PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 250918)

Jonnyboy
25-09-2018, 11:48 PM
I’ve never been mugged but I would imagine that’s how the Hibs players feel tonight after losing out in the cruellest fashion to an Aberdeen side that was allowed to foul its way through 120 minutes of football. I’m not going to blame referee Steven McLean for our defeat as poor decision making and a profligacy of missed chances were the reason we lost but his performance tonight was the worst I’ve seen from a top referee in many a year. The Dons, as seems to be their style these days, committed foul after foul with the likes of Shinnie and McKenna getting away with murder whilst Hyndman was booked for his only real challenge of the game and Mallan was booked for contesting a 50/50 ball with Cosgrove. Ineptitude doesn’t cover it in terms of my assessment of his performance and had he applied the rules correctly there is every chance Aberdeen might have had to play a large portion of the game with only ten men. Shinnie, on three occasions for example, tripped a Hibs man as he raced clear only for McLean to award the foul but no yellow card.

Personnel wise, David Gray hadn’t recovered enough to make the team and so Hibs went with three at the back in and Hanlon whilst Horgan and Slivka were on the bench with Shaw and Hyndman in the starting eleven.

As I’ve said, the referee didn’t lose us the game as chance after chance was squandered, starting early on when Kamberi shot wide the goal empty. Up until then, Aberdeen had been in with a shout as an early goalmouth scramble saw Hibs manage to clear the danger and later, Ball’s free kick struck the crossbar. In truth though, the Dons offered very little in an attacking sense whilst Hibs contrived to miss chance after chance and had a goal chalked off when Boyle was adjudged to have handled the ball prior to slotting the ball under the advancing Lewis. Boyle again, Kamberi and Hyndman missed good opportunities in rushing attempts when a touch of composure might have helped. Even when a shot did land on target the giant that is Joe Lewis pulled off excellent saves to keep his side in the game. Quite how we reached half time without having a comfortable lead is baffling to say the least. Aberdeen could have had no complaint had they gone in 4-0 down.

Two more shots from Hyndman resulted in a near miss and a good save and then Kamberi brilliantly turned Devlin before racing towards goal. The striker decided to shoot and the ball sailed over the bar when a square pass would have found both Shaw and Boyle in space. Boyle again had the ball in the net but was adjudged offside before Shaw broke free but screwed his shot wide of the post. The last few minutes of normal time were extremely tense but to Hibs’ credit they kept looking for that elusive goal. It didn’t arrive and so we moved into extra time.

At this point, Hibs replaced a struggling Paul Hanlon and a very tired Hyndman with Bartley and Agyepong meaning that Milligan slotted into the back three and Agyepong slipped in behind the two strikers. Perhaps unsurprisingly the pace of the game dropped but it was still Hibs on the front foot with Agyepong looking lively. A near thing saw Whittaker, who had replaced an exhausted Kamberi, head for goal but with Lewis beaten the ball struck a Dons defender and spun away for a corner. Aberdeen then had a couple of chances on the break but both May and McGinn were wild with their efforts. Deadlock meant penalties and Aberdeen won the right to take theirs first. The kicks were at the South Stand end and so the sizeable and noisy Dons support had a grandstand view.

Mallan took the first penalty for Hibs and it was saved by Lewis who must present a daunting sight when faced. The fact that he was a couple of yards off his line when Mallan struck the ball seemed to elude the attentions of McLean and the assistant standing in the position to ensure such a thing doesn’t happen. The Dons were in the driving seat until Bogdan made a fine stop from McGinn’s effort and after five apiece it was sudden death. Sadly, Hibs lost out when young Thomas Agyepong saw his effort strike the underside of the bar and bounce out.

That was a sore one to take and I’m gutted we lost out whilst at the same time having immense pride in our players and the fact that they stood up to the bullying and simply kept trying to create opportunities to score. I heard the after match interviews and thought McInnes was quite honest in his summing up – especially when he said his final substitution was made with penalties in mind. When the lad Anderson came on there was still six or seven minutes to go. Inadvertently, McInnes had admitted they were playing for penalties as they’d been practicing them the day before. To be honest, even half way through the second half of normal time it was obvious Aberdeen were looking for a draw.

The players

Adam – The fact that he had little to do until the penalties doesn’t deter me from saying that the laddie is growing in confidence week on week. To have a keeper that confidently comes and collects high balls into the box is a real bonus in my view.

Efe – I gave Efe my man of the match for the Dundee game and despite the fact that he had a few close contenders tonight I can’t bring myself not to award it to him again. He was immense throughout and his timing in the tackle was absolutely spot on.

Ryan – The big lad has a few rough edges but he’s honing them nicely with each game that passes. His handling of the very physical Sam Cosgrove was mightily impressive.

Paul – Got the man of the match at the stadium and I can see why as he played a good captain’s part but as he missed extra time he left the door open for Efe.

