PDA

View Full Version : New Venom Movie

calumhibee1
03-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Anyone seen this and notice the very prominent Hibs badge bang in the middle of the screen when Tom Hardy is in the bar near the start?

Davy Mac
03-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Yes, my son and I spotted it as well, great stuff.

Glory Lurker
03-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Not seen this, but sure it wouldn’t have happened without Lennon’s reason for signing Kamberi.

Zazu62
03-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Anyone got a pic?

Blocks Biloxi
03-10-2018, 09:59 PM
I notice it's set in San Francisco. If it was filmed there, it's probably the Edinburgh Castle pub on Geary St. When I was in there they had a big Hibs pendant hanging behind the bar.

HibeeLR
03-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Just back in from seeing it, can't believe I have missed that haha, any pic would be appreciated. Also, films a belter

BegbieHSC
03-10-2018, 11:27 PM
“Signed by Lennon...”

BILLYHIBS
04-10-2018, 06:48 AM
I am sure that in Eric Stevenson’s book he said that on their American tour in the 1960s the HIBS players used to drink in The Edinburgh Castle.The barman owner thought all his Christmases had come at once!

calumhibee1
04-10-2018, 07:36 AM
I notice it's set in San Francisco. If it was filmed there, it's probably the Edinburgh Castle pub on Geary St. When I was in there they had a big Hibs pendant hanging behind the bar.

Just googled it, that looks like it is the one 👍🏼

CropleyWasGod
04-10-2018, 07:38 AM
I notice it's set in San Francisco. If it was filmed there, it's probably the Edinburgh Castle pub on Geary St. When I was in there they had a big Hibs pendant hanging behind the bar.Pedants' Corner. Was it a pendant, a pennant or a pendant pennant?

[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PatHead
04-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Is this film about the The Rangers fans reaction to the final? Tom Hardy is playing the part of Lee Wallace who features heavily.

Hibby70
04-10-2018, 09:19 AM
http://www.sfweekly.com/culture/tom-hardy-will-film-scenes-for-venom-in-and-around-edinburgh-castle/

Hibby70
04-10-2018, 09:22 AM
How many other films have Hibs references in them?

Trainspotting
The Acid House
Sunshine on Leith
are obvious

Under The Skin has a Hibee victim
Restless Natives chase scene

Any more?

Sweet Left Peg
04-10-2018, 09:43 AM
https://www.totalhappyhour.com/happy-hour-for-edinburgh-castle-pub-in-san-francisco-ca-94109/

yonder1875
04-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Trainspotting
The Acid House
Sunshine on Leith
are obvious

Any more?

Filth.

hfc rd
04-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Going to see it either tonight or tomorrow morning so will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Speaking about the film, is it any good?

Future17
04-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Pedants' Corner. Was it a pendant, a pennant or a pendant pennant?

[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Are you being a pendant pennant pedant?

CropleyWasGod
04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Are you being a pendant pennant pedant?

Yup, and pending BB'S response, this pedant may see him being pendant from a lamp-post, fluttering like a pennant.

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Yup, and pending BB'S response, this pedant may see him being pendant from a lamp-post, fluttering like a pennant.

:greengrin

My mum's sister used to give me the same unimaginative gift every birthday and Christmas.

I called her my pen aunt.

CropleyWasGod
04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
My mum's sister used to give me the same unimaginative gift every birthday and Christmas.

I called her my pen aunt.

Is that Jermaine to this conversation?

brog
04-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Trainspotting
The Acid House
Sunshine on Leith
are obvious

Any more?

Open Doors, Ian Rankin book. Actually starts with a game at ER.

brog
04-10-2018, 11:27 AM

I used to stay in a hotel on Union Sq on my frequent visits to SF in 90's. I went to Edinburgh Castle a few times but TBH, it's a manky bar & the stagger back down hill through the Tenderloin was always an adventure. Can't recall ever seeing a Hibs pennant there so good to know the word has spread.

Gatecrasher
04-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Trainspotting
The Acid House
Sunshine on Leith
are obvious

Any more?
Gangs of new York - that's a bit of a stretch though :greengrin

Kato
04-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Filth.

Does it reference Hibs? It certainly references Hearts.

Hibbyradge
04-10-2018, 01:43 PM
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/venom_2018

Michael
04-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Hibs definitely appears in Filth.

