.

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 10:58 AM
I’m near there but have never thought of using it for the games, bit of a walk both ways, it’s normally 15 minutes drive to Lochend area to park so even with a bit of queuing surely driving is still quicker and easier.

Won’t be today with all the roads closed that the OP listed

Keith_M
06-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Seen as the last thread got hijacked by some trying to force there Independance views upon everyone.....

Mr Pot Kettle, please keep your political views off the Main Board,

Thanks 😀

hibee
06-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Won’t be today with all the roads closed that the OP listed

Realise that but I reckon it would need to take me an hour each way in the car before I’d consider making the jump to the train, will soon find out.

On another note, will be looking out for the “leaving early” thread tonight when I finally make it home!

Eyrie
06-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Realise that but I reckon it would need to take me an hour each way in the car before I’d consider making the jump to the train, will soon find out.

On another note, will be looking out for the “leaving early” thread tonight when I finally make it home!

Given all the road closures, anyone able to post before 7pm will either have left early or be posting from a traffic jam.

renato
06-10-2018, 11:59 AM
There's no easy options if you live outside the city. Bus routes could be disrupted as much as car travel and if you live an area which isn't served by trains then you are chapping.

I'm not looking forward to today's drive at all.

:grr:

X62 to as close to town as possible, followed by a stroll down Leith Walk.

Bloody marches

Radium
06-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Spaces at Ingliston P&R now that the bikers have moved off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
06-10-2018, 12:08 PM

That goes the long way round though doesn’t it? Be as well sitting in the traffic jams!

hibee62
06-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Lothian buses Twitter is reporting delays on north bridge and George IV bridge.

J-C
06-10-2018, 12:30 PM
That goes the long way round though doesn’t it? Be as well sitting in the traffic jams!

Not really, the only problem is at the bottom of Northfield Broadway as cars avoid Willowbrae Rd, it'll add 10-15 min to the journey.

oconnors_strip
06-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Avoid coming from Corstorphine direction as the bikers protest have brought the street to a standstill!

hibee62
06-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Lothian buses Twitter is reporting delays on north bridge and George IV bridge.

The march is being stopped intermittently to let traffic through but slow traffic back to surgeon’s hall.

steelendhibs
06-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Absolute breeze coming in from fife via ferry road and piltug street. Sitting in Robbie 's with a pint. Maybe traffic staying away from Edinburgh with the march going on but seemed awfy quiet on the roads

thegaffer12
06-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Managed to get in from the west no bother in the car

SteveHFC
06-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Wonder if they could delay kick off.

BoomtownHibees
06-10-2018, 01:13 PM

No chance

hfc rd
06-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Unless the team bus gets held up, no chance at all they will delay kick off

Up The Bracket
06-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Did anyone find out if they sold Greggs at the march

hibee
06-10-2018, 01:27 PM
20 minutes from Musselburgh, might go that way more often!

hibbysam
06-10-2018, 01:47 PM
A1 and Harry Lauder road was horrendous. Portobello road at a standstill.

Moulin Yarns
06-10-2018, 04:45 PM
The march is being stopped intermittently to let traffic through but slow traffic back to surgeon’s hall.

It was annoying being stopped walking down the royal mile to allow traffic to pass. 😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Golden Bear
06-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Traffic was not nearly as bad as anticipated.We came the city bypass to Portobello and worked our way round to Lochend, eventually parking near Meadowbank. A wee stroll to the Hoppy bar for a quick pre match pint and all was well. 😁

greenpaper55
06-10-2018, 06:22 PM
20 thousand at the march !

green day
06-10-2018, 06:46 PM
20 thousand at the march !

Not in a month of sundays.

AUOB have estimated at 100k - and I dont think it was far off, frankly.

The march was the width of the High Street, and by the time the first people reached the parliament 45 minutes later there were still people at Johnston Gardens who hadnt moved at all.

I have been in large crowds (as a football fan) and as part of marches / big gigs, and the council estimate was - frankly - miles away.

Golden Bear
06-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Plenty estimates of 10000. Believe what you want to believe it seems.

franks
06-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Got to the game no problem 26 from Eastfield. Got a lift back and absolute nightmare an hour to get home when I'm normally home by 17.40. Well worth it though.