PDA

View Full Version : The new (to me anyway) song about the deceased FTB...

SideBurns
29-09-2018, 08:58 PM
...gonnae gie it a miss lads? The atmosphere today was superb, and inspired by the young crew; the songbook now is better than it's ever been, so why keep alive the memory of the man who tried to kill our club? It's crass in the references to his wife, and I can't believe anyone thinks it is appropriate or inspires the team on the park.

Loved today - the backing given to the team was tremendous, but let's kick that brainless, pathetic chant intae touch. GGTTH.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 09:04 PM
...gonnae gie it a miss lads? The atmosphere today was superb, and inspired by the young crew; the songbook now is better than it's ever been, so why keep alive the memory of the man who tried to kill our club? It's crass in the references to his wife, and I can't believe anyone things it is appropriate or inspires the team on the park.

Loved today - the backing given to the team was tremendous, but let's kick that brainless, pathetic chant intae touch. GGTTH.

Totally agree about the mention of his wife; it's totally unnecessary. I personally don't object to references about he who shall not be named, though I don't partake myself, as his infamy lives beyond him. It's hard to forgive ad forget something like that.

HibeeHibernian4
29-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Not disagreeing with anything you’ve written, problem is that when one person starts it up, somebody else joins in and then you’ve suddenly got 20-30 people singing it. Obviously should just wise up and stop singing it (especially when we’re not even playing Hearts), but I’d suggest the best course of action would be to just start another, more Hibs song and hope it drowns then out.

SideBurns
29-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Totally agree about the mention of his wife; it's totally unnecessary. I personally don't object to references about he who shall not be named, though I don't partake myself, as his infamy lives beyond him. It's hard to forgive ad forget something like that.

I don't forgive or forget either H & A; like you, I lived through it, and the anger and, frankly, hatred was entirely justified. But why would Hibs fans sing about the b###ard?

SideBurns
29-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Not disagreeing with anything you’ve written, problem is that when one person starts it up, somebody else joins in and then you’ve suddenly got 20-30 people singing it. Obviously should just wise up and stop singing it (especially when we’re not even playing Hearts), but I’d suggest the best course of action would be to just start another, more Hibs song and hope it drowns then out.

Aye, you're spot on. To be honest, I'm sure that approach would work as most decent fans would be desperate to drown it out.

Smartie
29-09-2018, 09:11 PM
It was fine to sing about him whilst he was alive, then probably just about OK (under the circumstances) shortly after he'd died.

But now? No, it's classless (although I can't pretend I didn't s****** the first time I heard it).

stoneyburn hibs
29-09-2018, 09:14 PM
I don't forgive or forget either H & A; like you, I lived through it, and the anger and, frankly, hatred was entirely justified. But why would Hibs fans sing about the b###ard?

It's interesting how the young team have it as part of their songbook, given that most if not all wouldn't even have been born.

HibeeHibernian4
29-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Aye, you're spot on. To be honest, I'm sure that approach would work as most decent fans would be desperate to drown it out.

100%, and while I can’t talk for the singing section lot, I’m fairly sure they’d rather be singing Hibs songs themselves, it seemed to be sung a couple of times in the game where there was a slight lull in the action. A Hail Hail or a We are Hibernian FC would probably do the trick.

Gloucester Hibs
29-09-2018, 09:15 PM
It was fine to sing about him whilst he was alive, then probably just about OK (under the circumstances) shortly after he'd died.

But now? No, it's classless (although I can't pretend I didn't s****** the first time I heard it).

Kind of how I was when I first heard it over in Molde. It also gives us little scope to taking the moral high ground when criticising other club’s songbooks?

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 09:16 PM

It's a fair question you pose. I was only a kid at the time, but it was bad. I remember my dad and grandad talking about the possibility we had seen Hibs for the last time, which was frightening. My grandad is no longer with us, but my dad, even to this day, won't mention that guy's name. So it still endures. Not condoning the chants about him, but it runs deep.

madhibby
29-09-2018, 09:17 PM

it’a an increditably tasteless chat and does Hibs fans no credit at all. Consign it to the dustbin where it belongs.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2018, 09:20 PM
I heard a few lines of it before the Livingston game a few weeks ago for the first time. There was only a few guys singing it so I just assumed it was just a drunken song made up that day and that it would die out.

Unfortunately it seems like it's gathered pace since then and it seems to be a favourite of the singing section as I think I've heard it every week since.