Dalianwanda
04-10-2018, 02:24 PM

I played half of the band Elbow at pool in there...true story 😉

Was also used for the wedding in So I Married An Axe Murder.

floog
04-10-2018, 02:32 PM
I played half of the band Elbow at pool in there...true story ��

Was also used for the wedding in So I Married An Axe Murder.

When living in SF in the mid-nineties I saw a stage production of Trainspotting in the room above the bar in this pub, weirdly I think the pub was owned by Koreans at that time

patch1875
04-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Is it any good? Thought the trailer was a bit meh.

Dalianwanda
04-10-2018, 03:33 PM
When living in SF in the mid-nineties I saw a stage production of Trainspotting in the room above the bar in this pub, weirdly I think the pub was owned by Koreans at that time

Yeah I mind Irvine W talking about that when he was living in Dublin. Think he mentioned doing readings or something there too.

Deansy
04-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Trainspotting
The Acid House
Sunshine on Leith
are obvious

Any more?

Gordon Smith appeared in one of the beach scenes in one of my all-time favourite films - 'To Catch A Thief' (1955) - with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly no less !

From the Daily Hun -

First of the movie star footballers

thesun (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/author/thesun/)
5th September 2011, 11:00 pm
Updated: 26th October 2016, 6:17 pm

GORDON SMITH was the man with movie star looks who dined at the top table of Scottish football.
But little did he know he’d be offered a part in an Alfred Hitchock film over breakfast one morning.
Sleep-loving Smith will forever be the stuff of dreams for Hibs fans as one of their Famous Five.
But he was also one of the first Scottish footballers to embrace the celebrity lifestyle that brought.
Smith, who was 80 when he passed away in 2004, was the only Scot to win three Scottish League titles with different clubs.
During his playing days the ex-Hibs, Hearts and Dundee ace holidayed in the south of France, a place he called ‘a little bit of heaven’.
He drove a sports car, became close friends with greats of the jazz scene and golfing world — and enthralled French movie star Brigitte Bardot with his stories eating bread pudding in the Smiths’ front room.
Smith had grown up a Jambo but made his name on the other side of the city.
As his name and reputation began to grow, so he lapped up everything that came with it.
Trips to Cannes became an annual pilgrimage after being introduced to the place by friend Willie Murphy just after World War Two.
Hitchcock’s movie To Catch a Thief was set on the French Riviera in 1954. Film addict Smith was in the flick as an extra yet never received a billing!
He’d arrived in Cannes when the offer of appearing came after breakfast one morning.
The film crew were staying in the same hotel and one was a keen football fan who recognised Gordon and offered him the part! Two years later his stay surpassed even that.
It was ‘jazz year’ and one of his big heroes, American saxophonist, clarinettist and composer, Sidney Bechet was performing.
Gordon timed his vacation to coincide — and couldn’t believe his luck when he discovered Bechet was staying in the same hotel.
Smith was asked for a few autographs at breakfast, something Bechet spotted.
The pair hit it off straight away and from then on Gordon would get back-stage passes to the various venues Bechet was playing.
Just after dawn each morning Gordon would join Bechet for a swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
The jazzman would say: “I can hear music in the sound of those waves, Gordon. The waves are talkin’ to me, man. You must be able to hear it. You must.”
The friendship would be shortlived, as the untimely death of Bechet was under three years away — from lung cancer.
In 1966 Smith, now retired, was to welcome one of the most famous residents on the French Riviera into his own house.
Bardot was shooting the film Two Weeks in September in East Lothian and was staying near Gordon’s house in the village of Dirleton, at The Open Arms Hotel.
On a day off from filming whilst out for a walk with husband Gunther Sachs she encroached on to Gordon’s property. Smith’s wife Joan invited the couple in for some of her bread pudding.
Bardot, who was based in St Tropez, was intrigued by Gordon’s stories, not so much football, but his knowledge of the Cote d’Azur.
Yet for all Cannes held a fondness in Smith’s heart, it was also the place where he was told the devastating news his father had died – in spooky circumstances.
It was 1968 and Gordon and Joan were woken one night by rattling inside the wardrobe. They were convinced they witnessed a figure in the form of a young boy, heading toward son Anthony’s bed. Both were frozen to the spot when a knock at the door informing Gordon of the call from home, disturbed ‘the figure’. Had this been an omen?

