PDA

View Full Version : Is Oli Shaw ready yet?

ThomasAgyepong
05-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Look I’m not attacking Oli here as I genuinely think he has a good potential to be a top player at the club. But at the moment is he really good enough for the Premiership? For me he doesn’t get stuck in enough and tends to sort of shy away from getting involved and stuck into tackles. He also takes a wee bit too long to make decisions for me, a good example of that was shown on Saturday against St. Mirren when wee Daryl Horgan slipped him through and he took to long as he tried to take it on with his right I believe instead of just smacking it with his left. One thing I do like about Oli is that 99.9% of the time when presented with the opportunity to score he takes it, he just struggles to get himself into those positions which frustrates me at times. What’d you guys think about him?

Smartie
05-10-2018, 10:56 PM
I like him.

Better all round play than I was expecting, he's decent enough with his back to goal as long as you get support up to him and not leave him too isolated.

He's a bit more wasteful in front of goal than I'd expected and seems to do better when finishing instinctively rather than when he has time to think (like Martin Boyle and Simon Murray he has a tendency to fluff these ones).

Good player, glad we have him and I suspect he'll score tomorrow.

monktonharp
06-10-2018, 12:01 AM
like him too. did have a real chance at St Mirren but under pressure he missed it. he will improve, this season. needs a goal or 2 to really get going. give him a fair chance. don't want to see him left out until the last few minutes. he needs a fair crack at it.

matty_f
06-10-2018, 12:53 AM
He's a good player, I think he has a real chance of making it at Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
06-10-2018, 04:11 AM
I like him but have my doubts about whether he will make it at the top level in Scotland.

blaikie
06-10-2018, 05:02 AM
He’s only just turned 20, he’s got the potential and seems to have the right attitude.

Personally on what I seen from Cummings at the Huns last year, I’d rather have Oli in my team. I think he’s a better player with a lot more potential.

Phil MaGlass
06-10-2018, 05:21 AM
He is now surrounded by a team full of internationalists, he will learn and grow into it, he seems to be a good striker in the making, its been a bit of a whirlwind start to the season for him with alot of expectation on him, hes a young lad that scores for fun, a couple of goals at this level in succession will see him get going, hes young he needs time and I am sure the goals will come.

BILLYHIBS
06-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Everyone on here wants Olly to succeed.

He has bags of potential.

If you are good enough you are old enough.

He needs to step up to the plate.

I get the impression that if he can keep his composure and score one goal his confidence will grow and he can feed off that.

Cmon Ollie!

Time for heroes!

Jones28
06-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Lennon trusts him. That's all I need.

Just Jimmy
06-10-2018, 07:09 AM
let him play at times. starts and sub appearances. he's already got a decent amount of games at this level, of importance too, under this belt.

he's shown he can score goals but let's not expect too much from him yet. he'll make it if he's supported to do so.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
06-10-2018, 07:13 AM
It’s a difficult one as it’s very much a balance. He’s Young and needs the experience and the playform and environment to develop and grow and to be allowed to make his mistakes. Last week I felt an example of when he was through on goal rather than hit it with his left which most experienced striker likely would have he delayed and tried to get it onto he’s better foot and got snuffed out. If we had another striker with proven quality and experience for our level probably puts that away.

There is the balance, long game we need to develop him for benefits in years to come and he’s a player I’m not sure would fit now going on loan to a Falkirk or the likes. Lads defo got something and as has been said above the experience around him will help him.

Speedy
06-10-2018, 07:14 AM
For me he's ready to be part of the squad and adds something but isn't ready to be a regular starter in place of Kamberi/Maclaren.

Good backup.

bingo70
06-10-2018, 07:21 AM
I’m not convinced to be honest.

Nobody would be happier than me to be proven wrong however I’m not sure he has the spark required to make it at the level we want to be at. Against Aberdeen he reminded me a little of Danny Handling in that he seemed almost apologetic for being on the park, started dropping deeper and ended up just playing the safe pass back the way rather than looking to be a threat.

There was one moment his pace really caught me by surprise, I’d always thought he would be too slow to make it however there was one moment in the first half he left the right back for dead, couldn’t believe it when I saw it was Shaw. Now I know it’s not his pace that’s the problem I think it’s maybe that he comes across as a bit lethargic.

Reminds me a bit of Colin Nish as well and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way, Nish had a decent career and Imo Shaw could have a comparable one, I’m not sure it will be at Hibs though.

judas
06-10-2018, 07:26 AM
He’s technically very good i feel but he needs to strengthen.