I personally think we should stick to singing songs about Hibs, I don't see what relevance Wallace Mercer or his wife have to a game between Hibs and St Mirren.

Babyshamble
29-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Me & mates were in oconnells bar.song was sung all day.disgraceful.as the op says.give it a miss lads & sing hibs songs.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little dittys that got an airing today.

A song about Mrs Mercer always wins a game of snap is a new one belted out today.To the tune of Yellow Submarine.

The Skacel song got a (minor) airing but quickly petered out.

Horgans da is in the "RA" as well apparently.

The forever and ever song (we'll never be mastered, by no orange *******) was sung today as well.

One of the "singing" crew was screaming at Whittaker telling him to get to **** as he waited to come on which prompted angry responses from fans around him which threatened to turn nasty but luckily never.

One was drinking from a bottle of vodka while another got caught by a steward with a bottle of buckfast, he wasn't even chucked out, nor was the boy the stewards caught smoking at the back of the stand either.

Daftys out in force today.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little ditty that got an airing today.

The Skacel song got (minor) airing but quickly petered out.

The forever and ever song (we'll never be mastered, by no o****e *******) was sung today as well.

One of the "singing" crew was screaming at Whittaker telling him to get to **** as he waited to come on which prompted angry responses from fans around him which threatened to turn nasty but luckily never.

One was drinking from a bottle of vodka while another got caught by a steward with a bottle of buckfast, he wasn't even chucked out, nor was the boy the stewards caught smoking at the back of the stand either.

I didn't hear these, mate, but they are one hundred per cent unacceptable.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 09:31 PM

100% were sung and to be fair, only by a select few in the group so luckily they never came to much.

SideBurns
29-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little ditty that got an airing today.

The Skacel song got (minor) airing but quickly petered out.

The forever and ever song (we'll never be mastered, by no o****e *******) was sung today as well.

Following Hibs is great craic HC, but I agree it brings the bams out in full force. Maybe it was ever thus (or at least since the 70s), but life has moved on and I'd hate songs like the one I referred to becoming a regular. I've got to say I didnae hear the others you mention (apart from one
brief "Forever and Ever..") but the atmosphere is brilliant in spite of the tasteless crap, not aided by it.

1van Sprou7e
29-09-2018, 09:35 PM

I know not everyone will agree but I liked the one about stokeseys da tbh

Really no need to sing it about any Irish player we have though...

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 09:35 PM
I'm also not convinced that all those lads are part of the since 1875 group, loads of them didn't have tickets for that section and were stood 2 to a seat and in the stairways most of the game.

I like the singing section and the atmosphere they create but there may be a an element of fans attaching themselves to the group who sing the daft songs.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Definitely heard about somebody's dad being in the 'RA outside the stadium before the game today. I was a bit away so just assumed it was someone just bringing up the old song about Stokes for some reason. Bit sad if we're going to keep hearing this again about Horgan, just because he's Irish.

I absolutely have no time for any songs which refer to Irish politics or The Troubles or any of that nonsense. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hibs as a club and if anyone wants to sing about any of that then I hope they get the hell away from Easter Road or any away ground that we're playing at.

Away to Parkhead and belt out that pish.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Definitely heard about somebody's dad being in the 'RA outside the stadium before the game today. I was a bit away so just assumed it was someone just bringing up the old song about Stokes for some reason. Bit sad if we're going to keep hearing this again about Horgan, just because he's Irish.

I absolutely have no time for any songs which refer to Irish politics or The Troubles or any of that nonsense. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hibs as a club and if anyone wants to sing about any of that then I hope they get the hell away from Easter Road or any away ground that we're playing at.

Words have been changed to Horgans da. It was sung (briefly) during the second half, again by a minority.

Lancs Harp
29-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Totally agree.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Following Hibs is great craic HC, but I agree it brings the bams out in full force. Maybe it was ever thus (or at least since the 70s), but life has moved on and I'd hate songs like the one I referred to becoming a regular. I've got to say I didnae hear the others you mention (apart from one
brief "Forever and Ever..") but the atmosphere is brilliant in spite of the tasteless crap, not aided by it.

