PDA

View Full Version : If This Season Is Not The Season for a Title Challenge; When the Effe Is??!

HibeeHutch
30-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Seriously, if not now then when?

This is thee most competitive and balanced league that I can remember in a long, long time. I thought we did decent business in the summer but given the opportunity should we be doing our upmost to strengthen even more in January and give this a real good go??

If not, why not? The mindset (at least on the surface) needs to change.

HH

thegaffer12
30-09-2018, 04:58 PM
The surprise teams that win titles, eg. Leicester, Montpellier, never go out to say "lets win a title". With hearts fans going on about winning the title in the way they are, they are sure to crash and burn. Hopefully Hibs will just take every game as it comes, and not get dizzy at the top with delusion.

...and then in May we can start getting excited:wink:

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Next season will be the one.
Reasoning - Our midfield other than Milligan is not quite right and we are struggling to get MacLaren and Kamberi on the pitch together.

SRHibs
30-09-2018, 05:01 PM
We are in an awkward position this season with regards Celtic. If they pick things up and start playing well then a title challenge is extremely unlikely. Conversely, if they keep doing ***** and Brenda gets the sack, I can’t see any other outcome than NL as Celtic manager. If that does happen, I hope the board retain the same amount of ambition when finding his replacement.

Our squad is the strongest it’s been for a long while though.

Hibernia&Alba
30-09-2018, 05:06 PM
I don't think we'll put in a title challenge. If we still had last season's midfield, I would say we have a chance, but I think we'll end up battling for third, which is pretty good. Celtc and The Rangers will start to get some momentum and some point, and I think they will take the top two places, Celtc as champions again. It's true there's always that wee chance it could be a year when an outsider comes through, as Leicester did, and Hearts will be thinking the same.

Lancs Harp
30-09-2018, 05:18 PM
We are in an awkward position this season with regards Celtic. If they pick things up and start playing well then a title challenge is extremely unlikely. Conversely, if they keep doing ***** and Brenda gets the sack, I can’t see any other outcome than NL as Celtic manager. If that does happen, I hope the board retain the same amount of ambition when finding his replacement.

Personally if Celtic and Rodgers part company I dont think Celtic will look to NL. Very much of a case of been there and done it and not the way they want to move their club forward. I'd be very surprised to see NL back at Parkhead. I think English Championship clubs are more of a carrot to NL.

cleanyman
30-09-2018, 05:30 PM
We could

But the team at the minute is too disjointed. Our acid tests will be against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts

Pretty Boy
30-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Beyond them being Celtic and Rangers is there any reason why people are so confident they will begin to pull away? Rangers look really poor away from home and Celtic aren't firing at all and have 1 fit striker. Both also have a sustained run of midweek games for the forseeable. It was the same the year Hearts ran away with the Championship, even when it was obvious they were better than Rangers there was still a chorus of 'Rangers will catch them' well into the 2nd half of the season. In the end we ended up above them as well.

Of course you can't ignore the weight of 30+ years of history but history doesn't put points on the board. It would take a real run of no injuries and minimal suspensions for another team to do it but I think they will be closer to the pack than many think.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Beyond them being Celtic and Rangers is there any reason why people are so confident they will begin to pull away? Rangers look really poor away from home and Celtic aren't firing at all and have 1 fit striker. Both also have a sustained run of midweek games for the forseeable. It was the same the year Hearts ran away with the Championship, even when it was obvious they were better than Rangers there was still a chorus of 'Rangers will catch them' well into the 2nd half of the season. In the end we ended up above them as well.

Of course you can't ignore the weight of 30+ years of history but history doesn't put points on the board. It would take a real run of no injuries and minimal suspensions for another team to do it but I think they will be closer to the pack than many think.

:confused:
Not in the case of Sevco.

Hibernia&Alba
30-09-2018, 05:42 PM
:confused:
Not in the case of Sevco.

:hilarious

Jones28
30-09-2018, 05:50 PM
We could

But the team at the minute is too disjointed. Our acid tests will be against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts

Yepp, we've got a tough run after the Accies game on Saturday and need to keep accumulating points.

Celtic are wobbly but have quality, Rangers have shown they are beatable and will have a tough test against Hearts and like it or not our pink chums are top of the league on merit.

wookie70
30-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Why wait until January. We need another striker and there are a few that may be available to provide competition. It would be amazing if we could mount a challenge but I'm delighted that Aberdeen have started poorly and hope that we can get third. That would be a fantastic season anything more would need substantial investment and lets be honest The Rangers and Celtc will both go on a spending spree in January.

rcarter1
30-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Agree with the OP, this season looks like an opportunity as Celtic and Rangers look vulnerable, but Hearts have the advantage of that right now. Big balanced squad steamrolling most teams. If we are in with a shout by the end it will be awesome, but we will need some big wins like at Tynecastle, Celtic Park etc.