Whay a guy !

Sean1875
04-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Aye theres a massive painting of a Hibs badge on one of the walls when James McAvoy bursts into some fellas flat.

Blocks Biloxi
04-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Aye theres a massive painting of a Hibs badge on one of the walls when James McAvoy bursts into some fellas flat.

My avatar's from Filth. Doesn't feature Hibs though. :greengrin

mutley
04-10-2018, 09:07 PM

One of the guys the 2 cops go and see has a Hibs badge tattoo and in the bedroom (where he gets a BJ of the QC’s daughter) Hibs badge in the wall , and poster of ER too

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181004/fa046c49621916aa7f0a53006c387824.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181004/3bfcaa02459037445d133e05f836e9a2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181004/e34db904134e1d32fcc8d67375447b0f.jpg

There you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billychaotic182
04-10-2018, 09:07 PM
For folk asking.

Venom was better than expected. Other than no spider-man it stuck to a lot of the venom comic storyline. It was slow to start with and the end battle is quite short. But it’s definitely better than some reviews are saying. Very good post credit scene.

Will say this about it as a slight negative. It’s not as dark as it could have been. Another plus is it only has one joke in it which is rare for a marvel film!

BILLYHIBS
05-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Prefer the new Tam Agyepong movie

A STAR IS BORN :greengrin

One Day Soon
05-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Gordon Smith appeared in one of the beach scenes in one of my all-time favourite films - 'To Catch A Thief' (1955) - with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly no less !

From the Daily Hun -

GORDON SMITH was the man with movie star looks who dined at the top table of Scottish football.
But little did he know he’d be offered a part in an Alfred Hitchock film over breakfast one morning.
Sleep-loving Smith will forever be the stuff of dreams for Hibs fans as one of their Famous Five.
But he was also one of the first Scottish footballers to embrace the celebrity lifestyle that brought.
Smith, who was 80 when he passed away in 2004, was the only Scot to win three Scottish League titles with different clubs.
During his playing days the ex-Hibs, Hearts and Dundee ace holidayed in the south of France, a place he called ‘a little bit of heaven’.
He drove a sports car, became close friends with greats of the jazz scene and golfing world — and enthralled French movie star Brigitte Bardot with his stories eating bread pudding in the Smiths’ front room.
As his name and reputation began to grow, so he lapped up everything that came with it.
Trips to Cannes became an annual pilgrimage after being introduced to the place by friend Willie Murphy just after World War Two.
Hitchcock’s movie To Catch a Thief was set on the French Riviera in 1954. Film addict Smith was in the flick as an extra yet never received a billing!
He’d arrived in Cannes when the offer of appearing came after breakfast one morning.
The film crew were staying in the same hotel and one was a keen football fan who recognised Gordon and offered him the part! Two years later his stay surpassed even that.
It was ‘jazz year’ and one of his big heroes, American saxophonist, clarinettist and composer, Sidney Bechet was performing.
Gordon timed his vacation to coincide — and couldn’t believe his luck when he discovered Bechet was staying in the same hotel.
The pair hit it off straight away and from then on Gordon would get back-stage passes to the various venues Bechet was playing.
Just after dawn each morning Gordon would join Bechet for a swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
The jazzman would say: “I can hear music in the sound of those waves, Gordon. The waves are talkin’ to me, man. You must be able to hear it. You must.”
The friendship would be shortlived, as the untimely death of Bechet was under three years away — from lung cancer.
In 1966 Smith, now retired, was to welcome one of the most famous residents on the French Riviera into his own house.
Bardot was shooting the film Two Weeks in September in East Lothian and was staying near Gordon’s house in the village of Dirleton, at The Open Arms Hotel.
On a day off from filming whilst out for a walk with husband Gunther Sachs she encroached on to Gordon’s property. Smith’s wife Joan invited the couple in for some of her bread pudding.
Bardot, who was based in St Tropez, was intrigued by Gordon’s stories, not so much football, but his knowledge of the Cote d’Azur.
Yet for all Cannes held a fondness in Smith’s heart, it was also the place where he was told the devastating news his father had died – in spooky circumstances.
It was 1968 and Gordon and Joan were woken one night by rattling inside the wardrobe. They were convinced they witnessed a figure in the form of a young boy, heading toward son Anthony’s bed. Both were frozen to the spot when a knock at the door informing Gordon of the call from home, disturbed ‘the figure’. Had this been an omen?