As I said the singing section is a good thing, I enjoy the atmosphere they create, especially in small away stands like that one at St Mirren where the acoustics are good. Its a shame a minority sort of spoiled it today.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Yes, that kind of stuff is completely out of order. I know some young laddies will want to seem all 'dangerous' and cool with such chants, and I'm sure they'll grow out of it. Anyone beyond their early twenties singing that is a real riddy. Leave the Irish political songs and sectarianism to the brain dead in the Hearts support.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 10:14 PM
I know not everyone will agree but I liked the one about stokeseys da tbh

Really no need to sing it about any Irish player we have though...

No, that isn't the kind of thing we need. Not only does it have nothing to do with what Hibs is about, but it allows our entire support to be demonised. We aren't the Old Firm or Hearts; Irish paramilitary groups aren't something we need to get involved in. Besides, Northern Ireland has moved on significantly, so why have this stuff at football matches in Scotland in 2018? We can all have our opinions on Irish history and politics, but Hibs games aren't the appropriate forum. I support a united Ireland, though not the PIRA, but, other Hibs fans will have different views and that's okay. Any political/religious chant cannot represent the Hibs fans as a whole, as we are an inclusive club.

spikeymike
29-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little dittys that got an airing today.

A song about Mrs Mercer always wins a game of snap is a new one belted out today.To the tune of Yellow Submarine.

The forever and ever song (we'll never be mastered, by no orange *******) was sung today as well.

That is unfortunately the sum of a lot of the young team... The young guy behind me today called a bogdan a useless ginger pr! ck whittaker even worse.... I've experienced their behaviour at nearly all away games and unfortunately they seem to be adopting the attitude that they are untouchable because they create atmosphere..... I would rather a quiet hibs support than some of the bile (and some sectarian chanting) that seems to occur now😕

Lancs Harp
29-09-2018, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Hermit Crab;5564041]Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little dittys that got an airing today.

Daftys out in force today.[/QUOT

Buckfast is drunk for purely medicinal purposes in West Scotland.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Hermit Crab;5564041]Agree, the mercer song is not something that should be sung at our games, a few other points of note about little dittys that got an airing today.

Daftys out in force today.[/QUOT

Buckfast is drunk for purely medicinal purposes in West Scotland.

I didn't think it was consumed by those from the East of Scotland though. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 10:39 PM
That is unfortunately the sum of a lot of the young team... The young guy behind me today called a bogdan a useless ginger pr! ck whittaker even worse.... I've experienced their behaviour at nearly all away games and unfortunately they seem to be adopting the attitude that they are untouchable because they create atmosphere..... I would rather a quiet hibs support than some of the bile (and some sectarian chanting) that seems to occur now😕

3 clean sheets in a row (penalty shootout excepted). Useless?? :hmmm:

I've been critical of SW in the past I admit but hes been fine the last couple of games hes played in.

They most certainly are not. LD will ban anyone caught doing something the shouldn't be at matches.

The sectarian pish really has to stop. We are much better than that, leave that to the Glasgow erse cheeks.

Deejk107
29-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Aye i'd much rather Easter Road was one of the deadest stadiums in the country too.

green day
29-09-2018, 10:51 PM
He's deid 👍

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 11:00 PM
He's deid 👍

:rolleyes:

Tornadoes70
29-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a bunch of testosterone pumped up lads being a bit boisterous and exuberant. Much worse went on back in the day. Smoking at the back of the shed - wow. Come on guys some of you sound negatively pipe and slippers cardigan wearing old.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

heid the baw
29-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Drop the Mercer stuff. Move on.
No longer relevant to the club, his plan failed, we progressed. Look at us now, safe for generations.
Everyone who played their part in 1990 can take a bow. Everyone who came after can thank us.
If the old guard can move on, there is no justification for the younger ones to sing about that man now.

AFKA5814_Hibs
29-09-2018, 11:13 PM
I hated Mercer as much as any Hibs fan. I was at Easter Road on the day the takeover was announced in June 1990. I was pictured on the front page of the Daily Record outside ER that day protesting and was at the rally at Easter Road and can spot myself in the crowd in pictures that the Evening News often publish, but singing songs about Mercer or his family now, nah. We won the battle, we're still here. We went on to win cups and have beaten his team many times since. Just let it go.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a bunch of testosterone pumped up lads being a bit boisterous and exuberant. Much worse went on back in the day. Smoking at the back of the shed - wow. Come on guys some of you sound negatively pipe and slippers cardigan wearing old.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Couldn't give a **** if they were smoking and drinking but I found it baffling they were not chucked out, the drink is an arrestable offence alone, chuck in the controlled container, (glass bottle), I would know as I've been lifted for it at Dens park back in Feb 2003 and this was outside the ground! That was the day the match got abandoned due to snow. We lost the rearranged fixture 3-0, good old Bobby Williamson, I should have went to the cinema that night...