In fact I would say that Olly IS good enough for our league.

I know the OP isn’t suggesting it, but it would be folly to let Olly go and it would haunt us.

B.H.F.C
06-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Against Aberdeen he reminded me a little of Danny Handling in that he seemed almost apologetic for being on the park, started dropping deeper and ended up just playing the safe pass back the way rather than looking to be a threat.

Whilst Shaw has already shown a lot more than Handling ever did, I get what you mean here.

I think he lacks that bit of belief, or arrogance, that a lot of good strikers have.

I think he’ll score the odd goal here and there this season but he really needs to kick on and I’m not sure he’ll get the minutes on the park he needs, especially when MacLaren is back.

Brightside
06-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Yes

ronaldo7
06-10-2018, 07:45 AM
He needs to bulk up in the gym and improve on his sharpness around the box. I have high hopes for him.

SirDavidsNapper
06-10-2018, 07:53 AM
No i don't think he is. If we had a bigger squad a loan move would be ideal for him. As we dont then hopefully we can use him as much as we can as a sub and in the reserves. He definitely has ability. I want him to succeed.

bigwheel
06-10-2018, 08:14 AM
I’m quite surprised at Some of the views in shaw on here..I think he looks absolutely ready to be part of the first team squad. Perhaps not an every game starter but more than worthy of a strip...His goals to Minutes ratio is good ..and the more he plays the more comfortable he looks to me ...

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2018, 08:16 AM
He could do with getting a few important goals to his name. I don't see him starting before McLaren once he is fit again.

calumhibee1
06-10-2018, 08:28 AM
I’d say he’d probably ready for the bottom half SPL teams. Not quite ready for us yet but hopefully that’ll come over the next couple of years. I’m not sure he’ll ever be good enough for us to sell on though. I can see him having a career a bit like Wotherspoon.

macca70
06-10-2018, 08:31 AM
I don’t think so, he needs to be stronger and not so easily pushed off the ball.

Once we have more strikers, maybe a loan spell to a championship club would be the best solution.

Ollie’s 20 and Kamberi 23, Kamberi seems to offer so much more up front and has a presence, I don’t see that with Shaw.

B.H.F.C
06-10-2018, 08:39 AM
I don’t think so, he needs to be stronger and not so easily pushed off the ball.

Once we have more strikers, maybe a loan spell to a championship club would be the best solution.

Ollie’s 20 and Kamberi 23, Kamberi seems to offer so much more up front and has a presence, I don’t see that with Shaw.

Whilst I’m not totally convinced by him, a loan move to the championship would serve no purpose IMO. Dropping down to that level wouldn’t help him get to the level he needs to be at if he wants to play for us. He’s already shown he can score goals against a better level of opposition than that.

Smartie
06-10-2018, 08:42 AM

It's a slightly harsh comparison, as I don't think we've had many as good as Kamberi (who really is excellent).

Shaw is quite clever in that he can use his body and speed to move away from defenders so he doesn't get outmuscled, but it's not fair to expect him to be exactly the same type of player as Kamberi, as he is not.

macca70
06-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Whilst I’m not totally convinced by him, a loan move to the championship would serve no purpose IMO. Dropping down to that level wouldn’t help him get to the level he needs to be at if he wants to play for us. He’s already shown he can score goals against a better level of opposition than that.

It would get him regular 1st team football, get confidence up with a few goals, toughen him up and give him time to get stronger/ bulk up a bit.

Onceinawhile
06-10-2018, 08:50 AM
2 goals in 6 games this season.

Not bad for a 20 year old.

allezsauzee
06-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Good enough to play in Premiership? Absolutely! Good enough to be a starter for title challengers? Not yet.

macca70
06-10-2018, 08:51 AM
It's a slightly harsh comparison, as I don't think we've had many as good as Kamberi (who really is excellent).

Shaw is quite clever in that he can use his body and speed to move away from defenders so he doesn't get outmuscled, but it's not fair to expect him to be exactly the same type of player as Kamberi, as he is not.

We need him to be the same type of player as Kamberi, we need a goalscorer that can hold a ball up and link up play from back to front.

If he can’t get up to the level Kamberi is at then there’s no place for him i our 1st team unless we want to be going back to the Championship.