Hibernia&Alba
30-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Winning the league would be 2016 times one hundred; the scenes would be legendary. I'd give my right baw for it to happen.

where'stheslope
30-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Agree with the OP, this season looks like an opportunity as Celtic and Rangers look vulnerable, but Hearts have the advantage of that right now. Big balanced squad steamrolling most teams. If we are in with a shout by the end it will be awesome, but we will need some big wins like at Tynecastle, Celtic Park etc.
Its up to all the teams to watch how both Celtic and Rangers are being taken down a peg or two by other teams and go for the jugular rather than trying just to stop them scoring!
Taking the game to them seems to trouble them more than I can ever remember, by christmas it could be a really good league, full of challengers, us included!!!!

Hi Heid Yin
30-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Seriously, if not now then when?

This is thee most competitive and balanced league that I can remember in a long, long time. I thought we did decent business in the summer but given the opportunity should we be doing our upmost to strengthen even more in January and give this a real good go??

If not, why not? The mindset (at least on the surface) needs to change.

HH

The signs at this early stage (with an erratic Celtic and Sevco, a strong Hibs, Livi and Kilmarnock, a stuttering Aberdeen, and a high-flying Hearts) are that this potentially could be an historical season with the mouth-watering prospect of The League Champions coming from outside Glasgow. This would have sounded ridiculous pre-season, but already we have witnessed some surprising results, with both the Glasgow giants looking anything but intimidating and a class above the rest of us.
As always, we have to see where we all stand after playing each other both home and away. There are far too many permutations and scenarios lying ahead.
If the present league table standings are mirrored at the end of January, then I for one might start to believe in the "unthinkable".

Keith_M
30-09-2018, 07:04 PM
One game at a time, guys.

bingo70
30-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Hibs 66/1 to win the league, Hearts 16/1.

Seems a big difference considering we are only 5 points behind them and finished a million points ahead of them last season.

FWIW I think this team needs a big performance and result before anyone will start to believe. We all know a team with SJM, Mcgeouch and Allan could turn anybody in this league over but I think the jury is still out a bit to see if we can do the same with Milligan, Mallan and Hyndman (or a.n other). I know that’s just the midfield I’m talking about however it does feel like there’s been a change of the guards this season and we’re still to really see how good they can be.

bingo70
30-09-2018, 07:06 PM
One game at a time, guys.

*****bag 😉

Nevi_SOL
30-09-2018, 07:06 PM
We could look at the run we have coming up 2 ways; a tough run or a chance to take points of the teams around us. I’ve a feeling Lennon will be choosing the latter

Keith_M
30-09-2018, 07:08 PM
*****bag 😉

And?

:na na:

Fife-Hibee
30-09-2018, 07:14 PM
We should always be pushing for the title anyway, regardless of whether it's deemed realistic or not. It's the only way to finish as high up as possible. I'll never understand teams setting their targets any lower.

jacomo
30-09-2018, 07:15 PM
The surprise teams that win titles, eg. Leicester, Montpellier, never go out to say "lets win a title". With hearts fans going on about winning the title in the way they are, they are sure to crash and burn. Hopefully Hibs will just take every game as it comes, and not get dizzy at the top with delusion.

I think Ranieri waited until April before admitting their ambitions might reach slightly higher than relegation!

The main point the OP makes is a good one though. In a normal season we would expect to be massively outgunned by Celtc. If they are stumbling then we have to make the most of the opportunity.

Dalianwanda
30-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Its up to all the teams to watch how both Celtic and Rangers are being taken down a peg or two by other teams and go for the jugular rather than trying just to stop them scoring!
Taking the game to them seems to trouble them more than I can ever remember, by christmas it could be a really good league, full of challengers, us included!!!!
I’d give my left....

Onion
30-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Wise words. This is still September ?

Pagan Hibernia
30-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Hearts will be hoping we take points off the ugly sisters before the Halloween derby. And the way things are we might well manage it. When was the last top flight Edinburgh Derby when we were the top 2 in the table?

Nutmegged
30-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Can't go folk who say we shouldn't get excited until April/May...a big EFFE AMBROSE to that, if we're playing well and staying among the pack then there's absolutely no reason why we can't get excited, football brings you a vast range of emotions, supporting Hibs will give you more lows than highs so we should enjoy the run we're on and not feel guilty for enjoying it or worrying we'll jinx it.

Brooster
30-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Let's just focus on beating Hamilton Accies first before we get carried away. They pumped us at ER last season remember.

