PDA

View Full Version : Crown and ball crest

green glory
04-10-2018, 09:49 AM
I've noticed a lot of stuff becoming available over the past few years using the old 70's badge. Does anyone own the copyright on this? I'm thinking in particular copyright the high res file that seems to be readily available online? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of using it on scarfs for some of the guys in the pub i go to before/after games? We already use it on out new flag but I don't want to go using it on other stuff without making sure the owner is cool with it.

:flag:

brianmc
04-10-2018, 10:06 AM
I've noticed a lot of stuff becoming available over the past few years using the old 70's badge. Does anyone own the copyright on this? I'm thinking in particular copyright the high res file that seems to be readily available online? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of using it on scarfs for some of the guys in the pub i go to before/after games? We already use it on out new flag but I don't want to go using it on other stuff without making sure the owner is cool with it.

I think the Lord Lyon is yer man. Protector of heraldic symbols or some such. I'm pretty sure Hibs had to do away with this badge because they didn't have permission from Lord Lyon to use the crown.

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I think the Lord Lyon is yer man. Protector of heraldic symbols or some such. I'm pretty sure Hibs had to do away with this badge because they didn't have permission from Lord Lyon to use the crown.

Correct.

Austinho
04-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Correct.That’s not quite correct. The Lord Lyon is responsible for enforcing heraldic law in Scotland, where no person or organisation can use “a heraldic device” without their permission. A crown is deemed heraldic as it is a symbol of the monarchy. Therefore Lord Lyon’s Office banned the use of the old Hibernian FC crest because it broke heraldic law, not because he was the copyright holder himself.

Ayr United had to change their badge recently for the same reason, as did Airdrieonians. St Mirren had to change theirs years ago, and Aberdeen and Kilmarnock had to stop using their town’s coat of arms.

green glory
04-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Cheers for the replies. I know about the whole Lord Lyon thing, I was thinking more about who created the digital file which is now being used. I don’t want to go assuming it’s cool for me to use it when someone else put in the time and effort on Photoshop making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinho
04-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Cheers for the replies. I know about the whole Lord Lyon thing, I was thinking more about who created the digital file which is now being used. I don’t want to go assuming it’s cool for me to use it when someone else put in the time and effort on Photoshop making it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI can’t confirm for certain, but I’d suggest given whoever created the digital version has no legal standing as it wasn’t their intellectual property in the first place.

greenginger
04-10-2018, 10:52 AM

I think they could have applied and got permission for a small fee.

It was just Duff and Gray preferred a beer bottle label for a badge. :greengrin

green glory
04-10-2018, 10:52 AM
I can’t confirm for certain, but I’d suggest given whoever created the digital version has no legal standing as it wasn’t their intellectual property in the first place.

That sounds about right to be honest, and considering the proliferation of the file on scarves, flags and t-shirts etc I can’t see the problem with using it for more of the same thing. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
04-10-2018, 11:28 AM

It was just Duff and Gray preferred a beer bottle label for a badge. :greengrin

A truly awful one at that

Austinho
04-10-2018, 12:39 PM

It was just Duff and Gray preferred a beer bottle label for a badge. :greengrin£2,500 nowadays to apply to Lord Lyon, which is ridiculous. It’s about £100 for the equivalent in England. No idea what it would that would have equated to back in those days, but there would have been little to zero chance of it being accepted due to their rules anyway.

For what it’s worth, I think the Planet Saturn is cool AF nowadays in a nostalgic kind of way.

DC_Hibs
04-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Mate, it’s a few fitba scarves just get on with it.

I recently superimposed a pic of my lovepole onto a photo I found online of a wide mouthed Beyoncé. I never once thought to seek the owners persmission.

Hibs.net eh

jodjam
04-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Got the tattoo and 2 months later they changed the badge

Smartie
04-10-2018, 12:54 PM
£2,500 nowadays to apply to Lord Lyon, which is ridiculous. It’s about £100 for the equivalent in England. No idea what it would that would have equated to back in those days, but there would have been little to zero chance of it being accepted due to their rules anyway.

For what it’s worth, I think the Planet Saturn is cool AF nowadays in a nostalgic kind of way.

I didn't think much of it at the time but really like it now.

It's symbolic of a particular era - the era when I got into following Hibs. I really like (and I know that many don't) that it is carved into the North and South stands.

All of our crests are cool in a different way.

Saturday Boy
04-10-2018, 12:55 PM

You were lucky.

