PDA

View Full Version : 5 Observations from Tonight

The Harp Awakes
25-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Hibs are a very good team.

If Hibs improve their finishing we are going to murder quite a few teams in the league.

Niall McGinn and Stevie May are finished.

Aberdeen are a big physical team who are hard to beat but apart from Shinnie they have mostly ordinary players.

Hibs will finish above Aberdeen in the league.

Carheenlea
25-09-2018, 10:54 PM
If we can finish above Kilmarnock in the league, we’ll be finishing above Aberdeen.

BegbieHSC
25-09-2018, 10:59 PM

If Hibs improve their finishing we are going to murder quite a few teams in the league.

Aberdeen are a big physical team who are hard to beat but apart from Shinnie they have mostly ordinary players.

This!

Shame we’re out of the League Cup, but Im confident we’ll do well this season. Get our strikers fit, and we will murder teams. You honestly never know with the league, but I hope we’re targeting the late stages of the Scottish at least.

Hermit Crab
25-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Another observation. Shaw may well have blown his chances tonight. Could have had a hatrick in normal time.

bodhibs
25-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Totally, agree with all your points, well said. All this 2nd for 4 years in a row pash is doing my nut. With the huns,hertz and ourselves out the league for the majority of those seasons they should be finishing 2nd. McInnes is vastly overrated

bigwheel
25-09-2018, 11:13 PM

Fair summary for me...

An observation I would add is that Lennon/Parker almost always get their tactics and formations spot on, only a handful of exceptions...start of game and changes during it...Their level of knowledge and experience shines through . As good a managerial team as we have had imo.

wookie70
25-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Fair summary for me...

An observation I would add is that Lennon/Parker almost always get their tactics and formations spot on, only a handful of exceptions...start of game and changes during it...Their level of knowledge and experience shines through . As good a managerial team as we have had imo.
We are out the cup again to Aberdeen. We are a striker short and no substitutions may have cost us that tie. They did set out a team that had the better of the game but it was a losing one

Ryan69
26-09-2018, 05:09 AM
Another observation. Shaw may well have blown his chances tonight. Could have had a hatrick in normal time.

Due to the lack of signing another striker...He will get a few cracks at the whip.

Good young player anyway.

Dancehibs
26-09-2018, 05:23 AM

For rest of his career? Flo missed sistters . He did the same at Dundee.

we are hibs
26-09-2018, 05:29 AM

The fact he didn't take a penalty within the first 5 tells a lot tbh. If kamberi is out then we are relying on a forward who doesn't fancy himself with a free shot one on one from 12 yards out.

lyonhibs
26-09-2018, 05:55 AM
The fact he didn't take a penalty within the first 5 tells a lot tbh. If kamberi is out then we are relying on a forward who doesn't fancy himself with a free shot one on one from 12 yards out.

And then pinged away an extra high pressure one when it was his turn??

Some folk will take any situation to be a sign of why Shaw "isn't up to it" I guess.....:confused:

we are hibs
26-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Some folk will take any situation to be a sign of why Shaw "isn't up to it" I guess.....:confused:

Well I mean I'm not but you carry on thinking you know best. What I said was it's strange that a striker isn't taking a penalty within the first 5. Someone who is more used to scoring goals than Lewis Stevenson who took one before him. Tells you a lot about his confidence if he doesn't fancy his chances of an open goal from 12 yards out.

Salisbury Hibby
26-09-2018, 06:33 AM
Well I mean I'm not but you carry on thinking you know best. What I said was it's strange that a striker isn't taking a penalty within the first 5. Someone who is more used to scoring goals than Lewis Stevenson who took one before him. Tells you a lot about his confidence if he doesn't fancy his chances of an open goal from 12 yards out.I think you're basing this on assumptions. You don't know how or why the penalty takers were chosen.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Heckys Wheel
26-09-2018, 06:38 AM
Well I mean I'm not but you carry on thinking you know best. What I said was it's strange that a striker isn't taking a penalty within the first 5. Someone who is more used to scoring goals than Lewis Stevenson who took one before him. Tells you a lot about his confidence if he doesn't fancy his chances of an open goal from 12 yards out.

Simplifying it to “doesn’t fancy his chances from 12 yards out” doesn’t help. Probably felt a bit low in confidence after the game he’d had which was understandable.

It’s not really the done thing to criticize young players that have came through the system but I fully expect Shaw to be playing at a lower level in a couple of years time.

The club obviously took the decision that we didn’t need another striker because Ollie has broken through. If he was the new signing we were all after we’d be very disappointed.

Argylehibby
26-09-2018, 06:38 AM

Remember the shoot out at Hampden against Rangers that we won. A guy caked Riordan didn't take one that night and he wasn't a bad player was he?

theonlywayisup
26-09-2018, 06:40 AM

All of the above and............

Milligan, Hydeman and Ambrose played very well. Best I've seen of all these three.

Kamberi is a class act until he tired at the end.