SirDavidsNapper
30-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Club is still soaring on and off the park since 21/5/16. Where does it end? Who knows. If someone had said to me 4 years ago where we would be today I'd have laughed at them. We have an excellent manager and a very, very good group of players.

DC_Hibs
30-09-2018, 08:02 PM
The first half at Dundee and second at Paisley providesnplenty reasons why we will be nowhere close to winning the league.

We will seriously need to up our game to get top 4 and hopefully the midfielder and forward Lennon wanted towards the end of the window will appear in Jan.

1van Sprou7e
30-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Think it's far from guaranteed that Lennon would go back, and that's if they even want him back

BoomtownHibees
30-09-2018, 08:18 PM
The first half at Dundee and second at Paisley providesnplenty reasons why we will be nowhere close to winning the league.

We will seriously need to up our game to get top 4 and hopefully the midfielder and forward Lennon wanted towards the end of the window will appear in Jan.

If the 2 results are anything to go by then we will be right up there

WhileTheChief..
30-09-2018, 08:20 PM
We can’t really laugh at Hearts for thinking they can win it if we do as well?

I think we will be stronger than last season and will finish within 6 points of the top. That in itself would be huge progress.

I think Lennon will be going all out to win the title though, might as well give it a bash.

Lancs Harp
30-09-2018, 08:29 PM
I just wonder how many times Celtic have played their first seven games and only scored seven goals?

SteveHFC
30-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Hearts will start losing games eventually.

hfc rd
30-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Personally take it one game at a time and see where it takes us. If by any stretch of the imagination that we find ourselves in the middle of a title challenge after New Year, then surely the board will do everything in their power and back Lennon in the market and get the players that he wants which could prove to be the difference. Winning the Scottish Cup was the best moment I have had as a Hibs fan but winning the league is something I feel that I would never see with the OF dominance. We do have a very good squad but it could certainly do with an extra addition or two in midfield and up front. Celtic and Rangers look like they have been sussed out by the rest of the league on the approach you need to take in order to beat them. Lennon’s record against both the Ugly Sisters is very good. Hearts will eventually lose games but will definitely be challenging this season alongside ourselves.

This could be an historic season for Scottish football.

Steve20
30-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Nothing suggests they will lose enough to fall away completely though.

HibeeHutch
30-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Reasoning - Our midfield other than Milligan is not quite right and we are struggling to get MacLaren and Kamberi on the pitch together.

LoL. Next season. Not right now. But next season. Deary me.

SMAXXA
30-09-2018, 10:04 PM

I’d disagree with that and go the other way, playing badly and winning games is what’s needed to win a title, not that I think we will win the league bud as long as you get the 3 points performances come second imo

Hibrandenburg
30-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Next season will be too late. Celtic and der Hun will have strengthened their teams and grip on the league again by then.

Hibrandenburg
30-09-2018, 10:13 PM
We could

:agree: But if we do pick up points in those games and somehow manage to widen the gap in the first round of fixtures, then I'll start getting excited.

jacomo
30-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Why so pessimistic? We are 2nd as it stands.

I’ll take this over the slow starts we’ve had in the league in recent seasons.

DetroitHibs
30-09-2018, 10:20 PM
If we'd kept McGinn I'd have fancied our chances of winning the league.

Hi Heid Yin
30-09-2018, 10:29 PM

None of us know with certainty how Hearts season will pan out.
We can surmise, assume, guess, predict all we like...as many did when Leicester City's bright early season form continued and continued and...well, continued.....all the way to clinching a League Title.
We as Hibbies can only "hope" that their flying start comes to a grinding halt and they do indeed suffer inevitable defeats.

Gloucester Hibs
30-09-2018, 10:46 PM
If we’re within touching distance come January I think we’ll definitely have a tilt at it, may be the only chance we get this generation. Would actually be beneficial to still be just behind Hearts at this point, as all the focus would remain on them?

jacomo
30-09-2018, 10:50 PM
None of us know with certainty how Hearts season will pan out.
We can surmise, assume, guess, predict all we like...as many did when Leicester City's bright early season form continued and continued and...well, continued.....all the way to clinching a League Title.
We as Hibbies can only "hope" that their flying start comes to a grinding halt and they do indeed suffer inevitable defeats.

Or indeed Hearts season in the championship.

Hi Heid Yin
30-09-2018, 10:55 PM

Indeed!

