PDA

View Full Version : Gutted, but a lot of questions answered tonight.

Not In The Know
25-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Aberdeen were err... Aberdeen (officially the second best team in the country) and that’s not a debate worth starting. Over the 120 mins we were by FAR the better side. After all the players in and out that was as good as we have played this season. It’s a shame the lottery of penalties had to put us out.

What is clear, is that we have a very very good manager and he has us on the right track.

The league might just be worth focusing on 😉

Hi Heid Yin
25-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Aberdeen were err... Aberdeen (officially the second best team in the country) and that’s not a debate worth starting. Over the 120 mins we were by FAR the better side. After all the players in and out that was as good as we have played this season. It’s a shame the lottery of penalties had to put us out.

What is clear, is that we have a very very good manager and he has us on the right track.

:agree::agree:

CathroMustStay
25-09-2018, 10:30 PM

Damn right, in Lennon we trust!

:flag::nlgwa:flag:

Greenbeard
25-09-2018, 10:32 PM
On tonight's form we should be finishing at least 5 places above them in the league. So if they are a top six side............

Heckys Wheel
25-09-2018, 10:33 PM
I’m sure in the cold light of day there are many positives to take but right now I’m gutted and raging at some of the chances missed.

Steven McLean can f*** off anaw.

Sir David Gray
25-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Based on how we played tonight up until the final third we will be challenging for the title playing like that every week.

Based on how we played in front of goal, we'll be mid table.

Fortunately it's unlike us not to score so if we can get an end product onto that performance tonight we will take some stopping.

eastcoasthibby
26-09-2018, 07:38 AM
I think the reality that was crying out right until the clock ticked past the signing deadline ....that we needed more firepower up front, that what we had was not enough.
It has already hit us this season so far and not just last night, and I hate to say it but it will continue to hurt us in games until January when we will definitely need to bring in another decent calibre forward.

B.H.F.C
26-09-2018, 07:45 AM
You’d have to be pretty miserable to not acknowledge that there was anything positive there last night.

That said, I just feel we have missed a huge chance to win silverware. With the final falling so early, Celtic having their problems and both them and Rangers still trying to juggle Europe and domestic games it was there for us.

greenpaper55
26-09-2018, 07:48 AM
On another night we would have scored three or four, at times we shot when we could have passed and vice versa and it was just a case of a few wrong choices and nothing more. The level of play from Hibs was superb and there is not much wrong with the side when we play like that.

PatHead
26-09-2018, 07:49 AM
I think the reality that was crying out right until the clock ticked past the signing deadline ....that we needed more firepower up front, that what we had was not enough.
It has already hit us this season so far and not just last night, and I hate to say it but it will continue to hurt us in games until January when we will definitely need to bring in another decent calibre forward.

Who do you think we should have signed?

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 07:49 AM
You’d have to be pretty miserable to not acknowledge that there was anything positive there last night.

That said, I just feel we have missed a huge chance to win silverware. With the final falling so early, Celtic having their problems and both them and Rangers still trying to juggle Europe and domestic games it was there for us.

There was definitely a lot of positives, we played very well until it came to sticking the ball in the net - that part was a massive negative to take from last night however.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 07:51 AM

I always feel like this question is used to discredit someone’s view. You can feel we need a certain type of player in a certain position without actually having a name lined up for Hibs to act on.

B.H.F.C
26-09-2018, 07:56 AM
There was definitely a lot of positives, we played very well until it came to sticking the ball in the net - that part was a massive negative to take from last night however.

I agree with that 100%.

It wasn’t bad luck. It was multiple errors by players who should have done better.

SirDavidsNapper
26-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Incredible really. 0-0 going on 5-0. Hope it's just one of those games. At least we're creating chances and carving teams open.

The Leith Dutch
26-09-2018, 08:10 AM
I always feel like this question is used to discredit someone’s view. You can feel we need a certain type of player in a certain position without actually having a name lined up for Hibs to act on.

Not necessarily.
If you look at the players signed many are struggling to see a scenario where we play two up front.

Once MacLaren was in then any striker signed was likely to be a player mainly on the bench. Probably a gamble player that would have accepted that with both him and the club hoping he forced his way into a start.