Think of the poor soul with the Romanov tattoo 😄

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-10-2018, 07:50 PM
I didn't think much of it at the time but really like it now.

It's symbolic of a particular era - the era when I got into following Hibs. I really like (and I know that many don't) that it is carved into the North and South stands.

All of our crests are cool in a different way.

Pet peeve of mine. Those holes in the struts need welded over.

seanshow
04-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Would you have a link to so we can see what image it is.

majorhibs
04-10-2018, 10:26 PM

& there was me moanin about gettin it 2 years afore! Grew up wi that badge!

.Sean.
05-10-2018, 03:18 AM

Mon the crown

Chic Murray
05-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Mon the crown

Flag debate alert.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-10-2018, 05:14 AM

Mon the crown

You need to iron that again mate

Roxyhibee
05-10-2018, 06:45 AM
We won the League Cup in ‘91 with the egg badge, so will always have fond memories of it.

Our latest badge is fantastic though, no need to ever change it.

superfurryhibby
05-10-2018, 06:48 AM
In the 60’s there a Hibs with a castle as the crest. It wasn’t on the jersey, but featured on scarfs. I always remember my cot ( which I probably slept in until I was five or six, being one of the urban poor) had a large sticker with the a castle and Hibernian FC on it).

The crown was introduced in the 70’s. Never liked it as a teenager. My anti establishment attitudes didn’t sit easily with that symbol.

Pretty Boy
05-10-2018, 07:00 AM
The 'looks like something you'd find on a Real Madrid strip in a market' badge. Honking.

BILLYHIBS
05-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Loved the original Harp Badge, the crown and ball and the belhaven badge even like the belhaven badge in the rivets of the stands.

Each badge to me defines a certain point in our illustrious history.

The latest badge is a simple design has everything about our club and sums up our history tradition locality and community.

To me it is perfect

It will forever be the badge of our club when we found the holy grail returning the harp to our crest lifting the supposed gipsys curse and most importantly ending 114 years of hurt.

GGTTH

Phil MaGlass
05-10-2018, 07:15 AM
In the 60’s there a Hibs with a castle as the crest. It wasn’t on the jersey, but featured on scarfs. I always remember my cot ( which I probably slept in until I was five or six, being one of the urban poor) had a large sticker with the a castle and Hibernian FC on it).

The crown was introduced in the 70’s. Never liked it as a teenager. My anti establishment attitudes didn’t sit easily with that symbol.

Last paragraph, me too. Thought I was maybe the only one.Done ma heid in.

Geo_1875
05-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Loved the original Harp Badge, the crown and ball and the belhaven badge even like the belhaven badge in the rivets of the stands.

Each badge to me defines a certain point in our illustrious history.

The latest badge is a simple design has everything about our club and sums up our history tradition locality and community.

To me it is perfect

It will forever be the badge of our club when we found the holy grail returning the harp to our crest lifting the supposed gipsys curse and most importantly ending 114 years of hurt.

GGTTH

Got all four on my arm. If they change it again it's going on my arse cheek.

McrHibee
05-10-2018, 02:27 PM
I knocked up a few of the 'Bestie Bobbles' featured in my avatar picture on the left last year, after the club shop sold out of hats before Christmas and I needed to keep me bonce warm in the East Stand winter breeze.
With regards the copyright, I thought with the fact I'm only producing a coupe of dozen, took the FC off the crest and if anyone wanted to sue me then they've no chance of getting a bean out of us with my financial situation, I didn't really expect a knock on the door from Mr Copyright Man.
Crack on with what you want to produce... in these more sanitised days of football, anything that helps recreate those memories of years gone by when we first fell in love with the game can only be a good thing in my book (still got a few bobbles available as well if anyone's interested and wants to send us a PM)

Dashing Bob S
05-10-2018, 02:52 PM
The crown and ball crest was possibly the biggest emblematic joke a club have perpetuated on themselves in the history of the game. Glad the embarrassment has been consigned to the dustbin of history.

My_Wife_Camille
05-10-2018, 02:57 PM
The crown has no place on a Hibernian shirt imo

McrHibee
05-10-2018, 03:05 PM
The crown has no place on a Hibernian shirt imo

Though I can't really disagree with that, it was worn on some pretty sexy Hibs shirts

JohnMcM
05-10-2018, 04:03 PM
I bought my scarf in 1964/65 season (see my avatar). Does anyone know when this particular badge was introduced?