Boyler – Martin twice had the ball in the net but neither counted. On two other occasions he elected to shoot when a cut back may have produced a better outcome but what I absolutely loved about him tonight was that no matter how many times he was fouled, and that was many, he just got up and got on with it.

Emerson – This was by far and away his best performance in green and white. I thought he was fantastic tonight and played a few passes that Scott Allan would have been proud of. Added to that his work rate was excellent and he got stuck in when needed. Was close to Efe in my thoughts for man of the match but like Paul, never managed the full 120.

Milligan – The more I see of Mark Milligan the more I think we’ve got a cracking player on our hands. He played the holding role to perfection and was always on hand when needed. Also talks his way through the game and the younger players will certainly learn from his experience.

Stevie – Flitted in and out a bit his ‘in’ bits were very good with intelligent use of the ball. I was very pleased to see him mix it physically as up until now I’ve felt he’s backed away from challenges on occasion.

Lewis – Whether the arrival of the new man has any bearing or not, I don’t know, but the wee fella was magnificent tonight with Mackay Steven once again getting no change out of him. Oh and boy, did he thrash that penalty home.

Flo – Had he scored with that early chance he and we’d be looking forward to a trip to Hampden I am sure. Had a couple of other chances and elected to shoot when a square pass or cut back might have reaped rewards but it’s hard to criticise a striker for having a shot at goal.

Oli – A strange striking partnership but I thought Oli did well enough. Still lacks a bit of physicality but he’s young and it will come.

Marv – The fans just love Marv and I reckon the feeling is mutual. Played his part in stifling Aberdeen in the middle of the park and frightened himself silly when he turned up in the Aberdeen box with the goals in sight.

Wee Tommy – This lad will trouble defences of that I’ve no doubt. I felt heart sorry for him when his penalty struck the bar but I’m sure he’d know he was forgiven when Lewis rushed forward to put an arm around his shoulder.

Whitty – Only got fifteen minutes and came oh so close to scoring what would probably have been the winning goal. I wonder how those Hibs ‘fans’ I heard booing his arrival onto the pitch would have dealt with that.

The ref – I’ve said my piece but even after having calmed down whilst writing this I’m still disgusted with him.

Lenny – His team did him proud tonight in that they played the game the way it should be played. Hibs were by far the better team and even McInnes hinted at that in his interview. I’m sure some will say ‘why proud when they lost’ but I’m sorry, I’m cut from a different cloth.

The fans – I don’t know what the attendance was but in the main we got right behind the team whilst the Since1875 folks were heard loud and clear.

ehf
25-09-2018, 11:56 PM
:agree:

It would have been academic if we had taken one of our many chances, but the officiating was a disgrace. What hope is there for the future of the beautiful game if thugs like Shinnie are free to wipe out genuine talents like Agpeyong and Boyle with complete impunity?

SRHibs
26-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Slivka also came on alongside Whittaker. Thought he looked bright, but never got enough of the ball.

Good write up!

Ich liebe Deek
26-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Good assessment that I agree with.Thought Milligan’s legs had gone but he stepped back into defense and saw out the game well.Reckon he’s gonna be a great addition.Far too profligate in front of goal is the only complaint and it cost us the tie.We were streets ahead of the sheep in terms of quality and aggression.Dont think we can be too downbeat if this is the level of performance we produce in the coming league games.Very well played Hibs just not our night.

Jonnyboy
26-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Slivka also came on alongside Whittaker. Thought he looked bright, but never got enough off the ball.

Good write up!

Ache I missed Slivka out. Tired and disappointed (me, not Sliv) 😂

Bostonhibby
26-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Decent summary of what I witnessed on TV, thanks :aok:

Here's my succinct summary:- MUGGED.

Onward and upwards.

Hibbyradge
26-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Mallan was lucky he only got booked, John.

He didn't get near to the ball and went studs in on Cosgrove's knee.

I watched on TV and I had only one complaint about the referee and that was for not booking Shinnie for his cynical trip on Agyepong towards the end.

Jonnyboy
26-09-2018, 08:54 AM

I watched on TV and I had only one complaint about the referee and that was for not booking Shinnie for his cynical trip on Agyepong towards the end.

Fair do’s Dave, I only witnessed it live and from the angle I had it just looked like two players contesting a loose ball. Can’t agree about McLean though as I thought he let the Dons away with murder.

Bostonhibby
26-09-2018, 09:02 AM
Fair do’s Dave, I only witnessed it live and from the angle I had it just looked like two players contesting a loose ball. Can’t agree about McLean though as I thought he let the Dons away with murder.