That meets a request for who the poster thinks fits that bill.

Carheenlea
26-09-2018, 08:53 AM
I think we can really push on from here and enjoy a great season - the side looks better balanced with the addition of Mark Milligan, and some of the early season concerns have been eradicated somewhat for me. Last night was a blow, and Aberdeen know fine well they got out of jail big time, but play like we did last night on a regular basis and we blow a lot in this league away.

Chic Murray
26-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Surely, over 120 minutes, the better team is the one that scores more goals?

However, Aberdeen were poor, and playing for a draw from 60 minutes on, suggests to me that we have more room to improve than them.

where'stheslope
26-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Looking at the stat's from last nights game, if we managed to score from 1/5 shots, it would be us at the top of the league!

But, our other problem is keeping clean sheets, we are losing a goal in nearly every game, if we don't score then it gives the other team hope for a point or three!!

Once we stop conceding we have a better chance of winning games, our play when we are on the ball is outstanding, its when we lose it our cavalier play leaves to many gaps to be exploited by other good teams!

We are not far away from being top 2/3 team at the end of the season, but our defence at the moment needs work!!!!

Wilson
26-09-2018, 09:44 AM
I agree with much of the OP except for the term "lottery of penalties". Surely anyone who saw England's shoot-out win, and the comments about the work they put in to penalties, doesn't regard a shoot-out as a lottery?

It is a phase of the game that can be won or lost just like any other. I notice there is mention of Shaw not being one of the first five penalty takers on another thread. A recognised striker who took a perfectly good pen.... eventually. Baffling. It is perhaps a decision like that that helped us lose this round of penalties.

jacomo
26-09-2018, 10:03 AM
I agree with much of the OP except for the term "lottery of penalties". Surely anyone who saw England's shoot-out win, and the comments about the work they put in to penalties, doesn't regard a shoot-out as a lottery?

It is a phase of the game that can be won or lost just like any other. I notice there is mention of Shaw not being one of the first five penalty takers on another thread. A recognised striker who took a perfectly good pen.... eventually. Baffling. It is perhaps a decision like that that helped us lose this round of penalties.

1. Success or failure in a penalty shoot out often comes down to the keeper guessing the right way. Operative word being ‘guess’. Yes there is a lot you can do to optimise your chances of success, but they are a lottery in a way.

2. This nonsense about Shaw is a total red herring. Did he take a penalty? Yes. Was he successful? Yes. A club’s nominated penalty taker is not always a striker. Shaw is a young player - there are other leaders in the team who rightly stepped up and took responsibility last night.

Smartie
26-09-2018, 10:21 AM
I thought our penalties were generally excellent, even Mallsn's which was saved.

Agyepong's was about an inch away from going in and he'd beaten the keeper. A big unlucky for a youngster on loan who'd stepped up to take a pressure 7th penalty.

Once it reached penalties I don't think we can fairly criticise anyone, including Bogdan. The Aberdeen penalties were very good too.

PatHead
26-09-2018, 10:51 AM

That is not what I meant. A name could be suggested like Shankland but also a player like.......(insert as appropriate).

Notice St Mirren are meant to be signing Simeon Jackson ex Norwich player. Saw him playing for Gillingham years ago when he was a promising youngster. It means players are out there.

Personally I would rather we gave a chance to Shaw and Lewis Allan than take a chance on a lower league English player who has been freed or a player who has failed at two Scottish Premiership clubs.

We will never find out how good they are until we give them a decent chance.

greenlex
26-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Would Simon Murray have bagged one last night?😬

Scorrie
26-09-2018, 11:15 AM

I know there’s a degree of hindsight but pushing the boat out for Shankland from Ayr would have proved a decent signing?

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2018, 06:30 AM

Except we signed our two first choice targets, and with Shaw pushing his way through into the squad and producing something like a goal better than 1 in 3 any other player would have been someone like Brian Graham or Big Dave, a waste of a wage sitting on his erse hardly getting any game time at all.

Yet this mythical superstar would suddenly be someone who'd score the goals that would have beaten Aberdeen?