PDA

View Full Version : Away fans Scaling over the Dunbar End...

Viva_Palmeiras
02-10-2018, 02:32 AM
From memory it appeared to be Celtic fans I recalled climbing over the fence
for packed games (usually at night iirc) anyone else got better recollection? Ah the Good old days with the away fans exposed to the elements :)

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Not only away fans, when i was a kid my mates and i used to scale over the Dunbar end most weeks.

We used to get up to the ground very early, maybe 1pm -130pm and climb over then hide until the crowds started coming in, then we'd just blend in.

There was no segregation in those days, so we were not made to view the game with the opposition fans. :greengrin

GreenLake
02-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Not only away fans, when i was a kid my mates and i used to scale over the Dunbar end most weeks.

We used to get up to the ground very early, maybe 1pm -130pm and climb over then hide until the crowds started coming in, then we'd just blend in.

There was no segregation in those days, so we were not made to view the game with the opposition fans. :greengrin

I hope you have recompensed the club by donating to HSL ten times the gate fees for those instances of thievery. :greengrin

lyonhibs
02-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Not the Dunbar end for my generation, but I remember watching scores of young rascals clamber on to the roof of the old toilets outside the East, lie low and then jump down in to the masses when no one was looking.

Any one willing to own up to being one of them? :greengrin

Orchard_Hibs
02-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Not the Dunbar end for my generation, but I remember watching scores of young rascals clamber on to the roof of the old toilets outside the East, lie low and then jump down in to the masses when no one was looking.

Any one willing to own up to being one of them? :greengrin

Daz was one of them.

Hillsidehibby
02-10-2018, 06:41 AM
I have actually climbed out over the wall at the Dunbar end.

superfurryhibby
02-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Started climbing in to the ground from around age 8. Moved to Elbe St in Leith in 1972 and that was just the norm for us all. Rarely ever paid in again, until I got to around 17 or 18 and realised that I might get a bit more than a stern word from the polis if caught.

Rarely into the Dunbar end. Mostly up the side of the gates into the terrace, then once old enough you could run at the wall, bounce against it with one foot and get a hand on the top, then over in a flash.

Favourite moment was mid70’s v the Hun. Up at ER early doors, borrowed a ladder from a BBC outside broadcast van and in. Smart enough to sit in the bushes on the rear of the terrace slope and watch the ensuing chase as other wee bams made it in but were spotted by stewards.

Youngsters these days don’t know how good they have it with their paid entry and slices of pizza etc. For the urban poor in the 1970’s getting money for the fitba from yer Ma wasn’t really an option.

SirDavidsNapper
02-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Our record attendance is probably around 70k rather than 65/66k

heretoday
02-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Started climbing in to the ground from around age 8. Moved to Elbe St in Leith in 1972 and that was just the norm for us all. Rarely ever paid in again, until I got to around 17 or 18 and realised that I might get a bit more than a stern word from the polis if caught.

Rarely into the Dunbar end. Mostly up the side of the gates into the terrace, then once old enough you could run at the wall, bounce against it with one foot and get a hand on the top, then over in a flash.

Favourite moment was mid70’s v the Hun. Up at ER early doors, borrowed a ladder from a BBC outside broadcast van and in. Smart enough to sit in the bushes on the rear of the terrace slope and watch the ensuing chase as other wee bams made it in but were spotted by stewards.

Youngsters these days don’t know how good they have it with their paid entry and slices of pizza etc. For the urban poor in the 1970’s getting money for the fitba from yer Ma wasn’t really an option.

They don't know they're born.
Scaling the East Terrace wall, landing on stony ground and facing an endless climb up those steps - and all this with four cans of export stuffed down the jeans.
To see what? Benny effing Brazil.

southern hibby
02-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Me and a mate used to go into the cowshed end and between the turnstiles and cowshed their was a slope with steps heading up to get into cowshed there was lots of bushes etc. We found a hollow with a big root over it covered in grass that we could get in and hide and then come out and mingle with crowds turning up. Probably because I went to the footy like this and could get in that’s probably why now I’m addicted and go constantly.

Trust me Hibs have had their money back of me numerous times and I pay into HSL too.

GGTTH

Killiehibbie
02-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Me and a mate used to go into the cowshed end and between the turnstiles and cowshed their was a slope with steps heading up to get into cowshed there was lots of bushes etc. We found a hollow with a big root over it covered in grass that we could get in and hide and then come out and mingle with crowds turning up. Probably because I went to the footy like this and could get in that’s probably why now I’m addicted and go constantly.

Trust me Hibs have had their money back of me numerous times and I pay into HSL too.

GGTTH
I remember seeing the stewards throwing bricks into the bushes there and at the back of the terracing. It was much safer to get a good crowd and make a run for it from the wall at the back of the terracing, hoping that you weren't the one to get caught and literally booted out.

Fife-Hibee
02-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Used to do it all the time, but one time my cousin and I climbed in the Dunbar end then into the old toilets under the west climed through the roof and along the beams over the shop and player entrance. We were playing Celtic that day’ we looked down and there was Danny mcGrain standing pissing himself laughing at us. 😁

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Remember one evening game in the late 70s, the lane at the back of the east terrace and a plank being held against the wall by a lone policeman who was there helping me and other young lads up it and over the wall, whenever I tell that story I’m accused of making it up but it 100% happened

southern hibby
02-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I remember seeing the stewards throwing bricks into the bushes there and at the back of the terracing. It was much safer to get a good crowd and make a run for it from the wall at the back of the terracing, hoping that you weren't the one to get caught and literally booted out.