Shaw, think we're asking too much for him to start big games such as this. He would have been better coming on for Kamberi.

Hanlon and Porteous strolled it at the back. Bogdan looked solid.

Aberdeen - they typified everything that's wrong with Scottish football. Zero attempt to play football, big physical team that got very lucky.

Hibs fan - well done to those who attended. It was colder than I expected.

Referee; after an initial spate of bookings I think he bottled it. He could easily have booked four or five more players having set the standard with a couple of soft bookings. How Shinnie never got booked is baffling.

hibee62
26-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Remember the shoot out at Hampden against Rangers that we won. A guy caked Riordan didn't take one that night and he wasn't a bad player was he?

He had cramped up badly at the end of extra time and was barely able to walk to the spot.

Shaw had one of those nights tonight but that’s not the end of the world, very strange that he or the management team didn’t think the only striker left on the pitch was a good choice for a penalty though. Especially since the one he did take was calm and well finished.

Bayern Bru
26-09-2018, 06:48 AM

I think it's likely they kept Shaw back to have a more natural goalscorer further down the order.

See also: Cummings in the semi v Dundee United, Holt v Brondby, Malonga v Dundee United at ER.

BoomtownHibees
26-09-2018, 07:04 AM
I think it's likely they kept Shaw back to have a more natural goalscorer further down the order.

See also: Cummings in the semi v Dundee United, Holt v Brondby, Malonga v Dundee United at ER.

Tbf I think all of the above were in the first 5

MacGruber
26-09-2018, 07:43 AM
He had cramped up badly at the end of extra time and was barely able to walk to the spot.

Shaw had one of those nights tonight but that’s not the end of the world, very strange that he or the management team didn’t think the only striker left on the pitch was a good choice for a penalty though. Especially since the one he did take was calm and well finished.

Who knows how it was decided - maybe Shaw puts his hand up along with 6 or 7 others for the first 5 kicks and Lennon has to choose 5 from the volunteers and decides to leave Shaw out as he felt his shooting boots weren't on or his confidence would have been affected by earlier misses.
Maybe Shaw doesn't volunteer.
Maybe they had a running order before the game - who knows.

What we do know - just in terms of the penalties is when it did come to Shaw's turn he scored a very good pen under big pressure

gorgie greens
26-09-2018, 08:13 AM
All of the above and............

Milligan, Hydeman and Ambrose played very well. Best I've seen of all these three.

Kamberi is a class act until he tired at the end.

Shaw, think we're asking too much for him to start big games such as this. He would have been better coming on for Kamberi.

Hanlon and Porteous strolled it at the back. Bogdan looked solid.

Aberdeen - they typified everything that's wrong with Scottish football. Zero attempt to play football, big physical team that got very lucky.

Hibs fan - well done to those who attended. It was colder than I expected.

Referee; after an initial spate of bookings I think he bottled it. He could easily have booked four or five more players having set the standard with a couple of soft bookings. How Shinnie never got booked is baffling.

What frustrated me so much last night was Boyle being greedy on a couple of occasions when an easy pass for a tap in but decides to shoot instead but when people criticise Boyle for not scoring enough you can not blame him for shooting.

jacomo
26-09-2018, 08:28 AM

I think this is nonsense tbh.

makaveli1875
26-09-2018, 09:03 AM
1 , The midfield isnt that lightweight after all

2 , Efe is class and Hyndman can play

3 , Aberdeen aint great

4 , Mallan is like Dylan McGeough with a better shot and Set Pieces

5 , We create alot of chances but miss way too many

Hibs1969
26-09-2018, 09:17 AM

I’m not sure he’s blown his chances, but he looked like a laddie last night and highlighted exactly what we’re missing when MacLaren is injured, namely composure, good decision making and a clinical eye for goal. I agree about the hat-trick though. We should have been out of sight by full time.

jacomo
26-09-2018, 09:22 AM
1 , The midfield isnt that lightweight after all

2 , Efe is class and Hyndman can play

3 , Aberdeen aint great

4 , Mallan is like Dylan McGeough with a better shot and Set Pieces

5 , We create alot of chances but miss way too many

Mallan did very well imo. I think there is more he can do when we don’t have the ball. He doesn’t have the positional and defensive nous of Dylan (but does carry much more of a goal threat).

Chic Murray
26-09-2018, 09:24 AM

I think he made it easy for them last night. Will be interesting how he reacts.

Argylehibby
26-09-2018, 11:16 AM

I know Deeks was suffering back then but the post I replied to and yours suggests that Shaw, or the manager, didn't feel he was up to it mentally but perhaps he too was struggling fitness wise but got to a point where he felt he was still more able than the remaining players available to convert one.

Shrekko
26-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Aye- Hibs career over🤨

Speedway
26-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Yeah, those two offered absolutely nothing for them. Finished or just never started and it was mostly hype to begin with?

Jones28
26-09-2018, 11:26 AM

The fact he still went for it, despite NOT fancying it in the first five and scored tells me more.

lyonhibs
26-09-2018, 11:29 AM
The fact he still went for it, despite NOT fancying it in the first five and scored tells me more.

