PDA

View Full Version : New overseas tv deal

Paul1642
02-10-2018, 01:52 PM
No figures announced yet but the SPFL has announced a new tv deal with beIN sport who broadcast all over Asia and Australia. I remember being in Malaysia in January and desperately trying to find somewhere to watch the derby but failed as they only had beIN sports. Problem solved in future :). Hopefully brings in bit cash but more importantly a sign that out game is on the up and will raise our profile abroad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45716513

bingo70
02-10-2018, 02:03 PM
No figures announced yet but the SPFL has announced a new tv deal with beIN sport who broadcast all over Asia and Australia. I remember being in Malaysia in January and desperately trying to find somewhere to watch the derby but failed as they only had beIN sports. Problem solved in future :). Hopefully brings in bit cash but more importantly a sign that out game is on the up and will raise our profile abroad.

On the face of it i suppose it can only be a good thing.

The miserable bassa in me just thinks that the SPFL aren't capable of negotiating a decent deal though so i doubt there'll be any noticeable difference to the club. Could be handy i ever find myself in Asia or Australia though which is pretty unlikely, unless the SPFL decide to play the league cup semi finals there next year of course :wink:.

Ryan69
02-10-2018, 02:06 PM
On the face of it i suppose it can only be a good thing.

The miserable bassa in me just thinks that the SPFL aren't capable of negotiating a decent deal though so i doubt there'll be any noticeable difference to the club. Could be handy i ever find myself in Asia or Australia though which is pretty unlikely, unless the SPFL decide to play the league cup semi finals there next year of course :wink:.

Probably more cash in the blazers pockets.

It is strange no figure has been quoted for how much clubs will recieve.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Quite handy for Kodi purposes.

lyonhibs
02-10-2018, 02:27 PM
The HQ of the new media partner this deal has been signed with is literally 30 seconds from my office :cb

I'll report back if it suddenly gets a 24 carat refit........

SingaporeHibs
02-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Looks like Asia is being missed out of this deal unfortunately. Aus, NZ and then 24 nations across the Middle East and Africa. I got a bit excited for a while.

Famous Fiver
02-10-2018, 03:17 PM
3.00 p.m. ko Australian time to suit their telly would mean approx 3.00 a.m. kick off at ER.

Great idea, in my book, no extra traffic, loads of parking and hopefully one or two takeaways get a late licence.

Sorted!!

Wilson
02-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Signed a bad deal with a company that couldn't pay their end. Got dug out of a hole by another company that jumps at a cheap face-saving replacement deal. Present it to the world as a big International deal... figures not available..

Chancers.

alihibs1
02-10-2018, 03:39 PM
I wonder if the fact alot of Australians are over here at the moment has something to do with it.

Also, Scottish football is in its best place in along time in terms of quality. 5 or 6 very good teams in top flight who can all beat each other.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Smartie
02-10-2018, 03:48 PM
I wonder if the fact alot of Australians are over here at the moment has something to do with it.

Also, Scottish football is in its best place in along time in terms of quality. 5 or 6 very good teams in top flight who can all beat each other.

It would be good if we could get some decent viewing figures from this to take forward into negotiations for other deals.

I'm really enjoying my Scottish football at the moment, I'm watching more than ever.

Gloucester Hibs
02-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Absolutely. Just finished another stint offshore in Australia and was surprised, not only by the number of Aussies who knew who Hibs were, but how they were aware of our recent results etc. So some obviously taking an active interest in our fortunes.

worcesterhibby
02-10-2018, 04:57 PM
We should get a higher percentage of the deal as all the Aussies will be tuning in to watch Milligan, Jamie and maybe Boyler in future.

Crazyhorse
02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

Sounds good! I'll be able to watch Hibs in Tunisia.
Can also check out beOUT Q and watch it for free.

Crazyhorse
02-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Signed a bad deal with a company that couldn't pay their end. Got dug out of a hole by another company that jumps at a cheap face-saving replacement deal. Present it to the world as a big International deal... figures not available..

Chancers.

?

lucky
02-10-2018, 05:51 PM
If Doncaster was involved it will be the usual crap deal. The fact they are embarrassed to release the amount they got says it all

WestEndHibee
02-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Having just moved to Christchurch NZ I'm delighted with this.

How does it work out here, do they show live or do they show it delayed?

Forza Fred
02-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Scottish football has been on Bein Sports for several years...since it was Setanta in fact.

Before this deal was announced I watched Livii against Rangers and the highlights package on the Monday.

It did disappear from the screens for about three weeks when the original mob who had the contract went bust.

Just because Bein have the rights again doesn’t mean that Scottish football will get more airtime.

Frequently Scottish games are over looked for live English Championship, Bundesliga or French games, although out here we love it when Hibs are kicking off at 12-30 on a Sunday, as it means the east coast can view the game before silly o’clock.

After this weekend it’s back to an 11 hour time difference, so it’s back to 2am kick offs.

Not a huge change in things here, despite the media claims.

WellingtonHibby
03-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Having just moved to Christchurch NZ I'm delighted with this.