Never got caught and never got hit with bricks etc as we were literally under the earth because of that huge root and what debris over the years actually was on top of it.

GGTTH

Topographic Hibby
02-10-2018, 01:05 PM
They don't know they're born.
Scaling the East Terrace wall, landing on stony ground and facing an endless climb up those steps - and all this with four cans of export stuffed down the jeans.
To see what? Benny effing Brazil.Friend of mine played a bit of youth/juvenile football in and around Leith. Occasionally, games finished around 3pm and he had a quick run up the road to ER.

He tells the story of arriving around 3.30 to find gates shut at a home game v Patrick. He started to climb in, only to meet two fans in full green and white attire who were climbing out! They had had enough...

All to see Benny F.... Brazil....!! :greengrin

Keith_M
Think of where we would be today if you lot had paid to get in!

:grr:

Tom Hart will be turning in his grave.

hibsfan7
I remember getting caught with the police climbing over the wall and they told me get back into your spot and watch the second half lol

:hibees:hibees:hibees

CMurdoch
02-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I hope you have recompensed the club by donating to HSL ten times the gate fees for those instances of thievery. :greengrin

He stole the Drug and has suffered and paid the price a hundred fold.
Hibs knew what he was doin' and the long term consequences :wink:.

linlithgowhibbie
02-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Climbed in once aged about 10 at the Famous Five end, got grease from the top of the wall on my jeans and cut my leg on the glass on top.

Got into trouble from my mum and dad when I got home.

Learned my lesson that day:agree:

GreenLake
02-10-2018, 01:29 PM
I remember getting caught with the police climbing over the wall and they told me get back into your spot and watch the second half lol

:hibees:hibees:hibees

:faf:

MSK
02-10-2018, 05:18 PM
We used to use old bed frames etc to scale the walls of the East terrace, we used our pal, big fat Malky as bait, he climbed over first, got chased and caught by the Stewards then we all nipped over as he was being manhandled out the gates, the guy would do anything for a jam piece 🤭

pacoluna
02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Same posters would be the first to leave a condescending remark if someone used their bairns season ticket or don't give their ticket back to the club if not being used.

Ah but those were the days
... Hypocrites.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Same posters would be the first to leave a condescending remark if someone used their bairns season ticket or don't give their ticket back to the club if not being used.

... Hypocrites.

FFS there is always one. :faf:

MSK
02-10-2018, 06:34 PM

... Hypocrites.Same posters ? You know **** all about me so stick your condescending pish where the sun dont shine, thanks 🖕

Carheenlea
02-10-2018, 06:36 PM

... Hypocrites.

This comment isn’t really in the spirit of the thread to be fair. We’re talking about when folk were kids here.

Tornadoes70
02-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Doubling up through the turnstile used to be a popular one where one guy would pay the turnstile operator who sat behind the turnstile and wire grille and as soon as the turnstile clicked to let the payee through someone else would suddenly squeeze in very tight with the payee and double up into the stand or terracing beyond. The turnstile guy would either shout something or just let it go as there was nothing they could do about it really as it was all done in a flash and gone before any stewards could react. Lifting kids over the turnstile was another one.

Mon the Cabbage.

:flag:

SCHAEDYSHORTS
02-10-2018, 07:27 PM
I used to save any school dinner money, bus fares, anything to get to games back in the early 70s, go in the east over the seemingly massive terracing past the tv gantry then right down to pitch side by the wall to get as close as I could, pals would call for me early afternoon, Mam always questioning me “saying your no going to match today as there will be bother for sure” no ma was the reply, I was no sooner out of the stairwell when the scarf was out from under the coat & round my neck! Remember the noise of “ the old boys” or so we thought stamping there feet on the old wooden main stand floor, the halftime score board thing & the song woah woah woah it’s magic by pilot booming over the tanoy ( probably the same one we have today ��)Feel so lucky to have seen the Tornadoes in their heyday, took it all for granted, I mean “we’re Hibs” we are always brilliant or so I thought, living down South now don’t get to many games these days but always try & get in the East when I come up & love every moment of it
:hibees

stoneyburn hibs
02-10-2018, 07:30 PM
This comment isn’t really in the spirit of the thread to be fair. We’re talking about when folk were kids here.

Good thread otherwise.

Geo_1875
02-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Never climbed in but was there every game from about the age of 7. Used to get a lift-over regularly. If I didn't have enough money to get in we'd wait until near half-time when they opened the gates and made a mad dash for the terracing. Was usually fine but if there was a poor crowd and the stewards were bored they'd chase you for ages.

JK Rolling
02-10-2018, 10:31 PM

... Hypocrites.

Not sure if you're at it or not.

I'm pretty sure that a number of us on here who 'had' to somehow get into the ground free of charge as kids due to a lack of funds at home have more than made up for it, through season tickets, etc., since we've been able to afford it.

I used the word 'had' to emphasise that when the club's in your blood then needs must.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-10-2018, 05:04 AM
So just me then :)

superfurryhibby
03-10-2018, 07:04 AM

... Hypocrites.

You clearly didn’t read the part where poor families was mentioned? Or at wind-up as per?

I still wish bairns could find ways in for free, paying in isn’t all it’s made out to be.