PDA

View Full Version : Hibs captains

Diclonius
27-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Trying to think of all the official (i.e. not temporary) club captains we've had in recent years. I only started properly watching around 2005/06, so my knowledge before then is pretty hazy.

As far as I know it's along the following lines:
??-04: Grant Brebner
04-05: Ian Murray
05-06: Gary Caldwell
06-07: Kevin Thomson
07-09: Rob Jones
09-11: Chris Hogg
11-12: Ian Murray
12-13: James McPake
13-15: Liam Craig
15-now: David Gray

Our captains generally don't seem to last long, either falling out of favour or moving on to a bigger team. Gray's actually our longest serving captain in a number of years. Anyone got any others?

Hiber-nation
27-09-2018, 07:46 PM
I think John O'Neill and Mixu were captains in 2001ish. Sauzee in 2000-01, Shaun Dennis and Yogi in the promotion year. Can't remember if it was Franck in 1999-00, probably Yogi. Yogi in the relegation season.

Prior to that Darren Jackson captained us for a while, Jim Leighton too. Then you're going back to Murdo and 1991-92. Must have been a few others, not sure about actual club captains mind you.

MWHIBBIES
27-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Lewis and Paul have never been official captains but must have over 100 games as captain combined.

Ryan91
27-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Lewis and Paul have never been official captains but must have over 100 games as captain combined.

Ever since our second season in the Championship, I've felt like we've had multiple guys in the team who are all capable captain, Lewis, Paul, Daz and SDG for sure, Fonts when he was here always seemed like he'd make a good captain.

Porteous captains the Scotland U21 side, and looks like a potential future Hibs captain.

We're not short of leaders, that's for sure.

Smartie
27-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Was it not Gordon Hunter for the few years after Murdo?

majorhibs
27-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Was it not Gordon Hunter for the few years after Murdo?

Oh aye, what a player & captain in Geebsie, hard as but a bit fitba tae, Paul Hanlon is in the same mould, Geebsie had countless rantic thugs on his case, with added refs asssistance, but Paul is well on the way to being thereabouts as well. 2 absolute stalwarts!

Hibstrooper
27-09-2018, 09:59 PM

You sure about Hanlon? I thought there was a pre-relegation period where he was made captain, not just temp, but it seemed to affect his form as he was still quite young and he eventually lost it. Might have been just before McPake came on the scene

Stantons Angel
27-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Paul Hanlon was captain for a long time before David Gray.....

you must have been too young to see a "REAL2 Hibs captain in Pat Stanton and of course Sauzee,,,,,,,,,,,, they really woould have died green!

monktonharp
27-09-2018, 10:10 PM
I have always felt that Murdo was the linkpin that drove us on to win the Skol cup. he is my favourite "recent" captain. Stanton, well that is a different era. so I'll leave it at that. the original OP is correct in that we have had a lot of changes.

monktonharp
27-09-2018, 10:21 PM
I also liked big Rob Jones as captain, but did get annoyed once at ER, when one of our players was badly injured and needed attention. Jonesy seemed to take a back seat chatting to our goalie! I'd expect a captain to up there at the coalface of things! speaking to the phisyios, re assuring the injured man etc. I know he could not wave a wand and say that's it , your better but I expect a bit of leadership.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2018, 10:45 PM
I also liked big Rob Jones as captain, but did get annoyed once at ER, when one of our players was badly injured and needed attention. Jonesy seemed to take a back seat chatting to our goalie! I'd expect a captain to up there at the coalface of things! speaking to the phisyios, re assuring the injured man etc. I know he could not wave a wand and say that's it , your better but I expect a bit of leadership.

I can understand why that might be disconcerting!

I would prefer to remember him for his goal versus Hearts in the 1-0 victory SLCQF when we hammered them 80-20 % possession

His opening goal at Hampden versus Killie when he turned away through the sunshine hail sleet rain and snow to greet and celebrate with the Hibees masses in that famous image.

Bursting through the door at the Captains Supper with the League Cup held aloft to the sound of Jones to the tune of Gold from the massed company with a big cheesy grin on his pus lapping up every minute :greengrin

monktonharp
27-09-2018, 11:40 PM
I can understand why that might be disconcerting!

I would prefer to remember him for his goal versus Hearts in the 1-0 victory SLCQF when we hammered them 80-20 % possession

His opening goal at Hampden versus Killie when he turned away through the sunshine hail sleet rain and snow to greet and celebrate with the Hibees masses in that famous image.

Bursting through the door at the Captains Supper with the League Cup held aloft to the sound of Jones to the tune of Gold from the massed company with a big cheesy grin on his pus lapping up every minute :greengrinagree with all of that, but still pissed a bit that he didnae charge up to the ref that night at ER, ! have that photo on my stairway though, of Jones "Storming to Glory" ex Edinburgh Evening News and framed by the current Hibernian Historian TAM, in his former shop in Leith. :wink:

Austinho
28-09-2018, 03:04 AM
Our last two cup wins have seen our captain score on their way to lifting the trophy.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-09-2018, 05:34 AM
Longer time served captains Goram and Rae.

my theory on short lived captaincy was we used the role as a mess to pay out “star players” more than the others without breaking the wage structure.

Diclonius
28-09-2018, 06:11 AM
Paul Hanlon was captain for a long time before David Gray.....

you must have been too young to see a "REAL2 Hibs captain in Pat Stanton and of course Sauzee,,,,,,,,,,,, they really woould have died green!

Hanlon was never officially captain, he deputised quite a few times though.

As for a "real" Hibs captain, I'm happy enough with David Gray. His previous allegiances may be suspect but he's done something none of the others did. :wink:

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2018, 07:03 AM
agree with all of that, but still pissed a bit that he didnae charge up to the ref that night at ER, ! have that photo on my stairway though, of Jones "Storming to Glory" ex Edinburgh Evening News and framed by the current Hibernian Historian TAM, in his former shop in Leith. :wink:

Yeah seem to recall he did that a couple of times he should really be up there consoling the injured player asking the ref to book the opposition player and asking the physio for any feedback from the bench.

The captain that pissed me off was Murdo when he went up for the League Cup 1991/92 instead of passing the trophy back to the lads he simply walked down the stairs with it. :confused:

we are hibs
28-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Our last two cup wins have seen our captain score on their way to lifting the trophy.

Both bald and both scored headers too :greengrin:

WeeRussell
28-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Both bald and both scored headers too :greengrin:

Both hugely important bald headers they were too :agree:

Seveno
28-09-2018, 02:25 PM
My favourite ever player was Pat Stanton.

My favourite ever captain is Sir David Gray. :hibees

Renfrew_Hibby
28-09-2018, 03:44 PM
I think we need more baldies in our team