J-C
06-10-2018, 09:00 AM

You've answered it yourself there, Olly 20 Kamberi 23, where was Kamberi at 20? was he the striker he is now? Another 2-3 years and Olly will be a better not complete player

blackpoolhibs
He's 3rd choice, we'd not be having this question if McLaren and Kamberi had not been injured so much this season.

Folk are going on about how we needed another forward, yet any 4th forward we've had in the last 15 years has had virtually no game time at all, in fact they have been a complete waste of time and the guy who's came up from the development teams have played more games.

Most times we are fortunate and we dont have both main pick centre forwards out at the same time, but other times we will have one or the other out injured, this is when we need our club to be bringing through players like Shaw.

He's not the finished article, but so far he's scored goals against some very decent defences, folk are wanting him to be as good as Kamberi or McLaren, FFS he's 3rd choice, as would any other player we brought in, and they would be 3rd choice for a reason.

Billy Whizz
We need him to be the same type of player as Kamberi, we need a goalscorer that can hold a ball up and link up play from back to front.

If he can’t get up to the level Kamberi is at then there’s no place for him i our 1st team unless we want to be going back to the Championship.

He’s not at all anything like the same player as Kamberi. Let Oli be what he is good at, Kamberi is good at different things

Eyrie
06-10-2018, 09:01 AM

We don't need Shaw to be the same type of player as Kamberi any more than we need Maclaren to be that type of player.

There is a case to be made for having a second striker of that type in the squad but, since they'd only be playing when Kamberi isn't, we'd likely end up with a Brian Graham or Deivydas Matulevičius who would then be criticised for not being as good as Kamberi. We're as well using Allan for that role as expectations will be more realistic.

Shaw is good at what he does with potential to get better, which is fine for the third striker role.

Edit - looks like quite few making the same points whilst I was typing the above.

BoomtownHibees
06-10-2018, 09:07 AM

3 years is a big difference when it comes to players at that age

500miles
06-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Oh god, it's like Steven Fletcher all over again.

BILLYHIBS
06-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Oh god, it's like Steven Fletcher all over again.

Yip! and look at him now!

500miles
06-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Yip! and look at him now!

I prefer to look at him before the injuries!

Dancehibs
06-10-2018, 09:26 AM
He’s not at all anything like the same player as Kamberi. Let Oli be what he is good at, Kamberi is good at different things

Spot on. You need different styles of forwards. We don’t have a forward in the squad that does what Flo does. Nobody to challenge him for a starting position. That for me is disappointing.

southern hibby
06-10-2018, 09:27 AM
For me he scored goals for fun in the under 20s and the lads now taking a huge step up in terms of development and standard of football.

Give him some time, let NL and the coaches develope him and iron out the final little mistakes and I believe Hibs could have a major player on our hands.

Already he is looking good with his back to goals, and that’s no easy task in Scotland. Keep developing and let him learn from Kembari and we could have a ready made replacement when Kembari moves on, though as someone else has already stated they are different players though both good with back to goals.

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2018, 09:36 AM
He isn't supposed to be perfect yet. For his age and experience he's very good.

Expectations are way too high for a 20 year old. Let Lennon develop him.

J-C
06-10-2018, 09:42 AM
I think some folk are looking for him to be like Rooney at that age, he's no wonderkid but a very decent one

jacomo
06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Yes give him a chance.

I’m a bit tired of development players being released by Hibs at 22 or 23, having been in and around the first team squad for years without getting much game time.

Oli Shaw seems ready to be tested. Let’s hope he grabs the opportunity.

SirDavidsNapper
06-10-2018, 10:53 AM
I guess we always compare youngsters breaking through to the golden generation. Those circumstances were completely different though. We had no choice but to start them every week. Is Shaw as good as Riordan and O'Connor? For me no.

B.H.F.C
06-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Yes give him a chance.

I’m a bit tired of development players being released by Hibs at 22 or 23, having been in and around the first team squad for years without getting much game time.

Oli Shaw seems ready to be tested. Let’s hope he grabs the opportunity.

How many of those development players have went on to have good careers elsewhere?

They’ll play if they’re better than what is in front of them.

SChibs
06-10-2018, 12:11 PM
When Cummings first came into the first team he never scored for 20 odd games. Shaw has scored goals but has been inconsistent which is expected at his age. The boy just need a time imo

Baader
06-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Yes. He has a touch of class about his play and a good footballing brain I think. Just needs to work on his strength a bit as others have pointed out and continue on the path he's on. Lennon will handle him well. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't make it as think right now he definitely has the potential to.