PDA

View Full Version : Is Mallan shaping up to be the new McGeouch?

matty_f
26-09-2018, 01:30 PM
I thought Mallan had his best game yet for us last night, and some of his play was very reminiscent of McGeouch's style.

I think with a bit of time and more games under his belt, Stevie Mallan will prove to be every bit as good as McGeouch - but with the added bonus of goals.

He needs to strenthen up a bit, but last night was probably the most physical I've seen Mallan and that was against a bigger midfield than we have. I have been really encouraged with the progress that Mallan is making, he's getting better game by game. Being honest, I thought he was good for set-pieces but wasn't sure what else he was bringing to the team initially, but I can see how good a player he can be on the basis of his last few games.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 01:33 PM
I thought Mallan had his best game yet for us last night, and some of his play was very reminiscent of McGeouch's style.

I think with a bit of time and more games under his belt, Stevie Mallan will prove to be every bit as good as McGeouch - but with the added bonus of goals.

He needs to strenthen up a bit, but last night was probably the most physical I've seen Mallan and that was against a bigger midfield than we have. I have been really encouraged with the progress that Mallan is making, he's getting better game by game. Being honest, I thought he was good for set-pieces but wasn't sure what else he was bringing to the team initially, but I can see how good a player he can be on the basis of his last few games.

His performance against Livingston left me really concerned about the physical aspects of his game. He was much better in that regard last night though.

Lancs Harp
26-09-2018, 01:36 PM
His performance against Livingston left me really concerned about the physical aspects of his game. He was much better in that regard last night though.

I think having Milligan in the side will bring the best out of Mallan, gives him more freedom in an attacking sense.

Heisenberg
26-09-2018, 01:45 PM

There was a point where he muscled Dominic Ball out the way and got us possession back. Never thought he had that in him but was mightily impressed last night. Shame he never really got a shooting chance within range.

matty_f
26-09-2018, 01:48 PM
There was a point where he muscled Dominic Ball out the way and got us possession back. Never thought he had that in him but was mightily impressed last night. Shame he never really got a shooting chance within range.

He used his strength well last night. :agree:

I just thought the way he got about the pitch and the areas he was playing in were very reminiscent of McGeouch's style. Probably unfair to compare them, but I liked what I saw from Mallan last night.

Stokesy's on fire
26-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Mallan is shaping up to be oor Becks! :wink:

GreenOnions
26-09-2018, 02:20 PM
He used his strength well last night. :agree:

I just thought the way he got about the pitch and the areas he was playing in were very reminiscent of McGeouch's style. Probably unfair to compare them, but I liked what I saw from Mallan last night.

I was thinking the exact same thing

EH54
26-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Boys a fantastic footballer, just wish we could get him in and around the box more often, he could very well end up our top goal scorer!

Hi Heid Yin
26-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Mallan is a quality player who has started to replicate aspects of McGeouch's play, and is streets ahead of him in terms of a goal threat.
Combine McGeouchs game with "goals" and we have, potentially, a "Better Player" on our hands.

Inconsequential
26-09-2018, 02:42 PM
There was a point where he muscled Dominic Ball out the way and got us possession back. Never thought he had that in him but was mightily impressed last night. Shame he never really got a shooting chance within range. He got a chance from twelve yards! Unfortunately we all know what happened and it's ironic our free kick and long range goalscorer failed with his kick. Sums up the night where Hibs were superb and dominated the second best team in the country. Let's not dwell on a fluke result we have nothing to fear in the league.

Dancehibs
26-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Not for me. Dylan far superior. Made us tick . Took it in tight areas. Good drive past a man. In open play Mallan is average, can’t drop a shoulder and get away or has his the physical strength to hold the man off. Poor without the ball.

He has other qualities but nothing like Dylan

ancient hibee
26-09-2018, 03:43 PM
His qualities will win us a lot of games.Some of the midfield one touch football was excellent and there was another midfield sitting on the bench.

