PDA

View Full Version : Jadon Sancho

theonlywayisup
05-10-2018, 06:39 AM
A new name to me. An 18 year old winger who plays for Borussia Dortmund. Left Man City as a 17 year old for £10m. Only played a few senior games but is now in the English team. Appears to have rapid acceleration but can showboat at times.

I wonder, is he going to be the star that could take England to the next level or another in a list of good players but not superstar level. Maybe playing in Germany will be give the lad a better footballing education.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45752549

Promising times for England, unfortunately.

CB_NO3
05-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Played well for Dortmund in the few games he has had this season. Scored a good goal last week as well.

easty
05-10-2018, 06:53 AM
A new name to me. An 18 year old winger who plays for Borussia Dortmund. Left Man City as a 17 year old for £10m. Only played a few senior games but is now in the English team. Appears to have rapid acceleration but can showboat at times.

I wonder, is he going to be the star that could take England to the next level or another in a list of good players but not superstar level. Maybe playing in Germany will be give the lad a better footballing education.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45752549

Promising times for England, unfortunately.

Yeah he could turn out to be a great player, dunno if I’d say it’s “promising times” though. When I saw the squad announcement I thought it showed how far behind the top nations they are. Especially in midfield.

hibsbollah
05-10-2018, 06:53 AM
He was there last season too. There's a growing list of these English teenagers going to the continent to get first team football, Reece Oxford West Ham was another one. Not any old teenagers either, the very best of their age group. It's good for the English national team, but it's symptomatic of the problems in the wider game down south.

Onceinawhile
05-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Think he has more assists in a top league than anyone else this season, despite only playing about 300 minutes or so.

Looks to be a talent, but it's all potential at the moment.

Allant1981
05-10-2018, 07:56 AM
£10m for a player who had never played a senior game, this is the reason scottish teams will never be able to compete for good up coming players

theonlywayisup
05-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Sorry, should have put NHC on this!

Agree with the comments so far - £10m for someone who never played a senior game is hard to understand, no matter how promising they look.

hibsbollah
05-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Sorry, should have put NHC on this!

Agree with the comments so far - £10m for someone who never played a senior game is hard to understand, no matter how promising they look.

Since he's already the top assist getter in Europe's top five leagues, Dortmund probably think they've got themselves a bargain.

renato
05-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Since he's already the top assist getter in Europe's top five leagues, Dortmund probably think they've got themselves a bargain.

Yep. Andy B in the “On the Continent” podcast has been talking about Sancho for weeks, how he’s performed and how Dortmund have been using him.

Great podcast, along with Golazzo (thanks for flagging that one :greengrin)

Pretty Boy
05-10-2018, 11:17 AM
£8-10M isn't a lot of money at the top level now. If you get a player who is a star for a few years and/or nets you £70M further down the line then it's an excellent deal. If it doesn't work out then it's probably the same as us spending £50K on a player and it not working out, probably even less of an issue.

hibsbollah
05-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Yep. Andy B in the “On the Continent” podcast has been talking about Sancho for weeks, how he’s performed and how Dortmund have been using him.

Great podcast, along with Golazzo (thanks for flagging that one :greengrin)

:greengrin There was a top Golazzo episode this week for all the hipsters out there, on Alberto Recoba. I had honestly completely forgotten he existed but my days he could score some ridiculous goals, YouTube confirms.

MWHIBBIES
05-10-2018, 11:36 AM
:greengrin There was a top Golazzo episode this week for all the hipsters out there, on Alberto Recoba. I had honestly completely forgotten he existed but my days he could score some ridiculous goals, YouTube confirms.Alvaro Recoba was better :wink:

hibsbollah
05-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Alvaro Recoba was better :wink:

I see its Pedantry Friday in the playgroup today:na na:

Smartie
05-10-2018, 03:29 PM
:greengrin There was a top Golazzo episode this week for all the hipsters out there, on Alberto Recoba. I had honestly completely forgotten he existed but my days he could score some ridiculous goals, YouTube confirms.

I loved Recoba.

They were talking about him on the BT Sport champions league coverage the other night, as one of the players (may have been for PSV) has a tattoo of Recoba on his arm.

What a left foot.

Winston Ingram
05-10-2018, 04:27 PM
I remember him from England’s u17 WC winning squad. He was outstanding and was recalled by Dortmund before the QF iirc.