Whay a guy !

What a great post. Worth it for Brigitte Bardot in Dirleton alone.

BILLYHIBS
05-10-2018, 07:51 AM

From the Daily Hun -

Whay a guy !

Excellent post!

I have a framed photo of Briget Bardot with her costar on the Beach at North Berwick with the Bass Rock in the background taken from the film set of Two Weeks in September which I bought in Monaco which hangs in my hall but is available from gettyimages

You will no doubt be aware that “Gordon Smith Prince of Wingers” by Anthony Smith is an excellent read and brings a tear to a glass eye.

number9dream
05-10-2018, 08:00 AM

First place in America to put on the stage version of Trainspotting... Mr Welsh was over a few times.
In the Tenderloin, which is a pretty rum spot in the centre of the city. When my pal worked there, it was owned by a Korean dude...

green with envy
05-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Possibly the biggest Hibs related film is TV movie - Doors Open (2012) starring Douglas Henshall - Hibs fans pouring out of Easter Road at the end of the game and are filmed walking towards and on to Albion Road.

hfc rd
05-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Went to see this film this morning. Looked out for it and saw it. Would not have noticed it until I seen this thread 👍🏾😉

Thought the film was good too. Now going to be taking the little one tomorrow morning to see the new Johnny English film before the Hibs game.

Barman Stanton
05-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Not a film, but the comedy show Bluestone 42 seemed to have plenty Hibs in it. The credits include a Hibs tattoo, and one of the eps was essentially about the Hibs fan trying to get through the day without finding out the score - or something like that.

There was also a fair few Hibs bits in Absolute.

nellio
07-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Just back from watching Venom in the cinema.

Early in the film there is a scene in a San Francisco bar and there is a hibs badge in the background. Anyone else spotted it?

SChibs
07-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Just back from watching Venom in the cinema.

Early in the film there is a scene in a San Francisco bar and there is a hibs badge in the background. Anyone else spotted it?

Hmmm...

Onceinawhile
07-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Is that not what this thread is about??

It was a separate thread that was merged.

hfc rd
07-10-2018, 04:48 PM
It was a separate thread that was merged.

Ahh right, didn’t know

ekhibee
07-10-2018, 04:50 PM
For folk asking.

Venom was better than expected. Other than no spider-man it stuck to a lot of the venom comic storyline. It was slow to start with and the end battle is quite short. But it’s definitely better than some reviews are saying. Very good post credit scene.

Will say this about it as a slight negative. It’s not as dark as it could have been. Another plus is it only has one joke in it which is rare for a marvel film!
Interesting to read this as the reviews I've read and listened to don't seem to think it's up to much, but it might be worth a look after all.

Bay Area Hibees
07-10-2018, 05:10 PM

The pendant was given to the Scottish owner irvine welsh according to Irvine himself (he had a play showing nearby at place owned by edin castle owner) and has few beers with him. Top guy. Loved to talk hibs.

Johnny_Leith
07-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Interesting to read this as the reviews I've read and listened to don't seem to think it's up to much, but it might be worth a look after all.

I thought it was really poor. Suspect there's big marvel fans that will enjoy it as it's another character/comic brought to life, but as a film it's probably one of the worst I've seen in the last few years.

nellio
07-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Sorry totally missed this thread!!

Blocks Biloxi
08-10-2018, 05:29 PM
The pendant was given to the Scottish owner irvine welsh according to Irvine himself (he had a play showing nearby at place owned by edin castle owner) and has few beers with him. Top guy. Loved to talk hibs.

Great stuff!

huggie1875
08-10-2018, 05:59 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?280215-Scarlett-Johansson-eats-Hibees

Irish_Steve
23-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Ha, I`m just watching Venom now and the scene in the bar - Hibs crest jumped out at me so my next move was to see if anyone else had seen it - way too late as ever, me!

stokesmessiah
24-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Missed the Hibs crest and if I am really honest with you, I wish I had missed the whole film - garbage.