Tornadoes70
29-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Couldn't give a **** if they were smoking and drinking but I found it baffling they were not chucked out, the drink is an arrestable offence alone, chuck in the controlled container, (glass bottle), I would know as I've been lifted for it at Dens park back in Feb 2003 and this was outside the ground! That was the day the match got abandoned due to snow. We lost the rearranged fixture 3-0, good old Bobby Williamson, I should have went to the cinema that night...

Fair do's mate. You're not pipe and slippers cardigan wearing old. You want folk to be punished in the same way you were.

:greengrin

**** Mercer and his family!

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Babyshamble
29-09-2018, 11:31 PM
He's deid 👍

Go to bed.

Hermit Crab
29-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Go to bed.

One too many? :greengrin :drunk:

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2018, 11:44 PM
The young guy behind me today called a bogdan a useless ginger pr! ck

I can take or leave the Mercer stuff, but see if so-called Hibs fans are starting to get tore into the gingers, that's it. I'll not be back until Leeann's gone or has at least gone ginger.

Hibernia&Alba
29-09-2018, 11:48 PM
One too many? :greengrin :drunk:

Not always. As I said, it isn't easy to forgive and forget: if you sow the seeds, you may reap the whirlwind. It's a divisive issue, but I won't criticise any Hibs fan who disparages him. His wife, on the other hand, should be left well alone. His unique position as someone who tried to kill off Hibs will guarantee his 'special treatment', and there's no point lamenting this reality. If the chants about him die, they will do so naturally, but, in the meantime I won't admonish those who express their disdain.

The Harp Awakes
29-09-2018, 11:58 PM
I take all this as a positive that we're showing zero tolerance to a few p1shed guys singing some distasteful songs. 100% correct.

Lets put this into perspective though, when the Huns have come calling to Easter Road in the past there's been 3500 of them belting out sectarian songs about killing Catholics for 90 minutes. At ibrox there's 50,000 of them belting out the same stuff week in week out. Few in Scotland bat an eyelid over this.

We're right to call out political/offensive songs amongst Hibs fans but we shouldn't die in a ditch over it as it's miniscule, particularly given the open racism/sectarianism which is rife elsewhere.

SideBurns
30-09-2018, 12:38 AM
I hated Mercer as much as any Hibs fan. I was at Easter Road on the day the takeover was announced in June 1990. I was pictured on the front page of the Daily Record outside ER that day protesting and was at the rally at Easter Road and can spot myself in the crowd in pictures that the Evening News often publish, but singing songs about Mercer or his family now, nah. We won the battle, we're still here. We went on to win cups and have beaten his team many times since. Just let it go.

See this is exactly where I am. I can imagine the arrogance and narcissism of the man would mean he would be pleased Hibs fans were still singing about him 28 years after he was defeated, and several years after he died (no idea when that occurred, and don't care either). Fans who sing about him are giving him a relevance he never deserved. Pack it in, and let's crack on with the real Hibs songs.

SRHibs
30-09-2018, 12:39 AM
**** Mercer and his family!

How low can you go? Absolutely dire stuff.

Hibernia&Alba
30-09-2018, 12:48 AM
See this is exactly where I am. I can imagine the arrogance and narcissism of the man would mean he would be pleased Hibs fans were still singing about him 28 years after he was defeated, and several years after he died (no idea when that occurred, and don't care either). Fans who sing about him are giving him a relevance he never deserved. Pack it in, and let's crack on with the real Hibs songs.

Fully agree mate, but such chants will die a natural end. I don't mention him at games, and he will fade away because he doesn't deserve to be remembered. Those who do reference him shouldn't mention his family but, rather, allow his name to naturally fade into obscurity, which he deserves.

Tornadoes70
30-09-2018, 02:25 AM
How low can you go? Absolutely dire stuff.

Not nearly as low as that smug swine thought he could get away with. He knew we were in dire trouble then and thought he'd rub it into us while ingratiating himself into the worst type piggery swine. Step forward Sir Tom who saved us from such pig sty garbage.