Ozyhibby
01-10-2018, 03:10 AM

They are giving away more chances than their goals against total suggests so they will regress a bit but they are a decent team and will be up there. Good thing is, so are we.
We are both coming into some tough fixtures which will give a better indication.
I’m a lot happier we have Milligan now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 06:28 AM
No chance we are winning the SPFL

Our squad is nowhere big enough and is lacking the quality and continuity of last season

There is a lot of football still to be played

We have injuries and suspensions still to come

We have had luck on our side for once in more than one game so far this season that will change

We have still to experience our usual poor run of form and inconsistency

We would have more of a chance if we had added one other midfielder and another experienced attacker in the last window but even then given Celtics resources it is still a big ask.

Top six at best imo.

Lets take it one game at a time

Title party cancelled :wink:

Nicho87
01-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Hearts won’t mount a title challenge and we’re stronger than that lot. Celtic will win the league by 11 points I reckon.

B.H.F.C
01-10-2018, 06:59 AM
IMO we’ll know if there is a possibility of a real title challenge, from outwith the obvious two, by the turn of the year. They both have a lot of games to squeeze in with Europe, semi finals and a potential final as well.

If we can be in touching distance going in to the winter break our form in the second half of last season should give us confidence.

I don’t really think we’ll win the league but I also don’t see us losing too often either.

calumhibee1
01-10-2018, 07:09 AM
IMO we’ll know if there is a possibility of a real title challenge, from outwith the obvious two, by the turn of the year. They both have a lot of games to squeeze in with Europe, semi finals and a potential final as well.

If we can be in touching distance going in to the winter break our form in the second half of last season should give us confidence.

I don’t really think we’ll win the league but I also don’t see us losing too often either.

I don’t think touching distance is required. If anybody is to stand a chance of winning the league ahead of the OF I reckon a fairly substantial gap is needed going into the second half of the season. If somebody could create a gap of 9 points or more than they’d maybe have a chance.

SirDavidsNapper
01-10-2018, 07:18 AM
I don’t think touching distance is required. If anybody is to stand a chance of winning the league ahead of the OF I reckon a fairly substantial gap is needed going into the second half of the season. If somebody could create a gap of 9 points or more than they’d maybe have a chance.

I said the very same thing to my Jambo mate. If they are to stand a chance they need to build up fairly decent gap now as the cream always rises to the top eventually. I still think Aberdeen will be in and around it too for 2nd/3rd despite being 10 pints adrift of Hearts.

matty_f
01-10-2018, 07:18 AM
I think it depends on how big a gap is opened up, the quality of team at the top end of the league is high - my son made a good point in that we were the best team in the league post-January and that wasn't enough for us to overtake second or third, never mind win the league.

Hearts already have a big gap on the Glasgow sides (and us), I don't think they're good enough to win the league and I think this conversation will look different as we head into Christmas and New Year, but you never know - they have momentum and I think it'll come down to how they do against the bigger sides in the league.

Same goes for us, if we can find a way to beat Centric, Hearts, Aberdeen, and Rangers consistently then I think they'll find it hard to overtake us. Stating the obvious really, and it's a huge "if", but we've shown over the last few seasons that we're capable - as have Hearts.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 07:19 AM
One advantage we do have over others outwith Celtic is the fact that Lenny has been over the course and distance before and he knows what is required and has the winning mentality.

He has admitted in a recent interview that in his opinion Celtic will win the League and that he is still searching for his best team formula at HIBS

If we are still in the running come the winter break the board must back him to the hilt if they are to match the ambition of Lenny and the fans.

euro Hibby
01-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Hearts we read, trained really hard over the summer and this might suggest that come winter it will catch up on them and they will start to fade away. That said, they
have a big pool of players and I have not watched them. Like us , they have harder games coming now. Next week Rangers cannot afford to lose to them nor Aberdeen and
then its Hibs up. We are due a win there !

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Hearts we read, trained really hard over the summer and this might suggest that come winter it will catch up on them and they will start to fade away. That said, they
have a big pool of players and I have not watched them. Like us , they have harder games coming now. Next week Rangers cannot afford to lose to them nor Aberdeen and
then its Hibs up. We are due a win there !

We aren't due anything, we need to turn up, fight and most importantly, score goals, to win there. Too often we get "0" at that dump

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 07:42 AM
We aren't due anything, we need to turn up, fight and most importantly, score goals, to win there. Too often we get "0" at that dump
Milligan and Bartley must start :greengrin

EH54
01-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Milligan and Bartley must start :greengrin

Genuinely think we should play both. Need to win the fight first! A Stevie Mallan free kick will give us a 1-0 win there😀.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Genuinely think we should play both. Need to win the fight first! A Stevie Mallan free kick will give us a 1-0 win there😀.
Yip! Lenny always seems to start with the wrong team there and we are left playing catch up need to get this one right. :confused:

Juniper Greens
01-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Yip! Lenny always seems to start with the wrong team there and we are left playing catch up need to get this one right. :confused:

Celtic seem to struggle again CLs Hearts team too, it must be their style of play against the sort of style us/Celtic play is very effective

essexhibee
01-10-2018, 07:57 AM
If Celtic are in any trouble come Jan I’m sure the purse strings will be opened big time.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 08:02 AM
If Celtic are in any trouble come Jan I’m sure the purse strings will be opened big time.
If Celtic are still in trouble come January worst case scenario Brenda will be gone Celtic will come for Lenny and Lenny will come for Flo :shocked:

Nevi_SOL
01-10-2018, 08:17 AM

This is key thing on our side, mallan stepping up for a free kick is the equivalent of having a penalty with his talent and with hearts physical presence he’s bound to have a few chances

egb_hibs
01-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Next season will be too late. Celtic and der Hun will have strengthened their teams and grip on the league again by then.

Correct, this is a generational opportunity - potentially once in a lifetime for many of us. It's both exciting and nerve wracking - how typical that this year of all years, hearts have got spawney with their 'buy em cheap stack em high', while we have just lost 'that' midfield.

Hearts squad size and the number of opportunities they are creating is a genuine concern when compared to Celtic's miserly goals tally and failure to gel - or really look like they're going to. Should hearts win at ibrox then they will have to really implode to let a hot and cold sevco catch them.

While in all likeliehood Celtic will win this, it is also possible that Celtic won't get it together quickly enough to claw back a deficit in a year when the top six all look likely to take points off each other as has not been the case for a long time.

It is thus far from impossible that it could end up on our shoulders to stop them. I think we are stronger than them on the day, but worries remain that we are still prone to failing to convert dominance into goals or that we have sufficient depth to cope with injuries - not to mention an ongoing failure to deliver at the tin castle. Otoh while I can't justify it on paper, my instinct is hearts have had a favourable fixture run, playing bankers at tynecastle who are trickier away - and going to rugby park before Killie were firing.

The likeliest end to hearts charge is they go pop without outside interference, and it is likely that at some point we do also, leaving Celtic to grind their way back. But but but...it is far from guaranteed.

I am reminded of the commentators words as mickey Thomas broke through for arsenal at anfield all those years ago: it's all up for grabs now...

Ozyhibby
01-10-2018, 09:29 AM
This is key thing on our side, mallan stepping up for a free kick is the equivalent of having a penalty with his talent and with hearts physical presence he’s bound to have a few chances

I’d say it’s better than having one of Mallan’s penalties.[emoji6]

Steve-O
01-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Challenge yes, win it, no. I just don’t think there’s enough depth and we’re also up to our old tricks of missing a dozen chances a game.

Gloucester Hibs
01-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Correct, this is a generational opportunity - potentially once in a lifetime for many of us. It's both exciting and nerve wracking - how typical that this year of all years, hearts have got spawney with their 'buy em cheap stack em high', while we have just lost 'that' midfield.

Hearts squad size and the number of opportunities they are creating is a genuine concern when compared to Celtic's miserly goals tally and failure to gel - or really look like they're going to. Should hearts win at ibrox then they will have to really implode to let a hot and cold sevco catch them.

While in all likeliehood Celtic will win this, it is also possible that Celtic won't get it together quickly enough to claw back a deficit in a year when the top six all look likely to take points off each other as has not been the case for a long time.

It is thus far from impossible that it could end up on our shoulders to stop them. I think we are stronger than them on the day, but worries remain that we are still prone to failing to convert dominance into goals or that we have sufficient depth to cope with injuries - not to mention an ongoing failure to deliver at the tin castle. Otoh while I can't justify it on paper, my instinct is hearts have had a favourable fixture run, playing bankers at tynecastle who are trickier away - and going to rugby park before Killie were firing.

The likeliest end to hearts charge is they go pop without outside interference, and it is likely that at some point we do also, leaving Celtic to grind their way back. But but but...it is far from guaranteed.

I am reminded of the commentators words as mickey Thomas broke through for arsenal at anfield all those years ago: it's all up for grabs now...

EGB; once of Hibeesbounce parish?

Nevi_SOL
01-10-2018, 02:43 PM
I’d say it’s better than having one of Mallan’s penalties.[emoji6]

Very true 😂, let’s say a Jamie Maclaren penalty

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2018, 03:09 PM
If Celtic are still in trouble come January worst case scenario Brenda will be gone Celtic will come for Lenny and Lenny will come for Flo :shocked:

Nothing to suggest any of this happens.

WhileTheChief..
01-10-2018, 04:42 PM
I doubt Celtic would want Lennon.

I doubt Lennon would want to go back to Celtic.

I’ve no doubt that Lennon would like Flo at any club he ends up managing in the future!

