PDA

View Full Version : Mark Milligan

HibeeHibernian4
29-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Came on in the second half against Kilmarnock, and we haven’t conceded a goal since. Make of that what you will.

007 Mickey Weir
29-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Thought he was brilliant on Tuesday night. He is the missing link in midfield. Strong DM that can also play a bit

St Pauli Hibee
29-09-2018, 06:35 PM
Looks like a great bit of business by the club, composed on the ball, picks out passes & breaks up the play of the opposition, very good so far

superfurryhibby
29-09-2018, 06:43 PM
I reckon Milligan will prove to have been worth the wait. He is the key man in midfield and will hopefully help Mallan become the player we hope he will be. Given that we’ve had to rebuild what was probably the best midfield in the country, he’s looking like an inspired signing. He’s no doubt gaining match fitness and acclimatising to the pace of our game. Hats off to the guy, so far he’s been very good.

H18 SFR
29-09-2018, 06:51 PM
He strikes me as a man in shape, doesn't look slow etc, this guy could plAy in the SPFL for a good few more years.

nellio
29-09-2018, 06:59 PM
I think he's quality. Great leadership as well.

Hi Heid Yin
29-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Milligan is pure quality - bringing muscle and brain and balance to our still evolving side.

Robbo6-2
29-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Played really well again first half.

Tired a Wee bit second but you would expect that.

Absolute class signing

29-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Came on in the second half against Kilmarnock, and we haven’t conceded a goal since. Make of that what you will.

We were 6 games in a row without a clean sheet (if you include the Killie game before he came on) and since he came on in that game he's played 303 minutes without us conceding a goal. Hopefully not just a coincidence.

Smartie
29-09-2018, 09:01 PM
I was a bit anxious about this season, I thought it was going to be like the season after Latapy left - the dismantling of a good side and whilst some good individual players emerged, it ended up being a transitional period until the golden generation came along.

The early signs are very good that Lennon has managed to do what do few Hibs managers of the past have managed to do - take in a decent transfer fee and actually manage to replace the lost quality.

It will be interesting to see how we fare when we come up against better sides but consecutive away wins and shutouts is something the whole team should be proud of.

Dashing Bob S
29-09-2018, 09:05 PM

The crux of the matter. We were leaking goals because McGinn (work rate) and McGeouch (positioning and anticipation) were off the books and not protecting the defence. Enter Spike and all is good.

Speedway
29-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Best midfield in the division?

Better than the midfield that won the treble?

Milligan on the other hand can mix it and pick a pass too. We sorely needed that.

superfurryhibby
29-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Best midfield in the division?

Better than the midfield that won the treble?

Milligan on the other hand can mix it and pick a pass too. We sorely needed that.

Aye.

Aye.

What other hand?

stoneyburn hibs
29-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Looks exactly what we need , he can play.

I'd like to know the back story of how we signed him.

SMAXXA
29-09-2018, 10:21 PM
Milligan and the boy for hearts seem to be similarly very good. I first seen him and thought he was pish against Inverness but been great every time I’ve seen him since name forgets me

007 Mickey Weir
29-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Milligan and the boy for hearts seem to be similarly very good. I first seen him and thought he was pish against Inverness but been great every time I’ve seen him since name forgets me

Harring?

HibeeHibernian4
29-09-2018, 10:36 PM

I think, and I might be completely wrong here, that Maclaren had a part to play in it.

AFKA5814_Hibs
29-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Said it when he first signed that he would be a top player for Hibs. Great pedigree. Some folk were moaning about signing a 33 year old. Milligan had just played 270 minutes at the World Cup, playing against some of the world's top players and has plenty to prove with this being his first season in Europe. He'll do just fine. :thumbsup:

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 05:51 AM

All I know is that he went to a high paying Middle East club for a million dollars from Melbourne Victory, pissing manager Kevin Muscat off seriously.

A change of coach a few months later and the new guy obviously didn’t fancy him, so he ended up a free agent.

The move to the Middle East was to set up his financial future, not for footballing or lifestyle preferences, as far as lifestyle goes he would have been happy in Oz but he always wanted to play in Europe, but had been denied the opportunity in the past due to vis@ restrictions, mainly.

Oz’s ratings climbed to a level where he could obtain a visa, and it was reported in the media out here that Hibs had approached him but the money on offer was a big problem,so it was more or less dismissed.

Some of us thought it was just an agent fishing in the media, and that Millsy, as he is nicknamed here would surface at an English Championship club or at Holland.....Holland because the current Socceroo manager played a large part of his career there, and could possibly have been offering him advice.

Next thing we hear a few weeks later that he has signed for Hibs...

CLASS OF 72 -73
30-09-2018, 08:00 AM
With what we lost in midfield and the roles they played I did not agree with the signing at the time. How wrong I was-:not worthtop player

greenlex
30-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Possibly this seasons most important signing.

SMAXXA
30-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Harring?