I'll go very low in describing Mercer and similar swine but not nearly as low as he went into attempting to rubbing our noses in it. God Bless Sir Tom.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Brizo
30-09-2018, 06:48 AM
I hated Mercer as much as any Hibs fan. I was at Easter Road on the day the takeover was announced in June 1990. I was pictured on the front page of the Daily Record outside ER that day protesting and was at the rally at Easter Road and can spot myself in the crowd in pictures that the Evening News often publish, but singing songs about Mercer or his family now, nah. We won the battle, we're still here. [B]We went on to win cups and have beaten his team many times since. Just let it go.

100% agree.

As others have said testosterone filled young laddies acting like @rses is nothing new. The singing section are primarily about creating an atmosphere while previous generations youths (including my own) were primarily about going swedging so big improvements in the whole football culture thing. However laddies being laddies they will want to be different from the norm and they have chosen to do that by singing, what I and others consider, unacceptable songs.

I find the Mercer stuff unnecessary and distasteful and the fact its being sung by people who weren't alive at the time of the takeover bid just strikes me that's its being sung as much for shock value as anything else. If guys like me who were there at the time have moved on, the youngsters should be able to.

No doubt the Since 1875 crew will be a broad church and no doubt they will be infiltrated by all sorts of our own pond life at away games but they have built up a brilliant repertoire of non offensive / non political Hibs songs to support the team, so its a pity they cant stick to them.

Brooster
30-09-2018, 07:01 AM
The new Mercer song is not the best I have to say. There's was a boy (drunk I pressume) in Caledonia Bowling Club pre match continually singing it on his own whilst banging on the table. Not even his mates were joining in. His choice of course but I prefer some of the catchier Hibs songs doing the rounds at the moment.

Heckys Wheel
30-09-2018, 07:08 AM

Our away support is filled with headcases. So much so that I dont enjoy the away games as much any more.

The abuse some of our players get, the sh*te they sing about. The unrest if we don’t dominate games from the first whistle.

The boy beside me at Livi shouted at Horgan “f*** off back to Ireland ya midget”. He gave Whittaker it even worse.

Different guys yesterday shouting at Agyepong, calling him black this and black that.

Smartie
30-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Our away support is filled with headcases. So much so that I dont enjoy the away games as much any more.

The abuse some of our players get, the sh*te they sing about. The unrest if we don’t dominate games from the first whistle.

The boy beside me at Livi shouted at Horgan “f*** off back to Ireland ya midget”. He gave Whittaker it even worse.

Different guys yesterday shouting at Agyepong, calling him black this and black that.

I think it's just bad luck if you end up next to nutters, and it happens.

I had a great time at Dens last week. It was lively, atmospheric and really quite funny with none of the stuff to which you refer.

SRHibs
30-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Not nearly as low as that smug swine thought he could get away with. He knew we were in dire trouble then and thought he'd rub it into us while ingratiating himself into the worst type piggery swine. Step forward Sir Tom who saved us from such pig sty garbage.

I'll go very low in describing Mercer and similar swine but not nearly as low as he went into attempting to rubbing our noses in it. God Bless Sir Tom.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

And **** his family by association, right?

Hibbyradge
30-09-2018, 10:21 AM
I've never heard it.

I don't want to.

It sounds pointless. It's not as if hearts fans are particularly fond of WM and the words are cutting them emotionally.

They're just looking down at the folk who sing it, and by extension the rest of us, because it's classless, tasteless and reprehensible.

At least, I imagine it is.

Bin it.

tamig
30-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Totally agree. The wife reference is out of order. I love the original song and sing it with gusto.

Keith_M
30-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Anybody doing that is an unacceptable twat, but it doesn't represent the away support. I was sitting at the far end of the stand, and didn't see or hear anything like that, just well behaved Hibbies supporting the team.

The only thing I could complain about was the fact that loads of people were smoking in a confined space and the stewards just ignored it.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2018, 10:51 AM
It's a fair question you pose. I was only a kid at the time, but it was bad. I remember my dad and grandad talking about the possibility we had seen Hibs for the last time, which was frightening. My grandad is no longer with us, but my dad, even to this day, won't mention that guy's name. So it still endures. Not condoning the chants about him, but it runs deep.

I still to this day hate the man, i hated him while he was alive and i still hate him dead, prick.

I have no problems at all with the original song, but agree the new versions i have heard over the years are probably over the top.