Keith_M
01-10-2018, 05:26 PM
I said the very same thing to my Jambo mate. If they are to stand a chance they need to build up fairly decent gap now as the cream always rises to the top eventually. I still think Aberdeen will be in and around it too for 2nd/3rd despite being 10 pints adrift of Hearts.

I can think of something else that floats so, by your analogy, they should be OK.

Speedway
01-10-2018, 05:48 PM
I don’t think we should get ideas above our station, we should be realistic and just be happy with what we’ve got, looking to finish 4th or 5th.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2018, 05:54 PM
I don’t think we should get ideas above our station, we should be realistic and just be happy with what we’ve got, looking to finish 4th or 5th.

Really boring at this point

Lancs Harp
01-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Why 4th or 5th out of interest? We obviously want to finish as high up the table as we possibly can and chasing Rantic is always going to be difficult but why should we not be aiming to be the top of the Hibs Aberdeen Hearts and the rest league? Are you saying these clubs are better and bigger than Hibs?

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2018, 05:56 PM

I know you are trying to be a little cute there speedway, but i think while aiming for the top spot, something that with our squad and spending restrictions is unlikely, 4th place would be a great season again.

In fact a few 4th place finishes in a row would then start to give us the platform and bigger budget to then aim a little higher like you want.

Of course there is the Leicester scenario that is mentioned a lot more lately, and we'd all welcome that, but from where we've come from and where we are now, i think regular European qualification through our league position would build on what we've achieved recently.

Speedway
01-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Really boring at this point

Isn’t it!

Speedway
01-10-2018, 06:01 PM
I know you are trying to be a little cute there speedway, but i think while aiming for the top spot, something that with our squad and spending restrictions is unlikely, 4th place would be a great season again.

In fact a few 4th place finishes in a row would then start to give us the platform and bigger budget to then aim a little higher like you want.

Of course there is the Leicester scenario that is mentioned a lot more lately, and we'd all welcome that, but from where we've come from and where we are now, i think regular European qualification through our league position would build on what we've achieved recently.

Consolidating 4th might allow us to build in Europe but if it were combined with the sheep consolidating third then I’m still not keen.

Matty’s point about this time we’re built to be sustainable is interesting if our league finishes back it up.

It would also be the first time in 40 years that we havent slipped back down the table by dismantling the side.

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Consolidating 4th might allow us to build in Europe but if it were combined with the sheep consolidating third then I’m still not keen.

Matty’s point about this time we’re built to be sustainable is interesting if our league finishes back it up.

It would also be the first time in 40 years that we havent slipped back down the table by dismantling the side.

We have had to build nearly half a new team, and Lennon has done that pretty well so far. Of course we will have upsets, but he has brought in players with longer than the 1 year contracts we were getting during our lead up to relegation.

Lennon is planning the future of Hibs, building a team for the future, so far its doing fine and i'd just like some stability.

If that means another 4th place finish and Europe, i'd be over the moon.

jacomo
01-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Why 4th or 5th out of interest? We obviously want to finish as high up the table as we possibly can and chasing Rantic is always going to be difficult but why should we not be aiming to be the top of the Hibs Aberdeen Hearts and the rest league? Are you saying these clubs are better and bigger than Hibs?

Yer Speedway is at it, trying to win some futile argument that only exists in his own head.

Best ignored until he calms down.

Lancs Harp
01-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Yer Speedway is at it, trying to win some futile argument that only exists in his own head.

Best ignored until he calms down.

Have I been "whooshed"? :greengrin sorry didnt realise.

Speedway
01-10-2018, 08:13 PM
We have had to build nearly half a new team, and Lennon has done that pretty well so far. Of course we will have upsets, but he has brought in players with longer than the 1 year contracts we were getting during our lead up to relegation.

Lennon is planning the future of Hibs, building a team for the future, so far its doing fine and i'd just like some stability.

If that means another 4th place finish and Europe, i'd be over the moon.

Once a 2nd year of 4th and Europe had been achieved, would that be stability reached? Would you be looking for improvement from there?

jacomo
01-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Have I been "whooshed"? :greengrin sorry didnt realise.

Sorry, it refers back to the Aberdeen match day thread where Speedway lost his mind over the result and has been arguing his case ever since.

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Once a 2nd year of 4th and Europe had been achieved, would that be stability reached? Would you be looking for improvement from there?

It all depends on many factors, players leaving, manager leaving but another season of Europe should see us stabilise. With more expected money from a European finish, it should give us hopefully more scope to bring in more better players.

I'm pretty sure Aberdeen have been building their side for many years now, and have been making that 2nd spot their own recently. And that was done without being relegated and staying in that bloody division for 3 seasons.