To be honest, if Mallan had walked I'd have struggled to put up an argument, I do feel that Aberdeen are copying the Hearts model of breaking up the play with some pretty blatant fouling then keeping it up once they have the measure of the ref, that's not what cost us the game though. Chances not taken did, strangely there were a lot of positives in the performance, Ambrose excellent, Milligan is a player, Bogdan rock solid, Hyndman turned up,Marv did what Marv does... I could go on.

Hibbyradge
26-09-2018, 09:04 AM

It's peculiar because at times, I thought he was being very kind to us.

I rarely watch the full game after I've seen it live, but I think doing so would lend a different perspective.

Boyle could have had a yellow for the deliberate hand ball, Lewis was also lucky to escape a sanction and Aberdeen were pulled up for an offside that was a yard on.

He was lenient with Shinnie as I said, but other than that, and the above incidents, he was generally fine.

I know you're not suggesting it was, but it's worth reiterating that it wasn't the ref that beat us.

Spooky
26-09-2018, 09:12 AM

In addition to Shinnies tackle on Agyepong, the ref had a quick look at his "book" and must have realised another blatant foul by Shinnie and booking, he would have had to send him off (second booking). So he put his "book away. Doh!

Hibbyradge
26-09-2018, 09:14 AM
In addition to Shinnies tackle on Agyepong, the ref had a quick look at his "book" and must have realised another blatant foul by Shinnie and booking, he would have had to send him off (second booking). So he put his "book away. Doh!

I saw that. He'll have to explain that to the observer.

I don't understand how he can justify it.

Greenbeard
26-09-2018, 09:57 AM
It's peculiar because at times, I thought he was being very kind to us.

I rarely watch the full game after I've seen it live, but I think doing so would lend a different perspective.

Boyle could have had a yellow for the deliberate hand ball, Lewis was also lucky to escape a sanction and Aberdeen were pulled up for an offside that was a yard on.

He was lenient with Shinnie as I said, but other than that, and the above incidents, he was generally fine.

I know you're not suggesting it was, but it's worth reiterating that it wasn't the ref that beat us.
Marv also very lucky to avoid yellow with a late one - studs on the ankle of wimpy kid GMS.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Agree with your write up John. Thought Efe was fantastic, sort of player you pay money to watch
A special word from me on Hyndman, thought he put in a cracking performance, lots more to come from this boy while we still have him

Reminded me of how Liam Miller used to play. Anyone agree?

Hermit Crab
26-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Efe a stick on MOTM last night, not sure why the sponsors didn't give it to him.

Jonnyboy
26-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Efe a stick on MOTM last night, not sure why the sponsors didn't give it to him.

It was one of the mascots that made Paul MotM, G

Hermit Crab
26-09-2018, 03:03 PM
It was one of the mascots that made Paul MotM, G

Needs sacked then. Shocking decision. :greengrin

Lancs Harp
26-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Needs sacked then. Shocking decision. :greengrin

Neede a signed Paul Hanlon shirt for his collection, already had an Efe one :wink:

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Unbelievable as this may sound Shinnie never got booked last night! :confused:

Hibbyradge
26-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Marv also very lucky to avoid yellow with a late one - studs on the ankle of wimpy kid GMS.

Yes, I forgot about that one.

Sammy7nil
27-09-2018, 11:19 AM
Johnnyboy, I always enjoy reading your report but seldom comment I suppose there will be many like me.
I just wanted to say keep up the great work. :aok:

WhileTheChief..
27-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Another cracking game but the focus is all on the ref?

Refs, refs, refs. It’s all anyone wants to talk / moan about these days.

If that’s the worst ref you’ve seen in years then you’ve been lucky in the games you’ve chosen to watch.

Jonnyboy
27-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Another cracking game but the focus is all on the ref?

Refs, refs, refs. It’s all anyone wants to talk / moan about these days.

If that’s the worst ref you’ve seen in years then you’ve been lucky in the games you’ve chosen to watch.

I watch every game so made a judgement and offered my opinion.

JimBHibees
27-09-2018, 03:13 PM

And your very accurate and comprehensive reports are greatly valued by most. :thumbsup:

Always an excellent read whether been at the game or not. Keep up the good work.

WhileTheChief..
27-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Absolutely no problem with that at all, it’s what we all do here after all!

The worst refs performance you’ve seen in many a year though? Seems harsh, but fair dos.

Jonnyboy
27-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Absolutely no problem with that at all, it’s what we all do here after all!

The worst refs performance you’ve seen in many a year though? Seems harsh, but fair dos.

I thought he had a shocker to be honest 😂

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Ref bottled it big time How Aberdeen finished with eleven on the park
is beyond me

Famous Fiver
27-09-2018, 05:57 PM
If Shinnie repeats his Easter Road antics against der Hun he will be off in the first 15 minutes.

Cheat and hammer thrower of the highest order.

Billy Whizz
27-09-2018, 06:53 PM
I thought he had a shocker to be honest 😂

He did, and I’m sure he knows it too