HibeeMackenzie
30-09-2018, 11:18 AM
The since 1875 boys were quick to start other chants when the mercer nonsense was being belted out by the idiots who tried to attach themselves to them

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 11:40 AM
I think it's just bad luck if you end up next to nutters, and it happens.

I had a great time at Dens last week. It was lively, atmospheric and really quite funny with none of the stuff to which you refer.

Unfortunately, I was next to the nutters at Dens Park.
Was in the end of the stand nearest the Dunny.
The sad thing is that a lot of the nutters are older guys desperately trying to hold onto their past. Total losers.

Chic Murray
30-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Drop the Mercer stuff. Move on.
No longer relevant to the club, his plan failed, we progressed. Look at us now, safe for generations.
Everyone who played their part in 1990 can take a bow. Everyone who came after can thank us.
If the old guard can move on, there is no justification for the younger ones to sing about that man now.

Don't think so, you had to be there.

I sometimes wonder if the ghost of Maude MacFarlane is telling the youngsters what to do these days. Awfy, awfy clean cut lads.

Diclonius
30-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Regardless of who they are or what they have done, if you sing celebratory songs about a dead man or racist songs at the football you have no right to complain when the OF start their sectarian *****.

It isn't somehow "different" because it's Hibs.

Lendo
30-09-2018, 12:31 PM
No, that isn't the kind of thing we need. Not only does it have nothing to do with what Hibs is about, but it allows our entire support to be demonised. We aren't the Old Firm or Hearts; Irish paramilitary groups aren't something we need to get involved in. Besides, Northern Ireland has moved on significantly, so why have this stuff at football matches in Scotland in 2018? We can all have our opinions on Irish history and politics, but Hibs games aren't the appropriate forum. I support a united Ireland, though not the PIRA, but, other Hibs fans will have different views and that's okay. Any political/religious chant cannot represent the Hibs fans as a whole, as we are an inclusive club.

Great post. 100% agree.

Chic Murray
30-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Regardless of who they are or what they have done, if you sing celebratory songs about a dead man or racist songs at the football you have no right to complain when the OF start their sectarian *****.

It isn't somehow "different" because it's Hibs.

Singing songs about dead men is off the menu now? That's one kick in the teeth for Bertie Mee and Bill Shankly.

Seriously, who makes these rules up?

Edit: not to mention the Famous Five. Hector Nicol is now a non person.

Diclonius
30-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Singing songs about dead men is off the menu now? That's one kick in the teeth for Bertie Mee and Bill Shankly.

Key word being "celebratory", i.e. "celebrating that they're dead".

Hibbyradge
30-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Keith_M
30-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Then how can it hurt them?

It's a genuine attempt to debate how offensive we can be. Does it mean we can no longer sing about Hitler's testicular challenges?

He has perfectly innocent family, who are still alive. One of them is even mentioned in the song. Despite how you or I felt about the man, he was their husband, father, uncle, or whatever.

Would you'd be happy if everybody sung a song celebrating the death of one of your parents?

yonder1875
30-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Pointless chant. So much better songs to sing to cheer the boys on and some people land on this one inside a stadium, honestly don’t get it.

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 02:54 PM
He has perfectly innocent family, who are still alive. One of them is even mentioned in the song. Despite how you or I felt about the man, he was their husband, father, uncle, or whatever.

Would you'd be happy if everybody sung a song celebrating the death of one of your parents?

:aok: It is crass and will be hurtful to living innocent people.
Those who sing it are thoughtless cretins.

Chic Murray
30-09-2018, 03:09 PM
:aok: It is crass and will be hurtful to living innocent people.
Those who sing it are thoughtless cretins.

I tend to agree. But, that's their problem.

Lago
30-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Use to go to 90% of away games and strangely I found hibs hway support was often better than support at ER. Changed days.

Kavinho
30-09-2018, 03:57 PM
So, we basically can't say anything offensive about somebody unless they don't have any living relatives?

I get where your coming from, but can you see where this sort of thing is going?

Sorry, if people want to sing offensive songs, it's their business. Can I just point out that had their relative gotten their way, they wouldn't have had anywhere to sing the song

What next, remove the Maggie Thatcher song from Billy Elliot, or ban Tramp the Dirt Down? When somebody tries to take away your most precious things, how much leeway should history give their families.