Seems to me you are looking for a quick fix, but in my opinion there is nothing broke.

Speedway
01-10-2018, 08:33 PM
It all depends on many factors, players leaving, manager leaving but another season of Europe should see us stabilise. With more expected money from a European finish, it should give us hopefully more scope to bring in more better players.

I'm pretty sure Aberdeen have been building their side for many years now, and have been making that 2nd spot their own recently. And that was done without being relegated and staying in that bloody division for 3 seasons.

Seems to me you are looking for a quick fix, but in my opinion there is nothing broke.

No quick fix being looked for here but I definitely aspire and am beginning to expect more, than a trophy every ten years or so.

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2018, 08:36 PM
No quick fix being looked for here but I definitely aspire and am beginning to expect more, than a trophy every ten years or so.

What would you do thats affordable to us thats not being done?

Borderhibbie76
01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
No chance we are winning the SPFL

Our squad is nowhere big enough and is lacking the quality and continuity of last season

There is a lot of football still to be played

We have injuries and suspensions still to come

We have had luck on our side for once in more than one game so far this season that will change

We have still to experience our usual poor run of form and inconsistency

We would have more of a chance if we had added one other midfielder and another experienced attacker in the last window but even then given Celtics resources it is still a big ask.

Top six at best imo.

Lets take it one game at a time

Title party cancelled :wink:How negative are you?? And in case you missed it we've had plenty injuries already.

Not saying we have a chance of winning the title but can't believe how negative you are being?? Anyone would think we were currently 2nd bottom not 2nd top??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
01-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Above our station??
That I would expect to come out of the mouth of a deluded Jambo.
Thank goodness we have Neil Lennon as manager and not you.

Gloucester Hibs
02-10-2018, 03:12 AM
The thing with the Leicester analogy is; granted it was a magnificent achievement, but it shouldn’t be underestimated what a big leveller the TV money is in the EPL. Teams are under less pressure to punt their top stars at the first whiff of a decent offer, and players are already on a pretty penny and so less inclined to agitate for a move (though this still goes on). I doubt there is the 10:1 wage bill ratio going on in the EPL between the top sides and the rest that makes challenging Celtic for the league such a huge task in Scotland.

Lancs Harp
02-10-2018, 04:34 AM
The thing with the Leicester analogy is; granted it was a magnificent achievement, but it shouldn’t be underestimated what a big leveller the TV money is in the EPL. Teams are under less pressure to punt their top stars at the first whiff of a decent offer, and players are already on a pretty penny and so less inclined to agitate for a move (though this still goes on). I doubt there is the 10:1 wage bill ratio going on in the EPL between the top sides and the rest that makes challenging Celtic for the league such a huge task in Scotland.

You think so? I would have thought the wage bill ratio between the likes of Burnley say and Manchester City/Chelsea and United is considerably larger than 10:1.

Gloucester Hibs
02-10-2018, 04:45 AM
You think so? I would have thought the wage bill ratio between the likes of Burnley say and Manchester City/Chelsea and United is considerably larger than 10:1.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

About 4:1 going by this. The money sloshing about in the EPL is obscene!

superfurryhibby
02-10-2018, 07:01 AM

That is the nub and our prolific poster who has an answer to almost everything thing in the known universe can’t manage an reply to that question. Empty vessels make the most noise scenario. As we all know, the club has done all it can to compete and all the empty statements in the world make no difference, apart from winding people up.

No matter, I predict a fantastic season, with some excellent football and the usual highs and lows. We are competative and we’ll entertain. Given the Tom Kite I’ve watched at Hibs over the decades, that’s a useful starting point.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 10:56 AM
That is the nub and our prolific poster who has an answer to almost everything thing in the known universe can’t manage an reply to that question. Empty vessels make the most noise scenario. As we all know, the club has done all it can to compete and all the empty statements in the world make no difference, apart from winding people up.

No matter, I predict a fantastic season, with some excellent football and the usual highs and lows. We are competative and we’ll entertain. Given the Tom Kite I’ve watched at Hibs over the decades, that’s a useful starting point.

I'm not sure i agree with you there, but i'm not sticking up for speedway on his stance on this. He may well have ideas on how we can progress, and if so lets hear them.

Under Petrie we were all told he's backing every manager he employed then sacked, the club were building foundations while being relegated, he was in it for the long haul, he even had a 5 year plan, but we never knew anything about the plan?

Dempster has come in and transformed the club since the lows of constant sheite players and constant sheite managers eventually got us relegated, she's put a vision and structure together for the club to rise again and attract better players and managers, which has seen us grow as a club.

Speedway might have more ideas that can help, do you speedway? :dunno:

Speedway
02-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Stick the ball between the posts more often then the opposition in knockout competitions, and especially in games when possession in dominated by us.