Nah mate, he's blown his chance - nae confidence whatsoever. Shat himself until it was literally "miss and we're out" and then smashed it into the net. Not got it :rolleyes:

Moody Blues
26-09-2018, 11:53 AM
I wish people on here would stop slagging off Ollie Shaw. We all know he is not the finished article yet, a bit lightweight and lacks a wee bit composure at times but he will get there.
He has been thrown in at he deep end due to injuries and did well last night against Aberdeen's uncompromising defenders. I sickens me that posters half of who don't even attend games at Easter Road come out with this kind of s**** and then try to say we are all allowed our opinions. Maybe try encouraging younger players instead of continually posting your negative crap.

lapsedhibee
26-09-2018, 11:55 AM
1. Some fans pay money to see their team win, and they don't care about anything other than the result.

2. Some fans pay money to see good football.

3. After a defeat where we've played good football, hibs.net is a car crash.

euro Hibby
26-09-2018, 12:01 PM
If you consider how he played against Aberdeen in the league game and how he played last night I think there is a big improvement in his holding up play . it is a pity he missed a couple of chances
but so did Flo. Fans are often way to quick to put the boot in and way to quick to sometimes to praise someone on a 90 minute performance. I think Oli has a good chance of making it and thankfully
he banged in his penalty so that will have helped him. Hibs were unfortuante to lose but Aberdeen missed a couple of great chances so we lost and move on...

Golden Bear
26-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Exactly. I thought he played a lot better last night than he did in the recent league game v Aberdeen. To suggest that the lad has mental frailties and lacks ability is absolute nonsense.

hibee62
26-09-2018, 12:06 PM
I know Deeks was suffering back then but the post I replied to and yours suggests that Shaw, or the manager, didn't feel he was up to it mentally but perhaps he too was struggling fitness wise but got to a point where he felt he was still more able than the remaining players available to convert one.

That is a possibility but it wasn’t obvious. Again, I think it’s ok to think Shaw had an out of the ordinary off night, while also being a bit confused as to why he didn’t take a penalty.

Maybe it’s a confidence thing which can be addressed by the management team given how good his penalty was?

bigwheel
26-09-2018, 12:08 PM
1. Some fans pay money to see their team win, and they don't care about anything other than the result.

100 percent - get that on a T-shirt :agree:

ancient hibee
26-09-2018, 12:47 PM
I would say that the biggest miss of all was the Mallan penalty.If he’d scored as it transpired we were through.

we are hibs
26-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Nah mate, he's blown his chance - nae confidence whatsoever. Shat himself until it was literally "miss and we're out" and then smashed it into the net. Not got it :rolleyes:

When did I say he hasn't got it? Posting lies again aye?

we are hibs
26-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I think this is nonsense tbh.

I don't care tbh.

midfield_maestro
26-09-2018, 01:04 PM
I must be missing something here. Shaw scored one of the two most pressurised penalties (the other being Agyepong), because it was sudden death.

Peevemor
26-09-2018, 01:09 PM
I must be missing something here. Shaw scored one of the two most pressurised penalties (the other being Agyepong), because it was sudden death.

As well as whoever took the 5th (Slivka?).

Bayern Bru
26-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Tbf I think all of the above were in the first 5

They were, but if Hibs could win a penalty shootout by scoring the fifth penalty, I think many folk would rather it was Kamberi than Bartley for instance - hence having at least one striker further down the order. :wink:

I'm not saying Shaw did or didn't fancy it - I'd have no way of knowing - just playing devil's advocate!

Malthibby
26-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Yup, we are close to being a very good team, the 'What the Aberdeen fans said' sums up last night's game, we were very unlucky &
we are playing some excellent footie.
However, even if we played to our full potential most weeks, we will still lose matches, that's the real world out there. I'm not saying we
should always be at home to Mr. Sanguine but the bonkers reactions of some ain't useful and ain't proportionate.
Very difficult to ever be happy if it's always half full at best or almost empty.
Smoke a cigar, drink a bottle of fine vino, smell the roses.
GGG

wookie70
26-09-2018, 05:21 PM
The biggest observation I made was we are crying out for 1 or possibly 2 strikers that can challenge the current two starters, who don't look like they will start too often together due to injury. We could have spent a wee bit more in the summer and a semi final appearance at Hampden may well have paid for that outlay. We have even brought competition in for Lewis but have no competition for the most important positions on the park. One of our problems is drawing too many games and having some more strikers may see those games become 3 from 1 point or another round of a cup.

Carheenlea
26-09-2018, 05:29 PM
I noticed that during the break before extra time, McInnes had his team huddled round in a circle and he was conducting quite an intense team talk, while our lads were chatting amongst themselves looking quite relaxed while Lennon and Parker were in discussion just with each other - different ways of doing things I suppose and we still dominated them in extra time, but found the different approaches interesting.