How does it work out here, do they show live or do they show it delayed?

Not at all currently!
Anything is an upgrade. I think I'll still stick to hibs tv

We get together a bit to watch big games (via hibs TV, currently) in the pub in Wellington, if you're ever up this way.

Diclonius
03-10-2018, 09:26 AM
beIN Sport: Hey Neil do you want £10m for the rights to the SPFL?
Doncaster: Ehhh, are you sure? It's pretty ***** tbh. How about £5m?
beIN Sport: Uh, sure I guess?
Doncaster: Actually I've changed my mind, it's £2m and that's my final offer
beIN Sport: Fine

Centre Hawf
03-10-2018, 11:09 AM
I would like to know a bit more before celebrating it. This is the same crowd of clowns thats spun a deal that sounded like we sold TV rights to China for millions when actual fact we were a small part of a packaged deal worth millions for multiple leagues like Romania etc. The biggest one in the package was Serie A and they were the only games being shown. In fact i’m not sure China even showed one game from Scotland.

wpj
03-10-2018, 11:20 AM
I was hoping one of the streaming companies would have tendered for it. Prime are showing EPL matches next year and I'm sure Netflix will want a slice if it is successful.

Forza Fred
05-10-2018, 08:59 AM
I would like to know a bit more before celebrating it. This is the same crowd of clowns thats spun a deal that sounded like we sold TV rights to China for millions when actual fact we were a small part of a packaged deal worth millions for multiple leagues like Romania etc. The biggest one in the package was Serie A and they were the only games being shown. In fact i’m not sure China even showed one game from Scotland.

The deal is not changing anything really, other than cutting out the ‘wholesale’ company that had the rights and onsold them to Setanta.

That company went bust, and Setanta have acquired the rights on their own.

Doesn’t affect coverage, and it would not surprise me in the least if Setanta are actually paying less than the original contract was worth.

To dress it up as beaming Scottish football to where it wasn’t being see...is simply bull dust....as far as Oz is concerned anyway...our Enzed cousins MAY get coverage, but it is up to the local provider.

Steve-O
05-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Not at all currently!
Anything is an upgrade. I think I'll still stick to hibs tv

We get together a bit to watch big games (via hibs TV, currently) in the pub in Wellington, if you're ever up this way.

That’s not true as they’ve showed a few games live this season already and the highlights show.

Steve-O
05-10-2018, 09:53 AM
The deal is not changing anything really, other than cutting out the ‘wholesale’ company that had the rights and onsold them to Setanta.

That company went bust, and Setanta have acquired the rights on their own.

Doesn’t affect coverage, and it would not surprise me in the least if Setanta are actually paying less than the original contract was worth.

To dress it up as beaming Scottish football to where it wasn’t being see...is simply bull dust....as far as Oz is concerned anyway...our Enzed cousins MAY get coverage, but it is up to the local provider.

I would also say that any suggestion that Aussies and Kiwis are tuning into SPFL games is extremely far-fetched. I’d wager it’s 100 % Scottish ex-pats who make up the viewership!

SingaporeHibs
05-10-2018, 05:56 PM
I would also say that any suggestion that Aussies and Kiwis are tuning into SPFL games is extremely far-fetched. I’d wager it’s 100 % Scottish ex-pats who make up the viewership!

You probably aren’t too wrong but us expat Hibees spread the word. There are kids running around in Hibs tops in Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, I’m sure the list could go on. All from charity or gifts but the good name of Hibernian FC is out there and if there was a chance these people could tune into a game they likely would. Developed nations like Aus/NZ where there are a lot of expats could be a great market for us. Just a positive spin on it all

Johnny_Leith
05-10-2018, 06:37 PM

I know a few Aussie boys who watch the spfl highlights regularly enough and will occasionally take in a live game on TV.

nomad
05-10-2018, 07:05 PM
?

??? Totally agree with the post what have the blazers done for Scottish football f** * all over meny years

FilipinoHibs
06-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Looks like Asia is being missed out of this deal unfortunately. Aus, NZ and then 24 nations across the Middle East and Africa. I got a bit excited for a while.

Yes Hibs TV for us in Singapore.

Steve-O
06-10-2018, 10:31 AM
You probably aren’t too wrong but us expat Hibees spread the word. There are kids running around in Hibs tops in Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, I’m sure the list could go on. All from charity or gifts but the good name of Hibernian FC is out there and if there was a chance these people could tune into a game they likely would. Developed nations like Aus/NZ where there are a lot of expats could be a great market for us. Just a positive spin on it all

Don’t disagree! I’m one such expat so I’m happy with the deal, it just makes me laugh to think that people imagine a bunch of Kiwis settling in to watch a Hibs game on TV. I guess there might be a handful who would - the rest, Scottish folk!

Phil MaGlass
06-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Scottish fitba is quite popular abroad especially in Scandinavia, I also know loads of Dutch that watched our cup final, even folk I recently met, one or two have mentioned the cup final after telling them I am a Hibs supporter, but, its quite annoying when alot of them have never heard of us, only sellik and the huns.