Nae class

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 04:01 PM
I tend to agree. But, that's their problem.

One of them started talking to me about this and that - about which I know very little

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 04:09 PM
So, we basically can't say anything offensive about somebody unless they don't have any living relatives?

I get where your coming from, but can you see where this sort of thing is going?

Sorry, if people want to sing offensive songs, it's their business. Can I just point out that had their relative gotten their way, they wouldn't have had anywhere to sing the song

What next, remove the Maggie Thatcher song from Billy Elliot, or ban Tramp the Dirt Down? When somebody tries to take away your most precious things, how much leeway should history give their families.

I bet the speccy bald songsmith hasn't walked the walk yet

where'stheslope
30-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Yes, that kind of stuff is completely out of order. I know some young laddies will want to seem all 'dangerous' and cool with such chants, and I'm sure they'll grow out of it. Anyone beyond their early twenties singing that is a real riddy. Leave the Irish political songs and sectarianism to the brain dead in the Hearts support.

Unfortunately you are missing the point, once someone sings the wrong song, others pick up on it!
The ones that start it maybe grow out of it, but they have taught the next lot the words, and so it carries on!!!
Best just to stop it altogether, and sing about HIBS!!!!!

Mantis Toboggan
30-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Then how can it hurt them?

It's a genuine attempt to debate how offensive we can be. Does it mean we can no longer sing about Hitler's testicular challenges?

Thanks for a beautiful demonstration of Godwins Law.
You must be the most demented poster on here, which is saying something.

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 04:17 PM

:greengrin

Keith_M
30-09-2018, 04:19 PM

:agree:

WoreTheGreen
30-09-2018, 04:19 PM
One of them started talking to me about this and that - about which I know very little

Guy stopped his car and offered me a lift No thanks I stay in a bungalow

Hibernia&Alba
30-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately you are missing the point, once someone sings the wrong song, others pick up on it!
The ones that start it maybe grow out of it, but they have taught the next lot the words, and so it carries on!!!
Best just to stop it altogether, and sing about HIBS!!!!!

I get the point and I fully agree: leave the Irish political songs to the Old Firm and the idiots in the Hearts support, and it goes without saying that sectarianism is a complete no-no and goes against everything Hibs represents. As an inclusive club, there will be a range of views on non-football issues, which is surely a healthy thing. We are a football club, not a cult. When comes to Mercer songs, I don't sing them, as it isn't my thing, though I won't condemn Hibs fans who chant about his legacy, provided they drop the guff about his wife. I have zero respect for him and won't be sanctimonious to others Hibees who rip the pish out someone who tried to kill off our club. Is it tasteful? No. Is it understandable? Yes, in my opinion. Not everything sung at football matches is entirely in good taste, but the Mercer chants aren't sectarian, racist etc; they are a reaction to the actions of an unconscionable individual.

SRHibs
30-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Genuinely laughed out loud when I googled Godwin’s Law.

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Guy stopped his car and offered me a lift No thanks I stay in a bungalow

I rang the bell of this small bed-and breakfast place, whereupon a lady appeared at an outside window. "What do you want?", she asked. "I want to stay here", I replied. "Well, stay there then", she said and closed the window.

Chic Murray
30-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Things are getting a bit too silly, I'm out.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 06:37 AM
For a football club we have more great songs than any other club I know.

It is time to confine the FTB song to the dustbin totally inappropriate and no need !

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2018, 06:41 AM
For a football club we have more great songs than any other club I know.

It is time to confine the FTB song to the dustbin totally inappropriate and no need !

Never. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZvjUXgwJP4

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 06:59 AM
Never. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZvjUXgwJP4

Yip that was inappropriate behaviour as well but given the raw emotion and the FTB still fresh in the memory many would say understandable

Still no need to sing songs about his widow though :confused:

Dashing Bob S
01-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Only thing more boring than those songs are these threads. Daft young clowns will always sing over the top offensive nonsense to bond with their mates and set themselves apart from the world in general; boring middle aged sheep will flock to forums like this in condemnation, forgetting that they too were once daft young clowns.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Only thing more boring than those songs are these threads. Daft young clowns will always sing over the top offensive nonsense to bond with their mates and set themselves apart from the world in general; boring middle aged sheep will flock to forums like this in condemnation, forgetting that they too were once daft young clowns.
Funny, my Mrs always calls me Peter Pan! 😂