That’s the very one

H18 SFR
30-09-2018, 08:56 AM
All I know is that he went to a high paying Middle East club for a million dollars from Melbourne Victory, pissing manager Kevin Muscat off seriously.

A change of coach a few months later and the new guy obviously didn’t fancy him, so he ended up a free agent.

The move to the Middle East was to set up his financial future, not for footballing or lifestyle preferences, as far as lifestyle goes he would have been happy in Oz but he always wanted to play in Europe, but had been denied the opportunity in the past due to vis@ restrictions, mainly.

Oz’s ratings climbed to a level where he could obtain a visa, and it was reported in the media out here that Hibs had approached him but the money on offer was a big problem,so it was more or less dismissed.

Some of us thought it was just an agent fishing in the media, and that Millsy, as he is nicknamed here would surface at an English Championship club or at Holland.....Holland because the current Socceroo manager played a large part of his career there, and could possibly have been offering him advice.

Are there any more MacLaren's or more importantly Milligan's out there?

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Are there any more MacLaren's or more importantly Milligan's out there?

There is a world class striker, who plays for the national side called Sam Kerr

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time...when there was a feeling that Australian players were automatically assumed to be inferior to Scottish players.

The world is a much smaller place these days, and Hibs are probably an example of a much more open minded system of scouting players now.

Gregor
30-09-2018, 09:09 AM

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time

I recall a story of someone touting Mark Schwarzer to BF and got bumped? Was that one of yours?

H18 SFR
30-09-2018, 09:26 AM

I could bore you to death with long stories about players who were recommended to Hibs, but won’t..mainly going back to Alex Miller’s time...when there was a feeling that Australian players were automatically assumed to be inferior to Scottish players.

The world is a much smaller place these days, and Hibs are probably an example of a much more open minded system of scouting players now.

Do we have an actual scouting network out there or are we relying on research back at East Mains?

Ryan69
30-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Said it when he first signed that he would be a top player for Hibs. Great pedigree. Some folk were moaning about signing a 33 year old. Milligan had just played 270 minutes at the World Cup, playing against some of the world's top players and has plenty to prove with this being his first season in Europe. He'll do just fine. :thumbsup:

You also dont get 70 odd caps for your country if youve not got it. Pretty sure he has captained the Socceroos a few times also.

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 09:31 AM
I recall a story of someone touting Mark Schwarzer to BF and got bumped? Was that one of yours?

Never touted any players.

Recommended a few, even sent tapes...before they became household names, and also circuitously via the late Stewart Brown of the Evening News, who Hibs used as a discreet middle man on occasions

For no reason other than to help the Hibs.

Did get a follow up call about Frank Farina from Stewart on behalf of Hibs, but he’d signed for Bruges by the time they decided to enquire.

Only other one I am aware Hibs made a move for, but were rebuffed at the time because of a falling out between the player and his then manager was Davie Mitchell who was at Chelsea.

His manager wouldn’t play him, but told him if he got a bid for 30 grand he’d let him go.
Alex Miller subsequently put the bid in, but, his manager (Bobby Campbell?) refused to accept it and kept him in the reserves!

I DID have discussions in the Hibs Board room about Mark Schwarzer but it was with agent Bill McMurdo in 1994, when Mark was warming a bench in Germany after just having left Oz the previous year, and had mentioned that he would like to come to the UK.

Mc Murdo said he ‘would get his contact in Germany’ to have a look, but although we exchanged emails he never made an approach.

Fair enough if he didn’t fancy him, but Mark went on to hold and still holds, the record for most EPL appearances by someone from outside the British Isles.

Guess everybody has a story about players Hibs should have signed...but the thinking now when it comes to overseas players is light years away from what it was then.

Which is good.....30 years ago if you said Hibs would have 3 Australians and a couple of Africans in their squad you would have been laughed at.

HH81
30-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Please don't say Shane Smeltz. 😀

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Do we have an actual scouting network out there or are we relying on research back at East Mains?

East Mains as far as I know...but these days video footage allows clubs to see players anywhere I guess.

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 09:35 AM
You also dont get 70 odd caps for your country if youve not got it. Pretty sure he has captained the Socceroos a few times also.

He has.

I just wish Hibs had been able to sign him years ago....but whether its Milligan or Arzani or anyone else...the days of when an Oz player turns up with his boots tucked under his arm and desperate to be signed by anyone...are over.

Forza Fred
30-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Please don't say Shane Smeltz. 😀

Nope, not him.

stoneyburn hibs
30-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks Fred

CMurdoch
30-09-2018, 12:03 PM

There is massive ignorance amongst most people who describe themselves as into football or football supporters.
Most only know about the players and ex players at their club and the high profile players around the world they see on TV.

When i heard we had landed Milligan I was ecstatic with the caveat of his age.
Can't say my level of excitement was shared by many on here.

Whoever, put the deal together played a blinder, plugging a massive hole in our team.
An essential signing who isn't disappointing anyone.