Very affordable, not done regularly enough.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Stick the ball between the posts more often then the opposition in knockout competitions, and especially in games when possession in dominated by us.

:greengrin Should be easy enough when Gash is fit. :wink:

Speedway
02-10-2018, 11:14 AM
:greengrin Should be easy enough when Gash is fit. :wink:

Aye, once he’s had 28 matches to get match fit/minutes in the legs/gel with the new team mates/get used to the new system. Our end of season DVD this year will be called ‘Goals, goals, goals’ for sure :)

jacomo
02-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Mind. Blown.

Are you saying, therefore, that in the games where we haven’t done as well as hoped, it’s because the opposition has put the ball in the net on more occasions than us?

In all my years of watching football, I feel like a veil has been lifted from my eyes. For the first time I can see clearly.

I beg you, please send your advice to Lenny and everyone else in a position of authority at Hibs. They need to know.

St Pauli Hibee
02-10-2018, 11:44 AM
I Personally think 3rd would be a great finish

We are to inconsistent in our finishing which has been & will continue to be our downfall i feel going through the rest of this season.

Title challenge will be to much for us, i still expect Celtic to win the league by a decent margin & Rangers to be runners up.

3rd i feel will be between ourselves & Hearts, they have had a great start to the season but i refuse to believe they are any good.

Aberdeen look a shadow of the team they were last season & unless they pick up quite dramatically they will probably finish 5th or 6th this season

One Day Soon
02-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Mind. Blown.

Are you saying, therefore, that in the games where we haven’t done as well as hoped, it’s because the opposition has put the ball in the net on more occasions than us?

In all my years of watching football, I feel like a veil has been lifted from my eyes. For the first time I can see clearly.

I beg you, please send your advice to Lenny and everyone else in a position of authority at Hibs. They need to know.

It's Shankly-esque wisdom.

Speedway
02-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Mind. Blown.

Yet beyond you both and our 11 last week too.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Yet beyond you both and our 11 last week too.

Could it be because we are not where you want us to be yet?

superfurryhibby
02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure i agree with you there, but i'm not sticking up for speedway on his stance on this. He may well have ideas on how we can progress, and if so lets hear them.

Under Petrie we were all told he's backing every manager he employed then sacked, the club were building foundations while being relegated, he was in it for the long haul, he even had a 5 year plan, but we never knew anything about the plan?

Dempster has come in and transformed the club since the lows of constant sheite players and constant sheite managers eventually got us relegated, she's put a vision and structure together for the club to rise again and attract better players and managers, which has seen us grow as a club.

Speedway might have more ideas that can help, do you speedway? :dunno:

In terms of profit and loss, has the club posted an annual profit in recent years, in fact ever?

My sense of it is that we invest as much as is prudent in players. I take your wider point that the club and resources were poorly managed for much of Petrie's last years in charge.

CapitalGreen
02-10-2018, 12:54 PM
How do you go about aiming for any position other than 1st?

The team will go into every league game from now until the end of the season aiming to win. If we win every league game between now and the end of the season we are 1st.

DstN75
02-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I just wonder how many times Celtic have played their first seven games and only scored seven goals?

A really long time. I immediately thought back to 1992 when they came third but they scored seven in their first two games that season! Had a bit more of a look and definitely not since the 80s.

Speedway
02-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Could it be because we are not where you want us to be yet?

Where we should be and where we almost never are.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Where we should be and where we almost never are.

And we get back to how do we get there, or how do we score more of these chances we missed?

SirDavidsNapper
02-10-2018, 01:38 PM
I want us to be a consistent top four side for years to come. We've all too often followed a good season or two by struggling mainly due to losing players and rebuilding. Leeann and the others have done a lot of good work behind the scenes to ensure this doesn't happen. Look at this season... We've lost without doubt our two best and most influential players, three if you include Scott Allan, and we're doing better than we did with them due to outstanding recruitment. There are a lot of smart people at our football club. If and if it's a big if we can mount a challenge for the league it'll be a great bonus.

Speedway
02-10-2018, 02:12 PM
And we get back to how do we get there, or how do we score more of these chances we missed?

That's currently being covered on the other thread :greengrin

PatHead
03-10-2018, 10:45 AM

More like Cathroesque wisdom to me.

Who would have thought that if we took more of our chances we would win games.

So Speedway, how do you resolve this problem? Sign a forward no-one else wants?

Speedway
03-10-2018, 12:22 PM
More like Cathroesque wisdom to me.

Who would have thought that if we took more of our chances we would win games.

So Speedway, how do you resolve this problem? Sign a forward no-one else wants?

No, we did that this summer.