K.Marx
26-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Was linking up nicely with kamberi and played a couple of lovely balls over the top for Boyle. I think after a season of working with Lennon he’ll be a top, top player

The_Horde
26-09-2018, 03:47 PM
He's probably more energetic and box to box than Dylan. I'd say his style is similar to someone like Liam Craig. Except obviously better.

He's already improved since pre season in a few aspects of his play. Promising.

Dancehibs
26-09-2018, 03:49 PM
He's probably more energetic and box to box than Dylan. I'd say his style is similar to someone like Liam Craig. Except obviously better.

He's already improved since pre season in a few aspects of his play. Promising.

He’s slow and can’t track back . He’s a last third player for me. Popping off shots etc. He has good range of passing.

superfurryhibby
26-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Very good performance from Mallan last night. He battled and worked hard throughout, made some excellent passes and linked very well with the guys around him. He was competing against some very physical players and did very well. Lets hope he continues to progress, he offers something different fron What we’ve had in midfield in recent years.

The_Horde
26-09-2018, 03:57 PM
He’s slow and can’t track back . He’s a last third player for me. Popping off shots etc. He has good range of passing.

If that's what you really think I'll encourage you to watch the game again. He rarely missed a pass and put himself about too. Closing down quickly on several occasions to stop attacks.

Dancehibs
26-09-2018, 03:59 PM
If that's what you really think I'll encourage you to watch the game again. He rarely missed a pass and put himself about too. Closing down quickly on several occasions to stop attacks.

I’ll pass thanks.

makaveli1875
26-09-2018, 04:00 PM
i thought of Dylan as i watched him last night , not quite as classy on the ball but makes up for it with his thunderous shot and seems alot fitter and more robust than McGeough

The_Horde
26-09-2018, 04:01 PM
I’ll pass thanks.

S****bag if you dinny imo.

matty_f
26-09-2018, 04:02 PM
S****bag if you dinny imo.

:hilarious

CMurdoch
26-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Mallan's: Strengths - shooting, free kicks, passing Weakness - slow about the pitch
McGeoch: Strengths - the ability to keep the ball away from the opponent who could never quite reach it, passing Weaknesses - shooting

Lennon will force Mallan to keep improving the athletic, strength and stamina parts of his game. I think he is already working harder on the pitch.

Lee Marvin
26-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Not for me. Dylan far superior. Made us tick . Took it in tight areas. Good drive past a man. In open play Mallan is average, can’t drop a shoulder and get away or has his the physical strength to hold the man off. Poor without the ball.

He has other qualities but nothing like Dylan

It's a shame you didn't see the game last night, you would think differently

jacomo
26-09-2018, 04:26 PM

:agree:

He’s more like a replacement for Scotty Allan imo.

Dylan did much more for us defensively.

Lancs Harp
26-09-2018, 04:27 PM
:agree:

He’s more like a replacement for Scotty Allan imo.

Dylan did much more for us defensively.

I would agree with that.

Dylan was a lot more deep lying.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2018, 04:33 PM
I would agree with that.

Dylan was a lot more deep lying.

Dylan started his career as an attacking wide player
Mallon has and will score a lot more goals than Dylan ever will

J-C
26-09-2018, 04:34 PM

You think Dylan was quick about the pitch, he wasn't, Mallan like Dylan uses his brains and technique to gain space and create openings, it's what good players do.

Lancs Harp
26-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Just out of interest has Dylan had any game time at Sunderland yet? Is he still injured? Not heard anything.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Just out of interest has Dylan had any game time at Sunderland yet? Is he still injured? Not heard anything.

Played 90 mins for them on saturday

jacomo
26-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Dylan started his career as an attacking wide player
Mallon has and will score a lot more goals than Dylan ever will

He did. Stubbs thought he could play more centrally.

I’d love to see Mallan develop into a more complete midfielder of course but he doesn’t have the defensive qualities yet it seems.

CMurdoch
26-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Has come back from injury and is playing again.
He splits opinions on their fans forums.
Think he will be fine in the long run so long as injuries don't become an issue.

Borderhibbie76
26-09-2018, 05:11 PM
I’ll pass thanks.You were clearly watching a different match from the rest of us last night ..Mallan was excellent both defending and creating

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk